Naive

Moonsun Novellas
Please log in to read the full chapter

Genre: Fanasty Words: 2,500+

Pink petals decorated the colonnade elegantly creating a peaceful atmosphere for the ever-present kingdom of Ulseo. The cherry blossoms bloomed beautifully this spring, being a wonderful highlight to this new year.

Among the trees, hung a traditional swing, called a kune, made up of two tweed ropes and a stepping board. Swaying upon the board was a radiant red hanbok with exquisitely crafted floral designs. A copper braid flowed behind the woman tied tightly with a gold ribbon.

 

Below, stood a weary girl shielding her eyes from the sun. Her dress was rather dull compared to the woman playing on the kune. Squinting, she called for woman's attention.

 

“Princess Yongsun, you must come down from there at once! If your father finds one scratch on you, we will both end up with our heads on a platter!”

 

“Lighten up, Joohyun!” Yongsun mocked from above.

 

The Royal Highness was a very naive woman. Her mind was never focused on wars, palace duties, and so forth –she would rather play outside then plague her thoughts with kingdom affairs.

 

The servant glanced around hoping nobody would witness Yongsun's childish behavior. After all, she had an image to uphold. She knew if they stayed outside any longer someone was bound to make an unwelcome acquaintance.

 

“Please, Princess...” Joohyun whined, exhausted from babysitting Yongsun.

 

Yongsun bit her lips in anticipation finally reaching her desired height on the swing. She was soaring so high she could see past the castle walls. Just by squinting she could see the villages and farms of the towns people. Oh, how she wished to lead a normal life like those she rules.

 

Back and forth the swing continued to glide into the air as she tried to get a better glance at the verdant land. Her eyes widened in concern, catching a glimpse of an army of soldiers entering the palaces barricade one by one.

 

She bent down until the swing slowed to a stop, she gripped the tweed tightly. Joohyun watched in curiosity wondering what was on the princesses mind.

 

“Joohyun, do we have visitors?”

 

“As a matter a fact, yes we do, Princess. The king of Cheonbu and his army are visiting to discourse kingdom... concordances.”

 

Yongsun's ears perked up as she listened to her servant. She slowly started to make her way down from the swing when the board started wobbling beneath her. The princess lost her footing, sending a shrilling scream throughout the whole kingdom.


She closed her eyes awaiting certain death –either by her fall or by her father if he sees any damage caused to her body.

 

Yet, the earth stood still. Yongsun, being as naive as she is, was one hundred percent sure she had died. She had a hunch death would be quick and painless. She was quick to wonder what heaven looked like; her eyes fluttered open, hoping and praying to be met with marvelous gods and angels.

 

Instead, she looked up into a pair of twinkling chestnuts eyes, gleaming down at her as if they had the answers to every question on the universe. Yongsun's face flushed in infatuation –God was a woman after all.

 

“Can you stand up?” The husky voice spoke. The princess was so fascinated by the woman's incredible beauty she couldn't muster a response. The woman above her flashed a sly crooked smile, and Yongsun knew she was in heaven.

 

A familiar voice broke through the rising tension, triggering them to snap their heads towards the sound.

 

“Joohyun? Is that you?” The princess asked breaking away from the mysterious strangers grasp. She lifted her chima. Launching her body at the small girl into a tight hug. The servant was taken aback, keeping her hands at a reasonable distance from the princess.

 

“Are you dead too? Did I land on you?”

 

“Are you delusional?” Joohyun asked, slapping her hand over as soon as the words left . The princess stepped back staring the girl dead in the eye. Joohyun flinched under Yongsun's intense glare, immediately apologizing for her actions with multiple bows.

 

Yongsun lifted her hand, silently ordering Joohyun to stop, “Are you saying... I'm still alive?”

 

“Yes?” Joohyun replied. “Uh, Your Royal Highness Princess Moon Byulyi, caught you fall.”

 

“Please, call me Byulyi, no need for honorifics.”

 

Yongsun looked over her shoulder at the ash-brown haired girl, who was blush ridden. Her eyes were focused on the floor and she was nervously scratching her neck. Yongsun looked away finding Joohyun's eyes. Noticing something off.

 

She slowly turned making her way towards the other princess –or would knight be more appropriate? Byulyi looked nothing of a princess, dressed in waist tight gold brigandine, accentuating her feature women usually hide under their enormous hanboks. Underneath the armor was a simple red and yellow hanbok with wide sleeves and wrinkles, and sleeveless black vest, only subtly showing royal pieces and decor sewn throughout the outfit.

 

If Yongsun didn't know any better she would've mistaken the princess for a highly regarded warrior.

 

The sound of Yongsun's shoes clacked against the pavement. When the sound disappeared, Byulyi finally got the courage to look up again. There, before her, was the princess with her head down in a deep bow position, hiding her hands etiquette inside of her dangui. The servant behind her doing the same.

“Thank you so much for catching me Royal Highness Moon Byulyi. I will forever be in your debt.”

 

Byulyi couldn't help but chuckle at the scene, “No need for the theatrics, Princess.”

 

Yongsun's eyebrow twitched in annoyance, drawing up from her bow. Very annoyed at the girl ridiculing her attempt at giving thanks.

 

“Think no more of the debt,” Byulyi grinned cheekily, clasping the shaft of the sword bound to her hip. “You are already bound to me for life, isn't that enough of a repayment.”


“Come again?” Yongsun asked in dismay.

 

Byulyi guffawed kicking loose rocks below her in irritation.

 

“Isn't that tremendous,” She spit sarcastically. “My whole life was single-mindlessly dedicated to you, and up until now, do you discover we were sworn together by our families.”

 

Yongsun felt her face flame up for a different reason. She may be naive, but she wasn't gullible. The inner child whom played among the swing moments ago was long gone, replaced by a bewildered Princess, fully convinced she was talking to a deranged stranger.

 

“Princess Yongsun,” Joohyun spoke up, politely placing her hand on princesses shoulder. “You are to wed Your Royal Highness Princess Moon Byulyi.”

 

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

 

“That is correct.” The king acknowledged undauntedly. “King of Cheonbu and I set up the marriage plans many years ago. I did not wish to discuss this with you until your eighteenth birthday, but many things have changed and it's better if you marry now.”

 

Yongsun couldn't believe her ears. Her father sat proudly on his throne watching his daughter crumble right before his eyes. Sobs echoeing across each wall.

 

“How could you father?” She shoved her face into her hands, crying.

 

“Your older sister and her husband expressed their thoughts on taking over my throne when I'm gone.”

 

“Father--”

Please log in to read the full chapter