Recruitment: Part 6

Classified

(Narrator's POV) 

Mia stared at Hoseok confused. She wasn't the only one. Jimin and Taehyung were looking at each brows furrowed in surprise with a hint of confusion. 

"Bro, what do you mean?" Jimin asked. 

"Please, everyone sit down." Agent Bang ordered. Jimin and Taehyung immediately sat down on the left sofa, Hoseok sat on the right. Agent Bang got up and walked around the desk. He pulled out one of the chairs and sat down closer to the sofas. He looked at Mia expectantly as she remained standing. Thinking better, she decided not to test his patience... just yet. She took a seat beside Hoseok. 

"What's your name?" Agent Bang asked. 

"Mia." She responded. He raised an eyebrow, intrigued by her vagueness. He took her in again. The way she sat on the edge of the sofa, as if ready to make an escape at the smallest opportunity. He remembered how she had quickly analyzed the room upon entering. The way her eyes were alert and calculating. He picked up on the subtle confidence with which she held herself. He smiled inwardly. 

"Who are you, Mia?" He asked. 

"Nobody. I have no affiliations with anyone." A smart answer. But not the one he wanted.

Agent Bang studied Mia. 

"Why were you there the night of Jessica El Diego's kidnapping? What is your relationship with her?" 

Mia contemplated the answer. Four sets of eyes rested on her, studying her every move. Who are these people? What do they want? She wondered. Usually if she knew what the opposite party desired, she could fabricate some story to match it. But that was not the case this time. She didn't know what these people expected from her. 

"That day was my first time meeting her. I met her by chance. I was walking by when she was being harassed. I stepped in. She was a little too touched by the gesture I guess. She wouldn't leave me alone. Anyways, she ended up dragging me to that underground party. The rave." Mia glanced at Hoseok. A small smile played on his lips. 

"We got separated. Then um..." 

"I realized I lost the real target. I must have come across too aggressive. Mia here freaked out. She knocked me down and took off running. I followed her, of course, but I'm pretty sure she realized I was on her trail. She used a fire escape to reach the rooftops. She lost me there. I didn't know where she went from up there. I lost her for a short while. But I quickly caught her trail. When I saw her again she was beating up one of Valdez's men. The poor soul didn't stand a chance. When I tried stepping in and taking control of the situation, she broke my hand and ran off." 

Jimin and Taehyung stared between Hoseok and Mia with mouths hanging open. One thought running through their heads. The boys had trained for years to reach the level they were at now. How had she bested them? Just who was this Mia girl? 

------ 
(OC POV) 

I nodded. That was what had happened, more or less. 

"Why?" Agent Bang asked. It was weird. I didn't feel like I was being persecuted, but at the same time, the unfamiliarity of the situation had my nerves in a jumble. 

"Sorry?" 

"Why did you go after Jessica? And even before that, why did you save her?" 

I sat there in confusion. Did he really just asked why I had saved her? My stare hardened. 

"I don't understand what you mean, Agent." I replied, my voice cold. He raised an eyebrow. Hoseok stared at me with an emotion I couldn't really place. Surprise? Horror? Amusement? Or something else? 

"I mean, what was your purpose behind saving her? Are you related? Was she your friend? You said you met her just that day. So then, Ms. Mia, why did you feel the need to save Ms. El Diego?" 

I sighed. This was the problem with the world. People were cowards. I get it, it's a survival instinct to want to protect your own behind. We have to put our interests first to ensure that we survive, but isn't it wrong to not do anything and watch the world around you rot? Is it okay to just watch bad things happen when you are perfectly capable of intervening? No, I don't think it is. And I told Agent Bang exactly that. The room rested in silence. 

"I don't believe in watching like a bystander as innocent or weak people are abused. I saved her, because it was my duty. I saved her because I learnt she was in trouble. I saved her, because as a part of this extremely social species, as a human being, I felt the need to protect her." I took a deep breath. Had I overdone it? I hadn't ever voiced my opinions out loud to anyone. But it felt right. I felt proud. I glanced around the room. A hint of shock hinted in their eyes. I looked at the three boys again. They had put on poker faces. But before they had, I had seen a look of understanding dawn in their eyes. I relaxed ever so slightly. 

"Such interesting ideals in someone so young." Agent Bang murmured. I tried not to smile. He hadn't said he agreed with me, yet it felt like I had been complemented. "And where may I ask, did you learn such ideals?" He continued. I stared at my restrained hands resting on my lap. My mouth had a mind of its own. I began telling my story before I could stop myself. 

"... when I was five, I was kidnapped. The man who kidnapped me dressed as a delivery man. I was playing outside, when he drove up in the mail truck. He said he needed help carrying the parcels because there were so many. He drugged me and took me from right in front of my house. There was this man that used to stay on the end of my street. Suho something. I didn't even know much about him before that day. He rarely left his house. But that day, well I don't know why, but he decided to go out. He witnessed the man taking me and driving away. I don't know what would have happened to me, if that man hadn't saved me. I was unconscious so I don't really know how, but that man saved me. He got hurt, but he had saved me. It took me awhile to get over that day. I used to be scared to even step outside of the house to go to school. One day Suho came to visit me. I guess my mom had told him that I was having a hard time recovering. He came over, and we talked. He told me  to be strong, he told me if I was strong I could protect myself and others. He offered to teach me. From then on, he came over every so often to teach me something new. He taught me how to fight, and he taught me about life. I think it was when I was much older that I learned everyone wasn't like him. Everyone didn't share his natural instinct to help others. I learned the hard way that there were people who'd turn a blind eye, rather than be inconvenienced by getting involved in others problems. I was crying when he found me. I asked him then, why he had done it. Why he had saved me. He said he believed in the ways of the Order of the Black Knights. It was a story he had told me when he had first started to teach me self defence. A story about a group of warriors that emerged from this little corrupted town. Warriors that were lethal fighters, and enlightened souls. They did not fight for money, land, resources, or women. They fought for the rights of people. A group of Robinhoods, if you must. The Black Knights were warriors that fought against evil, for no other purpose but that it was the right thing to do. His little story sparked something in me. I wanted to be a Black Knight. I wanted to join the Order. I wanted to meet people like the Black Nights. I wanted to know there were people who were good. Mor people like Suho. 

"Meeting Suho was the best thing that ever happened to me. That's why I was so distraught when he suddenly disappeared. No word, no message. Just gone. He left without a goodbye..." Unexpectedly, tears brimmed my eyes threatening to fall. My cheeks burned. What was I doing? I had just told my life story to a group of strangers. Who had kidnapped me no less. How had I ended up in this situation? In a foreign place, sitting in a room with strangers, recalling my childhood memories... I twisted my wrists against the restraints that still held them together. My hands felt numb. 

Hoseok grabbed my hands. My eyes widened. Before I could react, the restraints become undone, falling into my lap. He let go. "Thank you," I mumbled. I rotated my wrists, trying to get feeling back. 

"Hoseok, gave me a report on his mission today," Agent Bang moved on. He must have debriefed him when I was knocked out by the taser. "He said you were caught transporting drugs." 

"No! I mean, yes. But I didn't know they were drugs. I was just getting paid to receive a package and deliver it. Please, believe me. I'm not that kind of person." I struggled to keep my voice even, but it became more and more desperate as I tried to explain. 

"Who gave you the job? And where were you expected to drop off the package?" I contemplated my answer. If I told them, my reputation would be ruined. I would never get another job. And if I revealed the information of the drop off location, it could be seen as a code of violation. I mean I realize it was shady business, and there was no actual written law, but I'm pretty sure it was an unspoken rule that the identities of the parties were meant to remain confidential. It was a code of honor.

"A code of honor will not do you any good in jail, Mia. Tell us the information, if you wish to prove your innocence." Agent Bang said, reading my mind. 

Well, I no longer had much of a choice, did I? I gave them the name of the man who gave me the different jobs. Sorry, Mason. I also gave them the address of the drop off location as well. 

"Jimin and Taehyung, take the address to Seokjin and Namjoon. Brief and employ the two to the drop off location. You two will go after Mason. Lets get this done tonight." Jimin nodded. He and Taehyung left the room. 

Agent Bang returned his attention to me. "Now, Ms. Mia, I believe it's time for a demonstration of your skills." 

I frowned. "What?" 

"Demonstrate your ability to fight. I'm curious of the extent of your skills. It's not every day someone bests one of my boys. Do so, and I will let you walk. You'll be free to leave." 

Again, the way Agent Bang said that showed I didn't really have a choice. Bitting my tongue, I agreed.