PART 2

INTERVIEW OF MARAKESHSPARROW....


PART 2 ALL ABOUT WRITING FAN FICTIONS.........

TINA: How and when did you decide to be a fanfic author?
JESSA: I've been a fanfic writer for years. But when was I inspired to start writing DBSK, and specifically YunJae fanfic? I remember the day and time well! It's kind of weird. I had just dropped my mom off at LaGuardia airport in Brooklyn. She'd been visiting me for the holidays. At this time I had just started stumbling into the world of YunJae fanfic and I LOVED IT. I remember driving home on December 31st 2014 and having the idea for Because Tomorrow Comes. It took hold like a vice and would let me go.

TINA: What made you to sit down and actually write something?
JESSA: I wanted to fulfill my own YunJae fantasy. I wanted to try to create a story that felt real, following an accurate timeline and real events in their lives. It was a lot hard than I originally expected!

TINA: What is the first fanfic you completed?
JESSA: Hmmm... the first I completed? I had started a few and left them unfinished when I was younger (Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Fruits Basket fandoms). I guess the first one I saw all the way through was a Brokeback Mountain fanfic called Lead Me To Your Door. A weird fandom, I know. Hahaha. But I'm pretty damn proud of the fic. It's the first time I'd ever written or "slash" as we liked to call it. It was really popular! I published it back in 2006 (how has it been so long?) Parts of it are a little cluncky--and it's SUPER TY--but I think overall it holds up.

TINA: How did you get your idea for your first fanfic?
JESSA: I've found that many things I write, I write because I want to read them. I came up with a weird meta AU storyline for Lead Me To Your Doorand I knew if I didn't write it, no one else would. And I really wanted to read it! Hahaha! It's always for my own amusement. It was the same with "Because Tomorrow Comes".

TINA: Have you had any prior experience of writing before your first fanfic?
JESSA: I've been writing as long as I can remember. I write a lot of original fiction as well so I'd had quite a bit of experience writing before my first fanfic.

TINA: Have you ever plagued by doubts on your storyline?
JESSA: Sometimes I get a little stuck, feeling like I wrote myself into a corner. But I always find some answer and some way to fix things. I'm general I feel pretty confident about my storylines.

TINA: How did you promote your fanfic to readers?
JESSA: Hmmm... This is a tough question. The fanfic world has changed a bit since I was first posting back in 2006. I basically just try to post my fic in as many relevant places. I did research on DBSK and YunJae fanfic forums and cross-posted on several different livejournals and then also posted on AsianFanFic.com. I more or less just let the story speak for itself and built up a small following! I think if a story is good it will always attract readers. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool in fanfic.

TINA: Have you ever been anxious about how the readers receive your story?
JESSA: Yes. Especially with Because Tomorrow Comes. In the later chapters I was always worried what readers would think of Yunho. There was quite an intense reaction to his behavior with Jaejoong and it was enough to make me take a step back and edit the last few chapters just slightly. I tried to create a bit more Yunho sympathy. But even with my tweaks and additions, some readers still weren't happy. I've learned you can never please everyone, so it's best to just worry about pleasing yourself. If you enjoy it, chances are others will too!

TINA: Thoughts on how you felt when you see the first comment on the first story? Do remember who is the first commenter?
JESSA: Alas! I don't remember who made the first commet! So sorry! I always get excited to see comments--it's thrilling knowing that someone else is reading your story! I love each and every comment I receive and always do my best to respond to everyone and start conversations. I love chatting with fellow DBSK and YunJae fans!

TINA: How do you prepare yourself before writing a fanfic?
JESSA: Lots and lots of research. I did SO MUCH RESEARCH for this fanfic. I had to know their stories and their timelines in and out. I took some creative liberties, but for the most part it is completely factual. I also had to watch countless DBSK videos, interviews, performances, and behind the scenes footage. That part wasn't so hard, since I'd already seen so many (that was my favorite past time as it was), but I had to step up the seriousness of my viewing a bit. Taking notes, tracking when certain videos were filmed, shopping for even the littlest YunJae hint--pretty much the typical YunJae fan behavior. Haha. The whole point of this is to be able to embody the characters, to know them in and out, know their behavior and speech patterns so that it's possible to recreate a realistic feeling representation.

TINA: Do you work out plot line or do you prefer to see where your ideas or inspiration take you?
JESSA: I usually always have a loose plot of the whole story. I typically plot several chapters in advance so I know how to shape the current chapter I'm writing. Things change as I go along like this--the characters take on a life of their own and make decisions and say things I hadn't always planned for. That's half the fun of writing! But for the most part, things stick to my loose overall outline.

TINA: When and how does your inspiration or muse come to you?
JESSA: When I am deep into writing a story I am constantly inspired. I want to write all the time! My everyday activities just get in the way and I end up writing constantly between whatever I'm doing. I carry a journal with me and write on the subway, at work on breaks--basically wherever I can.

TINA: How much research do you do for your story?
JESSA: A TON of research. I'm obsessed with accuracy in my stories.

TINA: What is the easiest part of writing?
JESSA: Writing the juicy parts! As in parts with high drama not necessarily just the ty bits. When your plot comes to a and your characters are about to face off in some way--those are the moments I write for. It makes all the hard work worth it.

TINA: What is the hardest part of writing a story?
JESSA: I think the research and making sure the pacing and exposition is how it should be. Since I love the jicy parts, I have a tendency to want to skip to those moments. But I have to remind myself that a slow build makes it so much more exciting and worthwhile.

TINA: The writer’s worst nightmare the dreaded writer’s block.When is the worst writer’s block you ever had? How did you overcome it?
JESSA: Oh man. I've been in the midst of a pretty intense writer's block right now. It's usually easy for me to find inspiration so a writer's block typically happens when my schedule doesn't allow me much time to write and I get thrown off my routine. The trick for me is finding bits of time to write and just pushing through. Writer's block fades quickly enough if I can just find a way to get back into the swing of things.

TINA: Any useful tips on how to overcome the writer’s block?
JESSA: Try to create a writing schedule so you get a little bit done everyday. And make sure you are passionate about what your writing. You should always have inspiration if that's the case.

TINA: Have you written any collaboration with other author’s? If yes name of the fanfic.
JESSA: Not yet!

TINA: How do you describe your writing style? Do you think you have your own personal writing style?
JESSA: I've always waxed a bit poetic in my writing. I love prose and I love language! So I try to make the words I use as captivating and heart-wrenching as the plots I devise. I want the writing to really express a given character's feelings. Since I come from a filmmaking background I've also been told that my stories are very visual and paced kind of like a movie or drama. Haha.

TINA: How do you think you have evolved creatively throughout the years? Do you notice any change in the way you write?
JESSA: I think I've gotten a lot better at writing over the years because I'm constantly practicing. It's an ongoing process, but I feel like I've more or less cracked the code on how to write a compelling story. My own personal experiences have added to the depth of my storytelling.

TINA: How important are readers and their comments?
JESSA: I love having people read my story and let me know how much they enjoyed it! That is the best possible icing on the cake. But I write for myself and my own enjoyment. That always comes first.

TINA: I have been a silent reader for few months before taking the steps to comment..
Any words for silent readers?
JESSA: if you aren't moved to comment, don't feel pressured to! However writers absolutely adore knowing that people are enjoying their work. So if you feel inspired to leave even the simplest, one line comment please do!

TINA: Do you read other yunjae fanfics? If yes name of the fanfic you loved?
JESSA: There are a few others I've read though now some of them are escaping me. However I cannot forget the painful epic, Gashyeon. That was a pretty amazing story though very stepped in AU and some OOC tendencies. But it's an amazing piece of art in its own way.

TINA: Are you friends with any other author’s?
JESSA: I'm not! But not because I don't want to be! I jut haven't had the pleasure of connecting with any other authors.

TINA: How do you make your stories standout when there are heaps of other stories with similar plot lines?
JESSA: No matter what you write there will be something out there that's already similar. Especially in a fandom like this. I think the writing has to speak for itself and then there's nothing to worry about. Every story has its own individua flare and angle, so there is always room for different interpretations.

TINA: Has anyone stole your story and published under their name?
JESSA: God, I hope not! Not that I've discovered anyway...

TINA: Thoughts on others stealing your work?
JESSA: No way.

TINA: How do you manage your time between your daily activities and updating stories?
JESSA: Ha ha... /scratches head/ I've been having a bit of trouble with this lately. Mianhae!!

TINA: Do you have any favorite time of the day to write stories?
JESSA: Nighttime. That's when my imagination really comes alive.

TINA: Your favorite genre to write?
JESSA: Well it came as a bit of a surprise since I grew up reading horror novels, but I'm particularly good at romance. What can I say, I find it enjoyable. So why knock what you're good at?


ALL ABOUT STORIES....

TINA:"BECAUSE TOMORROW COMES"..the ideas and the inspiration behing this fanfic is already answered by the author in the previous questions..

TINA: Still writing or you stopped now? (If still writing answer next question)
JESSA: Still writing! Though I slowed down a bit the last few months. Again, mianhae! /bows head/

TINA: Future yunjae projects?
JESSA: Nothing planned for the future since I'm currently in the midst of writing the sequel to Because Tomorrow Comes.


All ABOUT ......

TINA:Tells us why are we so interested to read taboo topics when it comes to yunjae?Ex: ,cheating,home wrecker etc.
JESSA: Well I'd say my YunJae is fairly tame compared to some other fics. For me I always want the to come from a very sensual, loving place. The situation of the plot may create that isn't always super romantic, but it always comes from a place of passion, desire, and love.

TINA: How difficult or easy is writing ?
JESSA: Pretty easy! I discovered I had a knack for it in my previous fanfic Lead Me To Your Door.

TINA: Do you blush or get embarrassed while writing ?
JESSA: No embarrassment. More like enjoyment. ^_~

TINA: How do you write the scene? What is the inspiration?
JESSA: Well when I first started writing m/m scenes I had to do a bit of research. That's right! I watched a bit of gay . All for the sake of education, I assure you. I typically combine this with bits from my own experiences to write something that feels real and titilating.

TINA: Has any family member or friends have ever walked on you while writing a scene?
JESSA: Eh, if they did it was never a big deal. Even my mom has read my fic and all the . LOL

TINA: Thoughts after writing your first ever scene?
JESSA: Hmmm I think the first scene I wrote was a little more difficult. I remember thinking, "will people like this? Is it what they want? Is it y enough." But then I learned it never really works to pander to your audience. Write what you enjoy! Even when it comes to the .

TINA: What is the secret of writing a scene that turns on your readers?
JESSA: Again, I think the trick is writing what you enjoy. If it turns you on, it will most likely turn on the readers as well.

TINA: It is so heart breaking when u see your favorite authors deleting their journals or accounts,taking away the chance to reread some of your favorite stories..and having those wonderful stories lost..Have you anytime in future have plans on deleting your journal?
JESSA: No way! I hope to leave my fics up so people can enjoy them for a long time!

TINA: Any words for the readers?
JESSA: Thank you so much for coming on this journey with me. I'm so happy you enjoyed reading Because Tomorrow Comes and shared your thoughts, critiques, and emotions with me!


End of part 2.