2007

My bestfriend's girl

2007

ALICE

I walked through the empty hallway towards where I left my bicycle at the front of the school. Seunghyun has been spending his afternoons at the school library. His father’s threat about being homeless was beginning to take a toll on him. His father kept saying that if he fails to graduate he will have to sleep on the streets. I on the other hand have got my eyes fixed on culinary school. I just want to open up my own chain of restaurants. That’s the dream. My train of thoughts were derailed when I heard someone calling my name. I looked around and noticed a group of guys from class were playing basketball at the court not far from where I was. I saw a boy running towards me from the court. He was wearing a red basketball jersey with extra baggy shorts. His hair that was drenched with sweat flicked with each step he took. Despite being skinny, he had a good amount of muscle to him. He gave me a gummy smile as he wiped his hair with his white towel. He stood in front of me, just a couple of inches taller. Unlike Seunghyun who would normally tower above me since I would only reach his chest. The one in front of me now was without hesitation seemed really cute.

“Hey Alice.” He shyly said with his eyes lingering around.

“Hey Jiyong”

“Erm so where’s your boyfriend?”

“Who? You mean Seunghyun?” I snorted out laughing. He shyly nodded, touching his nape every now and then.

“No, no. not my boyfriend. No.” I repeated over and over again.

“Oh really? Err, cool. I thought you guys were err…” his voice trailing without finishing his sentence.

He was biting his lips in agitation. His fingers twitched as he twirled them round and round. I could clearly see his troop of friends, SooHyuk, Youngbae, Seungri and Daesung who were playing basketball has now shifted to the side court and was looking directly at us as if we were a soap opera. They were somewhat howling and cheering with a mixture of booing at Jiyong.

“I erm will be throwing my erm 20th birthday party and it would be really cool if you came. I mean everyone is invited.”

“Sure, I’ll be there.”

“Cool. I’ll, erm text you the details?” He was stuttering and tripping with his words. The coolest kid in school was tripping over his tongue in front of me. He tapped his right feet in anxiety. Inside I was dancing in amusement at how dorky Kwon Jiyong actually was. I never truly had a proper conversation with him so this took me by surprise. He would occasionally cover his smile with his hands.

“Alright.”

“So, erm. Can I have your number?” He asked as he handed me his mobile phone.

“Here you go.” I handed him his phone back after keying in my number.

“Cool. I’ll text you. Bye” Jiyong smiled and waved me goodbye as he ran back to his group of friends who were cheering on him.

I couldn’t believe myself, the coolest kid in school asked me for my number and I felt queasy with amusement. Kwon Jiyong or what his gang would normally call him G Dragon was a trainee at this huge entertainment company since our second year in school. He was one of those destined to be a superstar after we would graduate high school so he was always very stylish and his image was well taken care of. Literally every girl in school would fall like flies when he is around. Well, not me. No. No.

You have 1 text message from: Alice

Alice : Hey, u know bout Jiyong’s bday party?

Seunghyun : Yea he told me @ gym just now.

Seunghyun : cool how he could rent out a whole club for the party. Rich kid.

Alice : how do u know where it is?

Seunghyun : he told me? What did he tell u?

Alice : that he was goin to text me the details?

Seunghyun : hahahahhahaha…..old school tactics! He just wants your number!

Seunghyun : so has he texted u yet?

Alice : no, I just gave him after school.

Seunghyun : give it a few days, he will text. ^^ Alice’s got a boyfriend??

Alice : shut up!

Seunghyun : r u blushing? R u blushing? Pyong! Alice is shy…hehe…

Seunghyun : do u like him?

Alice : I swear if I get my hands on u I will strangle u!

Seunghyun : *chocking*help* ^_^

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong was the most popular student of their batch so it was only natural that everyone wanted to be invited to his 20th birthday and it became the talk of school the whole week leading to his party. The party was held at one of the exclusive clubs in Gangnam.

“Did you really have to wear something so short?” Seunghyun asked as he eyed Alice’s outfit from top to bottom. Alice wore a black sleeveless lace fit and flare dress which made her exert a really flirty aura. Seunghyun on the other hand wore a simple black and white chequered shirt with matching black pants. They were both making their way towards the bustling street of Gangnam that was packed with people as it was a Saturday night. Alice simply shoved him off with a smug smile.

“I mean, I can see your whole leg. A dress below the knees is fine but this?”

“You sound like my grandpa. Plus this dress is the only dress I don’t feel fat in.”

“You’re not fat.”

“You’re my best friend of course you don’t see me like the other guys do. I’m ugly.”

“I think you’re beautiful just the way you are. And guys get wild ideas you know.”

“That’s the point of going with you. Hyunnie oppa my knight in shining armour!” she smiled cutely while batting her eyelashes at him.

“I’m not letting you out of my sight. You are stuck with me tonight. Even if you are thinking of sliding off with Jiyong or anything, I’ll be there!”

“Don’t bother. I’m sure you want to have some alone time with what’s her name again? Oh Park Bom? Don’t pretend I don’t see the way you ogle at her legs.”

Alice teased as they both entered the loud party. The club was pumping as the DJ played nonstop dance tunes. The dance floor was packed as everyone danced and had a good time. Jiyong and his posy of friends stood at the VIP balcony, like hawk eyes they watched as guest entered his party. Jiyong was sharp in his all black get up. He looked like some sort of Triad leader. Alice and Seunghyun were enjoying themselves with the free flow of alcohol. It was only their third tequila shot and Alice’s face was plum red. The music was pumping louder and louder with the lights flashing again and again.

“May I steal him?” asked a pretty lady who was pulling on the collar of Seunghyun’s shirt. Her long milky white legs were made apparent by her black bodycon dress that hugged her perfect body a little too tight. Her s were screaming wanting to be released. Her long jet black hair flipped with every movement she made. Alice nodded unknowingly before Seunghyun could say anything. The tequila shots they were having were making her tipsy and all she could do was smile warily at the guests. Seunghyun willingly followed Bom towards the dance floor, with a goofy smile plastered on his face.

Alice was left alone at the bar counter but not for long because soon Jiyong approached with two glass of whiskey in hand. He handed one of the glasses to Alice. He smiled sincerely at her as she took the glass from him.

“Happy birthday.” Alice shouted over the booming music.

“Thank you.”

Jiyong remained quiet with his right hand tucked in the pocket of his black jeans. He was biting his lips, thinking of what to say next. He bent over to whisper into her ears. The smell of Jiyong’s perfume lingered into her nose.

“You look pretty tonight.”

“This?” she asked to which Jiyong shyly nodded.

“Do you wanna dance?” He asked while extending his hand towards Alice. Without hesitation, she grabbed his hands and he led them to the dance floor. From where he was standing, he could clearly see her following him to the dance floor. He was at the company of the prettiest girl in school yet his eyes still lingered towards his best friend and a tiny hint of jealousy seeped inside of him as he watched the way she laughed at the things he was whispering to her.

“Look here Seunghyun.”

Bom’s long lean fingers lined Seunghyun’s chiselled jaw line seductively as she tried to shift his attention back to her. She nibbled on his ear and willingly he allowed it to go on. Despite that he couldn’t take his eyes off Alice.

Slowly Jiyong’s hands began lingering on Alice, touching her ways she has never been touched before. He couldn’t stand the sight of her being touched by other men. That was the last for him and Seunghyun strutted his way towards them leaving Bom disappointed by the bar. Confidently he tapped Jiyong by the shoulders.

“I need to steal her for a second.” Seunghyun said as he grabbed Alice’s wrist, pulling her so she would follow him. He dragged her towards a secluded corner at the bar. Alice rebelled and with all her might pulled her wrist away from him.

“What was that about?” she demanded an answer.

“I was saving you.”

“I don’t need saving. We were only having fun.”

“His hands were all over you.”

“That’s none of your business, thank you very much!” Alice grabbed the tequila shot from the counter and gulped on the drink in one shot. She bit into the lemon slice violently.

She threw her hands in the air after downing the liquor. She handed another shot glass at Seunghyun. And they both laughed in joy as the euphoria of the alcohol began consuming them. They both happily danced by the counter taking one shot after another. Suddenly without a hint of hesitation, Seunghyun dived in to inch his face closer to hers. She didn’t push him away. He took a whiff. He could smell the alcohol from her breath as it mixed with the sweet scent of strawberry from her shampoo. His head was buzzing and somehow the pounding music was inaudible to his ear. He was so close to her. He cupped her plum cheeks in his hands and just like that their lips touched. The nook of their nose complimented each other. They were indulged in the sheer taste of one another. He tasted the buttery texture of her lipstick. The longer they lingered that way, the more convinced he was of his feelings. Out of the blue, Alice lost her balanced and she fell flat on her back, breaking their kiss. Seunghyun panicked and crouched down next to her only to find her already passed out by the alcohol. Carefully he picked her up and carried her home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t know what you kids were thinking. Getting home beat up drunk and telling me it’s a birthday party!”

The voice of Alice’s omma boomed from the other side of the door, greeting Seunghyun on that beautiful Sunday morning. He smiled politely and bowed a greeting at the old woman.

“It was totally my fault eomonim.” He put his arms up in arrest.

“I’d love to believe that Seunghyun dear but I think I know my own daughter can be a little bit wild sometimes. She’s upstairs, too embarrassed to come down.” She told Seunghyun without him even asking.

He made his way through the house he was too familiar with and knocked on the white door that had a sign that says ‘Alice’. Gently he knocked. His heart was beating against his ribs as the flashes of memory of their first kiss played like a broken tape in his head. He couldn’t sleep just thinking of it and today he made up his mind, he was going to talk to Alice about it.

“I don’t want to go out.” shouted a hoarse voice beyond the door. Carefully he turned the brass doorknob and made his way in. Alice quickly hid under the huge comforter the moment she saw Seunghyun walked in. The curtains were closed. The room illuminated a hue of red and was dimly lit only by the bright sun that was trying to penetrate through the thick curtains.

“You’re going to have to come out at one point.” Seunghyun mocked as he plopped himself on the bed next to her.

“No I don’t. I’m too embarrassed. I was a really bad girl. Urgh!” She said under the blanket. Alice couldn’t even lift her head to look at Seunghyun. Softly he pulled the blanket out of her hands and pulled her to sit upright.

“You don’t have to be embarrassed about it.”

“But I am. It makes me want to puke just thinking about it.”

“Which part?”

“All of it.”

“Anyway, there’s something I need to talk to you about. About last night.”

“No I don’t want to talk about last night. I don’t ever want to remember it, ever. Let’s just pretend it never happened, at all. Keep it a secret between you and me. Promise?”

Alice offered her right pinky finger at him. Seunghyun heaved a heavy sigh as he nodded understandingly after seeing how serious she was. Reluctantly he accepted her little finger, making a promise to never bring up the kissing incident ever again.

“How did we get home last night?” She asked.

“Omma picked us up. She even screamed at me saying what a terrible influence I was to you.” he chuckled.

“Oh but you are, the worst Seunghyun.” Alice teased.

“Park Bom was all over me last night.”

“No shut up. Even I want to sleep with her.”

How am I supposed to erase the taste of your lips form my mouth when all I ever wanted was you?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm so addicted to updating new chapters....can you blame me?