Final

I love Her

It was a Monday morning, there first day of mid-terms exam.

Tiffany was on the school's cafeteria. She just finished her breakfast and proceed on studying her notes for her exam on her major subject. With her earphones plunged in her ears, notes in her hand, she was ready to study. In the middle of her review she took a glance on her wrist watch.

 

8:03

 

Less than 30 minutes and the library will finally be open. She doesn't need to sit here on the cafeteria anymore. She was about to go back on her notes when a girl approached her. Jet black hair, flawless milky white skin, beauty that was close to being called to a 'goddess-like' approached her. Their eyes met as the girl looked at her.

 

"Excuse me miss?" Tiffany removed the earphones on her right ear.

 

"Do you have any calculator?" Tiffany shook her head.

 

"Oh.. okay." After that quick question the girl immediately left the cafeteria. Tiffany found it odd. Who on earth will suddenly asked a stranger on the cafeteria if she or he have a calculator? And Tiffany was sure she's the only one who the girl had asked. Maybe she's trying to hit on me? Tiffany assumed. She shrugged that thought off. The face of the girl who approached her a while ago keep coming back to her mind. She was the type of person who easily forget faces cause usually she don't look at the person's eyes, but she was more surprised when she managed to look at the stranger's eyes a while ago. Maybe that's why the face of the girl was still in her mind. Maybe it was also the fact that the girl was really beautiful and you can easily remember that kind of face. Tiffany shut down all her thoughts as she tried to focus back on her review.

 

She was on the library still reviewing her notes, music blasting from her earphones to keep her alive. Suddenly someone stumbled behind her, to be exact on the chair she was seating. She immediately looked behind her and saw the girl who approached her a while ago who was blushing furiously. Their eyes met again and from a small smile that they shared, laughter erupted. It was kind of embarrassing for the girl since she caught too much attention when she stumbled, and Tiffany was amused on how the girl was the first to laugh at herself and shrugged the awkward and embarrassing atmosphere. The girl bowed then apologize to her before the girl left.

 

Tiffany took a final look to the girl before she reviewed her notes. Tiffany was waiting for her friend and reserved a seat for them. Library was packed due to exams. Moments later the girl who stumbled a while ago came back to her and spoke.

 

"Uhm.. excuse me?" Tiffany removed the earphones on her right ear and once again met the latter's eyes.

 

"Can I share a table with you? You see the library is really packed and I have nowhere to seat." Tiffany reserved a table for four, so she thought why not share a table with this drop dead gorgeous girl.

 

"Sure." It was silent for a while. Tiffany already removed her earphones and stopped listening to music.

 

"You know we already met twice today, and I guess it won't hurt to know your name." The girl said. Tiffany lifted her head from her notes as she looked at the girl in front of her. She casted a small smile at the girl.

 

"I'm Tiffany." The girl smiled, and Tiffany was sure it made the latter more beautiful.

 

"Nice to meet you Tiffany. I'm Taeyeon." Taeyeon extend her hand, Tiffany got the signal as she extended her hand too and they shared their first hand shake. Tiffany felt the latter squeezed her hand and held hers a little longer.

 

******

 

That was the first day they met. She wasn't sure if it was fate that made her saw Taeyeon again on the library, but she was thankful to whatever it was because she gained a best friend and a sister because of Taeyeon. They had been best friends for almost eight months, and it was the first time they'll celebrate Taeyeon's birthday together.

 

Tiffany wanted to make it special. It was a blessing in this guise to her when Taeyeon lost her phone, and asked her parents to just buy her a new phone, even without properly celebrating her birthday. Tiffany won't let her best friend to celebrate her birthday just like that. She wanted to make Taeyeon's 18th birthday memorable. She planned a surprise birthday party for the latter. It was her first time planning a party. It wasn't her nature. She's not the type of person to lead and plan something like this, so Tiffany was surprise too when she managed to lead and plan a birthday party with the help of their friends.

 

Taeyeon was already blind folded as Tiffany guide her. It was on Taeyeon's house. Her friends and family was already there waiting for the cue as Tiffany lead her to them.

 

"Yah! Hwang Miyoung I swear if this is a prank I'm going to shave your hair bald." Tiffany chuckled as she held the latter's hand firmly and guide her.

 

"You won't do that. You love me."

 

"Who told you huh?" If Taeyeon was looking at her Tiffany was sure the latter will roll her eyes. Taeyeon wasn't the type of a showy nor clingy friend. She's more calm and reserve. She rather showed Tiffany how much she cares through teasing and not in a sweet gentle way. Tiffany was used to it. That's how different they are. If she's the east, Taeyeon was the west, but their differences didn't become a barrier for them to be close. Too close, just like best friends.

 

Tiffany laughed. "This is a surprise darling." Taeyeon groaned.

 

"Stop using endearments." Tiffany rolled her eyes.

 

"Whatever." They finally stopped walking. Taeyeon's mother was holding the cake while her friends and other family members was ready to greet Taeyeon. Once the blindfold was removed, Taeyeon squint her eyes to look at her surroundings. There was a huge banner of 'Happy Birthday Taeyeon' hanging on the wall. Foods set on the dining table and cake in front of her that her mother was holding. Her eyes gleamed as she laughed when her family and friends shouted 'Happy Birthday!' to her. She thanked them feeling her heart wrapped by warmth. Tiffany watched her best friend's reaction, and it made her feel complete. To see Taeyeon happy, was her happiness.

 

"Tiffany planned all of this Tae Tae." Her mother told her once they're all settled and eating together. With a cheeky grin, she looked at Tiffany who was devouring the food. Tiffany stopped for a moment and looked at her, their eyes met.

 

"I didn't know you're a born leader." Taeyeon lips tugged into a smirk. Tiffany playfully pushed her, but deep inside she saw the amusement in Taeyeon's eyes. The warmth and gratitude that the latter was silently telling her. Tiffany never felt special not until Taeyeon made her feel how great it was.

 

*****

 

It was another gathering of Tiffany, Taeyeon and their friends. They agreed to eat at the newly opened restaurant near their university.

 

"Fany ah! Where's Taengoo?" Sunny asked as they settled on their seats. Usually in every gathering, both of them will come together, but tonight was different. Taeyeon said she's going to be late for a little, so she suggested that Tiffany shall go first.

 

"She said she'll going to be late." Tiffany answered. Taeyeon and Tiffany was inseparable. They're almost mistaken for being girlfriends, but Tiffany will always be the first to retaliate, and reasoned, 'Taeyeon and I are like sisters.'

 

"Hi guys." She looked to the owner of the voice. She met Taeyeon's nervous eyes.

 

"I'm sorry I'm late. I want you to meet Baekhyun, my boyfriend." Tiffany was shocked. Taeyeon never mentioned this to her nor her dates. Tiffany frowned and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

 

"Yah! How dare you Kim. Why didn't you tell me anything about this?" Taeyeon pouted and go to her best friend and coaxed the latter.

 

"Sorry. I just wanted to make sure that everything is good and stable about us before I tell you guys about it." Tiffany pouted.

 

"Psh. You still need to buy me an ice cream." Taeyeon grinned.

 

"Thank you." She happily said as she suddenly hugged Tiffany. Tiffany was surprised. She felt her heart beating wildly in her rib cage as nervousness creep into her heart. Taeyeon never really hugged her, specially initiating a hug.

 

"You need to know Baek more. He really makes me happy." Do you really need a guy, so that you can initiate the hug? Tiffany can't help not to feel bitter, specially those days when she wanted Taeyeon to hug her back or to initiate a hug.

 

******

 

It was the first worst fight they ever had. Misunderstanding that lead to painful words. Painful words that cut deep through their innocent heart, wounding it terribly. She was surprised when Taeyeon apologize to her first, since she knew how insensitive the latter can be sometimes. It didn’t help that Taeyeon was egoistic. That’s why she was surprised when Taeyeon approached her first. She was already in her bedroom, lying down on her comfy bed after they had reconcile. Usually Tiffany was more open, more clingy, and more cheesy in words to Taeyeon, but that night was different.

 

Do you really miss me? How much did you miss me?

 

I miss you. It felt like weeks of not talking to you.

 

You’re probably kidding me.

 

After they had reconcile, Taeyeon changed. She started to be clingy. She started to be sweet. She started to care. Tiffany was glad of all those changes. She was too glad and too happy, that her heart was overwhelmed with emotions, making her mind confuse on how to react with all the changes. She wasn’t sure how to react whenever Taeyeon will hug her, so she’ll avoid all those actions. She wasn’t sure how to react when Taeyeon held her hand, so she’ll withdrew first. But what drove her crazy was when Taeyeon will try to kiss her on the cheeks, and she was too overwhelmed and nervous that she’ll push Taeyeon away. 

 

*****

 

A groan escaped her lips as her phone kept ringing. She blindly looked for her phone as she answered the call.

 

"Hello..?" She didn't bother to look at the caller ID. No one answered on the other line. Tiffany frowned as she sat on her bed. She groaned as she looked at the caller ID.

 

Taeyeon

 

“Yah! For ’s sake Taeyeon it’s freaking 4 in the morning why are you calling?” She asked in annoyance. Instead of hearing Taeyeon’s answer, she heard sniffing on the other line.

 

“Yah! Are you crying?” Tiffany asked worriedly.

 

“F-Fany ah please let me in.” Taeyeon’s voice came weak, but Tiffany heard it. She rushed to their front door and opened the door for her best friend. Taeyeon stood in front of her. Crying and emotionally broken. Tiffany felt a sudden pain hit her chest hard. She wasn’t used to seeing her best friend like this. So fragile and so broken. She stepped closer and wrapped her arms firmly, yet gently to Taeyeon. The latter sobbed, and Tiffany never felt her heart ache like this before. She stopped the urged to cry with her best friend.

 

“Tae what happened? Why are you crying?” Taeyeon withdrew from the hug to look at Tiffany.

 

“I.. I ing saw him kissing another woman.” Taeyeon’s voice was hoarse. Tiffany frowned deep.

 

“That bastard!” She growled.

 

“You deserve better. It’s his ing lost. You hear me?” Taeyeon bit her lip and nod feebly.

 

“Kim Taeyeon.” Tiffany held her shoulder firmly making enough distance for them. Tiffany looked at her straight in the eyes. “You’re beautiful inside and out, and he’s the biggest idiot that I know for choosing someone over you. Be strong, you’ll get over him. I’ll always be here by your side. I won’t let you go alone through this. You understand?” Taeyeon nodded vigorously as she felt tears started to fall again from her eyes. Tiffany frowned.

 

“Why are you crying again?” Taeyeon suddenly hugged her. Tiffany was stunned for a moment. She wasn’t still used to when Taeyeon initiates a hug. It was amazing how warmth and happiness wrapped her heart. It was amazing how Taeyeon can make her feel great with every little things the girl does.

 

“Pabo. Thank you for always being there for me.” Tiffany hugged her tighter.

 

“Of course. I’m your best friend. I’ll always be here for you.”

 

******

 

Three months had passed since Taeyeon caught her boyfriend cheating on him, and just like what Tiffany promised she never left the girl. Whether Taeyeon will decide to call her even if it was really late or even if the latter will go to clubs and drink all night. Tiffany didn’t complain. She was there for Taeyeon, whether to annoy the latter when she tried to stop her for drinking another glass or for her to lend her shoulder when Taeyeon cried. She doesn’t mind any single thing of it as long as she saw Taeyeon happy again.

 

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon sniffed as she withdrew form Tiffany’s hug. She wiped her cheeks. It was another night of her crying her eyes out, and Tiffany was still there. Comforting and being her strength. Tiffany chuckled.

 

“Why are you saying sorry?” Tiffany asked as she helped Taeyeon in wiping her tears.

 

“I keep on calling you late at night. Your parents might be worried.” Tiffany beamed a smiled.

 

“Don’t worry. They understand. Besides they know I’m here.” Taeyeon sniffed again.

 

“But still. I’m a burden, right?” Taeyeon asked as she looked at Tiffany. Tiffany flicked her forehead. Taeyeon groaned as she rubbed her forehead.

 

“Yah! What was that for?”

 

“Cause you’re pabo. You know you’ll never be a burden to me.” Taeyeon pouted.

 

“What can I do to pay back all your kindness to me Fany ah?”

 

“I don’t need you to pay me back. You’re like a sister figure to me Taeyeon, but you can do something to make me feel better.” Taeyeon’s eyes was round as she looked at Tiffany with determination.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Pick up yourself. Stop crying over him. Smile. You deserve so much better.” Taeyeon pouted.

 

“I’ll try Fany ah.”

 

After that night, Tiffany was happy to see Taeyeon slowly picking up herself. She was smiling more and she stopped going to the clubs and lessened her drinking. Tiffany was really happy that she’s finally getting back her best friend. It was Hyoyeon’s birthday when Taeyeon brought her new boyfriend. All of them were anxious if the guy will be good for Taeyeon or not, but they’re fair and give him a chance to prove himself to them.

 

One year had passed. They’re already in their second year college. They’re also getting busier, and it became harder for Taeyeon and Tiffany to meet each other. It was harder that they’re taking up different course and their building was far from each other. It was Sooyoung’s birthday. It was a miracle that all of them will be present on that day. Tiffany was thrilled that she’ll finally see Taeyeon again. She called for the latter, but instead it was a guy who answered the phone call.

 

“Uhm. Sorry I think I got the wrong number.” Tiffany was about to hang up when the guy spoke.

 

“Wait! Who are you calling for?”

 

“I’m calling Taeyeon. Why?”

 

“This is her phone. I’m her boyfriend.”

 

“Leetuk oppa?” Tiffany asked confusedly.

 

“Yep. That’s right it’s me.” Tiffany sighed in relief.

 

“I thought I got the wrong number. Uhm can I talk to Taeyeon.”

 

“Yeah sure. Wait a minute.” Tiffany can’t help not to be curious. Oh God. Did they do ‘that’ thing? Why did Leetuk oppa answered Tae’s phone?

 

“Fany ah.” Finally, she heard Taeyeon’s voice.

 

“Yah! Why did Leetuk oppa answered your phone?”

 

“Pabo. I was in the restroom when you called.”

 

“Are you sure you didn’t have with him?”

 

“Oh my God Hwang. Your imaginations should stop. We’re not doing that okay? He’s a decent man, Fany ah.” Tiffany sighed in relief.

 

“Thank God. It seems like you found the one Tae.” Taeyeon smiled on the other line.

 

“Indeed, I guess I have found the one.” She said as she looked at his boyfriend who’s making coffee for them. Tiffany smiled.

 

“I’m happy for you Taeyeon ah.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Anyways, before I forgot. Are we going together later at Soo’s party?”

 

“Sorry Fany ah. I’m going with Leetuk, but if you want you can go with us.” Tiffany smiled sadly.

 

“It’s okay Taeyeon I don’t want to disturb the both of you.”

 

“No it’s really fine. You can use that opportunity to know my boyfriend too.” And with that Tiffany agreed. She really missed Taeyeon. She missed her so much that it hurts sometimes, so she’ll grab any opportunity just to see Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon and Leetuk fetched her in her house. She and Taeyeon are in the backseat while Leetuk was driving. They decided to stop by and get some take outs in McDonalds since it’s still early. They’re back in the car. Tiffany was eating silently her hamburger when Taeyeon inched forward and feed Leetuk some fries. Tiffany almost snorted. She wasn’t used to Taeyeon being this caring, specially with a guy.

 

“Yah! What’s with that look?” Taeyeon asked her once the latter threw a glance at her. Tiffany laughed.

 

“Nothing. I’m just not used to this side of yours.” And his lucky. I didn’t know you’re this caring. I wish you were like this to me too.

 

Taeyeon stuck her tongue out. “I thought you knew all my sides Fany.” I thought so too. Tiffany mentally said. She doesn’t dare to speak as she felt a sudden sadness creep into her heart.

 

*****

 

It was during their story telling about different university ghost stories where Tiffany felt momentarily lost in time. She was seated across Taeyeon on that twelve seated table during Sooyoung’s party when she absentmindedly looked to Taeyeon’s direction. Leetuk his boyfriend, was seated beside Taeyeon, arms draped around Taeyeon’s shoulders. It was that moment when a force made her accidentally look at Taeyeon, then everything went blurred around them as her attention was pulled by Taeyeon’s enticing eyes. Her heart suddenly beat louder than Yoona’s voice who was currently speaking. She doesn’t hear anything, but her nervous and thrilled heart. Suddenly, Taeyeon was the most stunning human being she had ever seen. And as their eyes locked on that moment, Tiffany felt lost on those smouldering eyes that was looking at her. Burning holes to her heart, sending shivers into the deepest part of her heart, awaking the hidden emotion she tried to deny for a long time. Oh God. I love her.

 

As it finally dawned to her, hitting her like she had been hit by the fastest car, everything else came back to normal. Yoona’s voice echoing. Time ticking. Everyone was moving again. But she was there, stuck in the moment. As soon as the momentum was gone. It dawned to her, fast and hard, as she up the reality. No matter how bitter it tasted it sink into her that her first love was gone, and she was too late to even realize that she loved Taeyeon, more than a best friend, more than a sister.

 

========

A/N:

Thank you for reading and comments are very much appreciated.

>>angel_lamb13