A new beginning

My bestfriend's girl

Alice:

Dear Jiyong,

I don’t know if you still use this number or not but I’ll just give it a shot. First of all, anyeong heseyo! Alice Park here. I don’t think you remember me but I hope you do. We were in the same year in high school. I went to your 20th birthday once. How are you? I hope you are well and also congratulations on your debut, chukae!

I know I have never kept in touch with you throughout the years but I have something very important to tell you. I hope you don’t take this as a joke but we have a daughter. Her name is Kwon Sohyun Lily. She is 5 years old now. I know I should have told you sooner but I didn’t want a child to be of burden to you as your career was taking off. But I now realise that she has come to an age when she begins to question things and particularly why everyone else in school has a mum and dad. Please know that I am not expecting money or fame from you, I would very much appreciate that you keep her a secret from the public and your fans. I can provide for her as I have always the past 5 years but all that I am asking of you is for her to know that you are her father and that you can fill the void in her heart that’s been craving for a fatherly love. Thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Who is it? I shouted as I scrambled to my feet from in front of the TV. It was one of those rare Saturday mornings that I was completely home alone and the doorbell ringing indicating a visitor was not something I was looking forward to. Omma and appa were spending the weekend in the country side while Hyeyoon unnie took Lily and Yeonjun to the theme park. I was seriously caught off guard as I swung the front door open to be greeted by a very stylish young man. He had oversized sunglasses and wore a black fedora. His black t shirt was so thin I could vaguely see the tattoos underneath his shirt. He wore black skinny jeans with rips across both knees paired with newly polished combat boots. His strong presences sent chills down the spine. Was he the mafia? Or is he some sort of gang leader? Did appa lend some money? These thoughts ran through my mind.

“Omo, who are you?” I asked in caution.

He smiled and bowed politely at me. He then pulled out a bouquet of flowers he had in his hands behind him. Aigoo, gangsters have manners nowadays I thought to myself.

“Alice?” He asked.

“Alice Park?” He repeated. I simply nodded and bowed my head respectfully.

“You don’t recognize me?” he asked playfully as he took off his glasses and hat to reveal his jet black hair that had dashing blue tips. I immediately recognized his gummy smile with his shiny pearly whites.

“Aigoo, I didn’t mean what I sent. It happened on a whim.” I quickly answered as I tried to push him out of the way so I could close the doors. The more I pushed him the more he resisted. He tried to peep through around me. He stood on tiptoes and his eyes lingering around for any sight of Lily.

“Wait, wait, listen. Can we talk inside? Just in case your neighbours recognise me.”

I rolled my eyes and sighed heavily before allowing him into the house.

“Just give me a chance to meet her.”

“Why would I?”

“Because I’m her appa? Her dad!”

“Wah Kwon Jiyong ah, what makes you entitled for that name? Those? Where were you appa when she took her first step? Where were you dad when she lost her first tooth? Or where were you daddy when she had jaundice the first few weeks?” I asked angrily as I pointed at the flowers he placed on the kitchen counter. My arms crossed on my chest, I somehow felt reluctant and regretted ever telling him.

He smiled coyly as he leaned in closer to me across the kitchen counter.

“Has anyone ever told you that you have the most magnificent set of eyes?”

“I’m not joking Kwon Jiyong!”

“I know I abandoned you for 5 years and am I the one to blame? You didn’t tell me. I would have stood by your side and be the father I was supposed to be.”

“Mian Jiyong ah, you were about to debut. I couldn’t take it away from you. All your hard work, you barely went to school. I just couldn’t.”

“I know, our situation back then complicated things and this situation is going to hurt you, me, my family, my fans especially Lily but give me one chance. I swear I will make it up to her.”

“Fine, one chance and that’s all you get. But swear to god you will protect her from the public and you be nice to her. And I mean santa claus, happy birthday, ester bunny nice. No funny business, one slight move I swear I will end you myself.”

“Hmmph, you are so fierce now. Are you sure you’re Alice? I don’t remember her being this scary in high school.”

“Kyaa, I’m a mother. I’m like a crouching tiger protecting her cub.”

“Wow, what is this? My heart is fluttering.” Jiyong teasingly placed his hands on his chest.

“Don’t flatter yourself Kwon Jiyong.”

“What is she like? Is she like me? Does she have my looks?”

“You are so full of Jiyong.”

“I’m kidding. Come on. Smile.” He said as he poked my cheeks with his fingers playfully.

“Oh one more thing, she really likes animals especially rabbits and pandas.”

 

 

 

 

 

A few weeks later

 

“Ahjusshi, are we there yet?” Lily questioned as she held tight to the toy rabbit in hand. The pair were riding in a luxurious foreign car that was sent over to drive them to their destination. The driver smiled at her through the rear view mirror.

“Lily, the ahjusshi has to focus driving. Don’t bother him.”

I was nervous and my heart couldn’t calm down. Is this right, questioned that little voice in my head. Jiyong had planned a weekend away at his parent’s pension so he could properly introduce his family to Lily. This would also be the first time he meets her. My heart couldn’t stop racing. Soon, we pulled up at a large yard with an even bigger house. It was the biggest house I have ever laid eyes on. The whole pension was surrounded by trees and was so secluded that the nearest neighbours were a 30 minutes’ drive. I held onto Lily’s tiny hands. Both nervous and anxious. It was then that I saw Jiyong pacing the house entrance. He then noticed us walking up to him that he stood rooted in his spot. His eyes were fixed on Lily and slowly a smile cracked across his façade. Jiyong was wearing a simple white t and black skinny jeans. He must really love skinny jeans I thought to myself. Jiyong waved cutely at Lily.

“Anyeong. Kwon Jiyong imnida.” He said with a voice that tried to sound extra adorable, he handed her a toy Panda that had a red bow tie around its neck.

“For me?” She asked as she took the toy from him. He nodded with a silly smile still cracked across his face.

“What is your name?”

Kwon Sohyun Lily imnida.”

“What about him? What is his name?” Jiyong asked pointing at the toy rabbit.

“This is bunny tokki.”

“Lily baby, remember how you always ask me why your friends have an appa?”

The little girl nodded with eyes fixed on Alice, still holding tight to the toy bunny and panda.

“Do you know why you and this ahjusshi have the same name?”

She simply shakes her head and kept silent, allowing Alice to go on talking.

“Sweetheart, he is your appa.”

With eyes wide, she looked from Alice to Jiyong. It was clear on her face that she was processing this idea.

“Are you really my appa?” she ran over and wrapped her short arms around Jiyong’s knee.

“Well, I’m Kwon Jiyong and you are Kwon Sohyun. We both have Kwon that means we are the same! Arasso?” He said, picking her up into his arms for a hug.

She nodded understandingly without uttering a word.

“Are you hungry? Halmeoni prepared a lot of good food, harabuji wants to play with you and Dami imo has so many toys you can play with. Everyone is really excited to meet you. Are you ready to meet everyone?” He asked as he extended his hands to her. Cautiously, she grabbed his and he firmly held onto her small hands.

“Appa do you like me?” She asked suddenly.

“Of course. I like you very much. Jinjja! Promise.”

 

 

Jiyong lead the way into the house then into the kitchen, walking hand in hand with Lily. We were immediately greeted by an old couple busily setting the dinner table.

“Lily introduce yourself.” I said.

“Anyeong heseyo. Kwon Sohyun Lily imnida. I am 5 years old.” She greeted as she bowed to the elders.

“Aigoo, you are so smart.” Jiyong’s mom said as she picked Lily up for a hug.

Her husband soon followed suite and stared at Lily’s face before patting her head. We then all sat at the dinner table. Jiyong’s sister soon joined us at the table.

“At first, I thought you were manipulating my son. I thought you wanted money that you would claim he has a daughter but looking at Sohyun’s face, I am convinced that she is my blood. She looks exactly like Dami when she was that age.” Jiyong’s father said.

“Alice dear, why did you suffer alone? Aigoo, I’m so sorry for my son’s stupidity. But I’m so happy that you finally want him to be responsible. We should host your parents here as well, as an apology.” His mother added.

“Aniya, it is not that I didn’t want him to take responsibility but he was about to debut and that he was rarely in school, I didn’t want him to lose his dreams and his hard work but Lily is at the age when she starts questioning things and its becoming difficult to hide from her.”

“Let him lose his dream. Stupid kid. I’m sure you had a dream too.” Dami glared furiously at him.

“Yah noona! Mind your language. My daughter is here.” He said whilst covering Lily’s ears.

 

 

Lily was quickly bonded with the family she just met. Both her grandparents seemed to be fond of her while Dami just couldn’t stop changing Lily’s hair style. One minute it was a fishtail braid, the next it was a high ponytail. I sat silently at the patio overlooking the vast backyard of the pension. The thick forest around the yard was illuminated by the bright full moon. Deep in my heart I was praying that what I was doing was right for Lily.

“Hey!”

My train of thoughts were suddenly derailed as I turned back to see who the owner of the voice was.

“Can I join you?” Jiyong asked.

“Sure. It’s your house, do whatever you want.”

“How are you?”

“I’m good. You?”

“Me too.” The atmosphere between us was full of awkwardness. We were never actually friends back in school. We had some classes together but never actually shared any projects or assignments. I glanced at Jiyong as he rubbed his thumb on the neck of his wine glass anxiously.

“I’ve never actually said this properly but mianhe and thank you. I’m sorry for being a jerk and made this happen to us but I’m also thankful that you took care of her well even on your own.”

“You know, I was so sure that I wanted to give her up for adoption and head over to New York but then the moment the nurse placed her on my chest right, she was wet, sticky and crying so loud, despite all that I just couldn’t let her go. I couldn’t bear the thought of giving her away.”

“You’re amazing Alice.”

“You’re not too bad yourself. Multiple awards, thousands of compositions under your belt, international stages all over the world.”

Jiyong shyly covered his smile with his hands. His face flushed red.

“That’s nothing. You…you, what do you do?”

“Me? I’m an assistant chef at the Ritz Carlton.”

“Wah daebak. Hyunsuk hyung always eats lunch there, maybe I should follow him sometimes.”

“What? Why? Are you stalking me now?”

“Why? I can’t stalk you? Are you married?”

“No”

“Are you dating someone?”

“Aniyo”

“That’s good” he exclaimed chirpily with a smile from one ear to the other.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I guess two updates a day is enough? Enjoy! Let me know what you think in the comment section!