The Two Of Us

If You Ever Want To Be In Love

It was no understatement when Jeongyeon told Sana that the party is probably the weirdest lamest she would ever attend in her entire life, and also the gayest.

However, the older girl forgot to mention that it might get wild, cause it surely did.

 

It started slow, bickering here and there between two or more of them.

 

“Jihyo unnie is too strict,” Tzuyu had started teasing, making the girl pout, then Chaeyoung poked fun of poor little princess Tzuyu only to be teased by Dahyun who started bragging about being an adult already.

 

“Let me reveal, guys, Momo is like the messiest and laziest person ever! it’s such a pain in the ,” Jeongyeon complained. “We already know that,” her girlfriend answered. “I know, I just wanted to expose her in front of Sana.” The girl didn’t even start laughing before Momo tackled her, pulling her in a headlock. Only god, or what the girls liked to call Jihyo, was able to stop the wrestling match going on between the two tipsy roommates.

 

Sana hadn’t laughed that hard since high school when Momo walked straight into a lamp street because she was too focused on her ice cream cone.

 

They were all, except the minors, in the grey area between tipsy and drunk when Nayeon pulled out the disco lights ball from Jeongyeon’s room. The latter plugged her phone in the speakers and started scrolling down her music library.

“Sana is such a party girl,” Momo, who was sprawled on the floor, shouted, “she used to drag me to night clubs all the time, and even when I didn’t go with her I had to drive her drunk home because who else would do the job if not me, huh?” Whatever Momo stated didn’t prepare her friends for a slightly drunk Sana dancing on the couch with a hairdryer blowing her hair all over the place. They almost passed out from laughing.

 

As the night went on the girls played drinking games, teaching the new Japanese girl whatever she didn’t know. It went from flip the bottle cap to 3-6-9 to baskin robbins 31. They finished their games streak with an almost hour long truth or dare.  

 

“So, Chaeng, truth or dare?” Tzuyu asked with a smirk on her face, and Chaeyoung swallowed hard realizing that she had fallen in the younger’s trap. “T-truth..” she stuttered. Choosing dare might highly mean she’ll be challenged to kiss Mina, and she wasn’t ready to do it in front of everyone, in front of Momo and Jihyo.

“Chaeng, don’t you have something to tell the girls?” Tzuyu asked, eyeing her and Mina.

Chaeyoung started blushing, her face getting a dark shade of red when the younger girl puckered her lips teasingly.

“If you’re talking about her and Mina’s little make out session on my couch, we already know.” Nayeon intruded, making drunk Jihyo scream in horror, “my youngest children!”

“Wait!” Momo groaned, “how do you know?”

“Chaeng sits next to me in class, has lunch with me, walks home with me..you think she’d keep it to herself that she finally kissed her, what she thought is hopeless, crush?”

 

“It’s okay baby don’t be shy.” Mina patted Chaeyoung’s head, snuggling closer to her.

 

“BABY!” Their friends screamed in unison, most of them melting from cuteness while Momo and Jihyo were acting like a pair of conservative parents.

“God, Momo, don’t act like Mary.” Jeongyeon teased.

 

It was past 1 in the morning when the party started to die. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were wasted on the armchair. Mina was sleeping on the couch, her head on Chaeng’s lap who lazily played with her hair. Jihyo was still hyper enough to go for another karaoke round. Dahyun, almost wasted, kept her promise and sneaked some alcohol to the youngest of them. Momo was not as drunk as the others, but she was still so far from being sober. Sana, was snuggled in her arms, drunk, and finally feeling home.

 

“Kids!” Tzuyu called waking up the sleeping from their slumber, the drunk from their intoxication, and Chaeyoung from day dreaming. “Time to go home.” Nayeon groaned, “Not you grandma, you just carry yourself and your girlfriend to her bed, and don’t forget, leave room for Jesus.”

 

It took them quite a while to leave, and Sana was the last guest left.

“Have you seen my phone? I should call a cab.” She asked the older girl. Sober Momo was slow, drunk Momo stopped working, so Jeongyeon stepped in, Nayeon in her arms, “stay the night, it’s late.”

 

“No, it’s fine, everyone went home anyway.” Sana politely rejected despite wanting to stay. She felt Momo’s hands on her waist and her head on her shoulder, as both Jeongyeon and her chuckled. “All of them live in this building. Just stay the night, Sana.”

 

2:03 AM Momo’s digital clock blinked. Momo smelled like alcohol, and so did Sana. The former was pressed against her back, her arm barely circling her waist. Momo’s bed sheets smelled like new laundry which made the younger girl wonder if Momo changed them earlier that day.

 

Her breath was warm against Sana’s exposed neck, uneven, and the latter worried that Momo might be feeling uncomfortable. She had tried to convince her that she could sleep on the couch, but Momo argued that it’s a bad idea because all of the hangover kids will flood their apartment once they wake up. And believe me, you don’t want to wake up to Jeongyeon and Nayeon having a hangover quickie in the kitchen.

 

“Momo..” her voice was soft, careful not to wake the older girl up if she had already drifted to sleep. But the girl hummed against Sana, sending shivers down her spine.

 

“You’re still up?”

 

“Yes..is everything okay? Do you feel like throwing up?” The brown-haired asked, drawing a chuckle from Sana. She remembered senior year parties when she would sneak some alcohol into her drinks then end up in the bathroom with her best friend holding her hair and gently patting her back, reassuring her that everything is gonna be fine when she wakes up.

She’d fall asleep on the bathroom floor of the house of one of their classmates, wake up in Momo’s bed, and find the latter sleeping on the couch.

 

“No, I’m fine.” She finally replied.

 

Momo had always taken care of her, making sure she’s safe, healthy, warm, fed..

 

“Hold me..” It came out in a whisper, a bit shy. Momo complied, wrapping the girl’s waist with her arm, pressing closer against her petite body.

Sana smelled familiar, she felt familiar. Sana felt like home. And Momo feared that the girl could sense her heart that beat hard against her chest, against the younger’s back.

 

“I missed you,” Sana confessed, laying her hand on Momo’s, drawing circles, stars, and all the shapes that might help her convey what words failed to express.

 

Sana smelled like alcohol and roses, and Momo thought that she could get used to that, to Sana engulfed in her embrace, to her fingertips painting the universe on the back of her hand, and maybe, just maybe , to her whispers telling her that she loves her at 3 in the morning.

 

“I love you.”

 

Momo let out a shaky breath, scolding her mind that was playing games on her, that was imagining Sana whispering-

 

“I love you..”

 

“Sana-yah,” Momo called, “did you say something or is my drunk mind hallucinating?”

Sana stopped tracing the tips of her fingers on Momo’s hand, she shifted in place, and turned to face her childhood best friend .

 

Momo could see the girl’s twinkling eyes even in the middle of the darkness.

 

“I said..I love you.”

 

Sana was her best friend, and Momo tried to calm down her heart, to tell her that she loved her back without sounding so deep in love . She breathed, trying to hypnotize herself into sounding casual, but inhaling Sana’s scent sent all of her senses into chaos.

 

“I love you too,” she breathed, closing her eyes out of fear that they’d expose what had been locked deep inside of her. She cursed how weak Sana made her, how much effort she had to put into preventing herself from closing the little distance between them and kiss her like it’s the last thing she could do.

 

Sana’s lips felt soft, a bit bitter from the beer, salty from the dried potato chips, sweet like her chapstick. Sana’s lips were soft, bittersweet, and warmly pressed against her lips.

 

Momo didn’t open her eyes, her eyelids heavy and Sana was more intoxicating than any alcohol that had ever drowned her blood.

 

Sana’s lips were pressed against hers and Momo was convinced that she had fallen asleep, drunk on Sana’s confessions.

 

Sana kissed her , and Momo was certain that she’s in heaven, so she kissed her back.

 

Sana kissed her again, biting down her bottom lip, bringing her back to her senses. Momo opened her eyes, Sana’s were boring into hers, her forehead pressed to her own, and she was smiling, that same smile she had fallen for in high school , that smile that Sana only smiled for her. And Momo realized that Minatozaki Sana had just kissed her , she kissed her and it was not a dream.

 

“I’m in love with you, Hirai Momo.”


This time around, it was Momo who kissed Sana.