Call 7

The 911 Call (A Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“With this, I am assuring you that, you are not the guilty if something goes wrong, or the hero if something goes right, you’re just the mediator and you don’t need to take direct blame or partial blame” Jungkook made a funny expression. “Unless you’re freely talking and ignoring the calls, if you’re doing that, you the murderer”

 

The whole living room let out soft laughs at his comment.

 

Jungkook was doing a conference to the new dispatchers that will be in duty soon. They were young and willing to learn about how to handle a call in any different terms, from suicide calls to kidnapping calls, which he is expert on.

 

“Do you guys have any questions?”

 

One of the girls rise her hands and Jungkook pointed at her. “Why we can’t call back if the line cuts? It’s not more reasonable to call back to connect again with the victim?”

 

He made a negative face. “There’s a good reason for that question. In 2010, one of our dispatchers received a call from a girl that heard how a strange person went inside her house by breaking the glass door of her backyard. She was alone; her parents were on a trip. So she called 911 to ask for help. Our dispatcher told her to hide in the closet or under the bed as police was close to her location,” He made a pause as he shrugged, “but we don’t know how, the caller hanged up the phone and she called her back, making the phone sound and of course, the attacker knew where she was and killed her”

 

Everyone gasped.

 

“Since that day, there’s a very strict politicy about the call back”

 

Another guy rise his hand. “I want to know what kind of calls we can ignore?”

 

“You can’t ignore any calls, ok? That’s a very important question” He said as he pointed the young man. “You have to answer every single call, ok? Even if it’s about a cat that got stuck in a tree. But… we need to know how to recognize calls that really needs police attention. For example: this call” He pressed the buttonof the mp3 player.

 

“911 what’s your emergency?”

 

“Send police right away, I’m pissed”

 

“Please sir, tell me what is going on?”

 

“I’m in McDonalds and I asked for chicken nuggets, I paid and then when she give me the order, she said she didn’t have chicken nuggets but meat balls… I don’t want meat balls, do you think I’m Sweeten or something?”

 

“Sir… I’m sorry but that is not something that requers a 911 call-”

 

“No, it does, you need to send police!”

 

“No sir, I can’t send police for something like that. I need the line free for real situation. You should talk with the manager”

 

“I did and she still said they won’t get my money back”

 

“That’s not something that concerns police, sir, I’m sorry”

 

Taehyung paused the audio. “I need to paused there because what's coming are a bunch of dirty words”

 

Everyone including Jungkook smiled at that.

 

“No nuggets in McDonalds are not our problem ok? We need the line for real emergencies; these kinds of problems can be resolve by talking to the manager or applied at lawsuit against the company but we are not the line for them to call, ok? Nevertheless, we do not… and please write this down on your memory, we do not ignore any calls” Jungkook made a pause and pressed the mp3 button again. “Check this one out”

 

“911 what’s your emergency?”

 

“We’re outside Starbucks, my husband asked for a cold late but what we receive was mocca. The mocca is expiensier than the late, we want our money back and she said she can’t get our money back”

 

“Did you talk to the manager?”

 

“Yeah and she said she still can’t get our money back”

 

“Ma’am I’m sorry but I can’t send police over a late and-”

 

“I swear to God if you’re not coming, I’ll kill that ”

 

He pressed the mp3 again to stop the record.

 

“I guess you already know what happened after that” He said. “Even if it’s a lie, we can’t risk a person’s life, ok? So we send police right away because that is a direct threat”

 

Jungkook pointed another guy who rise his hand.

 

“Is there any punishment for people who make pranks and calls as a joke?”

 

He nodded. “Yeah, they can go to jail from three to five years. It’s something severe to call to a 911 line only to make yourself a fun time…ok? And you can inform that to the caller if it’s obvious it’s a joke”

 

Everyone nodded at him.

 

“Is there any other question?”

 

No one said anything.

 

“Ok, what about if we take 10 minutes of break, after that we gather around and we’ll go to the room” He smiled to everyone. “Please write any question you got, any doubt, any silly doubt is worth it, because it’s better to be silly here in the introduction, than down there in the real hell”

 

“Yes!” Everyone responded.

 

All the people got dismissed by him and after a while, the room stayed empty, only Taehyung and Jungkook were there eating and drinking their own snacks.

 

“This conference is kind of lit” Taehyung said, after taking a sip of his juice. “Do you remember when we were sited right there, beside the coffee machine?”

 

Jungkook laughed. “Well, that coffee machine wasn’t there when we first came”

 

“Right! Right!” Taehyung said, finding that amusing while playing with the straw. “It’s kind of cute to be in this position instead of the other one”

 

Jungkook got close to him with a teasing smile. “I bet they are so scared of what they’ll do” They both laughed. “I know for a fact they’ll piss in their pants their first day”

 

Taehyung laughed but hit his shoulder playfully. “Don’t be so mean, you were scared to death the first time as well!”

 

He rolled his eyes. “Oh come on Tae! Let me bully at least for a little, you have any idea how Yoongi bully us when we first came? I want to do that as well… it’s fun!”

 

They were entertained by their conversation that they didn’t noticed one of the newbies entering in the room towards them.

 

She hesitated to walk towards the guys but she did it anyway with a notebook in her hands.

 

“Uh?” She was a bit shy to say his name so she made a little sound for them noticed her. Which they did. “Can I ask you something?”

 

Jungkook nodded with a smile as it was with him.

 

“I heard outside that you were the one who answered a kidnap in process of a girl” She commented. “I watched on the news as well… uh… how did you moved on from that?”

 

His face went from a bright smile to a sad expression, an awkward silence filled the room and he started to gaze at the floor.

 

Taehyung’s eyes widened open and stood up quickly.

 

“Uh… I’ll tell you outside” He said as he pulled her out of the room leaving Jungkook alone.

 

Well, he was a bit sad how everything ended; sadly he didn’t know anything about her after the call ended, because no one in the room let him call her back.

 

T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter