003.

LOCKERBOURS.

Days and weeks passed and it’s become a ritual that Wonwoo and Mingyu go home together on Mondays and Fridays. To them, it’s a good start and end of the week. On Mondays, Mingyu would sit by the same bench, waiting for his senior to finish his classes. While waiting, he would finish his homework, read a book or just take a nap. On Fridays, he would join Kyulkyung and Seungcheol at Wheeler’s or wherever they head to before going home together with Wonwoo.

 

On the way home, they would talk about how their weekend or week went, new music releases from their favourite rappers or mainstream pop, or a slice about each other’s life. There are some similarities like, their preference for food. Both of them enjoy spicy food. Be it rice cakes, ramen or kimchi, anything spicy they’ll eat. Not everyone is a 100% match, right? Mingyu loves dogs, he even has two at home, but Wonwoo’s largest fear is being around dogs. He’s afraid that they’ll pounce onto him or chew on his legs.

 

It’s different on some days. It’ll be a quiet ride home, and that’s when Mingyu knows something is up, but he doesn’t ask. He just watches and accompanies the raven-haired student. He would watch the latter look out the window, look through his phone, look at him fall asleep with his head against the glass window. Occasionally they would meet eyes, and a small but sincere smile will be on both their faces. It has always bothered the younger, what went on during the week for him to turn out like that, but he just didn’t know how to ask.

 

Today was different, in a good way.

 

“Have a great weekend, y’all! I’ll see you guys on Monday!” Kyulkyung waved as she walked away.

 

The two boys stood there and waved back excitedly with huge smiles on their faces before turning around and going in their direction.

 

“Had fun today, kiddo?”

“How many times must I tell you that I’m not a kid!”

“I, I’m sorry. Just a little habit that I had.”

“How did it even come about.”

“It’s a really long story, I’ll save it for another bus ride home. Deal?”

“Deal.”

 

On the bus home, they talked about the little slice of steak they shared at Wheeler’s because they weren’t very hungry. Still bickering over how cooked it should be, it slowly got quieter and slower. Mingyu noticed the elder’s eyelids fluttering and yawning a few times.

 

The bus ride wasn’t long but it was a good thirty minutes. Giving into the elder, they both agreed on ordering a steak done medium if they ever had to share again. It was Mingyu’s little way of letting his senior rest, hoping that he’ll go to sleep, which he did.

 

While Mingyu was texting his classmates, the bus jerked and Wonwoo did as well. The former felt a little thud and weight on his shoulder. Looking over, it was Wonwoo’s head. A peaceful, small smile grew on his face as he took a nap. The taller looked over his shoulder, smiling to himself as he always hoped that Wonwoo would end up closing his eyes on his shoulder instead of the cold and hard window plane.

 

As if flooring the breaks, Wonwoo jolted up wide awake. He then looked at Mingyu and blinked twice before shaking his head and apologising for falling asleep on his shoulder.

 

“I, I’m really sorry, Mingyu.”

“Don’t be, it’s nothing, really. Was it comfortable?”

 

Feeling his cheek heat up, he quickly shook his head, but ending up letting out a laughter together with the younger. The bus ride home was different today, but it was special to the both of them because somehow it brought them a little closer.

 

All the laughter made them miss Wonwoo’s bus stop, which means he’s 3 bus stops away from home where they decided to alight at. Looking around, it felt like too surreal as if it was a dream. It was the peak of spring, the cherry blossom trees were in bloom, making it look as if it was trees topped with cotton candy, and the skies were pink as the sun was setting.

 

Instead of catching the bus, they agreed to walk home together to enjoy the fresh spring breeze. It was a rather quiet walk with sounds of random camera shutter sounds coming from both their phones. Snapping a really nice shot Mingyu’s back against a stretch of cherry blossom trees, Wonwoo smiled to himself.

 

“Watcha smiling at, buddy?”

“Look at this!” Wonwoo exclaimed, showing the latter his phone.

“Woah, send it over to me! I’m gonna post it on Instagram.”

“Aha sure thing.”

“By the way… I don’t mean to come off as a stalker, but I followed both Cheol hyung and Kyul on Instagram, but I just can’t find your’s.”

“Woah, when did you get so comfortable with them that you’re only calling them by a syllable. And I don’t use Instagram.. Not the largest fan of it.”

“Oh damn, I wanted to tag you in the photo to show all my friends what an amazing photographer you are!”
“It was just luck, Gyu. Psht.”

“Whatever you say, Mr. Photographer!”

 

With that, they strolled to Wonwoo’s house, bidding farewell to each other with a little hug and a wave. When Wonwoo was about to place his key into the keyhole, Mingyu came running back to him to pass him a little yellow note, folded nicely into a leaf.

 

“Why don’t you just leave it in my locker like you always do?

“Well, I figured it’d be nice I could pass this one to you in person. I’ll see you now!”

 

And he just ran off after that, with his cheeks turning rosy.

 

Kicking off his shoes, he greeted his parents who were sitting on the couch eating some fruits. Plonking himself onto the couch, he picked up a fork and a slice apple.

 

“You’re a little late today, sweetie. Have you eaten?” Asked his mother.

“I’m okay, mum. I overslept by a stop on the bus and I walked home.”

“I see, have more fruits then!”

 

Nothing beats ending a long school week than to sit down with the people he loves most, enjoying fruits while watching television together. The Jeon household talked about their week at work and in school.

 

“There’s a new guy in school and his name is Mingyu! We’re really close now.”

“Really? You’ve never brought him up,” replied his dad.

“Yeah, I think he’s only been here for a month. He transferred over from Busan, he’s from Anyang actually.”

“Does he transfer schools a lot?”

“Hmm, I think so because his parents travel for business a lot, but he also told me that they’re looking at settling down in Seoul for good!”

“That’s nice to hear, sweetie. We’re glad you’re having fun in school,” commented Mrs Jeon with a warm smile on her smile. “Bring him home together with Kyulkyung and Seungcheol! We haven’t seen them in a while.”

 

As it was getting late, Wonwoo agreed to it and went up to his room to take a shower. He still hasn’t read the note yet as he didn’t want his parents to think that he was dating someone. Leaving it on his table with his phone, went to take a shower.

 

Stepping out of the shower, his phone buzzed and he smiled himself to see Mingyu’s name on his screen, next to the note.

 

KMG: hyung ah, have you read the note?

JWW: i’m about to, what’s up?

KMG: nothing! Just let me know after you’re done with it. Heh.

 

The elder squinted at the text before unfolding the note, to read it.

 

Dearest Sleepy Lockerbour,

I’m writing this as you’re sleeping soundly on my shoulder, and I’ll let you in on one thing. You drooled a little on my shoulder, but that’s fine because you wiped it off with your cheek.

You smiled a little in your sleep, were you having a good dream? I just wanted to let you know that the past month has been an amazing ride with all of you guys, especially you, hyung. I really appreciate your company.

However, we both know that there are days that you don’t talk on the way home, and I just look at you as you look out of the window. It’s been bugging me because I want to know what’s going on so that I can help you feel better!

I don’t like seeing my lockerbour sad :(

Always remember that I’ll be there for you on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, everyday! I’m only 10 digits away, okay?

KMG.

 

The elder smiled to himself as he read the note, he then pulled out this little box under his table. In this box was where he kept all the notes by Mingyu, even those that were as simple as “have you eaten?” or “shall we go home together today?”.

 

Keeping the note in the box, he then laid on his bed, opening his Kakao Messenger to reply his lockerbour.

 

JWW: Hey, I read the note, and I’ve got to say, I’m really thankful to have met you.

KMG: Phew, I thought you read it and though I was creepy…

JWW: Creepy? No way! If you were a creep, I would’ve stayed away from you after Wheeler’s.

KMG: Aha, I see. Remember, okay? You can talk to me about aaaanything under this sky, okay?

JWW: Thank you, Gyu. I’ll remember that. Oh, is the photo you posted getting lots of traction?

KMG: Why not you sign up for an account and look at it yourself?

JWW: But…

KMG: Do it!

 

Wonwoo sighed out loud falling back onto his bed, sprawling his limbs across it. The only reason why Wonwoo doesn’t have any social media accounts is because he deactivated them a year ago and only Seungcheol knows why.

 

Rolling back onto his tummy, propping himself up with his elbows and his phone in his hands, he decided to download Instagram and sign up all over again. It did bring back some memories, but he just brushed it off.

 

"Wonnergrante has followed you on Instagram!”

 

Mingyu blinked at his phone screen for a good 10 seconds trying to figure out who it was as the profile was blank. The icon was blank, nothing but a white circle. What gave it away was who he followed. Only following Kyulkyung, Seungcheol, Mingyu and “OnlyWonINeed”. The former laughed a little at his account before tapping the follow button.

 

In that instant, the group chat between 4 of them started buzzing over the fact that Wonwoo is back on social media. Kyulkyung and Seungcheol were going at the different reasons - Maybe Wonwoo has the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO), Is Wonwoo stalking someone? Many different reasons under the sun, you name it, they probably said it too.

 

CSC: Woah!! Our Wonnie has an Instagram account!

JKK: Omo, really?

CSC: Yeah, just check your followers!

JKK: Oh my god, it really is him!! You’re no longer living under a rock or in a cave, oppa! I’ll only call you oppa this once because it’s a good occasion. Stay jealous, Cheol.

CSC: Whatever, man.

 

When Wonwoo saw the message notifications, he was quite nervous because he didn’t know how to explain his rationale.

 

How do you explain that someone you met for a month convinced you of doing something everyone else has been trying to for a year?

 

Slowly thinking it through, he opened the chat and typed, “i thought it’d be a good change, and i guess a small following wouldn’t hurt.”

 

The two friends were very supportive of the former’s actions, especially Seungcheol. However, he was rather worried for his friend too. He needed to sit Wonwoo down and talk to him. In private.

 

That night, Wonwoo and Mingyu texted again and again, till they fell asleep.

 

KMG: hyung ah, it’s getting late.

JWW: right, it’s nearly 2. You should go to bed!

KMG: We* should go to bed.

JWW: right again… thanks for keeping me company, gyu. It’s really nice having you around.

KMG: feelings are mutual, hyung. Goodnight!

JWW: goodnight, gyu. I’ll talk to you when the sun is shining!

 

Wonwoo woke up slightly before noon. He rarely gets the privilege to do so, even on a Saturday morning because his parents would wake him up for breakfast. Taking his time to wash up, he walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. A note stuck to the fridge caught his eyes then he sighed. Squinting into it, he reads it mentally,

 

Son,

We’ll be out the whole day because Dad won a day trip for two to Busan! Left some money on the counter, so buy yourself something nice today, okay?

We’ll see you tonight!

Love,

Mum & Dad.

 

Sighing again after reading the note, he thought that it’s going to be a boring day, just by himself. But then it struck him that there was a little carnival going on and maybe the four of them could get together for a day.

 

Wonwoo quickly ran up to his room and unplugged his phone from the charger and started texting his friends.

 

JWW: Friends! Let’s go to the carnival! There’s going to be cotton candy, rides, games and things to see!

CSC: World, I present to you Exhibit A, Jeon Wonwoo who just discovered Instagram a day ago and is now connected to the world.

JWW: No cheol. I didn’t get to know about the fair from Instagram…

JKK: Sorry to be a wet blanket but I can’t show because I promised my girl friends to go with them!

JWW: That’s alright, Kyungie. Maybe I’ll catch you there!

JKK: Sure, have fun!

KMG: I.. I can’t make it too, I’m swarmed with homework.

CSC: C’mon, Mingyu, one day won’t kill!

KMG: I can’t, I have a test on Monday too. Gotta finish all of these and study for the test.

JWW: Bummer. :( All the best then.

CSC: So it’s just us, Won? 1:30PM at the fair?

JWW: Yeap!

 

Lazing around before he got dressed, the raven-haired student pulled on a simple dark blue jumper and a pair of denim jeans, completing his outfit with a khaki green bomber jacket with white sneakers. The elder wore something similar, but he wore black jeans and sneakers instead. Both of them got matching bomber jackets as a little sign of friendship and wore it whenever the two of them were out together.

 

The carnival was to celebrate the arrival of spring - a time for new beginnings. The pair met up at the entrance of it before the entered together. The decor of everything was pink, flowery - cherry blossoms specifically, white and it was very happy. They played acoustic music to set the ambience. Everywhere they looked, they saw children with all smiles while their parents fed them ice cream, cakes and portions of street food.

 

Seungcheol tugged on Wonwoo’s wrist over to the cotton candy store as it was the former’s favourite carnival food. Any carnival, Seungcheol would definitely have at least have two sticks. He’s just so easily amazed by the colour of the treat and it brings back many good memories for him as a kid.

 

Wonwoo prefers the saltier treats like rice cakes. After his friend got his sweet treats, he walked over to the spicy ricecake store to get himself a cup full of it, sprinkled with cherry blossom petals. They couldn’t actually taste anything cherry blossom, or smell it. It was there just for novelty purposes.

 

The pair then walked over to one of the red benches situated under a cherry blossom tree before catching up with each other.

 

“Ah, such a nice day. A pity Kyulkyung can’t join us, it’s been awhile since the 3 of us hung out, huh,” Seungcheol started.

“Feelings are mutual, Cheol. Ever since Mingyu came along, it’s been the 4 of us. I’m not complaining, but I miss the 3 of us.”

“You miss the 3 of us? But you’re the one that spends the most time with Mingyu!”

“... Come to think of it, I have been…”

“Which reminds me, I’ve got to talk to you about something, Won.”

“What’s up?”

“Mingyu.”