Red

BB hiatus)

A/N: All of this is still in draft, I will edit this fic from scratch once I'm done with all the chapters. So, if you're planning to read this, please bear with the insubstantial level of writing :) Enjoy (:

Red

​​​​​​*screeeeeech*

"What the was that"

"DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE?!"

*baby crying profusely in the background*

Despite the mess, I wasn't bothered one bit, or rather, i had better things to do. Clad in a dark-coloured winter jacket with a white blouse underneath it, a book on my left hand and the occasional page-flip with my right, I was in a world of my own. Nothing could pull me out of the the vast fictional world that I have been entrapped in, inside of this crowded and squeezy bus.

If there is anything left in this dreary world that still intrigues me, that would have to be books, and even then, not just any book would make the cut.

The bus had reached my stop. I steadily made my way out of the bus and walked straight to campus.

"Really. I have to come to school just for an hour's long briefing and the commute time's already way past that. Wow I love my new school already." i lamented whilst walking to school.

I whipped out my phone and checked the time. "8.20 A.M."

"Aaand guess who's 40 minutes early!" I found a single-seater table not too far away from the lecture hall and occupied it. Nobody else was around.

I sighed before removing my jacket and placing it beside my bag, before reaching into my bag to take out my new read, '1Q84 - Murakami'. To be frank, i haven't been into books up until about 2 years ago, when i chanced upon Murakami's 'Kafka on the Shore'. With my head buried in a book, people seldom walk up to me and talk to me. In a way, this rectangular cuboid is my sort of protection to human interaction. Ever since then, i've been picking up on book reading and i'm not going to lie, but my 2 years worth of life reading books and isolating myself from human interaction is already much more interesting than my other 17 years spent being a 'normal' human being, having to interact with others.

It didn't take long for me to drift into the fictional world and lose track of my surroundings. I was alive. I wasn't living inside a 19 year old body anymore. I take on the personality and features of the characters i'm reading in the book, and just lose myself completely into this fictional space. 

1Q84 is a dystopian novel written by a Japanese Writer, Haruki Murakami, which story constantly revolves around two main character, Aomame and Tengo. The chapters goes back and forth between the perspectives of the two main characters, narrating their lives in a fictional world known as 1Q84, which they have accidentally entered. In the first few chapters, the characters' personalities was introduced through various events and also their interactions with other people were described as well. 1Q84 was an extremely long novel which were released in 3 different books, book 1 having 24 chapters, 2 having 24 as well, and 3 having 31. I had managed to get a copy of a 1Q84 that merged the 3 different books, so in total i had 79 chapters worth of read.

Finally snapping back into reality, i whipped out my phone yet again to check the time. "8.45 A.M.".

Seeing that there was still 15 minutes left till the lecture hall is open, I decided to rest a little and buried my head into my arms.


"ASDGHASDGASKGSAL THAT'S SOO STUPID!! Why would someone even go AP on Master Yi in 2017!?"

"yES I KNOW RIGHT! Anyways, that caused me my game. Not to mention that was my last series match and i lost because of such a player."

"Stay in silver, kid."

I heard chattering between two people (they were speaking so loudly it was hard not for me to hear them) from a distance away. I didn't quite understand what they were talking about but i figured they were ranting about a dumb game called 'League of Legends' or something along the lines of that. I know because I've had noisy male classmates in the past who spent their entire lives playing that dumb game and flunked their exams. Just the thought of failing the exams because of a game ridiculed me. The only games I ever play are those that I actually learn something out of, and not stupid action games that takes over a freaking hour to complete a single match.

The voices sounded feminine. 

"Even girls play that stupid game now. Wow, how low has our superior gender fallen," I thought to myself.

A few moments later, the space outside the lecture hall was flooded with noisy and rowdy 19 year olds. A relatively short lady in a black dress, whom I identify as the lecturer for the course briefing, was making a beeline to the lecture hall entrance and making students move out of their way. 

"ALRIGHT ACCOUNTANCY STUDENTS, INTO THE LECTURE HALL YOU GO!" the lecturer exclaimed with her hoarse voice. Despite it being so noisy, it was obvious to me that everyone has clearly heard the lecturer's loud and distinctive voice. For someone with such a small build, she sure has a loud voice. 

The whole lot of students then slowly made their way into the lecture hall, with there not being a single second of silence.

I whipped out my phone again. "9.00 A.M."

I walked into the lecture hall and found a nice isolated seat at the back. I sat down comfortable and took out my laptop. There were slides uploaded on the school page that we had to download and refer to for this briefing.


"Momo let's sit at the back!!", a high-pitched voice screamed/

"EEEHHHHH!?! But i can't see well from the back!" a deeper voice replied.

"pffff... It ain't like you're going to listen to what that pip-squeak's going to say anyways! Let's head to the back and play a match of League!"

The voices came from two young ladies with their hands busy with holding coffee, the higher-pitched voice belonging to a blonde, and the other, a brunette. They didn't look local. 

"Excuse me, is anybody sitting here?", the blonde asked while pointing at the seats beside me. 

"Not really ... but I would appreci-" 

"Sweet! Let's just sit here Momo!"

"-ate it if you guys didn't sit here," i muttered after being cut abrupt. The brunette seemed to have heard me.

"Sana let's sit somewhere else instead, we're going to be a nuisance later on anyways."

"hmm? I don't want to!" the blonde girl pouted. " I like it here. Besides, no one's going to sit here right?" she continued, this time fixating her gaze on me. Her brown eyes were that of an energetic young lady, it was to a certain extent, seductive.

I was entranced. For two full seconds there, I stared right into the blonde's bewitching eyes. "Y-y-yes.. y-you two can sit here if you want" I stuttered, while moving my bag (which was on the seat they were about to take) onto the floor.

The blonde smiled brightly at me with both and her eyes, before snugging into the seat beside me, taking out her laptop almost instantly. The brunette looked at me and smiled awkwardly, mouthing a 'sorry' while doing a sheepish wave and a head bow. She settled beside the blonde moments after and took out her laptop as well.

I rolled my eyes, and then started paying attention to the course briefing.


"Okay hook the ashe and i'll ulti," the brunette commanded.

"Roger that. The jungle's up top so we're safe from ganks. Hook coming up in 3 .. 2.. and 1."

"NICE! Keep the support away from me, we should be good on this fight... aaand DOUBLE KILL!"

"drag drag drag drag drag drag drag" the blonde chanted.

That 4 lines were the two girls for a brief 10 seconds. Now multiply that by 6 and then 60. That's what i had to go through throughout the entire course briefing.

How can they be THAT noisy?! And the greater question there was, why hasn't the lecturer kicked them out of the lecture hall yet? The course briefing was about to end and the duo has yet to even open up their slides. I don't even think they have it downloaded.  Throughout the entire hour, the two were screaming and shouting all sorts of game lingos that I didn't quite understand. 

I was filled with frustration and irritation, like wow, y'all just decide to turn up to this course briefing and ruin my lecture, not cool. I held back on saying anything because I figured that that would be the last I'll ever see of these two. *SPOILER ALERT: I was wrong*


"And that just about sums up your next 3 years with us here, I hope all of you become great accountants in the future! See you all next week same time for your first official lecture." The lecturer concluded her course briefing, and the entirety of the students in the lecture hall started to get rowdy and noisy like they were before they entered the lecture hall. Despite the two madmen on my right, I managed to listen to the course briefing and understood the entire course structure. Looks like my next 3 years here will be pretty easy, i just have to cram a few nights before every finals and I should be able to graduate just fine. 

"Phew, that was a close one."

"Yeah that was close, we only won because the other team messed up the last fight, if not they would've had it in their bag for sure. Good Job Minatozaki Sana!"

"Looks like the course briefing's just about done too. LOL did you listen at all?"

"Yeah a little, something about taxing here something about accounting there, what about you?"

"Absolutely nothing!" The blonde girl confidently replied with a dumb smile on her face.

I rolled my eyes once more and packed my laptop into my bag. Just as I was about to stand up and leave, the blonde girl reached for drink and accidentally spilt it onto my blouse.

*splat*

"FU-" I bit my tongue to stop myself from cursing out loud. 

"Oh my god I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN IT!" the blonde girl flustered and panicked, taking a step back . The brunette gasped and stood there stunned for a few seconds before finally comprehending the situation. Her hands rushed towards the side pocket of her bag and took out a packet of tissues. From there, she hasitly pulled out snots of tissues and rushed to help me soak up the coffee on my blouse. 

Before she could reach my blouse, I slapped her hand away and picked up my bag.

"You know what? You guys are a bunch of jerks for making a huge racket during the course briefing. Why did you two even come here in the first place if you're just going to turn up to the lecture hall, not listen, and distract the others with your STUPID and IDIOTIC games," I exclaimed. Pointing at a sign that read 'No Food and Beverages in the Lecture Hall' at the front of the lecture hall, I continued.  "Listen, I was going to just peacefully leave the lecture hall after the heck of an hour that you've excruciated my ears with your dumb lingos, but NO, you had to just spill your coffee all over me."

"Thanks ALOT!" I concluded, stomping my way out of the lecture hall. Their eyes followed me, but their bodies were stuck where they were. They couldn't move. I did not turn back at all.

The whole time i was giving the two a piece of my mind, they kept silent with their faces meekily held down. I knew i had them cowering in fear. I felt triumphant, and found my actions justifiable. Ain't thar right? They piss me off and then I scold the heck out of them. That was the right thing to do, right?

I made my way out of the lecture hall, brushing past a few other students, who had their eyes on me. I caused a commotion. Everyone in the lecture hall was staring at that scene. To make things worse, we were isolated from the rest. We were situated comfortably at the back of the lecture hall, where everyone could see and witness the atrocity that just happened. We were characters in a play, and the rest of the students were our audience.

I cleaned up the mess that was on my blouse at a toilet in the campus. I made sure to move a distance away from the lecture hall so that I wouldn't come into contact with any of the students from that lecture. For the most part, I wasn't scalded or anything because the lecture hall was air-conditioned and the coffee had mostly cooled down. I had managed to wipe and dry off most of the coffee that was on me, but a coffee stain was left on my blouse. 

What a bummer. I thought to myself. It was only the first day in my new school and I've already gotten myself into a mess.


I got on the bus home and settled down at a window seat near the back. Tsk, this bus isn't air conditioned, that . I then instinctively took out my trusty read, '1Q84' from my bag and started flipping to where I had left off. I wasn't going to just spend my precious 1 hour worth of commute time sleeping away. Contrary to many, i actually like commuting. Just being able to sit by the window seat, watching the bus move along the city through the sides of my eyes while I read my book, made me happy. 

Commute time was that of the only time where I could immerse myself into the fictional world, knowing that there wouldn't be any one who would be able to pull me out of it. The only thing i dislike from taking a public bus to and fro school is the fact that the seats are so god damn stiff and it makes my backside hurt. 

Chapter 3 - the female lead, Aomame descends down a stairyway after getting off her taxi in a traffic jam, reminicising her past as she does. She then changes into a business suit in the bathroom of a subway and headed to a hotel for work. No she wasn't an employee of the hotel. She heads into a room where she meets an apathetic businessman, distracting him with measly conversations, and ending their interaction with a stab in his neck with a thin needle, killing him instantly. She covers all traces of her murder, leaving only the police to think that the businessman had died from a natural heart attack.

You would think someone who likes reading would be able to go through books much quicker than others. Wrong. To increase my comprehension and also to better understand the essences of each and every character in a story, I hold back on skimming through books but instead, taking my time to really read each and every word in each chapter, to be able to put myself in the author's shoes, to fully comprehend whatever message the author meant to convey. 

I stopped reading for a bit and took out my phone to check the time, "10.55 A.M.". The bus came to a stop at a red light. I rested my book on my thighs and gazed out of the window to check where I was. There was still 30 minutes more to go before i had reached my stop.

That's beautiful. A family of three were holding hands and crossing the streets together. The father and mother held hands with their kid daughter that was in the middle. The daughter was in a warm and what seems to be a comfortable red jacket, smiled widely. Her smile alone was bright enough to light up the entire world. Her father and mother smiled just as brightly, like nothing could ever faze them. Beautiful indeed.

I was envious, but not much. I had left home 3 years ago and came to Korea alone to study. It wasn't anything like a quarrel with my family or anything, it was just that I had wanted to experience living elsewhere alone. I spoke with my parents about the idea of me going overseas to study. They were reluctant initially, but ended up giving in, considering that had been my one and only request to them ever since I was a child. I still keep in touch with my family from now and then, giving them a call every once in a while. I was all alone, but i wasn't lonely.

Minatozaki Sana eh.. that's a beautiful name. 

I checked my phone once more and scanned my surroundings again. I still had 20 minutes more to go on this ride. I rested my eyes, and plucked in my earpieces for the rest of the journey.