002.

LOCKERBOURS.

On their way to Burger Shack, Seungcheol and Kyulkyung continued bickering about Seungcheol’s comment about her zit, occasionally hearing slapping sounds. Likely because Seungcheol asked for it. Wonwoo and Mingyu were getting to know each other more, asking about where Mingyu came from and why did he decide to transfer.

 

“From Busan? Didn’t you say you were born in Anyang?”

“Yeah, I was born there, but my parents travelled a lot within Korea for business. I barely stayed in a city for more than 3 years back then.”

“I see, so how long will you be in Seoul for?”

“Probably the next 3 too, I guess, unless my parents decide that it’s a place for us.”

“3 Months?”

“Years, hyung. 3 years.”

 

Wonwoo lets out a little chortle, as he rubs his neck awkwardly. They boys were getting along well, figuring out that both of them really like marvel superheroes. Wonwoo always liked Iron Man for his brains, and the amazing suit that came with it. Mingyu’s favourite will always be Thor. The mystical strength of the Mjolnir, power of super strength and flight - all the younger boy ever wanted.

 

“Iron Man is waaaay cooler, Mingyu. Did you see his house? And the collection of suits he had in his house? That’s something I’ll always want to have. Coooool.”

“That’s interesting, hyung, but don’t you think Thor’s strength comes in better? He could crush all his foes in a pinch and he doesn’t need to break a sweat. With that hammer, I’m pretty sure he can take down Namsan Tower in a second. That’s cooler!”

 

Their debate about their favourites lasted till they got to Burger Shack. Seungcheol raised his 4 fingers to the waitress, communicating that they’ll need 4 seats. Mingyu looked around the mall, amazed.

 

“Do you guys come here often,” he asked.

“The mall? Not really! We’re here today because we’ve a new friend with us and we’d like to show you around town!” Kyulkyung said excitedly.

 

Shortly, they followed the waitress to their tables, putting their bags on the floor and flipping through the menu. Seungcheol recommended the Steak and Cheese, it was the eatery’s best seller and everyone loved it.

 

“I’ll just go with whatever you guys recommend, it’s my first time!”

 

Seungcheol called for the waitress again, placing their orders, before going back to the conversation.

 

“So, Mingyu. Tell us more about yourself!” Asked Kyulkyung.

“Well, I’m Mingyu, Kim Mingyu. I’m 20 and a Physics Major in school. I like knowing about how the world works and the science behind it all. I enjoy listening to hip hop and the occasional girlish pop music! My favourite POLOALTO and After School.”

 

“Woah! I love After School a lot too, and my favourite rapper is Vasco,” answered Seungcheol. “I guess we do have quite a bit in common, huh!” He raised himself slightly from the chair, leaning forward with his clenched fist stretched out.

 

Mingyu lets out a hearty laugh, mirroring his action to give Seungcheol a fist bump.

 

“He’s also a Marvel fan, he likes Thor!” Wonwoo added on.

“Aha, yes, I really like Thor, I think he’s cooler than Iron Man,” Mingyu continued while giving Wonwoo a slight nudge.

 

Kyulkyung and Seungcheol then looked over at each other, letting out a little laughter, “alright, don’t argue about this, guys! I think our food is here too!” Said the older one as he looked over Mingyu’s shoulder to see 2 waitresses coming over with their food.

 

After their meal, the three friends split agreed on giving Mingyu a treat by pooling together a little more money to foot the bill. They scurried over to the cashier to get the meal paid for before Mingyu came back from the washroom.

 

Coming back to the table, Mingyu noticed the table was cleared and everyone was ready to leave.

 

“Shall we call for the bill?”

“It’s been settled, Mingyu! Take it as a welcome-to-school treat,” Kyulkyung said with a bright smile.

 

The former grinned ear to ear, bowing slightly while he was seated to thank his new friends. Shortly, they got up and left the restaurant to walk around the mall. Kyulkyung leading the pact (because she spent the most time in the mall going shopping after school) while Wonwoo and Seungcheol followed closely, she showed Mingyu the different stores for stationary, books, cheap food and clothes.

 

“Hey Won, everything alright? Still nervous about meeting your new lockerbour?”

“Of course, hyung. He’s really cool, don’t you think?”

“He’s a cool kid. You two seem to get along well, huh!”

“I guess you could say that, heh.”

 

Wonwoo grinned cheekily, looking at Seungcheol as they continued walking behind till the afternoon tour was over.

 

“I hope you now know where to get all your necessities, Mingyu-ah! If you ever need anything, just give us a call, right?” said Kyulkyung, concluding the tour.

 

That was where they decided to part ways, usually Wonwoo would take the bus home alone while Seungcheol and Kyulkyung headed the same way because they live two blocks away from each other.

 

But, today was different.

 

Wonwoo had company, Mingyu. Mingyu stayed three bus stops away from the Jeons. It was a rather awkward bus ride home. Despite having many seats around, them empty, Mingyu sat next to Wonwoo, on the same pair of seats.

 

“So hyung, I’ve told you so much about myself, could you share some stuff about yourself? It’s a tough thing to do, so I’ll help you! Tell me, what’s your favourite type of food?”

“Ah, I like… I like a lot of foods actually. I like fried chicken cutlets, mango smoothies, kimchi bulgogi kimbap. However, I think my favourite has to be charcoal barbecued beef, ribeye and done medium rare!”

“You sure are specific, hyung. I’m much like you, actually. I like a lot of different type of foods, and I like bulgogi kimbap too! My mum makes a really good one. I’ll bring them to school next time!”

“That sounds amazing, Mingyu. Speaking of food, I got this for you!” The raven-haired boy unclips his satchel, reaching into it to pull out a bag of strawberry sweets. Daintily packaged, it was in a pink plastic bag, sealed with a creamy polka dotted ribbon. The recipient's eyes beamed with joy looking at the bag of sweets.

“For me? Man, you’re such a charm, hyung. Thanks a bunch. I’ll have them well!”

 

The rest of the bus ride was filled with laughter and sharing interesting facts about each other. Who knew, Mingyu grew 14 centimeters during his first year of puberty and Wonwoo’s voice has been so deep all these while!

 

In the blink of an eye, it was Mingyu’s time to alight. He nearly missed it while laughing hard and Wonwoo’s lame jokes. Before he alighted, he swung an arm around Wonwoo’s shoulder, pulling him into a quick hug before waving by at him. He even waved at Wonwoo as the bus left.

 

The elder felt his cheeks heat up slightly after the hug. Shaking his head quickly, hitting his cheeks a few times, he tried to calm down. He hasn’t had such a conversation with anyone in such a long time, not even with Seungcheol. The last time had a conversation like that… It’s something and someone Wonwoo never wanted to talk to, or even think about ever again.

 

Mingyu held the bag of sweets tightly in his hands on his way home, looking at his favourite sweet as he smiled to himself. He thought of how lucky he was to have met friends like Wonwoo.

 

Tossing all his belongings on the bed, the tall, chestnut-haired boy leaves the sweets on the table. Admiring the pack of sweets, he decided to snap a quick photo of the gift and posting it on his social media.

 

Grinning cheekily to himself, he was really excited to taste the sweets. Holding onto one end of the ribbon between his thumb and index finger, he pulled an end of it to untie the pack. The sweet scent filled his nostrils, keeping the grin on his face.

 

Picking a piece of the candy up, he observes its round shape and sugary coating before putting it in his mouth. The explosion of sweetness takes over his mouth. The chestnut-haired student was still grinning to himself, too happy to bother about the entire pile of homework he had to finish before tomorrow.

 

As Mingyu reached the bottom of the pack, he found a little note. A yellow note packed in a transparent plastic wrapper. Clearly written on it was, “TO: MINGYU.” The recipient carefully reached in the for the little package. Unfolding the note, he reads,

 

Hiya Lockerbour!

If you’re reading this note, it means you’ve probably gotten to the bottom of the pack of sweets. I hope you liked it! It’s a little welcoming gift from me.

I hope we get along well! If you need anything, do drop me a text :)

JWW.

 

The reader grinned to himself before pulling out a piece of paper from his bag, scribbling something on it.

 

Two blocks away, the elder was sitting on his bed, unpacking his used gym clothes from class today as well as some homework he received from school. You’d think that a teenage boy’s room would be a mess, but Wonwoo isn’t any ordinary teenager. He’s a Neat Freak, maybe. His room was spick and span, white walls painted 7 years ago were still white, as if painted yesterday.

 

Sitting at his desk while he finished his homework, the raven-haired student was quite nervous about the following few days. “How will Mingyu react to the note”, was all that he thought about. Will he appreciate it? Will he just throw it all away? Will he think that Wonwoo’s a creep?

 

The weekends flew past in the blink of an eye and it was 7:00AM in the morning again. Shutting his alarm off, Wonwoo sat up on his bed, stretching as he took a really big yawn. It was his little actions like that, that made Wonwoo glad that he didn’t share a room with anyone, so they won’t see him like that.

 

He dragged himself out of bed, got dressed and headed down the stairs for breakfast. The smell of scrambled eggs and ham filled the house - just Wonwoo’s favourite. Greeting his parents, he took a seat next to his dad.

 

“You seem happy for a Monday morning, sunshine!” Mrs Jeon commented.

“Really? I think I’m just really ready for the literature presentation later.”

 

He lied through his teeth. He was just excited to see if there’s a little note from someone by his locker.

 

Finishing up his breakfast and washing his own plate, Wonwoo grabbed his backpack and walked out of his house to catch the bus to school.

 

The bus ride to school was quiet, the way Wonwoo liked it. Even though he appreciates the company of a few people at times, he likes his mornings alone. It gives him a little time to appreciate the beauty of the town’s architecture, the cherry blossoms and the morning buzz.

Upon reaching school, he made his way to his locker, a little disappointed that there wasn’t a note by his locker. “Maybe he hasn’t gotten to school yet.”

 

Making his way to class, he bumped into Kyulkyung. They greeted each other with bright smiles and as they parted ways, he could hear a little chatter among Kyulkyung’s friends about how lucky she was to be such great friends with a senior. Still walking away, all Wonwoo was smiled to himself, turning back occasionally to make sure Kyulkyung gets into class as they walked past her classroom.

 

Wonwoo wasn’t in the best shape. There was little churn in his stomach the whole day. Unsure if it was the lunch or breakfast he had, or was it just him awaiting Mingyu’s note. He wouldn’t know. All he did was sit through his classes with the churn in his stomach.

 

When the school bell rang at 3:30PM, Mingyu hopped out of his seat and ran over to the lockers with all his papers, ready to leave school. He was never the most enthusiastic person about class. The complete opposite of Wonwoo; Mingyu has no favourite subject, or lecturer. All he thought about was food, food and maybe Wonwoo, Seungcheol and Kyulkyung in between.

 

The younger was taking deep breaths as he unlocked his locker, looking for the blue note he folded two nights ago. He slipped the note into Wonwoo’s locker. With that, a satisfied smile plastered across his face. It also struck him then, “should he surprise Wonwoo? To say thank you? But what if he left school already?” He whipped out his phone, quickly searching through his contacts for Seungcheol’s number before sending her a text.

 

KMG: Hey hyung, it’s Mingyu!

CSC: Oh hey, Mingyu. What’s up?

KMG: … I’ve got a weird question to ask you…

CSC: Did you get into trouble and you’re looking for loopholes.

KMG: No no, none of that sort. But I was wondering, what time does Wonwoo hyung’s classes end today.

CSC: Oh, I think it’s 5. He’s tutoring the freshmen now. Something weird he signed up for that I’ll never understand. Why’d you ask?

KMG: I see, thanks for letting me know! I was just hoping to thank him in person for the bag of sweets he gave me.

 

Seungcheol looked at his phone with a puzzled expression. When did Wonwoo buy a pack of sweets for Mingyu? Wonwoo never got the older a gift!

 

The younger took a seat on the benches near the lockers. He could see his lockerbour’s locker, making sure to surprise him when he shows up. While waiting, Mingyu started on his homework to make sure he wasted no time, so that he can play League of Legends with his classmates at night.

 

The chestnut-haired boy rubbed the top of the pencil against his head as he thinks of a solution for an algebra question, only to snap out of it by the bell. Looking at it, it was 5:00PM. It’s the time that all the students are done with their classes and he watched them trickle down the hallway.

Wrapping up the last question, he gave his tutee a pat on his shoulder, telling him that he did well with an assuring smile. Packing his bag, Wonwoo left the library and made his way to his locker to grab his sweater as it was rather cold.

 

A blue note fell off his locker as he opened it. Wonwoo squealed internally. Quickly unfolding it to read it, unaware of the pair of eyes watching him, he stood by his locker with a wide grin on his face.

 

Jeon Lockerbour!

Got to admit, the pack of sweets tasted really good. I bet it cost you a lot of money, right? I could tell just by looking at the packaging.

I really liked it alot and I couldn’t be anymore thankful for that - as well as your company.

I hope to see you soon :)

KMG.

 

Then he yelped! A wild Mingyu jumped and landed both his hands on Wonwoo’s shoulder while exclaiming loudly, “Jeon Lockerbour!”

“Ack! You scared me there, Mingyu.”

“Ahaha, I know, I planned it.”

“How’d you know I finish at 5?”

“I’ve got my sources, heh.”

“Why the surprise, tho?”

“Just wanted to say thank you for the pack of sweets.”

“You’re welcome, Mingyu. I hope you liked it! Are you heading home?”

“Yeah, shall we go together?”

 

The pair then walked out of the gates together, under the cotton candy skies as the sun was setting. They stopped at the traffic light to just admire the tinted sky as it reminded Mingyu of the colour of the sweets, while it reminded Wonwoo of the beauty of serenity and nature.

 

On the bus home, they exchanged conversations about how their day went, and Wonwoo told the younger about his tummy, excluding the possible factor of the note. The younger looked at him with a concerned look, making the older finish whatever amount of water was left in both their bottles before Mingyu alighted.

 

That night after dinner, Wonwoo’s phone started buzz a few times. His face lit up, brighter than his phone at maximum brightness upon seeing a text from Mingyu.

 

KMG: Hey Wonwoo hyung, I need help.

JWW: Did you get into trouble with your parents and you need somewhere to stay?

KMG: Hey, I’m not a troublemaker, why does everyone think that way?

JWW: I don’t know, I just had a vibe. But anyway, what do you need help with?

KMG: An attachment has been sent. I need help with this algebra problem.

JWW: I see, hold on.

 

The elder scrambled over to his desk to grab a piece of recycled paper and a pencil. Taking his time to solve the problem. When he was done, he snapped a photo of it and sent it back to Mingyu.

 

JWW: An attachment has been sent. Here you go! It’s slightly tricky, but I’ve included an explanation of where it usually confuses people in this.

KMG: Woah, that’s really helpful. Thanks hyung, you’re amazing!

JWW: Aha, useful yes, but not exactly amazing.

KMG: Trust me, you are!

 

And with that, both of them continued to converse with each other over text messages, sending each other funny stickers while they’re at it till both of them fall asleep.

 


Thanks for reading this, everyone! I'm really sorry for the slow update, I've been away for the whole week and it was a little tough for me to update. I hope the story has been enjoyable so far. :) I'd love to hear from you guys about it! Thanks!

- Wook.