2. Miss Chichoo

It's not about you, it's about me
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Jennie wait, for goodness sake !”

“Go back to class and leave me alone.” I said rushing down the hallway towards the exit. I’m really not in the mood to even see her after what she said earlier.

“Jennie, stop !!” She caught me by my wrist and stopped me, her grip being so tight that it feels like she’s almost crushing my bones.

“What ?!”

“Let’s talk about your behavior.”

“What about it ?!”

“Please, stop shouting and let’s go to my office.” I gave up, letting her do whatever she wants with me. She dragged me to her office and closed the door behind us, before bringing me to the small couch she has in here.

It’s my first time being this close to her and it makes me feel uncomfortable for some reasons. She crossed her legs and leaned into the backrest of the couch looking at me. I couldn’t face her so I just looked down at my lap, folding and playing around with the lower edge of my uniform skirt. I heard her sigh; I think she getting bored and mad because I don’t say anything but I just can’t bring myself to talk.

“Speak.” Her voice sounds so cold it feels like it’s stabbing me. She’s mad for sure.

“I… I… Um…”

“You want to know the real reason why I have to leave ?” I stopped playing with my skirt and brought head up to look at her, surprised by her question. I nodded my head, making her smile a little bit before speaking up again.

“I fell in love a long time ago with someone I can’t have a relationship with. Accepting the job offer from France will make things better for both me and that person. Maybe this way, with the distance between us, we will forget about each other and move on.” She glued her eyes on me for a couple of seconds before standing up. “Do you want some tea ?” She asked as she walked to the small coffee stand she has in the office.

“Isn’t love one of the most powerful things a person can feel ? Why can’t you be with this person ?” I felt a sharp pain in my chest as I ask these questions. I always thought that I’ll be able to confess to her after I graduate but I guess I can’t do that anymore; she’s in love with someone else and she’ll leave soon.

“Love is in fact powerful, but for me guilt is the most powerful one.” She sat down beside me and placed a cup of some fruity tea in front of me. I took a sip and smiled a little bit to myself.

“How did you know I like peaches ?” I asked, taking another sip from the hot and sweet beverage.

“Peaches suit you.” She smiled and caressed the top of my head. “Drink up and get ready for your next class.”

“Will you tell why are you feeling guilty ?” She just took her phone and also my phone that I had placed in my lap, without saying anything.

“Here. Give a text message tonight and I’ll pick you up to have dinner together and I’ll tell yo---“

“Jisoo-yah, is Jennie here with you ?” The door suddenly opened, taking both of us by surprise. Miss Kim quickly placed my phone on the couch before standing up and facing the person that just entered.

“Yah, Lee Chaerin. How many times did I tell you to knock on the door before entering my office, huh ? What if I would just burst into your office every single time I want something from you ?”

“Fine. I’m sorry. I have to talk to Jennie, can I ?” Miss Lee, our English teacher asked.

“I don’t know, can you ?”   

“I’m going to kill you later, Jisoo-yah. Jennie, follow me.”  I did as Miss Lee said and followed her, not forgetting my bag and my phone. I stopped in the doorway to take a last glance at Miss Kim, before going outside in the hallway. The students running around and the teachers talking are telling me that it’s already break time but I never heard the bell to ring. Hmm... weird.

“What do you want to talk about, Miss Lee ?”

“Oh, yes. I almost forgot…” She stopped walking and turned around only to put her hand on my shoulder. “Don’t get used to any of that. Listen to me, I know what I’m talking about.”

“What is that suppose to mean ? Miss Lee, where are you goi

Please log in to read the full chapter