Recruitment: Part 3

Classified

I raised the rod, warning him not to come closer.

He held up his hands. "Listen. I'm not the bad guy, but I can't allow you to remember what happened tonight." He stepped forward lifting a tiny tube. Memory spray.

My thoughts flashed to five years ago. That tube triggered painful memories. I swung the rod. The spray clattered to the floor. Hoseok clutched his hand in pain. I bolted.

I didn't look back. I'm sorry Jessica. I couldn't save you this time. For your sake, I hope he was telling the truth.

------------------
Two Months Later 
Seattle 07h00
------------------

I sat on a stool at the back of the tiny coffee shop. An untouched coffee cup sat in front of me, getting colder. The shop was busy; the morning rush hour brought many customers in.

I held a novel in my hand. To anyone not paying attention it would look like I was reading, when in reality my eyes were darting from person to person, scanning the shop over the little paperback. My phone vibrated.

<Target has arrived> I look up. There were a set of people leaving the shop. Two people were also entering. Men. Dressed in black coats. Black face masks covering their mouths. And there! Bingo. A single red glove on their left hands.

They made their way through the crowd heading to the bathroom. I slid from my seat. Purposefully moving in their way, I bumped into the man on the right.

"Tu es?" He asked, voice low. (You are?)

"La messagère." I reply. (The Messenger)

He retrieved a small, chunky envelope from inside his coat.

I opened the bag I was wearing. He slipped the package into the bag. With a nod, I left the coffee shop and my untouched coffee cup.

-----

I couldn't help smiling. That had been a piece of cake. This might not be so bad.

Footsteps caught my attention. I had been hearing the same footsteps for the past ten minutes now. I was walking down a small side street. I tilted my head slightly. Sure enough I saw a dark figure out of the corner of my eyes. It might not be anything to worry about. However, my gut twisted; I could sense trouble. Instinctively, I crossed the street.

Turning around I began walking in the other direction. Now I could see them clearly. There were two of them, clad in black.

They split up and came at me. 
I ran. The backpack slapped against my back, annoyingly. I wanted to throw it away. But if I did that...

The footsteps were right behind me. They caught up to me faster than I would have liked.

One of them kicked me, sending me flying. I landed on the cold pavement, flinging my hands out to absorb the impact, but my head still snapped back violently. My hands stung from where I had broken my fall.

I rolled onto my back. There was one guy towering over me. Hadn't there been two of them?

I felt metal against my wrists. Before I could react, my wrists were tied behind my back. Well I guess I know where the second one is now.

I looked at the two fingers more carefully now. One taller, one shorter. Both wearing similar black face masks. A series of things were clipped to their belts. Some I could make out as tiny weapons, others were completely foreign to me.

I looked up at the two of them, glaring, still situated on the ground. I couldn't believe it. Why? Why did I have to say it was a piece of cake? The universe just loves proving me wrong.

My eyes met with the taller one's, his eyes widened. Familiar eyes. "You!"

My eyes mirrored his shock, except mine were tinged with fear as well.

"H-Hoseok?"