Chapter 5

Magical lives are made of this.

Is there a guide on how to react when your boyfriend with whom you have been in no speaking terms for the last two days has been elected as the representative of your school in one of the most deadly dangerous championships in the wizarding world?! Because really, Yu could actually use a little bit of advice right now.

She was obviously surprised. Not that she doesn’t think that Yixing is the best potioneer at Hogwarts, mind you. But it was unexpected nonetheless because this tournament was supposed to be far away and since Yixing wasn’t really keen on traveling to Mahoutokoro’s school, his family was against it too for some reason, he just dismissed the fact of participating. However, it being held at Hogwarts changed everything. At least between them. She couldn’t keep on being mad at him, could she? He could die at any given moment during the tournament and then what? She wouldn’t be able to see him again. Ever again. Not even to nag and bother her about her lies to her parents. No funny puns. No silent and comfortable silences shared while doing homework. No walks hand in hand at Hogsmade, running away from the stupidness of their friends and being close to each other just to keep the warm. No soothing smiles from one part of the corridor to the other. No cheering buddy. No one to listen to her rambling and rants about how much she hates some aspects of the world and life. No hello or goodbye kisses. No hugs. No.Yixing. At. All.

She began pacing more intently outside of the Headmistress office. They had taken him there to talk (probably to inform him about everything) just after the feast was done and she hadn’t had the chance to speak to him again. She was a mess. Roro and even Mina (who was still crossed with her about her attitude but understood the importance of having your best friends with you when your boyfriend signed up for a most certain death) had been comforting her. As well as Suho and Xiumin. Telling her how great and brave Yixing was. That it was a supervised tournament. That nobody had died since 1678. Yeah, what a relief.

The Magic Trio (Yeol, Dae & Baek) had been there too, showing her small and encouraging smiles. Even Jongin, the kid from Hufflepuff showed her support. He was always a nice kid. And she was grateful, oh yes… she was. However, she felt suffocated too. As if they were already there to mourn Yixing when the tournament hadn’t even begun so, she asked them all to leave. She hugged her best friends tightly, showed them a weary smile and stood by the staircase.

It had been at least 30 minutes since everyone left when the stairs began to move again. Yu held her breath and awaited there.

"All students must be in bed at this time." A smooth and teasing voice startled her.

"Well, yeah. This is kind of an out of the ordinary occasion Mr. Prefect." She answered crossing her arms in front of her body and raising an eyebrow. "You see, my boyfriend has decided to give up his life for the sake of other entertainment… " She finished with a sad face.

"Eternal Glory and the Title of the Best Potioneer at such a young age sounds worth a life." Yixing retorted standing in front of her. Yu’s expression darkened.

"I’m not joking Zhang Yixing!" She looked at him with a stern look.

"Neither am I." He shrugged. "t’s a great opportunity and I’m not going to back down from it."

"Why?! You don’t even want to be a Potioneer in the future!" She asked exasperated. Yixing smiled and began walking back to the Ravenclaw tower. Yu was fast to get next to him, still boring holes in his skull. He looked at her sideways and smirked.

"You don’t want to be anything related to the Laws or Office work and yet you make your parents believe it." He said in a too neutral tone to be casual.

"This again? Really?"

"What? It isn’t as if we had talked about it or got to a solution!" He turned to look at her with hurt in his eyes. "You are just talking to me because you are afraid I might die in the tournament!" He spat dryly.

Yixing took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He needed to calm down. He was obviously still upset about their argument but he was also nervous and a little bit scared, to be honest. McGonagall and Professor Narcius had took him to the office after the feast to tell him about the tournament. In addition to his normal courses he had to take special lessons with Narcius to improve his skills. It was just four sessions before Christmas since the Tournament began after the Holidays but even though, it meant he would have to sacrifice not just his free time but also one of his Herbology lessons. He was tired and just wanted to sleep and look at it in the morning with a new light. But they had to talk and resolve this petty argument. If anyone knew about feeling like a disappointment to their parents, that was Yixing. And he may find Yu’s worry about him adorable and a bit flattery too.

She was looking at him with such a despaired expression but couldn’t help it. He said it so nonchalantly, about him dying. Yu didn’t want to deal with how many feelings that stirred inside her. It was too much and right now that argument felt like a silly excuse to be mad at someone just because. She took another deep breath and looked at her feet before gaining the courage to look at him in the eyes again.

"I’m sorry." She apologized with a small voice and teary eyes. "I know I was venting on you because I didn’t want to hear what you were saying… It was wrong and I’m so, so, sorry..." She let a sob escape and Yixing will was torned apart, he hugged her tightly. "I just wanted you to be there and not judge me, I’m sorry…"

"Shhhh… It’s okay babe. " He kissed the top of her head. "I’m sorry too. I am always by your side but I don’t want you to pretend being something you are not just to please others, even if those others are your parents." He sighed. "I know it wasn’t the best way to show it and I’m sorry for making you cry, again." He smiled sadly. Yu snuggled in his chest.

"I am worried about you dying, I just don’t want you to disappear… I really am scared about that, didn’t know how much until I stopped to think about it."

"I know." Yixing caressed her back smoothly. "I am scared too but as I said it’s a great opportunity and many people put their hopes in me, I want to try it." He shrugged putting some distance between them and smiling teasingly at her. "Hey! You may end dating the Best Potioneer of the next 7 years." He wiggled his eyebrows while Yu punched his chest but smiling nonetheless.

"I don’t care about titles, you know that." She sighed again. "But you are right, if you want to try I want to be beside you helping and you are going to rock that tournament!" She grinned at him. "And I’m going to speak with my parents on the Holidays, ok?" Yixing nodded smiling down at her.

If she only knew that the Title itself was important to him she would be confused. He wasn’t usually a fan of attention but this might help show her parents that even if he, or her, wouldn’t end up working at the Ministry, it wasn’t because a lack of ability but because they choose otherwise. It was his On your face to his parents-in-law and that was something he was going to take with him to the grave.

 

 

The next two weeks after the announcement of the Potion’s Championship were as you would expected them to be. Students speculating about where it would be held on the huge lands of the castle, who will win, some curious eyes following the three new students that Hogwarts was housing that year and, all in all, a lot of excitement about the tournament.

It also brought some peace and going back to their routine lifestyle at Hogwarts. Something Roro was glad to have back, because having the Ravenclaw couple talking again was nice and all, but also something she dread the most because it meant having to face homework, study work and a lot of tutoring. All this also meant she spent a huge amount of her time at the kitchens, cooking and baking with Isha while complaining and rambling about "how much I have to do." But not everything was bad. November was three days away which meant the first Quidditch match of the season was coming closer, Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw, and even if Roro was the very worst at playing it, she really enjoyed watching it.

Since the O.W.L.S were that year, Roro had taken seriously her tutoring classes. She decided to schedule both of them after dinner on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. After her conversation with Baekhyun she thought about asking Xiumin for tutoring in Ancient Runes and surprisingly the Ravenclaw boy was really excited about it. He helped her pointing which stuff was important for the exams since he had taken them the previous year, made her study cards and even helped her with her homework. It was really nice hanging up with him, he was polite, funny and had a lot of patience with her when she couldn’t understand something.

"Well, I would say you are really improving." Xiumin said with a satisfied voice and getting a relieved sighed from Roro. "This text has just a few mistakes." He smiled at her.

"It took me more than one hour to get that right and even then it wasn’t perfect." She pouted making the older boy laugh.

Both teenagers were at the library that Tuesday after dinner for Roro’s tutoring. It had been happening for the last two weeks and if things continued like that she was going to pass her O.W.L.S without a doubt.

"Okay, I just finished the corrections." The boy said putting his quill down. "I marked them with special glowering ink so you can see what you wrote before and how it changed." He explained showing her some words changing. Roro looked with a surprised gasp.

"WOW! You really are good at Charms, Xiumin!"

"Hahaha, not so much, I just took a lot after Suho to be honest." He dismissed her with a smile. "Is that all of today?"

"Oh, yes!" She looked out of the window where it was already dark. Both of them began to gather their things and walked out of the big, brown doors of the library. "I’ve been holding you hostage in here enough." she joked making both of them laugh.

"Don’t worry, you are not a bad kidnapper." The boy winked at her making the girl blush a little bit and look away.

"Pfftt.."

Xiumin showed a small smile and was about to tease the red-haired girl again when a deep voice interrupted them.

"Hello people!" The grinning face of Chanyeol greeted them while he was walking in their direction. Xiumin began smiling to greet the Gryffindor giant until he saw the smile in Roro’s face and how her cheeks turned a little bit more red, then his smile fell. Of course.

"Hey Chanyeol!" Roro greeted him enthusiastically with a big, sweet smile.

"What are you doing at this hour here?" Xiumin prayed he didn’t sound as stern and cold as he initially felt but judging by Chanyeol’s surprised expression and Roro’s confused face he didn’t succeed at that. "I mean, it’s late and you usually hang around your common room, don’t you?" He offered a small smile.

"Yeah." He answered standing next to them. "But I just finished my Apparition lessons now and was on my way back to the rooms." He explained still looking at him with a confused face.

"Oh!" Roro interrupted their staring contest. "I didn’t know you were taking Apparition lessons…"

"Don’t they usually teach you that at home? Like your parents or something?" Xiumin wondered out loud. Neither Roro or him missed how Chanyeol’s faced changed from confused to hurt and then upset, with furrowed eyebrows and thigh thin lips.

"Well, obviously not mine." He spat in a cold voice. Both boys staring at each other again and making Roro feel the tension in the ambience rise at a high pace.

"Well, since you are here" The girl brought the attention to her again in an effort to break that tense silence. "we can go to the dorms together, that way Xiumin you don’t have to get out of your way to accompany me." She smiled at Chanyeol making the boy’s face relax a bit.

"It’s not a problem at all!" Xiumin answered her quickly. "It will be my pleasure!" Chanyeol said at the same time.

Both boys looked at each other again, this time with something Roro couldn’t decide what it was in the air, and she shrugged smiling at both of them.

"Well, it would be easier and it’s late enough as it is." She smiled at Xiumin. "Thank you for your help!"

"Not at all." He smiled back at her. "You are a really good and easy student." He winked at her.

"Anyway, should we be going?" Chanyeol interrupted them again coughing.

"Sure!" Roro turned around again. "Bye Xiumin!"

"Bye bye Ro!" He smiled and then looked at Chanyeol with a stern face. "You better hurry up, Park."

"Don’t worry, Kim." He turned around and took Roro’s arm before getting on walking. The girl frowned thinking that was a weird exchange of words and making sure to remember to ask her brother if the boys had some sort of problem.

Xiumin watched them leave with a sour smile but with a clear determination in his eyes.

You better hurry up, Park. Because I won’t back down from what I like.

Don’t worry Kim, I won’t let you take her away.

 

 

Is walking with your crush who you are trying to not see as your crush anymore but has decided to get close to you at this right instant supposed to be this weird? Roro guessed it was indeed.

After the awkward encounter with Xiumin out of the library, Chanyeol had let go of her arm and they were walking on the hallways with a silent pressure between them that she hadn’t felt since the beginning of their friendship that year. Not that she wasn’t glad to see him when he encountered them before. Actually, she was really relieved. She wasn’t stupid and Xiumin was being really nice with her, maybe it was just her being a little bit narcissist, but it felt a little bit awkward for her taste before and she felt much better walking with Chanyeol. Oh the irony! Since when have you felt more comfortable with your not-crush than with a friend? Well, it seems since now.

They were about to get in the Gryffindor Tower when Chanyeol stopped and sighed making Roro turn around and look at him with a silent "What’s up?"

"You get in now, I think I’m going to walk around the Quad for a bit…" He smiled waiting for her entrance into the Common Room.

"Are you sure? It’s almost 9 p.m…"

"It’s okay, I still have 30 minutes." He kept that small smile so not him. Roro bit her bottom lip looking at him with doubt. "I’m going to be okay, Roro, trust me!" He smiled a little bit more.

"Do…Do you  mind if I tag along?" She dared to ask feeling her face burn and regretting it immediately. "I mean, it’s okay if you don’t, like yeah, you want to be alone, right? yeah, right! sorry, have a good night!"

"It would be nice if you want to come too." He broke her ramble with a smirk and the girl shut up instantly, smiling at him later.

"Okay…"

They began to undo the path they had walked before until they got to the Quad. They had been walking in silence again and once they were outside the chilly air cut through Roro’s nose. After 10 minutes walking with no destination whatsoever, Chanyeol decided to sit on the small staircase in the left part of the Quad and Roro followed his lead. Both of them were looking at the sky, so full of stars and so calm.

"I’m sorry." Chanyeol said with a small voice making Roro turned her head right to look at him with a confused expression.

"Why should you be apologizing?" She sounded more confused than before. Had something happened? Chanyeol looked at her with funny eyes and a sad smile.

"I’m sorry for being such a grump after what Kim said…"

"Oh… Well, I don’t know why you reacted that way but I’m quite sure you had your reasons." She smiled at him. "He wasn’t being nice to you either."

"Yeah… It’s just I’m the only one of my friends taking Apparition lessons and I…" He stopped talking taking a deep breath.

"Hey Yeol, it’s okay, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want." She touched his arm trying to comfort him. The boy smiled teasingly at her.

"Yeol?" He raised an eyebrow. Roro blushed deeply taking her hand back.

"I’m sorry! It’s just I heard Dae call you that so much, I’m sorry…"

"Hahahaha hey! it’s okay, I don’t mind, it sounds nice." He hit her forehead with his finger making her jump. "And it’s just that I wished I had someone to teach me at home too over summer, you know?" He sighed.

Thinking about it, Roro had never heard Jongdae talk about Chanyeol’s parents. She knew he lived with his sister in London, but that was all.

"Uhm…"

"It’s fine Roro." He laughed a bit at her lack of words. "My parents died 6 years ago…" Roro put her hand back at his arm and squeezed it trying to comfort the boy who was now looking at the sky. "My sister and her husband are nice, mind you, really nice but they both work and I just, I don’t want to be a bother for Yoora, so I prefer to learn it here, I spend most of my year here anyway, right?" He asked with a bitter smile.

"Yeah… I’m sure your sister will teach you if ask anyway." Roro tried to help smiling at him. "That’s what siblings are for, apart from teasing and embarrassing you of course." She joked.

"Hahaha of course." He offered her a bigger smile. "Anyway, that’s why Kim’s comment got me upset…" He shrugged. "It’s petty but -"

"It’s not petty!" Roro interrupted him. "I get it and you had every right to get upset. Xiumin probably doesn’t know it and he wouldn’t know how his words would affect you but even though he should have been more careful about that kind of comments." She defended Chanyeol’s point of view.

"Okay, okay… it’s not petty." Chanyeol laughed. "Anyway… is Kim a good tutor?" He asked looking at her sideways.

"Really good! I’m improving a lot so I have to be thankful."

"Oh… so he is better than me as a tutor?" Chanyeol pouted making the girl’s heart speed up and she pushed him in a jokingly way.

"You are still my favorite tutor Mr. Park." She joked poking his stomach with her finger.

"That’s better" He grinned. "I’ll make you the best mazoologist out there!"

"Not sure my Dad is going to be fine with that." she laughed making Chanyeol laugh with her.

"Well, I’m sure he will be honored to kind of pass on the job, right?"

"Yeah… probably, even if he is an archaeologist for the Ministry." She whispered in a small voice. Chanyeol looked at her with troubled eyes.

"Everything alright? Not really enthusiastic about working for the Ministry?" He joked but stopped smiling the moment he saw Roro’s teary eyes. "Hey…" He got close to the girl, side hugging her. "It’s fine Roro, it was a joke…"

"Yeah, yeah I know, I’m sorry." The girl smiled cleaning her eyes from the unshed tears. "It’s just… Can you keep a secret?" She asked him seriously.

"I’m Gryffindor’s best Keeper for a reason." He winked making the girl laugh at his dorkiness.

"I actually want to open a Restaurant/Bakery after school…" She confessed with a small voice. "Using magic to make special dishes and recipes you know…"

"I think it’s a great, great idea!" The boy smiled at her putting some distance between them now that she was feeling better. "I’m sure your Restaurant/Bakery is going to be super famous and I’ll be your client number one, of course."

"Hahaha I’ll have to give you discounts as payment for my tutoring." She joked.

"Don’t say it twice or I would take you up on that offer!"

After a bit more of star gazing and small talk both teens decided it was time to get going to the dorms. It was five minutes to nine and didn’t want to get in trouble when Flinch began his nocturnal rounds of the school. They got inside the common room after saying the password to the Fat Lady and Jongdae was there with another boy and two girls, the ones Mina saw at the Hogwart’s Express compartment two months ago, Seulgi and Irene.  

"Hey! Look who decided to come back" He joked when he saw them getting in. "Where were you Giant?!"

"I runned into her near the library and went for a walk." Chanyeol explained standing next were his friends were. Roro was midway to the girl’s dormitory staircase debating between leaving quickly or just saying good night to everyone.

"Oh… Did you have a walk together?" The smallest girl, Seulgi, asked them. Jongdae looked at them with a smug smile.

"Hmm yeah, we had to talk for tomorrow’s tutoring lesson." Chanyeol said quickly while Roro furrowed her eyebrows. What?

"Oh… I didn’t know you gave tutoring lessons Chan." The girl continued smiling flirtatiously. "Maybe you could help me too!"

"Eh…"

"It’s going to be tough" Jongdae pitched in. "since he is teaching Roro CMC and you aren’t taking that class anymore." He explained to the girl with a lot of charm and turned around to wink at her sister. Roro giggled and decided she should better be on her way to bed.

"I should go to sleep now..." She said with a small voice. "Good night!"

"Good night Baby Sis! Sweet dreams." Her brother smiled at her charmingly.

"See you tomorrow Yeol." She added with a sweet smile notting how the previous girl crossed her arms with an upset expression. However, that stopped being important the moment Chanyeol answered her with the biggest grin ever and a sweet voice.

"Goodnight Miss. Chef!" He winked at her taking a seat next to her brother and Roro left quickly before anyone noticed her burning tomato face.

She heard her brother questioning Chanyeol and the boy answering something like Secrets but she couldn’t hear anything else because she was stepping inside her room just seconds later. She closed the door and looked at the ceiling feeling like a stupid teenage girl. Well, you know the feeling.

"What’s wrong with you?" Linda asked looking up from her book and at her. "You look high…"

"Yeah… I think I am." She whispered before getting to her bed and plopping on it like dead body. "So much for getting over it..." She hushed herself before closing her eyes again, trying and failing miserably to get the smile out of her face.

 

 

Mina was on her way to give back to Baekhyun his Potion Making book she had borrowed the day before for her paper on Amortentia when she heard a well-known and frightening voice coming from the stairs.

"I’m telling you Peng! We need to act soon, the other are getting anxious!" Leveratag’s voice sounded cold and almost angry.

"I know Kun! But we need to get close to the boy first… How are we going to do that?"

"Well I was thinking…" And the rest of the sentence she was unable to hear it since both students had arrived at the end of the stairs.

 

What the hell? Peng? Kun? What on Earth? Why is always me who ends up listening to this things? Mina sighed continuing her way and trying not to think about what she just heard. Although it was quite difficult, her dad was a detective and Curios, was one way of summing up Mina. She wanted to be a journalist! A writer! Of course mysteries appealed to her…

Just try not to get killed in between your investigation.

Easier said than done.

 

"Mina, what are you doing standing here?" Baekhyun’s voice brought her back from her thoughts.

"Eh? Oh!" She showed him the book. "Thank you, it was very useful. She smiled. The boy took the book and looked at her with a funny smile.

"Didn’t know you knew your way around the boy’s dormitories…" He making her blush. "Or is it just my room you know where it is?"

"I… I… Suho told me!"

"Suho?" He asked confused. "And how does Suho…"

"Xiumin told him and he got told by Kyungsoo, I mean, he is your roommate right?" Mina explained fast and with a blushing face.

"Yeah… He is." He nodded. "That little sneaky owl…"

"Anyway, that was it, thank you and bye!" She turned around quickly to leave but Baek’s hand holding her by the arm stopped her. The boy looked concerned and Mina was confused.

"Are you sure that was all? Are you… okay?" He asked looking at her with meaningful eyes.

"Yes, I’m sure… I’m fine Baekhyun, everything’s fine." She assured the boy smiling.

"Baek."

"What?" Mina asked confused.

"You can call me Baek, my friends do, just my family or acquaintances call me by my full name." He explained with a sweet smile.

"Oh… okay." She blushed a little bit more.

"Well then, if that was all..."

"Actually!" She interrupted him making the boy look at her curiously. "How well do you know Leveratag and Purtrefs?" She asked with a hushed voice.

Baekhyun looked at her intently for a couple of seconds then he closed the door to the room behind him and without letting her arm go, he began walking to the common room.

"Let’s have a walk around."

 

 

 

Aaaaaand a small cliffhanger there ( ^-^')

I wasn't going to upload this week tbh. I've had some bad news and I've been trying to avoid any kind of social interaction (yes, I do consdier this social interaction lol) 

However, I reached 10 subscriber yesterday and that is so much more than I thought I would achieve that I had to do upload it :) So, to those 10 subscribers I LOVE YOU! YOU ARE THE BEST! 

For all the other readers who spent their time here, THANK YOU TOO! :)

Anyway, a bit of character development here and a clear view of pairings! As I said many times before, the plot comes in slowly but it will be there, I swear! 

If there is anything you want to know (depending on how spoilerish it is) I'll be happy to answer! Also, leave me a comment to know what you think of the story so far \(^ - ^)/

You can also finde me here ask & Twitter!!

Bye! (/ - \)♥