Chapter 3

Sheltered (mafia!Kai)

Short: Law student and intern Kim Jongin uses his charms for a dangerous pastime behind the screens, but he falls for the most normal girl.
Words: 3040
Type: Angst/Fluff
Pairing: Kai x Miyong (oc)
Notes for update: 30
Warnings: idk what to tag this as, sorry :/
A/N: This will run chronologically with Engraved, but it’s not needed to read this to understand Engraved, but the parts posted for Engraved after this will contain spoilers. It is also not necessary to read Engraved to understand what is happening here. But it will make things more clear.


Miyong pov

She had started cutting vegetables for the food because Jongin texted he was running a little late. At first she’d thought something off it, but she pushed it away when she received another text that he was on his way. They’d been hanging out a lot, going for lunch together, or late dinner after shifts. He’d helped her with her criminal law course and she helped him with philosophy. 
God, she’d fallen for him so hard and it felt like there was no return. He was everything she wanted really. Not the criminal aspect, but everything else. The beautiful smile, the kind heart, the soft personality. He’d great with kids, and smart too, genuine and lovely. A little crazy sometimes, but she liked it. She’d grown attached to him, and she wouldn’t know what it was like without him anymore. 

tumblr_oqg6n68Wez1u94j5lo1_500.gif

Originally posted by intokai

 


 

Today would be the first time he’d meet her dog. She hadn’t really mentioned him before she realised. The little corgi that kept her company in her apartment, Nana.
Her bell rang, and the little floof raced off the couch to the door, barking excitedly at the newcomer. She’d been at the vet when Jongin came over last time. She was barking and she knew Jongin was a dog lover, so she made no rush in getting to the door. Miyong washed her hands and checked her makeup in the mirror before she walked over. “Coming!” she called.
Jongin waved at her through the window, and pointing at Nana with a goofy smile. As soon as she opened the door he bent down and scooped up the little dog in his arms. “You have a dog?!” he asked, petting her and holding her close. Nana tried to his face and he laughed it off. “You never told me!”
He seemed so happy with the little animal right there it made Miyong smile just as wide. “Yes, I forgot I guess. Her name’s Nana.” 
“Little Nana.” He pet her ears which were standing up with happiness. “She’s cute. I want a dog.” 
“I know, you’ve mentioned. Well you can come here to play with Nana as often as you want.” She said motioning him over to the kitchen. “I already started a little, I hope you don’t mind.” 
He carried Nana and didn’t make any intention of letting her go, holding her tight, and the dog seemed content in his arms. Jongin traced little patterns in her fur as she leant her head on his shoulder.
“So I assume all you attention is going to go to the dog now?” she joked. 
Jongin’s eyes widened for a second. “Of course not, I just like dogs.” He stepped over and kissed her cheek. “But you having a dog is definitely a plus.” He winked cutely. 
When she blushed a little and kissed him back he put Nana back on the floor and started to help her with cooking. They made chicken teriyaki, a recipe she’d gotten from her grandmother a few years ago. 
Jongin loved it, and she was glad. As they found themselves huddled up on the couch together with second serve plates and Nana sleeping on Jongin’s feet. He commented on how it felt like a little warm blanket, and asked how old she was. 
“She’s 2 now, I got her when I moved out. My parents didn’t want me to be alone. But she’s not much of a protector, she’d the blood of my murderer’s hand I think.” Miyong joked. 
Jongin covered the dogs ears. “She’ll hear you.” He laughed. 
There was sauce in the corner of his mouth, and she wiped it away. He blushed a little, spreading over the tan of his cheekbones. She wondered for a second, if he was always this happy and smiley, or whether it was just because of her. Miyong remembered when he’d told her about his job and he’d seemed to small and broken. But she hadn’t seen that Jongin since, he was all smiled and laughs now. But maybe it was different when he was home. Although he did she he liked the ones he was with, even if he didn’t like the job. 
“Jongin?” 
“Hmm?” he mumbled with his mouth full. 
“You say that they’re your family right? They guys you live and work with.” 
He swallowed and nodded. “That’s what it feels like, really.”
“But then, if you leave, what happens?” 
Suddenly his smile faltered, and she regretted asking. “I…Sometimes I don’t want to think about it, but I know that when I leave I can’t just come back. I mean I can always come home I guess, they’ll miss me as well, and I’m sure they’ll be here for me if I need them. Especially Angel. But I can’t just come and go as I please. Because of my identity and danger that it can cause to me and the people around me. It’ll be hard, but it’s what I want. It’s not like they’re completely gone, I learnt a lot from them, good and bad things, but they’ll always remain family.” There was a tear in the corner of his eye, and she reached out to wipe it away. 
“Don’t go until you have somewhere to go.” She said. “You shouldn’t be alone.” 
He chuckled and looked at her, eyes turning to little crescent moons, cheeks lifting again. “You’re so sweet. I don’t think I will, no. I don’t go to be alone. I’d rather stay with them and do this work than be alone a-“ 
Jongin halted at the end of his sentence, it was barely audible, but she caught it. His sentence wasn’t finished but he seemed to play it off as if it had. 
Miyong gathered the last bit of her food and ate it, savouring the taste, because sadly it was all gone now. “I’m sorry for taking away the good mood.” She put her plate on the table. 
“Oh, don’t be sorry, it’s okay. I mean it’s okay for you to ask things like that, really. I understand.” He finished his plate and quickly exchanged it for Nana in his lap, who woke from her slumber. She leant with her paws against his chest and pressed her nose against him, short stubby tail wagging with excitement. He brushed his fingers through her fur and laughed loudly as she tried to his cheek. 
How a small dog like that could bring him such joy, she wondered. But it was a good thing. Miyong gathered the plates and put them in the dishwasher. She opened the fridge and pouted a little, “I don’t have anything for dessert.”
Jongin looked up and carefully pushed Nana down into his lap. “We can go out for dessert?”
“Go where? There’s nothing open this late.” She frowned. 
“Oh, I know a place, I think it’s a few blocks from here. I know the owner, come we can take Nana.” 
Miyong narrowed her eyes at him, stepping closer as he got up, pushing a finger into his chest. “This is just a lame excuse to take Nana for a walk isn’t it.”
He smirked a little, something she hadn’t really seen this up close. And it did something to her she didn’t expect. “What?” he snickered. “You really are scared the dog will replace you?” 
The mischief in his eyes made her heart flutter and she answered. “You’ve been touching Nana more than me all night.” It sounded better in her head and she could feel a light blush creep on her cheeks as soon as she said it. Jongin didn’t seem to mind though. 
He chuckled, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her close. Their lips connected and she sighed into it. By now the soft feel of his lips against hers were familiar and she easily followed his lazy rhythm. Until she felt something cold on her lip. 
Miyong pulled away and frowned at him, looking at his face. “Jongin?” she asked. 
“Hmm.” He hummed, light colouring on his cheek. 
“Do you have piercings?” 
The light colouring darkened and his eyes widened. “Uhmm…yes?” 
Miyong reached for his face, and touched his upper lip, pushing it up a little. He flinched away. “Let me see, what the hell is that thing in your mouth.” 
He whined like a little kid and grabbed her hand. So he closed his mouth and she saw him to something with his tongue under his lip. The moment he smiled again she saw two little balls sticking out underneath his top lip. 
“Okay, that…” she trailed, looking at it. 
Jongin closed his mouth. “You don’t like it.”
“Did you purposely hide that from me?” she asked. 
He looked up sheepishly. “Well I’m not allowed to wear it at work anyway, so I have to take them ou-“
“Them? As in multiple?” okay she expected there to be one somewhere maybe…but she checked his ears now and they were clear of holes or whatever jewellery. So she wondered, where he was hiding them. “What?”
Jongin scrunched his nose and kinda stomped his foot. “This is why I always took them out, because I knew you wouldn’t like it.” 
“I never said that.” 
“Huh?”
“I never said that I don’t like it or them. I just…guess I didn’t really expect it to be in your mouth. Wait, please don’t tell me you have your s pierces or something?” 
He quickly shook his head. “No, no, I have 5 in total.”
“Can I see?” She asked. 
Jongin pretended to think on that a little, but he couldn’t contain his smile. “Maybe.”
“Maybe? Come on Jongin just show me.” She pouted. 
That small tug at his lips that resembled a smirk appeared again, a small flash of that piercing. “I can’t just do that.” He laughed. 
“Why?” 
He pursed his lips and pulled her closer again, pressing his lips to the tip of her nose. “I’m not…stripping right now.” He whispered shyly. 
Miyong frowned, yet again, “Excuse me Kim Jongin?” 
Jongin laughed softly, shaking his head, and kissed her. She was not one to deny his kiss, smiling into it as he tipped her back a little. He was lean and strong, and with one hand she felt up the line of his body and slipped it under the collar of his button up. There, right along his collarbone, she felt a little bump there. Another piercing? She felt again, more clearly now, now breaking the kiss. His breath hitched when she touched it again and then she felt that smirk against her own lips.
With her other hand she undid one more button, and he halted for a second. But she just went to feel on the other side, finding something similar, only to continue the kiss. She pulled him with her, back to the couch, to sit, but Jongin had other ideas apparently. He lifted her slightly, and with a soft gasp she found herself on her back. Jongin hovered over her, and broke the kiss for a second to look at her. His eyes were darker, pupils wider, as he cupped her cheeks and kissed her again. There was more desire in this kiss than usual, as his tongue found hers and she again felt the piercing brush against her lips. 
She moved her hands, lightly tugging his shirt from his jeans so she could slip her fingers under the fabric. His skin was soft, and warm and she kept one hand there, the other trailing into his soft hair. The remnants of product left in his hair were a little sticky but the strands slipped easily through her fingers. 
One of his hands was moving down her side, his weight supported on his other arm. The position was a little uncomfortable, as the couch was shorter than he was, but neither of them had the intention of moving. Everything he did was soft and slow and he seemed to be content just like this right now. 
He parted from her, breaths in soft pants fanning across her face. Jongin kissed her cheek, the corner of her jaw, and all soft butterfly kisses down her neck that made her skin tingle. The vest she’d been wearing over her camisole had slipped down her shoulder and he kissed the exposed skin. She felt his breath, a little shaky, as he leant his forehead on her shoulder and paused. 
Again, she carded her fingers though his hair, wondering why he’d stopped so suddenly. “Jongin?’
“Hmm.” He hummed into her skin, and it tickled. 
Miyong touched his cheek, then his chin to make him look up. His eyes were wide and full of wonder and he looked young. Strands of hair falling over his forehead, she brushed them away. “You okay?” 
He nodded, and she pushed him up a little, sitting up with him and kissing him softly. His hands came up to her sides as he let her lead this time. Miyong stood up, following her heart. There was no tension in the air, it was calm and warm. She took his hands in hers and pulled him up with her. He smiled and kissed her lips, a soft breathy chuckle left him.
The reached the bedroom with soft kisses and easy breathe smiles, it was dimmed, the curtains drawn. Miyong turned the light on just a little, to not cause any stumbles. She landed on the bed with a soft bounce, Jongin crawling over her, his lips connecting to her neck again. Her fingers felt the expanse of his shoulders under his shirt, how the muscle moved as he shifted his weight. She felt his tongue dart out to taste her skin and she sunk her teeth into her bottom lip. 
His nose brushed up along her neckline, and he came back to look into her eyes. With his thumb he pulled her bottom lip from her teeth and dove down for another kiss. A kiss that heated up more than any previous one, one that elicited a moan from her that took his breath away. 
Jongin’s hands were roaming at her side, his fingers just on her skin where her top had ridden up. Miyong decided she’d had enough of the stiff fabric of his shirt, and moved to undo the buttons. He made a soft keening sound when she did so, pushing her deeper into the mattress, making it a little harder for her. 
She chuckled against his mouth and finally got the last button. The fabric fell open, and her fingers found the smooth planes of his stomach. His muscles were lightly defined and soon she discovered another set of piercings near his hipbones. She’d have to decide if that was hot later on. Because the way he was devouring right now occupied her mind. 
Then something happened, as she trailed her hands up his chest. He stopped, breath stuck in his throat. Jongin broke the kiss, panting, he looked at her, eyes scanning her form laying underneath him. She saw something in his eyes, wide with fear. 
“Jongin?” she asked, reaching up to touch his face. 
He flinched away, sitting up. His chest was heaving, and he swallowed thickly. “No.”
“Jongin, we don’t ha-“
“I need to go.”
“Jongin?” She asked, reaching out for his hand as she tried to sit up as well. 
He pushed her hand away, and hastily got up from the bed. With trembling hands he did his buttons, very askew. Miyong got up and he just stepped back like a scared animal. Short breaths in and out through his nose. Fear, what had happened? Had she moved to fast?
“Jongin, I’m sorr-“
“Don’t, please don’t.” He pleaded, voice higher pitched than usual. “I need to go.”
He moved towards the door quickly, rushing. She went after his but he dodged her hands. “Jongin please.” She begged him, confused and upset. 
Jongin furiously shook his head and fumbled to open the door. He was outside within a second, she followed him, trying. But he was quick, agile. Jumping down the stairs and disappearing in the streets. 
There she was, it was dark outside and icy cold. She shivered, as tears appeared in her eyes. It must be at least minus 10, and she was bare footed and dressed in a thin top and vest. With small sniffles she walked back inside, seeing he’d left his shoes and coat here. He’d ran outside on his socks?
Was this her fault? She should’ve waited maybe. God why did she do that. Miyong wanted to beat herself up over this but, it seemed to weird. He’d never expressed anything like this when they were making out before. Nothing, shed had her hands under his shirt, he’s had his hands under his once. What did she do?
She walked into the living room, Nana barked at her from behind the door she had closed. She picked up the dog and cuddled her close. The pup whined. “I know Nana, I know. Do you think it was my fault?”
Nana pushed her nose against Miyong’s cheek as she sat down on the couch. Jongin’s phone was still on the table, it lit up. He had to come back for it right? He couldn’t just walk all the way home from here. God what if something happened to him? If he got hit by a car, of caught hypothermia in this weather. 
She took his phone and looked at the screen. It was a text from someone named Chanyeol, he must’ve been one of the guys he lived with. 

Yo, I’m free tomorrow morning if you still want to try out with the guns. Extra practice is never wrong. Let me know, I’m not sure if you have to work or not. 

Guns? Okay, she shouldn’t be weird about that by now. She knew he handled weapons before. But this was so casual?
Miyong waited for an hour, the clock struck 1am, and that’s when she was done. Everything was here, his wallet, his phone, jacket, shoes. She took her phone and searched her stack of enveloped to find the business card she never thought she’d use. 
Angel’s.