II - Haeshin

보이스 2 : Tremor (트레모) -hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"I said, stop there. Don't make me shoot you."

 

I placed my hand inside the inner side of my jacket, to hopefully convince him that I meant it when I said I would shoot him. Well, I did mean it, if I need to, and if I actually have a gun with me. Why didn't I bring my gun? How could I be careless? Why did I thought for a second Sungwun would be safe for me to visit on my day off without bringing my necessity? I had let the lax atmosphere of my work in Seoul to make me stupid, careless. This is not who I was.

 

But the bigger question is, what...is Mo Tae Gu doing here? He's supposed to be dead. Or...did he came back to life? Was it a faked death afterall? Did Team Leader Moo know about this?

 

 

"Woman...you have a gun?! Are you a thug or what?"

 

 

For a second, his question, paired with the shock and fear on his face threw me off. Why was he acting like he didn't know me? Pretending to lose memory? Then I remembered he just admitted to being Mo Tae Gu just now.

 

"I said,...stop. Don't move. Put your hands up."

 

Surprising enough, he followed the order even when I didn't pull out any gun to prove him that I indeed have one. I didn't waste any time to make a phone call to Team Leader Moo, all the while making sure I didn't take my eyes off him for even a second. How dare he taint Appa's resting place. I wanted to punch his face so bad...but something about him looked off. And, more importantly, Mo Tae Gu is dead. Or if he somehow came back to life, surely someone at the police office just now would know and told me.

 

'Damn it, why isn't he answering?'

 

Maybe I should just call Hyunho for any enlightenment on this matter.

 

"Look, I'm not this...Mo Tae Gu, can I put my hands down? I still have work to do, or I won't get paid. You're not going to feed me if I lose my daily wage here, are you?"

 

"Keep it that way!"

 

"Why? What have I done wrong here? I didn't leave my comfy life in Seoul to this...dingy little town to be treated like some hardcore criminal by crazy people I keep meeting. Don't make me report you to the police for harrassment. I told you I'm not Mo Tae Gu!"

 

All of a sudden he was yelling, almost to the point of breaking down. This...doesn't feel like Mo Tae Gu. His voice sounded alike but...I couldn't clarify it. It's times like this I suddenly wished so hard to be given back the gift of my hearing ability that I had unfortunately lost but never felt really desperately wanting it back up until now.

 

"If you're not Mo Tae Gu, then who else could you be? You really think I'm that stupid?"

 

"Yeah, you're stupid! Haven't you ever heard of Haeshin? Haven't you ever read or heard of the gossips about the problematic son who was still very much sought after by girls from all over Seoul heck even Japan and any other place in the world, because he had the looks and the money and status?! Of course, they no longer chase after him after he lost everything."

 

The last part sounded like he was talking to himself even though he was nearly yelling the rest of his speech. But everything he just said confused me even more. Nothing made sense.

 

"Haeshin?"

 

"Oh I forgot...why would I think anyone in this pathetic little secluded dingy town would know Haeshin? Though you really should, if you're going to shoot innocent people randomly just for your own ignorance."

 

I didn't wait for him to continue blabber to call Hyunho.

 

"Oh...Center Leader Kang, just now why didn't you..."

 

"Hyunho, quickly get me information about Haeshin, in Seoul."

 

"Oh...you mean, Haeshin Group? They're mostly known in the field of Arts, it's a family conglomerate run by the Hong family. I can search for more information if you want. Give me a second."

 

"Thanks. Tell me about this...family."

 

I kept my eyes glued to him all the while, he had this disdainful incredulous look all the time but he hadn't put down his hands.

 

"Haeshin Group is primarily Arts based conglomerate. They own Seoul Arts University, and The National Museum and The National Arts Gallery are also run by Haeshin Group with official rights from the government. But they also invest in other fields and projects and even collaborated with a lot of multinational corporations mostly in designing and construction projects. The company is currently run by CEO Hong Tae Ra, aged fourty-three. She has one younger sister, Hong Mo Nae, who works for their gallery but without any specified position."

 

"That's all? No other siblings?"

 

"There was Hong Tae Gyun, eldest son of the Hong family, he died of accident about three years ago."

 

"Alright, got it."

 

How dare he tried to trick me with such weak lie, even quoting a seemingly big corporation. Great, now I need to chase him back into the prison all over again. But...wouldn't they have known if he's free again and faked his death? At the least, Team Leader Moo should know. Why didn't he say anything to me? And pretending to be someone else isn't quite like Mo Tae Gu. That creature is too proud of himself to hide. Well, granted he's not hiding now. He's right in front of me. But his scowling face isn't quite like how Mo Tae Gu would react too, in any circumstances. Mo Tae Gu is proud and calm even when he already lost ability to fight back. He's that oblivious. That unfortunate child. Even now, after he has had his hair outgrown and his style didn't look as perfected as Mo Tae Gu would've had, with dishelved white shirt that's not even tucked in properly, there's still that flash of patheticness and cluelessness on his face.

 

Wait. What was I thinking? Unfortunate? Pathetic? Clueless? I must have gone weird after years of having being out of my Sungwun senses.

 

"Wait! Don't put down the phone first. I just found...President Hong had another son, Hong Tae Sung. But he was removed from the family registration list in the same year as the eldest son's death. And Hong Tae Ra also became CEO that same year."

 

"Oh, thanks. I'll get back to you later."

 

"Anytime, Chief Kang."

 

"Got the answer you're looking for, thug woman?"

 

"What's your name?"

 


"...Tae Sung."

 

For the first time, I noticed his hesitation and how his mouth twitched in strange way before saying out his name. And oddly, for the first time since I met him, his suspicious reaction now, is the one that made me think...maybe, he's telling the truth. Maybe,...he's not Mo Tae Gu after all. But...other than his hair style and his dressing, he's just looked too alike to Mo Tae Gu from his height, his physique, his features. Is it even possible for lookalikes to be this much alike? The sameness is highly disturbing.

 

"You can put down your hands now. And hand out your identification card."

 

I approached him carefully, praying that Appa's spirit would at least keep me safe here, since I really had no weapon should he turn out to be a criminal, whoever he is.

 

After a few seconds of stretching out his hands, he only crossed his arms when I reached in front of him and held out my hand for the document.

 

"What if I say, no?"

 

"Then, I'll have no choice but to drag you to the police station."

 

"What?"

 

I sighed and fetched into the inner compartment of my jacket, relieved that at least

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter