7. 「Torn」

Mark My Words

 

Warnings: Angst, suicide and implied major character death.

Mark woke up to his phone’s incessant buzzing, he pressed his palm to his throbbing head and with his other hand, he blindly picked up his phone on his right. He opened his puffy eyes and read what's on the screen:


40 messages 
7  missed calls

His fingers stayed frozen on a particular name in his phone and then his phone started buzzing again with an upcoming call from Renjun again. Mark stared at his phone, unmoving until the screen turned dark again.

Somehow, despite all the sorrow and sadness churning in all his being, Mark feels a faint tinge of remorse. He really doesn't feel like he can talk right now. Instead, he reassured his friends by similar texting them a small ‘I’m okay’.

He knows nobody would buy it… and it's not like it's the truth either like who would be okay after learning that their loved one died? And that they were there at that moment and couldn't do anything to save them? Not him.

A more grim look mares his delicate yet ravaged features and he groans a little as the lighting of his phone blinding him. Mark blinked a few times before being able to read:

40 messages
8 missed calls

He sighed and completely turned off his phone before carelessly throwing it aiming for his small, bruni nightstand. Mark doesn’t react to the crashing sound ringing in his ears when the phone fell on the floor rather than the nightstand. Instead, he stared ahead blankly, staring at nothing else but darkness.

His eyes fell closed for only a second that a flashback of the scene displays itself behind his closed eyelids, It's always there. Vividly reminding him that it happened and he was there but could do nothing. Nothing as death was taking his life with him. Nothing.

If Mark wasn't a coward he would have also killed himself right there, but he didn't, he couldn't move at all. Until the police came and tried to take him away of there.

They had to inject him tranquilizer because Mark fought, fought, fought. He fought like a lioness protecting her cubs. Not letting anyone touch Taeyong’s cold and static body. A heart ripping scene.


More sobs wracked through him as he remembered Taeyong’s last words to him.
“I'll always love you, don't forget me.”

The fact that he knew he was dying and didn't fight it only waited. It enraged Mark but he could only blame himself for accommodating his lover’s last request.

“Stay with me until the end.” It was. Mark did. Even until the end came, he stayed, even when the cops came he stayed. His demise.

He buried his exhausted body under his sheets, hoping for sleep to come and take him away. He wishes he’d wake up in a world where Lee Taeyong never existed, to begin with. But then, again, Mark wouldn't be able to live in a world without him so he’d rather not wake up at all... Is that what death is? Breaks you apart and destroys the person that loved you the most. All the people who ever said something along the lines that Death will never bring us apart lied. All lies. Liars, liars, liars.

When Mark clenches his eyes shut, various pictures of Taeyong smiling at him surfaces before his close eyelids. No movements or sounds apart from ragged breathing can be heard from Mark for more than ten minutes.

After much thinking, Mark slowly stood up and heaved in a heavy breath. He won’t waver to his decision. It’s the only other option. Living miserably or not living at all? A world without Lee Taeyong is not worth living. Hopefully, he’ll meet him again in heaven or hell it doesn’t matter. Mark managed a broken chuckle at the latter thought. He just wantedㅡ neededㅡ no. He had to be with him again.

After finding a piece of paper and a pen he wrote a letter to his parents and friends. Everyone. And had to make pauses when his writing became messy due to his shakiness. When he’s done, he placed the letter neatly on his nightstand dismissing the fact that his room is a mess. He chanced another look at the letter and prayed for everyone to be alright without him.

Mark made his way to the bathroom and almost stumbled on his lanky feet. Now, facing the mirror, he reached for a bottle of sleeping pills. He just wanted peace, an endless peace… Mark clenched his frail hands, his shirt near his heart and muttered, “This is it.” before engulfing all the pills in one go. With shuddering breaths and quickly dropping eyes, Mark walked until his front was facing his bed. He sank on the mattress and closed his eyes, remembering everything his mind still can grasp that happened in his life. And right when Mark feels like he’s drifting away he sees something translucent. Mark squinted his eyes and was able to make out what or more like who it was.Taeyong, his Taeyong. His angel is now laying beside him, smiling tenderly at him. A tearful yet relieved smile broke on his face before he lets himself fall into sleep. A never ending sleep.

 

 

A/N: I am very excited because I am working on my very first chaptered story with Mark and Taeyong and it isn't Lucifer's Omega... It's totally different one. It's all because of Markyong's fault they are too many moments nowadays and my brain keeps on hitting me with Markyong plots so yeah. This is gonna be a long ride and a hopefully good one at that.