001.

LOCKERBOURS.

“Alright, the least I could do is to thank you guys for trying to pay attention,” Mr Yoo, his literature lecturer said as he proceeded to his table. The disheveled middle-aged lecturer took a slight bow, before gathering the papers on the desk. you can tell that he isn’t a very organized person by just looking at him chuck the work of his students into his russet leather bag.

 

One of his students definitely could not stand the unkempt habits of his teacher and his name is Jeon Wonwoo. The meticulous 20 year old student always gave a 101 per cent to completing assignments for this class, his favourite class, literature. The aspiring copywriter made it a point to check the lecturer’s desk to make sure they have everything with them before they leave; lecturers do miss out loose scripts when they just stuff papers into their bags and leave.

 

Spotting a loose script on the seat as he was about to leave for his locker and lunch, he walked over to notice that the lecturer missed out his work again. The raven-haired male heaved a sigh in relief. If Mr Yoo realizes that Wonwoo’s work isn’t in the stack, he’ll just give him an F for not submitting it. The thought of another wrongful F sent chills down the student’s spine - it’ll be the fourth one this term just because of his lecturer’s carelessness.

 

He grabbed the stapled stack of paper on the chair and made his way to Mr Yoo’s office in haste. Maneuvering his way around the hallway, avoiding mini lunchtime congregations of students along the brightly coloured walls of the school, he finally made it to the door of the staff room without breaking a sweat despite passing through four teaching blocks.

 

Realizing that no one was in after knocking several times, Wonwoo simply left it in the pigeon-hole outside the room, where students place their late work. Looking at his watch for the upteenth time, it strikes him that he was late for lunch with Kyulkyung & Seungcheol, he dashed to the cafeteria.

 

He stopped by his locker which was near the cafeteria to grab his wallet and a pack of sweets meant for his two friends. Looking around his locker, he saw something unfamiliar - a yellow note sticking out. Looking at the lockers around his, he realizes that the locker one away has a similar one. Furrowing his eyebrows, he unfolded the note,

 

Hiya!

It’s really weird for me to be doing something like that, I know, but I recently transferred over from another college and I’m using the locker next to your’s.

I’m in class 3-2, just so you know! I hope to see you around, and maybe you could show me around school or even the neighbourhood, lockerbour. (Locker + Neighbour, get it? :))

Warm regards,
Kim Mingyu

 

Wonwoo thought to himself, huh, such a well-mannered kid. He calls everyone younger than him a kid and he knows because being in 3-2 means that Mingyu is a year younger than the him. On a regular day, he’d question why would a third year student be sharing lockers with the graduating batch, but Wonwoo was too bothered about being late for lunch. Simply brushing it off, he dashed to the cafeteria to meet his friends, realizing that there’s only half an hour of lunch period left.

 

“Woah, Wonwoo, we knew you were busy with class, but you’ve never been more than 15 minutes late for lunch,” Seungcheol commented.

“Hey, at least someone’s studying hard! Making sure he can graduate, and not waste a year,” rebutted Kyulkyung.

 

The trio always had a special friendship, one that no one or nothing could come in between.

 

The trio met at Kyulkyung’s Freshman Orientation Camp. Just last year, Seungcheol was the camp chief, which meant that he called every single shot. Whatever that needs approval, had to go through him. While Wonwoo was in charge of publicity; he always had a knick for writing and the Student Union made good use of that, appointing him the Head of Publicity. He wrote different copies to be printed on flyers, leaflets and on social media to gain attention for the camp, in hopes to getting signups. He spent countless of sleepless nights writing them and working with Seungcheol on them. Naturally, they became close as they started to hang out more and more, even just for leisure.

 

Kyulkyung, back then wasn’t very clear with Korean schools because she studied most of her life back in her home, Shanghai, China. She decided to participate in the Orientation Camp to familiarize herself with school and make some new friends. Kyulkyung was full of questions about the camp, even after reading all about it from Wonwoo’s posts and leaflets that came with the matrics forms. She then decided to contact Wonwoo personally to ask him more - about the camp, school and life-in-campus.

 

During the camp, Kyulkyung appeared in a bright yellow sweater and yellow shorts, her hair tied up into a lazy bun but still stunned everyone with her sharp features, doe eyes and bubbly personality. She instantly got closer to most of the campers.

 

The ball of sunshine went around asking for Wonwoo among the campers, as she wanted to thank him for never missing a question of her’s, and wanted to see what he looked like in person.

 

It was the last night of the camp and Kyulkyung still hadn’t found out who Wonwoo was because she didn’t want to ask the seniors about it, she was afraid of being teased and laughed at. She stumbled upon them wrapped up in blankets, sitting by the steps, watching the campfire and the activities that came with it as she made her way back to the toilet.

 

Whenever asked about how she met Wonwoo and Seungcheol in person, she’ll always say, “fate, fate brought them together.”

 

On her way back to the toilet, she passed by the duo and sneezed three times in a row, which worried Wonwoo. The raven-haired student called out to her, offering her a blanket. “Hey, why are you wearing shorts? It’s cold!” Wonwoo asked.

“I.. I thought it’d be comfortable and warmer at night…”

“She’s mad… madly adorable,” Seungcheol whispered to Wonwoo.

 

Dismissing the latter’s comments, Wonwoo offered Kyulkyung a thin blanket, his favourite one because it was the only clean one - a navy blue blanket with “JWW” embroidered at the corner of it. Only knowing the fact that he’s a senior, it slipped her mind to introduce herself and just left with it after thanking him. After taking three steps, she turned around, shouting loudly, “hey, what’s your name! I’ve got to return this to you after I wash this.”

 

“Jeon Wonwoo,” he replied coolly with a toothy smile that could brighten the darkest of nights.

 

After the camp, when school officially started for everyone, Kyulkyung returned the blanket to Wonwoo during lunch while he was with Seungcheol. Only then, she formally introduced herself to both her seniors. Becoming conscious of the fact that Kyulkyung was new in town, both of them agreed that it’d be cool for her to hang out with them after school, where both boys took her around town, showing her where’s the best place for coffee, meals, studying and leisure.

 

“Krrrrr… Earth to Wonwoo, do you copy?” Asked Kyulkyung as she snapped her fingers in front of a daydreaming Wonwoo.

“Oh yes, yes, I hear you, honey.” A concerned Seungcheol then follows with another question, “why are you so distracted today, buddy? Did something happen in class?”

“A rare caring Seungcheol appears! Psht, nothing happened in class. But this tho.” He slipped the yellow note out of his pocket, putting it on the table, showing it to his friends.

After reading the note, an excited Kyulkyung exclaimed, “if he’s really new in town, maybe we can get him to come along with us! It’s like how you guys brought me around on my first few weeks here!”

“Exactly what I was thinking,” Wonwoo answered firmly.

 


 

It has been four days since Wonwoo received the note and he was still been trying to figure out who his lockerbour is. Not an avid user of social media, he believes way too strongly in being catfished, he snoops around the junior classrooms in his free time to try to catch a glimpse of any unfamiliar faces.

 

Who is he kidding, he wouldn’t recognise anyone.

 

Despite being nearly 6 feet tall and having that thousand-watt smile that could light up a whole town, Wonwoo was hardly noticed by anyone. Always hidden behind bookshelves and overshadowed by outspoken people, he never tried to garner anyone’s attention - not even Mr Yoo’s. He always thought that he never needed to go an extra mile to impress anyone with his looks, as long as he was doing well in school and had Seungcheol and Kyulkyung, it’d be all good.

 

The curious student even got Kyulkyung to join him in looking for his new lockerbour.

 

“Why are you even trying so hard to find this dude? Don’t you have better things to do,” lamented Kyulkyung.

“We didn’t have much for chemistry, upper mathematics, and languages today. I kind of finished them all before this.”

Sometimes Wonwoo would boast about his ability when it comes to academics, only to be put down by either one of his best friends.

“Well, you can finish all the homework in the world before anyone, but you just can’t find this one person. Why don’t you help me with mine instead. I’m rather stumped with this Korean essay…”

 

A string of nagging nearly spilled out of Wonwoo’s mouth upon hearing Kyulkyung’s first sentence, but stopped when he listened more. It was a good habit of his - listening to the end. He took one last glance into the classroom of 3-2 before looking back at Kyulkyung to give her an agreeing nod to leave the block and to their favourite cafe.

 

The duo splits up to head to their own lockers, to get their bags and the necessary books for their study session later on. On his way to his locker, a familiar yellow piece of paper catches his eyes from afar. Somehow feeling excited, he increased his pace for his last 20 footsteps, reaching out to the note. Unfolding in, he reads,

 

Hiya, lockerbour!

I hope you’re having a great day, sunbae! I figured that you’re a senior because everyone else on this row is one too.. Also, it seems like you’re the only one I’ve not seen thus far!

I’ll be dismissed from class at 2PM on Friday and I’ll have nothing on after that. How about we meet here at our lockers, at 2:15PM so that we could at least.. Say hi?

Do let me know, okay? You can just drop me a note like how I’ve done!

See you :)
Kim Mingyu.

 

A cheeky grin, ear to ear, plasters over Lockerbour’s head. Looking through his locker for a blue post-it note, he writes nicely on the back,

 

Hey Mingyu,

That’s a really thoughtful idea. I’ll see you here at 2.15PM then.

JWW.

p/s just curious, but do you have a favourite candy?

 

Just curious? Nah, Wonwoo actually wanted to see if he could get a gift for Mingyu to welcome him to school. He quickly folded the note and stuck it in a corner of Mingyu’s locker before walking away with his books.

 

That was when Mingyu caught his first glimpse of Wonwoo, his backview to be accurate. Mingyu remembered how flustered his arms were as he stuck the note into his locker, how quickly he walked away. What surprised Mingyu more was his handwriting when he opened the note. “How neat,” he thought to himself.

 

Hiya, JWW

It’s funny, because I don’t even know your name, but you left your initials instead of your name. You’ve gotta let me know your name when we meet, alright?

I actually really like strawberry flavoured treats. They could be anything, cake, marshmallows, soft or hard candy. :)

KMG.

 

An amused Mingyu then folded the note, slotting the folded note into the same place he leaves his notes, on the bottom right corner of the locker. He ensures that it is secure by blowing on it a few times before leaving.

 

“Hey Seungcheol hyung, we’re going to Wheeler’s for a quick cuppa while I help Kyul with her homework, do you wanna come?”

“I’ll see you guys there in 20, wrapping up some edits for my essay!”

 

Wonwoo gave the missing one a ring before leaving campus with Kyulkyung. They made it a point to always hang out with each other, to make sure there’s no secrets between them. That said, they would still go out if one of them couldn’t make it.

 

Wonwoo knew spring was here; patches of pink started showing on the trees that lined the streets. The scent of cherry blossoms carried into every breeze that came by, making every breath more refreshing. It was Wonwoo’s favourite time for the year, his favourite time to be out.

 

While walking there, a curious Kyulkyung asked Wonwoo, why was he so excited to see Mingyu, again.

 

“I don’t know, I just have a really good feeling about him. Just look at how you turned out! We’re such great friends now. Another close friend wouldn’t hurt, right?”

“Another man in my life to protect me! Just what I need,” Kyulkyung exclaimed, laughing loudly as they arrived at the doorsteps of the cafe - Wheeler’s.

 

The aroma of roasted coffee beans and cinnamon buns greet them, accompanied by a sweet voice welcoming them into the store. Putting their bags down in the corner seat, they went to place their orders.

 

Wheeler’s was a special place for Wonwoo and Seungcheol. When they were finalizing the copies to be printed on flyers and posted on social media, they would always be here, at the same table where Wonwoo and Kyulkyung’s bags are now at. Staying in the same corner till they were done for the day. Inevitably, they would spend some time talking about each other’s personal life, getting to know each other better. Through such simple moments spent together, they became close friends and called Wheeler’s their little hangout.

 

The doorbell rang and the sweet voice greets the customer. Wonwoo sees someone really tall, broad shoulders in his peripheral line of sight. Not bothering too much about it since they are in a store and they should get customers, he focused on helping Kyulkyung with her homework, nitpicking at the tiniest of grammar mistakes and messy handwriting.

 

While waiting for his drink, the customer couldn’t help but overhear the conversation between the close friends. He observes Wonwoo’s eyebrow furrow as he points out the different words Kyulkyung could have used to make her sentence clearer, the way Kyulkyung shook her head when she didn’t understand what she was hearing.

 

Kyulkyung jumped in her seat when she felt a sudden but gentle tap on her shoulder. Looking up with a puzzled expression, she tilts her head slightly to the right, meeting eyes with the stranger before asking, “do I know you?”

“You don’t, but I think your friend is doing a good job in teaching you. You should listen to him more,” said the stranger.

“An iced americano, gyu-shi!”

“Oh, look! We’re even from the same school, and my drink is ready. I’ll see you guys around, maybe.”

“Huh, that was weird… But oddly true too. I don’t know what I’ll do without your help, Wonwoo,” commented Kyulkyung.

 

But Wonwoo didn’t hear her. All that was in his head was “gyu-shi” it rang a bell, but he just couldn’t put his finger on it.

 


 

JWW: Hey Seungcheol, are you in class now?

CSC: Why are you texting me when YOU are in class. What’s the emergency?

JWW: Nothing, I’m just feeling a little anxious for whatever’s going to happen today.

CSC: What’s going on? You’re confessing to Kyulkyung?

JWW: Not anything of those sorts. I’m just meeting Mingyu later, at 2PM at our lockers.

CSC: I see, I see… It’ll be alright, buddy. No worries about it!

 

“Wonwoo, could you please help me return these papers to everyone?” asked Mr Yoo. The quiet student jolted from his seat; he got the biggest shock of his life when his name was called. He thought he got caught for using his phone. Scrambling from his seat, he went around the class, distributing the papers back the stapled pieces of paper. When he saw his assignment, he smiled to himself at the ‘A’ scribbled on top left corner of the cover.

 

Somehow, Wonwoo kept fidgeting in his seat. Unsure if he was nervous or excited to meet a possible new friend, he never took his eyes off the wall clock hung above the blackboard.

 

After what seemed to be eternity, it’s 2PM. The student was ready to leave 15 minutes before class. He walked briskly out of the classroom when the lecturer dismissed them, not forgetting to bow a good 90 degrees to the elder before leaving. Making his way to the lockers, he coincidentally bumped into Kyulkyung who gave him a little punch on his arm as encouragement.

 

“Don’t look so flustered, you’ll ruin it!”

“I won’t, Kyul. I’ll make sure we’ll have one more person to go out with!”

 

Cutting through one last block, the lockers were finally in sight. There stood Mingyu, who’s back was facing him as the latter searched through his locker. It then all came into place for Wonwoo, ‘gyu-shi’, the height, and chestnut coloured hair, and a warm smile plastered on his face, ear to ear. He was the stranger that talked to them at Wheelers.

 

Slowly walking up to the locker, quietly opened his locker while Mingyu’s head was still in his, god knows looking for what. Mingyu closed his locker first, and he stood by his locker, waiting for Wonwoo, not noticing that he was already there. The later one closing his locker, he turned to his right before taping Mingyu’s shoulder.

 

“Lockerbour?”

“Wait, aren’t you that guy I saw at Whe-”

“Wheeler’s? That’s me. Gyu-shi.”

“It’s really nice to finally be able to meet you, Lockerbour! Got to say, you looked really cool while teaching your friend the other day. Maybe you could even help me with my homework next time!”

“Really now, Mingyu? Will I really be able to help you? I’m a literature major.”

“Well, I’m not too sure about that because I’ll be majoring in physics, but we’ll see what comes along, alright?”

 

The boys converse in their own world, only to be brought back to Earth after the school bell rang, 2:30PM. Just in time for Kyulkyung and Seungcheol’s class to end. Their college makes it a point to not have any classes after 2:30PM on Friday, ensuring the students have a good school-life balance.

 

Wonwoo heard a familiar bickering from the hallway, standing out among all the chatter going on. In an instant, he recognized Kyulkyung’s angry voice. Looking in the direction of where it came from, it’s a Kyulkyung, storming her way through the crowd and an apologetic Seungcheol behind her.

 

“Wonwoo ah, Seungcheol’s really mean!”

“Don’t listen to her! I didn’t do any- Oh is this Mingyu?”

Wonwoo’s cheek were tinted lightly with pink in embarrassment, he apologised to Mingyu while he shifted his attention to the two, Mingyu just watching.

“What happened, both of you?”

“Seungcheol kept making fun of this zit I have on my forehead, which explains why I have my fringe down today and he kept teasing me how he’s going burst it and it’s going to leave a scar! He even said I’ll be so ugly, no one will ever want to marry me.”

“I swear, Seungcheol, you’re turning 21 soon. Can you can get any more childish,” said Wonwoo, biting his lower lip to try to stifle a laugh. “Anyway, can we please settle your dispute later, I’d like you guys to meet Mingyu.”

“Hello!” Both of them said in unison.

“The guy is Seungcheol and the girl is Kyulkyung. She’s not from town too. We’re really close friends!”

“I see, it’s really nice to meet you two, and you too, Wonwoo! By the way, this is really sudden, but do you guy want to have lunch with me? The cafeteria is going to be packed and I don’t think I can wait any longer,” asked Mingyu.

For someone who’s really tall and well built, seeing someone so shy made it difficult to say no for all of them. After making eye contact with each other, the three of them just agreed and decided to go to the Burger Shack.

 


 

Thanks for reading this, everyone! I'll be updating this sooner or later, so keep a look out for this alright? I promise the fic won't be too long! 

Do leave a comment or subscribe, okay? 

- wook.