2024

His Diary, Her Diary, My Diary & the unknown

The story begins with  you 's diary. I am the main character, fresh,young 20s trying out love for the first time. It's not that I've never liked someone. I really do have,a lot.

   Preschool, Billy, Elementary school, Ken, Middle school, Kyuhyun, High school, Minho. But those were all just silly young love. Moreover I never had even tried to express my true feelings. I'm very shy yet I'm a bubbly person. While all my friends are dating, I've been single all the way up till graduation. After school everyone's gone chasing their dreams following their own paths. Some of my classmates have been engaged, some has became moms and dads. I sigh on how bad I am in love. Until, I decided to take piano lesson. 

 

My diary, 29 March 2024.

Dear Diary, I'm working a late shift at CoffeeSmith (커피 스미스 홍대점) .

   Normally on Friday's I work in the morning due to not having any classes, but today they had called and wanted me to come in at 5PM. The clock hands were rolling closer to eight and I was getting worried that I really would be kept here until really late. 

   I have tons of assignments and I was really anxious to get a head start on doing homework and Joy, you know her right diary? My best friend Joy. We've had planned to actually enjoy the day tomorrow but it looked like that wouldn't happen.

   As I continue my work as a barista, the bell over the door rang as a customer walked in. There were a couple people sitting at tables in the back but otherwise there was no one inside. I was working the counter and drinks as no one else wanted to work Friday night. I popped my head up from behind the counter as I rummaged for some more cups.

   I the saw a man who didn't usually come in. He seemed like someone I've known before and his looks were quiet charming also he seems like the same age as me. I really felt sure I had seen him somewhere else before which could have been true but she doubted it.

   I ask him cheerfully as what good employee's should treat customers, "Hello. How can I help you?". My fingers were ready to punch numbers into the cash register.

   He greeted me back and looked up at the menu. He was as if reciting off of a list, then named four drinks. That was actually a lot of cups for one person. But anyways, I sighed and punched it all in as he handed me a coffeesmith card and I swiped it, "What name do you want on the cups?"

   "Chanyeol." He said.

I nodded and wrote it on all the appropriate cups, I even apologized if I make his orders a little late. He told me it was alright and that his friends could wait. I smiled and told him how weird his friend's tastes are as I went to make the vanilla latte.

  Surprisingly he agreed. "Yeah, I guess. I mean,usually someone else comes in and gets the drinks,so I'm a little out of place. Don't get me wrong, I drink CoffeeSmith just not at this one." Chanyeol answered me.

   So I've never seen him before. But he seems familiar somehow. "Have we met?" I said as I finished the latte and set it on the counter, beginning to make the next one.

   "Yeah." Chanyeol commented and sat down at the bar near the counter, "We were in the same high school." When he said that I literally wanted to let go my grip of the drinks I was holding but I didn't. I was really surprised to know that this good looking guy goes to the same high school as me. He then asked me a silly question, "You think I'm handsome?" 

   If i could puke, I would. "Sorry was my reaction out of line? I mean, I barely remember who you are. I guess you have changed a lot." That's what i told him to cover up and finished the third drink and started on the last one. He told me I was not out of line at all. He then recalled old high school memories.That's when I realize he was that shy, talk less, smart kid in my class. Okay this fact is funny.

   Diary, explain how he can be so handsome now. I mean, he was called Baby Powder as he was so white and his face was like Charlie Puth no offense but he was just so white but now...way more cute? 

   "Sorry to shock you. Its been a long time has it?" I just sneered at him. By the way I see him, Chanyeol sure talks a lot now.

  "Sorry I didn't recognize you earlier. I'm just usually busy with studies and doing my own thing." I told him, pushing the last drink onto the counter. "Yea collage. What did you take?" I told him where I went and I also asked him where he studies too as I put the drinks in a holder and then held them out to him. He thanked me and said he'd come again. 

 

Unknown Diary, 29 March 2024

It's me,

   Friday's are always the best day. But today is different. Prof gave too much assignments to complete today. We're having the discussion in the park late at night. Yesung, Junggigo and Baekhyun are on my team and I don't understand why they wanted to do it in the park under the shining moon so much. Anyways, thankfully the park is always bright with those lamps all over the place. Sigh. They want coffee. We played rock-paper-scissors and i lost. 

   As I walk my way to buy coffee, I question myself how I'm such a loser in playing rock-paper-scissors. This one particular girl always beats me. I smile to myself remembering her. I was new to high school, and she was sitting behind me. I even asked a guy who I made friends within a day and asked "Is she smart?"

   Remembering why I asked her that was embarrassing enough but she heard me and said , "Yes I am." The second year I was still with her in the same class and guess it was our last year in high school we got quite close. She was  bubbly girl. She loves to play games with mostly everyone in the class. Usually with the boys. Well there were only five boys in the class anyways so probably all of us knows how she is and plays along.

   We'd play card games, bingo, dumpling luck and so many more. I even battled her the bottle flip challenge. But she won. I at games. And still I play. 

   I smile to myself as I arrived at CoffeeSmith and opened the door. The bell made a sound. I've never been the one ordering coffee. But because I'm teamed up with those boys, even if I lost the rock-paper-scissors game, I'd still probably be the one going. 

   There was only one employee taking over the cafe tonight. She seemed busy arranging things. As I came closer to the counter, she peeped from behind the counter. It was her.

   I didn't wanted to pounce on her my overjoy ness meeting her after all these years of silence, so i remained calm. I could tell from her face that she does not recognize me. She greeted me and asked what she could do for me. "Yeah,hey." I looked at the menu trying to cover up my smiles and named four drinks and thanked her before i even get my drinks.

   After giving out my order, I could tell she was tired. It was already 9PM, the cafe's business hours ends at 10PM. As she punched my order, I could also tell that she's been working over the counter for a long time. But she doesn't shows it to the customers. Typical you . Staying strong and cheerful as always.

   She asked me what name I want on the cups. "Chanyeol," i told her. Silently waiting for her to realize that I used to be her classmate. But she just nodded away and busily wrote my name on all of the cups. "It'll be a little late. Sorry, I'm the only one working." I ndded saying, "It's alright. My friends can wait  little longer for their drinks." She also commented "You're friends have interesting tastes."

   I couldn't agree less. I told her that I don't usually get the drinks and boldly told her that I do drink coffeesmith just to make a good impression that i drink the drinks from the same cafe company she works.

  As she was making the drinks, her facial expressions seemed like she had something to say. I waited for her. Then she asks if we've ever met before. It was like a 'ting' . I couldn't help but to smile when she questioned me as I sat down at the bar near the counter. trying to calm myself. 

   Finally I revealed that me and her go to the same high school. She looked shocked. I wondered to myself if my looks has changed that much that she's taken aback knowing the fact we were classmates. So I ask her, if i look handsome. The drink in her hand, it was shaking. Her eyes became soft after three seconds. 

   She asked if her expression was out of line and apologized. "No not at all." I told her. Then we started talking about back in high school. She laughed when I talked about the games we'd play with the other friends in class when we're bored. 

   After the warm conversation about the old days, I started apologizing to her. More like to myself. It's incredible to meet someone that I know and miss for a long time. I don't know what she's thinking but i hope its the same. She also apologized that she didn't notice me sooner. That's a shame. Well for me it is. But it's okay.

   Not loosing my opportunity, I asked her where she furthered her studies.She told me she's in Kyung Hee University and I told her I'm in Seoul National University. She placed the drinks in their holders and politely hands it to me. I hope I meet her again.

 

His Diary, 30 April 2024

Hello Diary, today I have piano lessons again.

   I'm so lazy to go but I want to go. I took these lessons just for fun, but now it seems that I have to finish what I've started. Mom and dad are encouraging me to pursue my talent and just as a hobby. Saying this now reminds me of the old days.

   When I was five years old,my parents sent me to a kindergarten and paid extra money for piano lessons. Mom and dad wanted me to play the piano to learn something rather than do nothing. I liked it very much it became one of my hobbies. My teacher, Mr. Yiruma was very strict but he was a well-known pianist. He has retired a long time ago as a pianist and became a teacher after that. Opening private piano classes. and I was one of his students.

   I wouldn't say i like Mr. Yiruma. But I would say I love the way he slays his piano.Tonight class was going to start as usual at 6PM. i couldn't wait to see my piano friends. Mr. Yiruma had canceled class session for 2 weeks. So I obviously have a lot to catch up tonight.

   When I arrived Sanduel, Ken, and other students were already there. Mr. Yiruma hasn't entered in the auditorium hall yet. So we did normal guy talk as usual. But then, I saw an unfamiliar face walking inside the room along with Mr. Yiruma. My eyes were on her as she walked in and took a seat far at the back well not far but kinda.

   Mr. Yiruma introduced her as a new member of his class. "She's finally here," whispered Sanduel. I was literally like eh? So I asked him if he knows the new girl. Sanduel told me she is the girl who goes to the same high school as me and him and Ken. I then ask what class was she in. 

   For some reason I wanted to know where she came from. "First class oh and she goes to Kyunghee Univ," answered Sanduel. When Sanduel said that I was literally blown away. She goes to the same high school with me and also currently goes to Kyunghee University.

   That's where I go!

Seriously, I couldn't stop staring at her for some reason. She seemed like a very quiet person. She looks okay. Guess she's not the talker type. I was suddenly curious if she knows how to exactly play a piano. But since she used to be in the top class back in high school probably she's a fast learner. I didn't want to think much of her as I wanted to focus on Mr. Yiruma. As usual, he gave us homework on our posture and told us next class on nth September he wants to hear everyone play any piece as he wants to categorize our levels.

 

My Diary, 30 April 2024

Dear diary, how I've longed to take piano lessons.

   I have a keyboard at home and I always play that....Guess what? Dad called me and told me he found a private piano class by Mr. Yiruma whom to be my favorite pianist. I couldn't say no more and quickly searched up for Mr. Yiruma's contact number on the internet.

   I called him. Luckily his class is on tonight so I said I'd come. Finally yes! I have found a great qualified teacher who can guide me. I was so thrilled to learn new knowledge and technical theories and then become a good pianist. I have been waiting this moment. Why did it come now? I'm so worried if my piano talent has become rusty. It sure has been a long time since i left my keyboard. Anyways, I wouldn't afford the fee. But now I have this part time job. So I could go.

   It's my first time taking piano lessons for real so I was very very very afraid to meet Mr. Yiruma's students. It will be a new world. I'd meet with new people. This was what I was definitely afraid of, I don't quite know how to make a conversation. 

   I have arrived infront of the auditorium hall."You arrived just on time," he said and went in first. I followed his back. I couldn't breath it was so exciting!!

   All of the people whom I guess is his students looked at me. More like staring. That's when I felt awkward-----

   I took a seat at the back. I lowered my gaze. I didn't even had time to look around. I was all shy and scared of the new society that I've got myself in. But I know that Sanduel takes piano lessons here. I texted him about coming here. Because his girlfriend, Irene is my friend so I told her about Mr. Yiruma and she told me Sanduel goes here. Well to be honest i told every person in my circle of friends that I'm taking piano lessons. hi hi.

   "That's  you ." I heard my name being mentioned by a voice I know, Sanduel. I see his half back side profile. He was sitting at the front left with his other friends. "First class and she goes to Kyunghee Univ." A boy who was sitting beside Sanduel looked at me. We locked eyes for two seconds.

   I'm so curious now. Who is that guy with Sanduel? Why does he look so shocked. First class? Kyunghee University? Wait are they talking about me? If so, why does that boy looks so surprised? 

   Anyways I didn't think much about him. But for a minute, he does looks kinda cute. I still wonder what about me in first class and going to Kyunghee Univ. Sigh. I better not go on thinking about who he is. Or not, i'll have a crush on him. And when I have a crush oh please. I do not want to cry for a guy that does not even notices me. Diary please, don't make me like him.

   Not to forget, Mr. Yiruma gave us a task, on nth September everyone will play a piece of any song infront of him. He wants to know our standards.

 

Her Diary, 14 August 2024

Aloha diary,

   The girls and me are going out today. I haven't had a chance to have free time with them. My hubby Kai is still not coming home. I wish I could just fly to the states to see him. I miss him. I can't wait to get married with him after all our rough student years end. 

   I got a call from Sulli today and she told us that her boyfriend and the rest of his gang is joining us. So basically the high school popular group is hanging out today. It was surely exciting because we're all going to gather and see our faces after years leaving high school. I decided to wear something fancy. Something that would make every guy hit on me.

   Me and my girls went to the club together. The boys were already there. They have grown really fast. I swear, they look macho. For a moment I forgot I have a boyfriend. Most of the guys were boyfriends of my girl friends. So basically everyone is unavailable accept Jin. 

   Jin was standing near the bar counter holding a cocktail. He's always like that. He used to be quite a talker when he was in kindergarten and in elementary school. I've never talked to him when we were in high school. Because I guess I was busy with Kai. Somehow I just wanted to talk to him.

   I came near him. I greeted him and he smiled as a reply. I swear on my life that he has no girlfriend at the moment. He is just Jin. Typical Jin, who freaks out when there's a girl. He becomes shy and so quiet. I didn't say much to him because I was then dragged away by Seolhyun to the dance floor.

 

His diary, 14 August 2024

Hello diary, my old buddies arranged a reunion?

   Can I say it is a reunion? Anyways, yea i guess it is.. We'll meet up Sulli and her gang. Well, I should go since we are friends. And some of them like Krystal, Mingyu and some others I've knows since kindergarten. So i decided to go.

   All of them have partners. I just went to have fun. Its kinda funny to recall the old days where my group and Sulli's group were the hipster famous gang in school. Anyhow, we were kids back then. Childish.

   Me and the boys arrived earlier than the girls.I could tell how much glam they'd be putting on. Kai couldn't join. Because he was studying in the states. I'm not a party boy, so I found my favorite spot in the club, near the bar. I ordered a cocktail. I don't have much in mind today. I plan to practice a song on my piano I already chose a piece to play, its tilted awake. 

   While i was thinking about the notes, Krystal approached me. She looked pretty as always. Guess she felt lonely Kai wasn't here. "Hey." I smiled when she greeted me. I didn't say much. Obviously, cause i don't know what to talk about with her. Thank god Sulli saved me, by pulling Krystal away. 

 

My diary, 26 September 2024

Dear diary, I was humming the song i would play throughout the day. 

   Chanyeol even noticed me humming. "Sounds beautiful." He told me. So I told him, that I play the piano. He was so good at listening. How could he be so good at just sitting there listening to my long long long story? Even dad can't handle my stories sometimes. Cause I talk so much. Oops.

   But I'm so glad I finally have someone to talk in the cafe. Well my seniors in the cafe who works with me they sorta don't care.........Well i don't care at least I have Chanyeol. He comes sometimes. I don't know but once a while? I don't know why he now comes often. 

   Oh and diary do you know what's happening ever since I joined the piano lesson and meet Jin? Yes diary the boy who was talking with Sanduel his name is Jin. After that incident we kept bumping into each other in campus. Crazy right? You won't imagine this, the professors planned to form Kyunghee University Charity Association. And so they selected the students. I WAS CHOSEN.

   He was in there too! SO basically we're now in the same group. And I'll be seeing him more often. I don't know why I'm so shy every time he is around. Do i like him? Wait, no right? Oh my god. What is this fate?

   Lets forget about that and focus on tomorrow. Can't wait to perform.

 

His diary, 26 September 2024

Hello diary, what a coincidence.

   I got chosen to be in the university's charity association. She got in too. Weird.

 

Unknown diary, 26 September 2024

It's me,

   I came to see her again. She looked so happy today. And I guessed it was something good. Which it is. She is taking piano lessons. I was surprised to know that she plays the piano. She told me everything about her class. I couldn't even dare to cut her off, her eyes were sparkling. I could tell she was happy.

   It would be nice if i could watch her play the piano. But i shouldn't be greedy. Meeting her is already good enough. Her smile, made my day.

 

His diary, 27 September 2024

Hello diary, today is the day.

   I'm so nervous. I came in early and sat in the auditorium hall. Mr. Yiruma was unexpectedly early too. He was busy checking the piano on stage. As I watched him, I couldn't stop but to feel the pressure and awkwardness. Even though I know him a long time, he still scares me. We both didn't talk to each other. So the hall was filled with silence when then I heard the door open and a girl came in. It was you  .

   When she entered, I automatically looked at her and she was looking at me too. It was a good five second stare and she turned away first. She sat in same row and five seats away from me. I thank her for coming. A minute ago, I thought i'd be the only one coming today. At least its good to know someone's here with me.

   "Seems like the others are running late. We should probably just start," said Mr.Yiruma and called me up. Now i regretted being thankful that she was there. I wish she was gone at that moment. But anyhow, I open the keybed and I couldn't just sit there and do nothing so i started to play.

   I was so glad I didn't made any mistakes. As I walked to sit back, it was her turn. By the time she got on stage I was already in my seat. And then slowly the other students came in. Ken asked me if I had performed. I told him i did. Also I scolded him and Sanduel for coming so late. 

   My eyes were then focused on her. She has already sat down, she didn't play yet. I wonder if she was prepared. I mean, i don't know her skills. And this just made me even more curious about her.

   She started playing.

Everyone was silent the minute she pressed one of the piano keys. She then pauses. Then placed her hands back on the keyboard. Her feet were on the pedals. 

https://youtu.be/BCxI92nO8mM

  It was beautiful.

 

My diary, 27 September 2024

Dear diary, the day has finally come I shall prove that I too can do it.

   I was still outside the auditorium hall. I came early today. Well I've never been late before. Always 5 minutes early. My heart was thumping. I was scared of playing it infront of everyone and also scared of Jin watching me. Okay, I guess I do have slight crush on him. I admit. I took a deep breath and entered the scary room. When I walked to take a seat, I saw Jin. Our eyes met. And of course I was shy so i pulled away quickly. 

   There were two piano's on stage. Mr. Yiruma decided to start early and he called Jin up first. I didn't know what to do at the moment. I was wondering where the others are. I thought he would call me too because there were two pianos. But he just called Jin up. Maybe two pianos were for us to choose which one we like?

   Jin started to play.

https://youtu.be/XShalH-Qz-g

   I knew it was a chance for me to stare at him properly. So i did. He did great. and then it was over. "Are you ready?" Mr. Yiruma called me up and i knew i was doomed. Then i hear people coming in the hall. The others just arrived. Why now? Seriously. I sat down facing the piano. I encouraged myself to not be afraid for 5 seconds. Then I started to press one key. Just to test if this was real. It was so quiet that it felt like i was all alone. I took a deep breath and started playing.

   Everyone clapped after words. I'm just glad my first performance in front of everyone was okay. I wonder what Jin thinks.