Chapter 27

The Unlikely Match

Free

His eyelids fluttered while trying to fight against the drowsiness, he wouldn’t fall into another deep state of unconsciousness. And so, for the third time in his life, Yixing woke up in an unknown place. His gaze jumped from one spot to another. The ceiling, the long curtains, the television hanging on the wall, the lamp, the bed, everything was unfamiliar to him. An eerie feeling was pooling within him. Yixing hurried to grasp memories from the previous day. The last thing he knew, he had been anxiously waiting for the night to come. He stared at his hands, there wasn’t an Emotion Watch attached to his wrist, then he freed his legs from the covers and saw his ankles, no bracelet was surrounding them either. He smiled, a broad smile that made him erupt in laughter while he looked around the, now he realized, hotel room.

The plan had worked; he was free. But how? Yixing didn’t remember it, he didn’t recall putting on the clothes he was wearing now or how he got the gauze on his hand neither why it hurt underneath. Someone must have shot him a dart injection again, and it sure felt like that due to the stinging sensation on his shoulder.

But rather than dwelling on more questions, Yixing stood up and hurried to open the curtains. He couldn’t help smiling, a feeling of relief and joy now replacing everything else. This view wasn’t like the one back at his old home, at some mansion or a rehabilitation facility. Although snow covered the ground too, there was coastline, a clouded sky that blended with the ocean on the horizon. Gathered near the water underneath him was a flock of swans. Yixing opened the windows, and a cold breeze greeted his face. Shutting his eyes closed, he inhaled the fresh morning air and took in the sound of the water waves and the swans squawking.

Freedom. This was his freedom.

Three knocks on the door took Yixing back from his trance, making his heart jump. Even though his mind reasoned it had to be Jongin, Yixing searched after something he could use as a weapon in the room. All he could find was the lamp on the nightstand, and he grabbed it before approaching the door.

“Who is it?” he asked.

“It’s Jongin.”

And Yixing let out a sigh of relief because he had recognized that voice. He opened the door and stepped aside to let Jongin in. Jongin walked in holding a folder. Yixing put the lamp back on its place so he could envelop his friend in a hug.

“Thank you. Thank you so much, Jongin,” he said.

Jongin lightly gave him a pat on the back. “It’s thanks to everyone.”

Right. Tao, Yifan and some mysterious person had also contributed to him being free from that place. He owed them this new chance. “Then, please extend my gratitude to everyone else.”

“Of course.”

After letting go of each other, Yixing went to sit on the bed while Jongin moved one of the armchairs near the coffee table to sit in front of him.

“I got shot again, didn’t I?” he asked, “That’s why I can’t remember last night.”

“Yes, you did. But we managed to save you anyway.”

Jongin began explaining the whole operation from the moment Yixing had ended in the hospital wing until Jongin had flown them over here. Except for Yixing being knocked down by some unexpected crime prevention enforcer, everything had gone accordingly to the plan. For a moment Yixing had felt guilty for doubting them because the team had indeed done their research and succeeded. Otherwise, he would have rotted in that rehabilitation facility until the end of his days. Perhaps entering Junmyeon’s world had turned into a bed of nails, but at least he got to meet some kindhearted people too, yes, including the ones like Tao. The lies and deceit still hurt, but perhaps Tao had tried to make it up to him. He couldn’t ask if Tao thought he hoped to be forgiven but based on their last conversation before Yixing had been kidnapped, maybe Tao hadn’t hoped for anything in return. Either way, at least Tao had cared unlike… Certain people.

“Thank you. I won’t ever forget how much you all risked to help me.”

Jongin gave him a comforting smile. “We only did the right thing, Yixing. But I’m afraid not everyone sees it that way. And you’ll have to make some adjustments from now on.”

Being a fugitive of the law, Yixing had expected significant changes in his life. Apparently, back at their crazy country, the investigation of his escape was in full swing. Places were thoroughly searched after evidence, main suspects were called, theories were made, in the hours that had passed everything had been done without any luck. Jongin didn’t know how the whole case would end, but due to the destruction of the ambulance and that nothing was left recognizable, they hoped Yixing would be declared ‘dead.’ That was the safest option because the Security Department won’t issue a warning to neighboring countries. Nobody would be after Yixing, and he could settle somewhere without hiding. However, if the Security Department did start an international search, Yixing was currently in China, the land of his ancestors and where his parents had run off to. The country had a population of over one billion inhabitants. It would take them ages to find him, especially if Yixing managed to hide in the most remote areas. On the other hand, that would mean Yixing would be wanted by the police, because yes, those types of law enforcers still existed here. Jongin and the others promised to relocate Yixing and his family somewhere else if he ended on a wanted list.

Jongin handed Yixing the folder he had been holding. It contained some documents that said Yixing was born here, where he went to school and whatnot that could serve to provide his backstory. There was also a passport, an ID, and a debit card. Yixing looked at the passport and the ID that said he was a citizen of China, his new name being Zhang Jiashuai with the same date of birth. Although Yixing had always liked his own name, he could live with the new one, maybe after a couple of years, he could change it back. He also thanked his mother for encouraging him and Qian to learn the language while growing up. Back then he had thought of it as unnecessary and tedious, but now it would practically help him blend in easily.

“But are you sure it’s safe to keep my real surname and age?”

 “You’re not the only Zhang living here,” Jongin said, “We think that gives you an advantage. They would never suspect you would keep your real surname or age.”

Hopefully, that was true. “So, what happens now?”

Under the pretext that Jongin would go on ‘vacation’ after having worked nonstop since his mother had recovered last year, it hadn’t been strange or suspicious that Jongin had flown over here last night. That was his alibi. Supposedly, Jongin would be staying here for two weeks. But this morning his superior had called to interrupt his ‘vacation’ because they needed him back at the Security Department. The helicopter couldn’t fly the distance back to the city, it was quicker to jump in the next flight home, one that would part in around two hours. Everything was going just as Jongin had expected.

Yixing, on the other hand, would have to stay here until the investigation closed. He would pretend to be another guest at the hotel, enjoying a winter holiday. Contacting someone back at home was forbidden, even talking to his family here. The Security Department would be monitoring the communication of everyone that once knew Yixing, in hope to get some clues of where he was. Yixing’s parents had been exiled because they didn’t follow the standard protocol of moving abroad, but since that wasn’t qualified as a crime and neither of their Emotion Watches had turned orange, they could establish a regular life here. That also meant the Security Department could request the authorities here to look up Yixing’s parents and ask questions. Therefore, for his own safety, Yixing shouldn’t contact anyone until the investigation ended. His earlier disappearance and now authorities questioning his friends and family would only worry them furthermore. But he wouldn’t throw away everything Jongin and the others had risked to take him out, reluctantly he would have to agree.

“We will use this to keep in touch,” Jongin said and handed him a card with a cell phone number. “It’s a special line that can’t be traced by the Security Department. It’s ‘hidden.’ If anything happens, call me immediately.”

Yixing nodded.

“This room is booked for one month. We think that’s how long the investigation will take, it’s the maximum standard time when there are almost no leads. But if it takes any longer, just use the debit card, the code is somewhere in the folder. Buy everything you need, there’s enough money.”

“Yes. I will pay you guys back as soon as I’m back on my feet, I promise.”

“No,” Jongin said, “It’s your share of selling the flower shop.”

That was strange. Yixing frowned. “But Sooyoung said she was going to pay me in partial payments.”

“Well, someone else stepped in.”

“Who? Should I be worried?”

Jongin looked away momentarily, “Just someone. And no, it’s going to be fine.” Clearly, Jongin was evading answering more questions, either because he didn’t want to tell him who it really was or because it had been him. Yixing didn’t have much time to ask either because Jongin suddenly stood up and said he had to go. Yixing also rose to his feet and went to give his friend a goodbye hug.

“Yixing, take care. And remember to call me if anything happens.”

“Yes,” Yixing nodded on Jongin’s shoulder. “Take care you too.”

 

 

 

 

“Here,” Junmyeon said as he put a tray with a water pitcher and two glasses on top of the coffee table. He took a seat and stared at his companion.

“Thank you,” Baekhyun answered while reaching out for one glass and drinking its content. “So, as you know, they have put an end to the investigation. Zhang Yixing is officially ‘dead.’”

Junmyeon would have never thought he’d be having this conversation with one of his nemesis, although Baekhyun had stayed true to his words, so maybe he wasn’t anything like the rest of the Byun’s. Baekhyun was also the only member of the escape team available to talk. Tao was still working as a fill-in and wasn’t staying in the city, Yifan was too busy working tonight that he couldn’t make it to the meeting. While Junmyeon and Jongin had never been ‘friends,’ let alone the type of acquaintances that frequented each other houses. Junmyeon and ‘Taehyuk,’ on the other hand, had been somewhat friends or at least pretended to be during the campaign. There was nothing out of the ordinary with them seeing each other from time to time. Thanks to that Junmyeon could get updates about Yixing’s situation because talking about it on the phone or through the internet was out of the question. Tonight’s meeting would be brief, though, a conclusion to everything that had happened these past weeks.

With Yixing being declared ‘dead’ then there wasn’t much danger anymore. Hopefully, Junmyeon and the others would no longer deal with being watched at all hours of the day. The detectives in charge of the investigation hadn’t believed that Yixing escaped the facility without help. They believed Junmyeon must have helped him somehow, which was why they had interrogated him for hours. He had been the main suspect of being Yixing’s accomplice. Junmyeon thanked his skills to keep a straight face while lying or that his emotions were no longer all over the place because he had answered every question calmly, even when they had put a lie detector on him and whatnot.

Although he and Yifan had exchanged places, his alibi could still apply. With the scandal of his departure from the electoral race still being a hot topic, Junmyeon disliked drawing attention to him and needed to take a break from all that hassle before starting his new job. The System didn’t allow anyone to be unemployed, and as time had passed in which Junmyeon still hadn’t found a new job on his own, they assigned him one at a smaller and relatively new company. At the start of the escape week, Junmyeon had gone to stay at his family’s winter cottage by himself (that he had actually done before driving to meet with the others). To avoid people following him and trying to disrupt his relaxing time, he hadn’t told anyone of his plans. Noisy people wouldn’t expect him to drive either, so he hadn’t used the private jet-plane to get there. And thanks to Baekhyun’s computer skills, there was footage of Junmyeon ‘leaving’ the family cottage on Saturday night (in reality that had been recorded the day before). Junmyeon and Yifan had also managed to meet secretly on the road to switch cars, so when Junmyeon arrived back at the city, it was the same model and license plate. That was why Junmyeon had been on the road when the detectives at the Security Department had called him. Despite his alibi, Junmyeon was still considered a prime suspect, mainly because nobody could explain how the power outages had happened. Junmyeon, of course, hadn’t done any suspicious online activities or showed any relation to controlling the machines. Again, it was all thanks to Baekhyun, who had done an incredible job to erase all digital traces of his intrusion.

Baekhyun did mention that his father and uncle raised their eyebrows at hearing the story of how Yixing had managed to escape. Their suspicion of Baekhyun being involved had been subtly brought up, but Baekhyun had managed to divert it and convinced them he had nothing to do with it. Those two couldn’t prove Baekhyun’s involvement either. Fortunately, those were the only ones who suspected Baekhyun and ‘Taekhyuk’s’ name hadn’t even crossed the detectives’ mind.

But other people that knew Yixing had been considered suspects like Tao, Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol. But Kyungsoo and Chanyeol also had strong alibis, they had never left their apartment that night, neither was there any link to Yixing’s escape. Meanwhile, the final footage before the lights went off showed Yixing taking Tao’s gun and threatening him with it. Tao was also amnesic, so eventually he was removed from the list. And after switching cars with Junmyeon, Yifan drove towards the rehabilitation facility because he was going to surprise Tao in the morning, that had been his alibi. Due to lack of proof, Yifan was also crossed as Yixing’s accomplice. And so were the rest of the suspects.

Even so, as the weeks went by, everyone was still being monitored, especially Junmyeon, who he knew had someone following him at all times. If he showed anything related to Yixing, everything would be over which was why Junmyeon went on with his life, attended work, met with family and friends, but also acted like a worried ex-lover. Sometimes he had asked Tao over the phone if he knew Yixing had appeared or not, only so the people at the Security Department would hear that he was worried. Junmyeon and Tao never discussed the ongoing investigation during their phone calls, though. And because Tao didn’t visit the city much either, Baekhyun kept him updated on the matter. Jongin met with Baekhyun and told him updates of the investigation, so later Baekhyun could tell Junmyeon.

The latest information was that because there were still no new leads, the detectives decided to drop the case. There was a lack of DNA proof to confirm Yixing’s death, which was to be expected after the way the ambulance had exploded, but Yixing hadn’t been seen anywhere trying to flee the country, and neither had someone suspicious been found. It was a dead end, and to not waste any more resources they closed the case. That explained why a few days earlier, a detective had come to Junmyeon’s new office and told him that the investigation had been a success: Zhang Yixing had been found and put back into a rehabilitation facility because he was in dire need of recovery therapy. The Security Department had no idea Junmyeon was aware of the real case, and of course, they would never admit their flaws or that someone had successfully escaped only to ‘die’ in the end. By telling Junmyeon that lie, they would make sure the shameful truth didn’t go out and possibly spare him the stress that such tragic news would bring. Evidently, some things needed to change and hopefully, one day they would.

“Well, I guess this marks the end of our alliance,” Baekhyun said. “I did my part, I hope you do yours too.”

As much as Junmyeon wanted to see Mr. Byun and his brother defeated, perhaps what Baekhyun had said earlier would also come true. “You promised to do the right thing if you were elected, I hope you still do. But even if you lie, I won’t say a word.”

Baekhyun looked confident when he said, “You’ll see I will. Also, I have one last thing I want to mend.”

“What?”

“I can try to reset your file at the Marriage Bureau. If I rerun the program, I’ll find your real perfect match. What do you say?”

“That’s not necessary. I’m not… Interested in knowing that.” He was happy with the fake results, he didn’t want to change it.

Baekhyun nodded.

Before their meeting came to an end, and Junmyeon knew they would never speak about this topic ever again, he had to ask. “How’s Yixing doing by the way? Has Jongin mentioned anything?”

“He’s doing fine. Restless because of being MIA. But in a few hours, Jongin will fly over there to retake his ‘vacation.’ Jongin said he’ll go bring Yixing’s parents, so Yixing is looking forward to that.”

Junmyeon felt this elation at hearing that Yixing was fine, Yixing would see his parents at last, and he’ll get to live a new happy life. This was all Junmyeon wanted for him.

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Baekhyun said while taking out something from his pocket. “This is for you.” He handed Junmyeon a cell phone.

“Why? I already have one.”

“You know how each call is registered and recorded in case the Security Department were to need it one day? Well, this phone has been reprogrammed by yours truly. I changed it so even if someone calls you, it won’t be registered or recorded on their program. It’s basically a ‘hidden’ line. This was the phone Jongin was using to talk to Yixing.”

“But I still don’t understand why you’re giving it to me.”

“Jongin just said I should give it to you. That’s as much as I know.”

Junmyeon huffed. He got a hunch of why Jongin had done that. Of course, that brat shouldn’t have been trustworthy, Jongin wouldn’t abide by their one condition. And if Jongin were to do what Junmyeon thought… Then it might make Junmyeon rather miserable because it would give him a slight glimmer of hope. Even though he should agree with his common sense that the phone might never ring.

Baekhyun was suddenly on his feet. “I guess I’ll see you around at our next common social event, Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon stood up and stretched his hand to shake it with Baekhyun. “Yes. And thank you for your help, Baekhyun. This wouldn’t have been possible without you. Rest assured your secret is safe with me.”

“Thank you,” Baekhyun said before heading out of the living room.

 

 

 

 

Perhaps it was a bit too much or childish that after waking up, Yixing went straight to his parent’s room to greet them with a big hug and say he loved them. Yixing did it anyway. After having lost his sister and being held captive thinking he’ll never get to see his family ever again, he wanted to make sure to tell his loved ones how much he appreciated them.

His parents probably felt the same way as him. When the police had come searching after them, asking about Yixing, and later telling them he had been found again, the Zhang’s had been in utter desolation after having lost yet another one of their children. Thankfully, Jongin had put an end to their sadness when he showed up at their door, had Yixing translating on the phone (they rarely spoke what once had been their mother tongue, so only bits and piece of the language remained, not the same fluency) and briefly explained everything that had happened. Jongin believed Yixing’s parents were not being watched at all, not all countries were eager to cooperate and receive orders from a state like his that had a System and what they considered strange ways. But just to be on the safer side, Jongin went personally to see Zhangs and took them to Yixing instead. As he had expected, nobody had been following them or impeded their journey.

When the Zhangs and Jongin had arrived at the hotel, Yixing had lost no time with his parents and was almost afraid of letting them out of his sight. Living one month on this place all alone had made Yixing anxious and alert about what would happen. The joy of being free couldn’t overpower the worry of maybe being found again. Whenever he walked on the streets exploring downtown, he feared some strange car would pull over, and mysterious men would come out to put in the car trunk. Yixing hadn’t been calm and ‘enjoyed’ his holiday. At some point, he had called Jongin daily just to know how things were going. Perhaps the paranoia would die out as time passed and he could assimilate that the whole previous experience was over.

With his parents accompanying him now, it was starting to feel more like a vacation because rather than secluding themselves, Jongin said they should continue acting as if they were here on holiday to divert attention from themselves. So, as the two weeks passed, that was what they had done, and Yixing had been in charge of showing them around. But when it was the night, Yixing and his parents shared long talks. Yixing had told them everything about being kidnapped and isolated at a rehabilitation facility, including the real reason for his and Junmyeon’s sudden breakup. He finally got to tell them what he had wanted to say long ago. His parents had cried at hearing what they already knew, Qian no longer lived, but they felt relieved that the faint, faint hope they had had that their assumption was wrong could finally vanish, and they found peace at living without the doubt. That night, Yixing and his parents shared their fondest memories of Qian, and Yixing got to reminiscence things he had long forgotten.

Their ‘holiday’ didn’t last forever, though. Last night, Jongin had accompanied Yixing and his parents back to their home, to make sure they didn’t face any problems on the way back either. Today, Jongin would be returning to his own home.

Yixing and his parents were currently in the kitchen getting breakfast ready when Jongin walked in, greeted them and asked if he could speak to Yixing. His mom gave him a smug smile as he stood up and left the room. One night, she had confided to him that she thought Jongin and Yixing would have been a great couple had they not been living in different parts of the world and had Yixing not fallen for the wrong person. Yixing hadn’t replied anything, for some reason he didn’t like the thought of hearing that.

They grabbed their coats and put on their shoes because Jongin wanted to talk outside. His parents had a porch swing facing the backyard in which they both sat down.

“What’s the matter, Jongin?” he asked. It was the first time he noticed Jongin being this tense and nervous, that was very unlike him.

“Yixing, I’m leaving soon, and we probably won’t see each other ever again.”

Yixing furrowed his eyebrows. This couldn’t sound right. “Ever again? Why are you saying that?” Of course, Yixing couldn’t go to see him, but he had hoped that maybe Jongin could come to visit him instead.

“I think that after what you’re about to hear, you might never want to see me again.”

“There’s nothing you could say that would make me think that.”

“There is,” Jongin said. He stared at Yixing straight in the eye with a serious expression. “To be able to join the team that freed you, I promised something. And maybe a deep dark part of me thought that keeping the promise would be for the best. Because that way I could win your heart… I think suffering unrequited love tends to bring the worse in me, but it’s time for me to let you go. I can’t be this selfish, and I won’t be, even if I have to break that promise and certain people will get mad at me.”

 “What are you talking about, Jongin?”

“Junmyeon was the one who orchestrated the whole escape team. We all contributed with ideas, but it was he who made us come together to save you.”

Yixing’s heart had skipped a beat at hearing that name rolling out of Jongin’s lips. “Junmyeon? The Kim Junmyeon? He was the mysterious helper?”

Jongin shook his head making Yixing more confused than ever.

“No, that was Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun. The name rang a bell on Yixing’s mind. He widened his eyes when he realized where it came from. “Baekhyun, as in Byun Taehyuk’s exiled brother?

“Yes, he was the one who helped us deactivate the cameras and much else.”

“But why? And why did you lie to me and said Junmyeon wasn’t involved?” Yixing couldn’t avoid the harshness in his voice. Uncovering lies would always put him in a bad mood.

Jongin let out a deep sigh. “It’s a long, long story. But it’s the truth I promised myself to tell you before I left.”

From there on, Yixing heard one of the craziest stories he had ever come across but also learned the truth about his kidnappers, Junmyeon’s involvement in the situation with his rivals, but also how Junmyeon had participated in the escape. Apparently, Leader Byun and his brother were power hungry madmen that didn’t mind going at any lengths to achieve their goals, like deceiving the whole country or kidnapping him and using him as bate to blackmail Junmyeon. At least Byun Baekhyun didn’t agree with them and, if Jongin spoke the truth, would try to change the future. Yixing had also learned that Jongin, whom he had thought was his friend this entire time, actually turned out to be a fraud. Jongin had been fooling him from the start too and was the reason the Byun’s knew about him being an unreadable. Yixing’s assumption about these people proved to be right… But maybe it didn’t apply to all of them.

He still couldn’t believe Junmyeon had dropped out of the campaign to save him. Junmyeon, who had once said that becoming the next leader of the nation was one of his dreams, if not the biggest. After all the work Junmyeon and his team had done, after all the things he had been willing to do to achieve that, good and bad, Junmyeon had given up everything just like that. And then, Junmyeon had also risked, literally risked his life during the escape when he had stepped back into the hospital to retrieve him from the crime prevention enforcer. Why? Why had Junmyeon done so much for him? Was he expecting clemency in return? In that case, why tell Jongin to don’t mention anything and let him, one of his least favorite persons, take all credit for it? Questions spun around in Yixing’s head after hearing everything Jongin had told him. For now, he would have to be content with the ones Jongin could provide answers to.

“So, you were the one who sold me out to those crazy Byun’s?” he scoffed. Despite his confusion at finding out so many things, he also felt anger and disappointment. There had never been one person he could have genuinely trusted back there, almost everyone had betrayed him.

Staring at Jongin, Yixing didn’t know if he could believe the remorse in Jongin’s face was genuine.

“Like I said, unrequited love brings the worse in me. At that time, my pride had been hurt, and my heart was infected with jealousy. When I told them, I was angry and vengeful, thinking I was doing what I was supposed to. It wasn’t until my mind was cleared that I realized the tremendous mistake I had done. I’m really sorry, Yixing.”

“You may have helped to save me, but I can’t say it’s okay because it’s not. I became collateral damage thanks to you! I trusted you, Jongin, I thought we were friends. And now you’re telling everything was a lie?” Yixing let out a laugh. “Why is it that people find joy in lying to my face?”

“I must admit that at first, everything was a ploy. But as I got to know you, I did come to consider you my friend, and I actually fell in love with you, that was real. Still, there are no excuses for anything I did. And you should be angry with me. What I did was terrible. But I don’t want to keep doing terrible things. That’s why I’m telling you the truth, despite Baekhyun and Junmyeon asking me not to. And another truth I have to admit is that… I always knew about your sister.”

“What? You knew about Qian?”

“Yes,” Jongin said, looking away from Yixing’s gaze. “I made an extensive background check on you before we met. I knew you had a sister. I found out what had happened to her. And I suspected it was because of her that you accepted to marry Junmyeon that first time. With Zitao and Junmyeon being friends, it all made sense to me. That’s why I told you I knew there must have been some agreement between you two before you actually fell in love with him.”

Yixing crossed his arms. “If you knew about my sister’s true fate, then why didn’t you mention it at first? If you had told me way before I began loving Junmyeon, then that would have been the end of our deal. I would probably have left him, and I wouldn’t have gone through hell later.”

The tired smile on Jongin’s lips felt misplaced when he stared at Yixing again. “Because I’m a coward. I may have acted skeptic towards the System, but I would never have been brave enough to betray them, even if I had feelings for someone. I feared what would happen to me, just like Zitao told me he had feared what would happen to him if they had told you the truth. Simply put, I was just trying to save my because, Yixing, I could see through your character and I knew you would have been my downfall. You would have made a big deal out of it, as it should have been.”

Yixing huffed while shaking his head. “And yet you helped to save me? I know Tao might have done it because he regretted lying, but what about you?”

“Honestly, I mostly helped because of Baekhyun. He’s my friend, and Junmyeon had found out about Jongdae. So, freeing you was his payment to keep it hidden. I don’t think I would have tried to free you if Junmyeon and Baekhyun hadn’t made their agreement. I hate to admit this, but I think Junmyeon has always been the bravest of us. I mean, he told you the truth about your sister even if it was too late, he also didn’t mind running back to that hospital to get you back.”

With how chaotic things had turned near the end, Yixing had made this vile image of who Junmyeon truly was. But now that Jongin was telling him all that, the picture was slowly shattering. Yes, Junmyeon still had lied just like all of them, but he had also tried to do the right thing for him. A part of Yixing was relieved to hear that Junmyeon had, in fact, cared about him, that part also said he shouldn’t be angry with him anymore. Another side of Yixing was reluctant to believe Junmyeon had changed entirely and didn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt or his forgiveness. Did Junmyeon’s heroism pay the debt of all his previous mistake? Could Junmyeon’s sacrifices be enough for Yixing to look past the hurt and betrayal? Could he be able to forgive Junmyeon one day? Should he forgive him?

Looking back at their situation, if one day Yixing decided to forgive, there was a possibility that he had hurt Junmyeon too. If Junmyeon’s said feelings for him turned out to be real... Everything Junmyeon had done for him must mean the sentiment was genuine, but Yixing had rejected them. How could he try to talk to him after having done that?

His mind couldn’t decide what he should believe and what to do. Everything was confusing and complicated. He and Junmyeon would probably never see each other again.

“I must go now.”

Jongin’s voice brought Yixing back from his inner debate. Their talk had taken quite some time, and they had missed breakfast. They both stood up and walked back inside the living room, heading towards the kitchen. As much as he wanted to feel sad about Jongin leaving, after learning the truth of their friendship Yixing had mixed feelings. Perhaps it was for the best that they didn’t stay in touch.

In the kitchen, Yixing translated Jongin’s farewell to his parents, who couldn’t thank him enough for everything he and the others had done for Yixing. It was a pity Yixing would have to break the news that Jongin hadn’t been what they had thought. After that heartwarming goodbye, Yixing accompanied Jongin outside, where a cab was already waiting for him.

“Remember you cannot communicate with your friends yet, not until talk to them.”

Yixing nodded. He knew he couldn’t discuss with Kyungsoo and Chanyeol anything of what had happened over the phone. Someone might still be lurking their communication and Yixing would be exposing himself. They would have to pretend he was Zhang Jiashuai and act as if nothing had happened. But at least his friends would be able to come to see him one day. And If Byun Baekhyun kept his promise of being the change that country needed, then perhaps Yixing himself could one day go back there without fearing for his life.

After the cab driver put Jongin’s suitcase in the trunk and held the door open for him, Jongin said, “And one last thing, I told Baekhyun to give Junmyeon the cell phone I’ve been using to communicate with you… I hope that can clear the rest of your doubts.”

Yixing’s eyes widened. That meant he could actually have a way to talk to Junmyeon. But would he be able to do that? Call him and talk to him again after everything that had occurred between them? Should he even do that?

Jongin looked at him one last time before entering the car, “I’m sorry, Yixing.”

As soon as the cab driver closed the door, Yixing found one appropriate thing to say. He knocked on the window until Jongin rolled it down. “Goodbye Jongin. I hope you keep taking care of the unreadables.”

“I will,” Jongin replied, smiling at him.

Yixing stepped back and let the car drive away.

 

 

 

 

By the beginning of April, the winter was long gone. Spring had arrived, making the grass greener, the weather warmer, the flowers bloom. And for Junmyeon, life had gone to a tranquil, mundane state. Unlike the first days where his new co-workers had been intimidated by him or even asked a bunch of unnecessary questions, they had adjusted to him now, and he to the new change. Work was running smoothly by now.

Although the attention caused by the scandal of him quitting his campaign had ebbed away, it had recently rekindled when an article in a magazine had been released. To put it all behind him, Junmyeon had decided to break his silence on the matter. Last month he had had an interview with a journalist. The magazine article would serve as a form of closure to his campaign. He talked about it from the beginning to the end, the ups and down. Of course, the public wouldn’t know the real reasons he had dropped out, but Junmyeon had also talked about his stand-point on the System more logically and calmly than during his resignation speech. As he expected, once the article was released, people had been happy to finally get a deeper insight into why he had quit and what he had been feeling the whole time of the campaign. Some were still resentful he had been lying the entire time and voiced out harsh criticism. For others, it made them continue discussing and thinking about the points regarding the System Junmyeon had talked about. His parents had been proud of him for the article, and glad that he was voicing out his truth. His other relatives were still angry with him due to his ‘selfishness,’ though. His mother reassured him that they would come around, and if they didn’t, then that would be their loss.

With Yixing being free and safely rebuilding his life, according to the last thing Baekhyun had said to him, Junmyeon felt calm, well most of the times. He knew that Jongin doing him one last unasked favor hadn’t been the best idea. Junmyeon was always carrying the cellphone Jongin had given him, in the hope that it would ring one day and he didn’t want to miss it. Of course, the phone had never rung and it probably never would. He knew he shouldn’t be expecting more than what he deserved, and he felt pathetic for holding on to that futile glimmer of hope. Although Yixing’s number was still saved on the device, Junmyeon would never act selfishly and press call. But he still carried it with him, in a way, it served as his current connection to someone he had loved.

There was, however, one last thing Junmyeon needed to fix. A few weeks ago, he had told his parents the whole truth about his break-up with Yixing and why he had disappeared. They had been disappointed to hear about his lies, breaking the law and keeping it all a secret from them, but at least they didn’t end up hating him and were glad that he had rescued Yixing. And he finally felt he was brave enough to face one of his worst fears, to admit what he had once been and done. That was why he was visiting his parent’s house.

He and his mom were sitting in the middle of the garden, surrounded by her well-kept flowers, plants, and trees. It was a chilly day, but nothing they couldn’t bear with a light jacket on. They were about to have some afternoon tea. Even as the years had passed, she still enjoyed drinking one cup of tea every day at the same hour. Junmyeon used to accompany her when he was a child because Jaemin didn’t like the taste of tea, so his little brother would often skip on the invitation. Junmyeon had seen it as his only chance to have their mother to himself, but now, he regretted not having tried harder to convince Jaemin to join them. After Jaemin’s death, Junmyeon never drank tea with her again, not until he was an adult and they shared one cup after eating in some restaurant or on another occasion.

“Do you still take it with one spoon of sugar, Myeonnie?” she asked.

Junmyeon nodded. His mother poured the sugar into his cup, swirling the spoon around and avoiding to make that clinking noise because she knew it tended to irritate Junmyeon’s eardrums. She also served him one piece of angel food cake she had prepared. When Junmyeon tasted one bite, he realized how much better she had gotten at cooking, or well, baking. She caressed his chin and thanked him for the compliment.

They enjoyed their cup of tea and angel food cake while having a conversation about what they had been up to. Junmyeon told her about work, she told her about hers, they talked about the family, more reactions from the article, and so forth. Yixing’s wellbeing was also brought up, but Junmyeon couldn’t tell her more than what he had said last time she had asked. At least they knew Yixing must still be doing fine because nobody had contacted the cell phone in case an emergency had occurred. When the rest of the conversation came to an end, Junmyeon thought it was time to talk.

His heart was beating frantically, his hands were sweaty when he held the porcelain cup, but he still let out a sigh and brought it up. “Mom, do you remember the day Jaemin died?”

Mrs. Kim was taken aback by Junmyeon’s question, puzzlement was all over her face, which was reasonable given that Junmyeon had rarely spoken about his little brother. But she quickly went back to her calm manner and nodded at him.

“There’s something I never told you about it.”

Despite how stone-cold and serious Junmyeon had pretended to be around his parents for a long time, now the façade had vanished. Crying was unavoidable while he retold a story he knew so well. That would probably always be the case whenever he admitted that he had wished his little brother had never been born, only to later found out of his tragic passing away. Acknowledging that he had been a jealous, selfish big brother also made him feel ten thousand times guiltier and more ashamed now that it was his mother hearing him. But while voicing out his confessions, Junmyeon felt as if an even heavier weight had been lifted off his shoulder, a burden he hadn’t been aware he carried. That didn’t exactly mean he got rid of the other challenging emotions.

“It was my fault. I understand if you hate me now… I’m so-sorry, mom.” he concluded. Afraid of seeing the despise in his mother’s eyes, Junmyeon fixed his gaze on the remnants of the brown liquid in his cup. Some tears rolled down his cheeks and landed on the white tablecloth, dampening the fabric. Junmyeon was readying himself to hear his mother’s venting, but instead, her soft hand held his left cheek. Unsure, he lifted his gaze until he could meet her eyes. She was also shedding tears but not looking angry or sickened by him.

“Oh, Junmyeon, how could you ever think we would blame you for that? Or that we would hate you? Of course, we don’t. We would never do that.”

Junmyeon gulped. With a shaky voice, he managed to say, “But-but it was because of me. I selfishly wished he had… Died. It was my fault he left us.”

His mother shook her head. “Minmin’s death… It was a tragic accident that cost two innocent lives. A misfortune that cannot be changed, no matter how much we try to tell ourselves that it could have been avoided or point the finger at someone. Don’t blame yourself for something that has never been in our control, Myeonnie. This wasn’t your fault.”

“I still hurt you, mom. I hurt you and dad.”

She withdrew her hand from Junmyeon’s cheek to cup his hands instead. “You didn’t cause our pain, Junmyeon. Pain is unavoidable when death is involved, you didn’t cause any of it. And if anybody hurt someone here, it was us.”

“What?”

“Parents can make mistakes too,” she said. And then she told him a brief story of how back then she and his dad hadn’t realized the damage they had caused on Jaemin’s and Junmyeon’s relationship. In an attempt to encourage Junmyeon to do better they had been pulling him apart from Jaemin. They should never have said things like ‘you should be more like Jaemin’ whenever Junmyeon made a mistake. Junmyeon was his own person, just like Jaemin was himself. Their careless words had been fueling Junmyeon’s sense of rivalry and making it seemed as if they had a favorite son when in reality they loved them both so much.

“And then, we were so occupied with our own recovery that we failed to notice your pain, Junmyeon. We realized it too late, not until your father had to take you out of that pool and tried to save your life.” She stopped to breathe in as more tears were welling from her eyes. “That was our fault, just like it was our fault that you later became so detached and pushed yourself so hard to be our perfect son when we would have always loved you no matter what. We are the ones who owe you an apology. I’m so sorry for all our past mistakes.”

As he saw his mother cry some more, Junmyeon withdrew his hands to cup hers instead. “You two were the best, loving parents. I couldn’t be more grateful to be your child. It wasn’t your fault that I held that resentment in my heart and that I became the way I did. That was all on me. And it wasn’t your fault I jumped on the pool. I-I couldn’t live with the thought of knowing the last thing I said to Jaemin was something so horrible. I thought that if I went there and apologized, it would make me feel better. That was selfish, I didn’t think of how much that would affect you two.”

“No matter what, I should have been there for you. I shouldn’t have carelessly locked myself in my own aching and ignored to see how Minmin’s death had affected you. I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have anything to apologize,” Junmyeon said. “It wasn’t your fault.”

She suddenly stood up from her chair and went to surround her arms around Junmyeon, holding him a warm motherly embrace, one that made Junmyeon feel safe and loved. Her hand tenderly patted his back. They held each other and cried together in what felt like a fleeting moment, but probably lasted more than they realized.

“Please don’t blame yourself ever again,” she whispered.

Junmyeon still had a long way to accept that, perhaps he might never feel otherwise. Those were feelings he carried with him this whole time, and he had managed to live with them in secret, but now they were finally out. And having admitted that, along with being in his mother’s arms, for once he felt at peace with himself, all of him. “Only if you don’t do it either.”

She didn’t reply anything but gave him a kiss on the head. “I love you, Myeonnie.”

“I love you too, mom.”

After saying that, he thought of how his father would take it when they talked. A part of him knew he would be just as understanding as his mother had been, after all, they were the greatest parents one could ever wish for.

 

 

 

 

In some aspects life had come to feel as before: waking every day for work, coming home to an empty house, talking to the same people he treasured. Still, there were some significant changes. For one, Junmyeon didn’t have to pretend to be perfect anymore, he no longer hid the fact he could feel sadness or vulnerability. Expressing his inner emotions and what he really wanted had now become a part of him. Without having to prepare a political campaign and not having the same responsibilities at work like he had used to, Junmyeon also had more free time, a time he would enjoy spending with his parents, friends or doing things he liked. For instance, he had continued to learn how to cook. The teacher wasn’t as good as the one he had once had, but he had come to like it, the feeling of being able to do something with his own hands.

Tonight, he would actually host his first dinner party, not much of a party, but a chance to meet with his friends and family. Tao would be staying in the city for around one week, and after how their different works had kept them apart, Junmyeon thought it would be fun to hang out with Tao and Yifan. He had also invited his parents. Maybe they could have one of those game nights he used to have in the past. Yesterday his mom had called to ask if some unexpected guests could be added to the list, his grandparents from both sides. He hadn’t spoken to his grandfather ever since that night he had dropped out of the electoral race. Maybe this would mean the old man was finally coming around just like his mother had said. Well, Junmyeon would gladly fix things with him.

With hours left until the dinner would start, Junmyeon was already in the kitchen preparing dinner. He was in the middle of peeling potatoes, listening to the Gymnopédies when the phone rang, and no, it wasn’t his personal one, it was the one Jongin had given him. Junmyeon’s heart began fluttering. He tossed the potato peeler on the sink and cleaned his hands on his apron before taking out the ringing phone. At seeing who was calling, he gaped and widened his eyes, but it was stupid, who else would be calling at this line? With trembling fingers, he tapped the screen to accept the call before it was hung up.

“Hello…?” he asked, still unsure whether it was him or not, perhaps it was his parents, and something had happened.

The person on the other end took in one deep breath. Until finally, he could hear that voice he had just realized how much he had missed. “Hi, Junmyeon.”

It was funny how Junmyeon tended to imagine that one day this moment would come, and yet right now, he couldn’t find the right words to say. He was stuttering while trying to answer. Should he ask how he was doing? Why was he calling? Had something happened? Did he need help?

“How have you been?” Yixing asked him at last. He must have gotten tired of waiting for him to talk.

Junmyeon shook his head in an attempt to regain his composure and hopefully talk normally. “I’ve been fine. It’s… Good. And you, Yixing?”

The conversation continued with them talking as if they were a pair of old friends catching up. Junmyeon gave him a brief summary of what he had been doing, what his life was now. Then, Yixing told him that he was doing fine in China, still adjusting to it, but living fine as of now. Although his parents had said there was no pressure, and they didn’t mind him living with them (something Yixing didn’t care about either), he was job-hunting anyway, obviously, as a florist. Doing nothing at home was making him somewhat anxious. Yixing had been afraid that people would have recognized him from all the publicity he had gotten in the past. He had actually dyed his hair blond just to divert possible suspicion. But so far nobody seemed to have connected him to the past, and Jiashuai had been believable.

When none of them had anything else to add to their recap, Yixing spoke. “I read your article.”

“You did? How?”

“I had to pay an online subscription, but I was rather curious,” Yixing explained. He lightly chuckled. “I saw you also changed your hair. It’s black.”

“Yeah, Minseok used to say chestnut made me look more approachable or something. But that’s not necessary anymore.”

“I like it. And I also liked the article. You said some good stuff. One year ago, I would have never thought you would say something like that.”

Junmyeon smiled. He wouldn’t have believed it either. How things had changed. “I know, I wouldn’t either.”

When another silence had taken over, Junmyeon thought this was it. Yixing had just called to inform he was safe and sound, give an update to everyone on the escape team that might have been worried. And Junmyeon had been glad to hear that, it was what he wished for Yixing.

Until Yixing said, “You know, I spent a lot of days thinking whether I should call or not, but in the end, I did. And now that I see you’re not gonna bring it up, I gotta ask. Did you buy my flower shop?”

Somehow, Junmyeon hadn’t expected that question, but it was an easy one to answer. “Well, I thought it would be better for Sooyoung. She won’t be in debt, she will still be in charge, and you would have gotten your money quicker.”

“Okay, I sensed that. But then, why didn’t you tell me you quit your campaign because of me?”

There it was. Junmyeon knew it, Jongin had told Yixing the whole story. There was no use trying to feign he didn’t know what Yixing was talking about. But Junmyeon wouldn’t admit his own selfish motives, so he went with his other reason. “It wasn’t because of you.”

Yixing scoffed, “What was it then?”

“I owed it to your sister.”

“You owed it to Qian?” Yixing asked. Junmyeon could hear Yixing’s confusion in his voice.

“She didn’t deserve what happened to her, just like you didn’t deserve to be locked in. This was my way of… Trying to make the right thing for her, she wouldn’t have wanted you in there. But it was futile, I failed either way.”

“I wouldn’t say you failed, you were betrayed.”

Strangely, that made him smile, but not enough to agree with what Yixing had said. “It was still my fault you ended with them in the first place.”

“Well, we both know who gave them that intel.”

Junmyeon widened his eyes but said no biting comment in response. So, Jongin hadn’t tried to save his own image? Honestly, he had expected Jongin would omit his involvement. But he had also assumed that this phone call may never come.

“And now, will you explain to me why you didn’t want me to find out you helped me escape?”

“That would have been selfish.”

Yixing laughed, not in a malicious way, just an I-can’t-believe-what-you-are-saying type of laugh. “Selfish? You were willing to risk everything for me. I really can’t understand why you would call that selfishness. If anything, it’s the opposite, that’s… Being selfless.”

Yixing’s take on the situation felt heartwarming as if he had acted like some hero. In truth, that wasn’t exactly the case. “It would have been selfish because I would have made it all about me. I didn’t help you expecting that you’ll forgive me. And if you had known, you might have felt obliged to forgive me despite how much hurt I caused you. I didn’t want to slant the decision towards forgiving me just because I helped you. That wouldn’t have been fair.”

Yixing took some time to think of what to say next. Junmyeon was happy Yixing hadn’t cut the call yet and didn’t mind the somewhat awkward silence. He heard Yixing sigh before talking again.

“After learning the truth I’ve been so confused about what to do. I felt it wasn’t fair that I held a grudge against you after how you saved me, I owed you that. But I couldn’t help feeling how much it had hurt that you lied to me and that you did it again when you asked Jongin to not tell me anything. Apparently, it has become quite the habit that everything I once knew has always been a lie… I kept hesitating whether I should call you or just let it go.”

A sudden urge to cry struck him. Was it due to the realization that he was talking to Yixing had finally hit him? Because of what Yixing had said? Because it reminded him of how sad Yixing had been because of him, and here was Yixing admitting it? Or because he felt as if these were the last words they would ever speak to each other? He couldn’t pinpoint it, but only let his feelings flow free. He sniffed.

“I’m still not expecting anything from you, Yixing. And I’m sorry I lied to you again. I guess that’s both the worse and best quality within me, but I’m slowly trying to change my ways. I just didn’t want you to feel pressured into anything, but again, I failed, and here you are feeling cloven about what to do. But you have every right to choose what you feel like. Some things are unforgivable.”

“They are, but that doesn’t mean they should always be. Although, I can’t say I have forgiven you, Junmyeon. I feel it’ll take me a long time before I can fully say I do. But perhaps over time, I can learn to trust you again, only if you do as you say, and don’t try to take me for a fool again. Being lied to is the worst feeling. Okay, maybe not as worst as finding out your sister is dead or being locked in, but it still hurts.”

“I know, and I won’t do that again… But did you say over time? Are you planning on calling me again?” he asked, his voice faltering at the end. He bit his lower lip while waiting for Yixing to say something. Hopefully, he hadn’t misread the situation because there was suddenly he felt more hope.

“You do know you can also call me. You lost your travel privileges, and there is no way I can go there, so this is the only way for us to talk. Don’t let me do all the work to rebuild this friendship.”

Junmyeon grinned, shaking his head although Yixing couldn’t see that. “I won’t. I’ll keep in touch with you as much as I can. But I’ll probably bore you with my mundane life events.”

“Hey, after that whole shebang, I’m more than happy with ordinary. And my life is just as thrilling. Today, I spent the whole morning organizing my parent’s kitchen utensils.”

They erupted in laughter together. That was another sound Junmyeon had missed hearing.

“I don’t deserve your kindness and understanding, but you were always the better one of us both. Thank you, Yixing,” Junmyeon said.

“I’m just human, and although that is no excuse for your previous actions, you’re also one. And I’ve also made mistakes, hurt people… But we learn from our mistakes, don’t we?”

Perhaps there was some truth in what Yixing said. Junmyeon smiled fondly. He was happy that Yixing could try to give them another chance to be friends, maybe not what he had wanted, but better than nothing at all.

“And now, what were you cooking? I’m about to start making dinner too. I can help you out. Also, change that gloomy music, you know we listen to dance-pop in the kitchen.”

Junmyeon chuckled, no more tears were falling at this point. “Then, please put on something worthy of your choice, you almighty music consultant,” he teased just as he put Yixing on speakerphone to continue with his previous task. He listened to Yixing ramble on about his favorite songs and realized that there was no other melody like Yixing’s voice to him.

 

This is the end of the timeline as we know it. Next chapter is the epilogue and then ta-da! It's finished ^^