Pandesal

Maid in Manila

 

Chanyeol woke up to the sound of motorbikes passing his family’s complex, vehicles honking and a few rowdy roosters. But it was nothing out of the ordinary. Pushing himself up, he quietly grabbed his cell phone and flipped it open so he could use the dim LED screen light to find his rimmed glasses without waking up his younger sister who was still sleeping beside him on their mat.

Once he put on his glasses, he slowly removed the blanket the blanket they shared and quietly moved the mosquito nets out of the way as he began to leave the small bedroom. Once he closed the door behind him, he was greeted by absolute darkness, except for a bit of morning light that was seeping through the frosted windows in the living area where his parents were still sleeping.

Turning on the only lamp in their little home which was located in the kitchen, Chanyeol shuffled himself over to a closet to take out the school uniform that hadn’t been worn as much as the other. Changing his attire in the kitchen was something of the usual. He got used to it pretty quickly after his family moved from Korea to the Philippines for better “job prospects”, according to their father. Chanyeol didn’t question it too much. Maybe he did when he was younger, but after being reprimanded for complaining too much, he learned to stay quiet about it.

Once he changed, he walked into his family’s tight bathroom to brush his teeth. As he was doing so, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and wasn’t entirely too surprised that he looked like a dead-beat mess. At most, he got about three hours of sleep every day if he was lucky. Between school and work, homework was took up a good chunk of his time.

After spitting out the tooth paste, Chanyeol began finishing up, splashing water on his face to wake up his tired body and wiping it down with a face towel before closing the door behind him and making his way to the front door. Slipping on his shoes, Chanyeol grabbed his backpack from where he had set it the night before near the door, grabbed his red lanyard off one of the hooks and quietly left his home, making sure not to awaken the rest of his sleeping family members in the living room.

-

-

Chanyeol made it to his university via a crowded jeepney, but he wasn't bothered by it at all. Despite it being so early in the morning, there were hundreds of other students just like him, taking up space on every type of transportation available to them.

It didn’t take long for him to spot his friend Marian who was too busy looking at her phone to notice that he was walking up to her. “Hi, good morning, miss Marian.”

Jolting from his voice, Marian jerked her head upwards and gave him a somewhat exaggerated expression. “Hoy! Magandang umaga to you, too! Sorry, I was busy texting someone.”

“Texting a boyfriend?” Chanyeol teased as he laughed, making his way to the school campus. “Lagi ka na lang nasa cellphone mo.”

Rolling her eyes, Marian snorted as she kept up with Chanyeol, which was challenging because he had such long legs compared to hers. “I’m not always on my phone,” she argued even as she glanced down at the device in her hand that buzzed with an alert for a new text message. “I’m texting my group members for this project for this one club.”

“And how’s that going?”

“I hate it. They’re so lazy,” she muttered. “I’m basically doing all of the work.”

Raising a brow, Chanyeol asked, “Why don’t you just let them work on it by themselves then? Stop doing everything by yourself.”

“Yeah, but it’s never going to get done if I don’t do most of the work.”

“You’re too nice,” Chanyeol commented. It seemed like a flaw, but all in all, it was true. Marian was probably the nicest person he knew and even though there were times in the past where she was mad or annoyed about someone, the worst that she ever did was quietly rant about it to him on text.

“Anyways,” Marian said, moving the subject along, “how’s work at the bakery?”

“It’s the same as it always is,” the giant said, shrugging. Reaching into his satchel, he pulled out a brown bag and offered it to her. “I took home some pandesal after work last night. I saved some for you because I know that’s your favorite.”

“Hoy, salamat!” Taking the bag from him, Marian opened opened it up and took one out. “Too bad I don’t Milo to dip this in, but eating it like this is fine, too.”

Watching her take a bite, Chanyeol smiled. “Is it good?”

She nodded. “I'm kind of sad that you’re looking for another job. You make the best bread.”

“I know, but the amount of money I get paid for my hours just doesn’t work for me anymore.”

“No, I get it,” Marian assured him. “I see it on your face, too. You have terrible bags. You know, underneath your eyes.”

Chuckling, Chanyeol nodded. “Yeah… Well, I have an interview this weekend at this one place. They need a maid and I figured I could try and apply. I mean, I know how to do housework, plus for the most part, the hours seemed flexible. Hopefully I get it.”

“I hope you do, too! They’d be lucky to have you. Like I said, this is really good. I’d eat this every day if I could, especially if it’s made by you.”

-

-

Baekhyun stared at his breakfast for five minutes, probably worrying his caretaker since he hadn’t moved in so long. In truth, he was just tired. He heard from his caretaker that most kids his age woke up around six or seven in the morning, which made him feel a little sympathetic since his day didn’t start until nine-thirty.

Finally getting the the energy to move, Baekhyun’s tired hand reached over to the basket as he yawned, grabbing the first thing he always ate before anything. Pandesal.

 


*Hoy = Hey
*Lagi ka na lang nasa cellphone mo = You're always on your cell phone
*Magandang umaga = Good morning
*Salamat = Thank you
*Pandesal = A type of bomb bread


author's note: I was writing this and I realized..., I can't include other exo members here. Then, I was left with a problem. WHO ARE CHANYEOL'S FRIENDS? Is he just going to be friendless? Thats sad. So, I used my beta's name (LOL), so in the fanfiction world, she's Chanyeol's best friend. I might just slip friends' names in here since this wont be a serious serious fic, but at the same time, I'm sorry lol I didn't plan for this to happen (i didn't plan at all)