Date Night

Always

[Momo's POV]

“Wow,” I didn’t mean to say anything, but the word just slips out.

Mina tilts her head at my outburst and smiles. Her red lips part and her perfect teeth shine. Her makeup's different today, all dark smokey eye and an even deeper red than usual. On top of that her hair's tied up in a tight ponytail and she's wearing the most beautiful simple black skater dress. In her hand is a little black clutch that matches her black heels.

I rub my neck thinking about the way I was dressed compared to her. I tried to dress my best, but seeing her makes me self conscious. I'm just wearing black high tops, dark blue skinny jeans, a white top, and my brown barbour ashby jacket over that. I mean it's better than what I usually wear, but nowhere near as nice as Mina.

“How do you do that?” I ask. I need to know.

Mina looks confused as I guide her towards the venue. “What?”

“Your makeup?”

“Oh. Usually I do it myself. I use the same makeup every day, that’s why it’s usually the same eyeliner and lipstick and such. But I had my friend come over to do it for me today.”

“Okay.” That makes sense. I hadn’t noticed that her makeup was the same every time, but now that I think back, she’s right. It’s still amazing that she's able to put makeup on herself though.

“I assume she did well?”

“Yeah. You look amazing in that dress too.” I like her whole outfit, except for one thing to be truthful. She could lose the heels, maybe wear those flats the actor wore on the show or something. I already knew she was tall, but now she towers over me. I mean I like it, but I kinda don’t at the same time.

 

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

 

Mina closes her eyes and sways to the music. I try to imitate her, but I just can't seem to flow as smoothly as she does. I want to reach out and hold her hand. Instead I just kept mine clasped in my lap.

In the end, the concert was okay. I didn’t like the music much, but spending time with Mina was nice. Being close to her was nice. Hearing her laughter and voice was nice. God, okay everything about Mina is nice.

“Are you hungry?” I ask as we walk out of the venue.

“I am. I have a place I used to go to often and it’s just around here. I used to go there with the one I love most.”

 

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

 

The smell of grilling meat fills the small restaurant as well as smoke. The sizzle of the meat rings in my ears and I can feel the heat radiate from the grill. I flip over the grilling pork belly and watch Mina down a shot of soju. She makes the most adorable face and hisses a bit as the alcohol burns it’s way down.

“Nice,” she hums. She picks up a piece of meat with her chopsticks, but sighs as she drops it onto her lap and to the floor. I guide the napkins toward her hand as she reaches for them to clean herself up.

I pour another glass of soju for Mina and take the cooked meat off of the grill.

“It’s funny what I remember and what I don’t. You know ‘The Thinker?’ The sculpture by Rodin? I remember that perfectly. The musculation of the body, the curve of his wrist, the furrow of his brow. I studied sculpture at school and I remember this. But I can’t remember things that I saw every day. Like flowers in our garden, where my beauty spot is, or even my dad’s face.”

I look at Mina as she speaks. I can see her face shifting and showing signs of sadness.

“The one I love most is my dad. We came here often. I should have watched him more carefully.” She smiles sadly.

We clinked our shot glasses together and down them. It has always fascinated me how soju could be so sweet, yet burn just enough.

“I know you work at the garage at night. But what about during the daytime?”

“I deliver water jugs around the city.” I rub my arm uncomfortably as I tell her this.

“What did you do when you were young?” Mina leans forward. “I bet you lived a restless life, always getting yourself in trouble.”

I sigh and look around the restaurant. I feel uncomfortable and nervous. I don’t know why the next thing I say comes out of my mouth, but it does.

“Mind your own business.” I said.

I wince as I see Mina recoil from my cold statement.

“I’ll take it as you just ignored me just now,” Mina tries to play it off cooly although I know I’ve hurt her. After a long moment, she speaks again. “Why can’t you be honest? You know how I feel about you, don’t you?” she asks with pain in her voice.

I down another shot and look at her. “I don’t know and I don’t care. But I do know what you ate this afternoon.” I had noticed the small stain on her dress earlier, but easily overlooked it. And now here I am using it to hurt her. I pour myself another shot and down that too.

Mina doesn’t face me and let’s out a huff of air. “Yes. I show people what I eat everyday… Excuse me.”

Mina snaps open her cane and stands from her seat. Without saying anything more she leaves. I place money onto the table and stand. I follow her a few steps behind to make sure she gets home safely. As I walk I continue to berate myself for hurting her, for putting up my walls, for not letting her in.

Mina makes it back home and she stops to turn and face me at her front door. “I’m sorry you had a hard time because of me,” she says and my heart sinks. If anyone were to apologize it should be me. “Sorry for bothering you. I guess this is goodbye.”

Mina turns aways from me and opens her door. I take in a deep breath and find my voice. “I’m twenty three.” She stops moving when she hears my voice. “I was a boxer and when I was younger… I was a really bad person. I-I try not to be now. But that’s who I am.” I sigh and look at the ground. “I couldn’t tell you because I feel ashamed. Not because I was ignoring you.”

I look up at her and see that Mina doesn’t look as mad, but I can’t tell if it’s empathy or pity that she’s showing now.

“Goodnight.” She turns without another word and goes into her house, closing the door behind her.

 

 

 

 

[The Next Day]

 

 

 

[Mina's POV]

“Thank you and have a good day.”

I hang up and pinch the bridge of my nose. I hadn’t gotten much sleep over the past few days. Probably due to how the date with Momo had ended. I could tell that she had her secrets, but I wasn’t prepared for her outburst that night. As much as I knew I wanted to see her again, I wasn’t sure if I could or should.

My cubicle was paged and I pick up the call. “Yes?”

“Mina, come to my office,” came Mingyu's unwelcome voice.

I grabbed my cane and make my way to his office slowly. Whatever it was I hoped it would be quick. I rap on his door and hear him tell me to come in. I ease the door open and sit down, making sure to leave the door as is.

I could hear him stand from his chair behind his desk and walk towards me. “A gift for you.”

“Why?” I ask.

“Why didn’t you tell me your birthday was last week?” He asks me as he takes my hand and places it on the gift. His hands linger on mine and he sits beside me, our sides touching.

“You really didn’t have to.” I flinch as his arm drapes over my shoulders.

“Let’s have dinner next week,” he says as he leans further into me.

I stand abruptly. “I need to get back to work.” I make sure to leave the gift on the couch.

I turn and as I leave my shoulder smashes into the side of the door. I don’t stop though and continue to rush out of his office.


A/N: Hey.. you guys.. Long time no see... Well I'm back from the dead! hah well I just wanted to say that I am very very sorry for this really late update, I never suspect this semester to be that busy due to all the exams and assignments, I had to deal with it was just very crazy and stress for me but tbh I've been depressed lately that's why I haven't been updating for so long, I was just very upset about myself not living my family high expectation for me, I mean I tried really hard to make my parent's proud but haha it's not enough so I just wanted to say I am so sorry but thank you guys waited patiently which I appreaciated so much, I will try update quicker! Since my summer break is coming up soon! and for those who noticed my other story "Not Enough Love" isn't there anymore, sigh I am very sorry about that as well.. apparently that story got deleted.. so I won't be re uploading it without no one trying to report that story, it's just too much for me, so I am very sorry.. I hope you guys understand if not the that's okay, I'm a bad author.. But! I will continue this story since you guys are interested in this story haha really thank you guys for sticking with me! I will seriously pick up the pace!

Anyways, Thank you guys for reading! Please give this story upvotes and comments and I see you guys in the next chapter laters!