III

Protect You

If there is anything about Jaehwan Wonshik has never doubted, it's his professionalism.

He smiles at his fans with true happiness radiating from his face, making hearts with his hands and throwing kisses, screaming about how much he loves everyone, how amazing he felt back on the stage. Those are all probably true, but Jaehwan is nowhere near as energetic at the moment as he pretends to be and from the corner of his eye, Wonshik can see Hakyeon about to chew his lower lip off as he stares at Jaehwan intently, trying to catch the moment before Jaehwan breaks.

Jaehwan makes it into the van without needing Hakyeon's or anyone else's help, waving at his fans one last time before he falls back into his seat, shutting his eyes.

The drive to the hotel isn't long but it's enough for Jaehwan to get completely knocked out, and when Hakyeon pulls over by the fire exit they use as the entrance, Jaehwan is sleeping with his head thrown back and his jaw slack.

"," Hakyeon curses and drapes himself over the steering wheel, taking a deep breath. "He's killing himself."

Wonshik turns around, glancing at Jaehwan's sleeping form and there's a kick in his stomach at the sight.

"I don't know what to do about him," Hakyeon says in a strangely trembling voice and Wonshik internally panics when a small sob leaves Hakyeon's throat. "He won't take even just a day off, I— I've told him so many times to just rest a little, but he won't because 'the fans will be disappointed', but— but if I were only his fan, I'd be more disappointed in him for straining himself until he passes out on stage, and he just won't understand."

"His insomnia's getting worse," Wonshik hears himself say against his better judgement. Maybe he shouldn't add fuel to the fire, but it's a problem and Hakyeon has to know, he has to do something because Wonshik can't and it frustrates him to no end.

"He won't go to the psychiatrist anymore," Hakyeon says and sits up straight again, wiping at his face with his hands. "He only went once and said he wouldn't do it again because he's, quote unquote, not crazy. I'm just... so worried about him. He's my best friend."

Wonshik blinks a few, glancing at the rear-view mirror, and from how unmoving Jaehwan is, he looks like he could well be dead.

"I'll take him upstairs," Wonshik says eventually and opens the car door, gathering Jaehwan into his arms.

All Jaehwan does is let his head loll to the side and rest on Wonshik's shoulder as they take the lift, and he won't even budge as Wonshik lays him on the bed, tucking him in.

If Wonshik's fingers run through Jaehwan's prettily styled hair fleetingly, he doesn't wake up and Wonshik leaves his room, leaning against the doorframe with something heavy and unfamiliar settling inside his chest.