Recruitment: Part 1

Classified

------------------
Vancouver 20h00
------------------

One night. I just wanted one night.

Tomorrow, life could continue, but tonight, I was going to let loose.

I was in an underground tunnel setting. Graffiti covered the walls. Someone was beating on drums. The sound thundered within me. I closed my eyes, swaying to the beat. This place was raw. Unpredictable. Dangerous. I loved it.

Eyes still closed, drunk in the music, I moved forward.

What am I doing?

I opened my eyes. There were people everywhere. Dancing, drinking, having fun. My feet were itching to join in, but I couldn't make myself. My life revolved around being alert, on my feet, moving, fleeing, surviving. Letting loose hadn't been part of it.

I pulled the leather jacket I was wearing tighter around me, trying to cover what was being revealed underneath. They weren't my clothes. I would never wear something so...well revealing. It was a black crop top with strings crisscrossing above my chest to my neck. A small, embarrassingly small, skirt rested on my hips. But the clothes fit in, and more importantly, they were meant to be danced in. The bottom of the skirt was shredded so that it swirled and jumped when you moved. I had borrowed the outfit from the girl I had saved on the streets. The same girl, Jessi, that had brought me here. In all honesty, saved was a generous word. She was being abused by some jerk. I had made a somewhat sassy remark, then kicked him in the place where I knew it would hurt. Then I ran. With Jessi in tow. And now I was here. Some, underground rave. I had always wanted to go to a rave.

No one knows you here. Just live a little.

And I would... After I grabbed a drink. I escaped to the edge where tables were set up with drinks. There was a couple making out to my right, and they were really going at it. They eventually broke apart. I guess I had been staring, because now the guy was staring back, with an eyebrow raised. I looked away. Oh god! Had my mouth been hanging open the entire time?

"First time?"

No, no, no, please, no. Don't be talking to me. Don't be talking to me. I turned my head slightly. Sure enough. The guy who was having his face attacked- sorry, kissed- was staring at me.

I gave him a small nod. Don't encourage him.

"Don't care much for chitchat, huh?" He had messy dark hair, eyes that kind of drooped to the side. He had a long nose and a strong jaw. He was leaning against the table wearing a poker face.

I shrugged. His gaze moved down. I could feel it grazing over my body. I shivered. The nerve! This guy was so blunt. His eyes returned to my mine. His eyes sparkled. His lips smiled slightly. Was he-no. No, he was. He was laughing at me.

I gave him a glare and walked away. Wait my drink. I stomped back, without looking at him, I grabbed the can and left once more. I heard him laugh. Blood rushed to my cheeks. He was infuriating.

But there was something about him... Against my better judgement I looked back. He had disappeared. Relieved and disappointed at the same time, I made my way to the center where a large circle was forming.

I squeezed my way to the front. It was a dance off. A girl and guy were dancing. The girl was like a firework. Energetic and wild. The guy didn't stand a chance. The first guy moved out, and another one replaced him, and what do you know, it was the dark haired guy from before.

And he was amazing. He was on a different level. His musicality, his flow. Everything was amazing. His moves were sharp, and one move flowed to the next. Watching him move was breathtaking. The girl backed out and was replaced by a guy in a fedora. The face off was intense. The music changed. The beat was funky and upbeat. His feel completely changed. I don't know how long I stared. It was beautiful. It made me want to dance, too.

The guy spun coming to a stop, facing me. We locked eyes. He smiled.

He advanced, dancing. My heart sped up. I tried backing up, but the crowd was unwilling. He was right in front of me. He came closer. He put his hand on the small of my back, pulling me into the center. I stood there, frozen in panic. I could feel the eyes on me. I lived in the shadows. I lived being overlooked. And now, everyone's eyes were on us, on me. I couldn't move. The guy started dancing.

He finished his part. It was my turn.

I glanced around. Some people were snickering. Some were full on laughing. Anger flared in my chest. I faced the guy. Who did he think he was?

I ped my jacket letting it drop. I heard some idiots in the crowd whistle. I ignored them.

The beat quickened and I danced. Matching the beat. I was not on his level. I knew that. But I wasn't going to let him make a fool out of me. My eyes closed, as I drowned in the music, letting it control me. Is he still laughing at me?

I opened my eyes. Huh? Where is he?

Someone grabbed my wrist, turning me around. It was him. He placed his other hand on my waist. We moved together. He guided the dance, I let him. He danced, and I matched his moves, with my own.

The music sped up, reaching its . We moved faster and faster, separating and rejoining. He whirled me, and then as the end of the music drew near, he dipped me. And then it was over.

For a moment there was silence, just our heavy breathing. We stared at each other. Then cheers. He smiled, pulling me up.

The circle broke apart as another song started up. People began dancing around us.

He grabbed my wrist, pulling me. I stopped him, he turned. I shook my head. I had never had so much fun.

"I want to dance."

And so I danced. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw him watching me. I wanted to dance with him. I danced in front of him. Inviting him to join. Don't reject me. Please.

He didn't.