the doubts

Stardust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                        #02 the doubts

 

 

After a day, a month, a year

I thought I’d be smiling and thinking back on it

I’m not like that

It won’t be easy for me

“I’m hanging out with Hyeran. You okay with that?”

“Yeah, go ahead.”

“Okay.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Baekhyun?” I squinted, rubbing my eyes to ensure I wasn’t seeing things.

 

I was at the library studying for my finals as usual, blasting lightsaber while I attempted to read through a years’ worth of notes. Listening to upbeat songs at full volume wasn’t actually the right choice to make for I was a person who tended to be easily distracted, thus I would find myself bobbing my head and moving my body along to the beat, leaving practically no chance for me to actually concentrate. Today was no exception. I had scrambled from my seat when somebody snatched my copy of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Economics, paperback version, from the table when I was in the process of reading, looked up and found the Byun Baekhyun flipping through the book with a bored expression on his face. He made a face as he snapped the book shut before turning to face me.

 

“This stuff’s pretty basic.” He commented, taking in the messy desk where half my stationery had been let loose with pieces of paper all over the place. He let out a soft snigger.

 

I snatched the book from him with a frown. “Basic for you but not basic for me.” I internally cringed at the dog-ear that had formed at the bottom of the cover page, unconsciously pouting as I smoothed the edges to get it back to its original pristine state. “Anyway,” I continued, placing the book down after failing to unfold the dog ear. “What are you doing here?”

 

He seemed to have been watching me the entire time as he blinked in surprise when I spoke but quickly recovered and raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Does the fact that I go to this university as well ring a bell?”

 

“Ah right. You told me the other day.” I shook my head and he sighed. With that, he promptly plopped his down onto the empty seat opposite me and rested his head on the palms of his hands and proceeded to stare at me. Snorting, I sent him a mini glare before resuming my notes making. I grabbed a blank piece of paper from my file, as well as a ruler, and proceeded to divide the page into two halves. It was only when I had measured the length of the A4 paper, used my calculator to calculate what half of 29.7cm was (14.85cm), and marked the middle point to the best of my abilities did I look up to see Baekhyun observing me with interest.

 

“Do you always do this?”

 

I blinked at him in confusion. “Do what?”

 

He gestured to the ruler and calculator. “Be so precise when you’re just splitting a piece of paper into half.”

 

I shrugged nonchalantly. “I feel weird if I don’t do this. It’s kind of like my pet peeve.” I glanced up at the male through my eyelashes. “I’m guessing you’ve never seen anyone like this before?”

 

He shook his head. “No, it’s not that. It’s just…”

 

“Just what?”

 

He stared at me with an unreadable expression. “It’s just been a long time since I’ve seen someone that unique.”

 

I snorted. “Please, I’m sure many people do this, or are worst.”

 

He let out a soft chuckle, glancing at me every few seconds before returning to resting his head on his palms and staring once again. I ignored him initially and resorted to side eyeing him every few minutes, but he was in the same position every single time I looked up. Finally, I pushed my notes aside and took a deep breath, unable to ignore him any longer. Baekhyun’s eyes flickered up to mine and a wide smile spread across his lips when he noticed I was giving him the attention he wanted.

 

“What do you want?” I sighed in defeat. “Why do you keep staring?”

 

He merely chuckled and shrugged in reply.

 

I frowned at him. “If you’re fooling around with me then I’m just going to go back to studying.” With that said, I leaned forward to reopen my book but stopped when Baekhyun suddenly reached out and grabbed my arm.

 

“Do you want to get ice cream? My treat.” He grinned.

 

“Now?”

 

“No, tomorrow.” He rolled his eyes sarcastically. “Wait, that actually made sense.”

 

I sniggered at his failed attempt at sarcasm. “Can we even do that?”

 

He tilted his head to the side in a manner that made him look like a sad puppy who couldn’t play with his toys. The pout on his lips made him even cuter then he already was, and it took quite a bit of effort not to reach across and pat his head like the puppy he was. “Why not?”

 

“I mean you are my best friend’s boyfriend, and…” I hesitantly gestured between the two of us. “I’m Ji Soo’s best friend. She might not like the idea of this.”

 

Baekhyun stilled for a moment, and I took that opportunity to study him for that few seconds. It was as if he had forgotten that he was dating my best friend, but before I could comment on it that look in his eyes was gone. He sighed before pulling out his phone and typing a message. Curious, I craned my neck to take peak at his screen but he only shielded the device away from me with a teasing grin on his lips as I stuck my tongue out at him and leaned back in mock disappointment. He didn’t have to wait long for a reply for the device dinged almost immediately, signifying a new incoming message. Whatever it said must have been in his favour for a smile bloomed on his lips as he stared at the screen. Looking up from the device, he pulled me from my seat excitedly.

 

“Problem solved. She said it’s okay.” His eyes twinkled. Let’s go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I want mint chocolate chip.”

 

“But I want strawberry.”

 

“But you said you were treating me to ice cream.”

 

“Which is why I should get to choose the flavor since I’m paying.”

 

“Noooo.” I whined. “I don’t like strawberry.”

 

He scrounged his nose upon hearing me whine. “Fine fine, you big baby. We’ll get the mint chocolate chip.”

 

I clapped my hands in glee when he relayed our orders to the staff and happily snatched received my treat when it was ready. Without waiting for Baekhyun, I excitedly bounded over to a corner seat next to the window and dug in.

 

He walked over a minute later and sniggered just as I let out a moan of satisfaction the cold treat was giving me. For some reason, I didn’t realise how much I was craving for ice cream but I was glad I followed Baekhyun to get some.

 

“Does ice cream make you this happy every time?” He chuckled, taking a tissue and wiping the left side of my lips where some of the ice cream had smeared. I paused, feeling my face heat up immediately, my cheeks probably turning all shades of pink further. The growing smirk on Baekhyun’s lips told me I was correct.

 

“I lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter