Something is Off With Her...

You are My V.I.U
 
Something is off With Her…
Chapter 05

Today was a rough day. Practice isn’t going well and I have to get scolded the moment I stepped inside the house. Who is this Kang Hee girl. I thought that my parents were joking; I didn’t expect that they were actually serious and that girl had even dared to move in to my house. I plopped on my bed and massaged my temples. She didn’t recognize who I am? I am not trying to be arrogant but ‘Fiction’ has been playing all over Seoul this week. Urgh, I could care less. Then I felt my phone buzz, I look at the screen, it was a message.

Junhyung-ah, I am coming back real soon~

I smiled when I saw the message. Finally, a good news after a tiring day. I took my towel and went to take a long bath. That Kang Hee girl, there is something strange about her that I can’t pinpoint it out. It seems like she is also against this marriage. But why did she move in here?

***

“Miss Kang Hee,” a foreign voice called out to me. I took my bolster and place it on my ear, why are you waking me up? “Its breakfast time miss,” the voice became louder. Then I slowly stir and open my eyes. Damn, I forgot that I was in someone else’s house. With a grunt, I sat up straight, “I am sorry Minah, I’ll come down right away,” I rubbed my eyes. “Sure, take your time,” Minah seemed a little bit pissed. The first day here and I have already offended the maid. “Wake up!” I slapped myself gently after Minah went out. Taking my towel and clothes, I went and took a quick bath.

From the 2nd floor I could see that Mr and Mrs Yong and also Yong Junhyung were gathered at the living room while the maids prepare breakfast. Mr and Mrs Yong were talking about something that made Yong Junhyung sulk, it must’ve been about the marriage. I fixed my expression and put on a big smile. I could not afford offending the whole family. “Good morning,” as usual, I bowed before taking a seat beside Junhyung. “Did you sleep well?” Mrs. Yong was delighted when she saw me. “I do, thank you so much,” I smiled. Junhyung then stood up and moved to seat beside his father. I was surprised. “You’re very improper, waking up this late,” sarcasm is plastered all over his words. “I am really sorry,” I muttered.

 Just then, we heard the butler telling us that breakfast is ready. All of us scurried over to the dining table. Mrs. Yong told me to sit beside Junhyung and I followed her words. “Who gave you permission to sit beside me?” Junhyung was really cranky, he kicked my chair a little. Now I was pissed, I wished I could punch him, but instead, I cut a big piece of pancake and shove it into Junhyung’s mouth. “Yah! Are you crazy?” his mouth is full because of the pancake. Without feeling any guilt, I smirked and continued eating. Mr and Mrs Yong were now laughing, “Junhyung has always been like that, he has mood swings worse than a woman,” Mr. Yong said. “Dad!” Junhyung exclaimed, he finally swallowed the pancake. I laughed a little bit. Mrs. Yong was smiling all ears, “Junhyung, take Kang Hee  on a date today, I have bought amusement park tickets for you,” her words caused Junhyung to choke on the water he was drinking.

“Mom, I have work today!” he whined like a little kid. “Stop giving excuses, I have told JinTaek to free all your schedules for 3 days,” Mrs. Yong stared at him. “Then I should just stay at home and rest, you know I just finished promoting and stuffs, I am really tired,” he tried to persuade his mom, but all he could get was a no. “Is it alright for you Kang Hee?” Mrs. Yong turned to me. “I am okay,” with that, we finished eating and Mrs. Yong quickly hushed us to go. “Enjoy! Have a great time knowing each other!” she pushed some bills onto my hand, “Get something nice to eat,” I was surprised and I pushed the money back to her, “Its okay Sora, I have my own,”. Junhyung was tapping his foot, he saw what we both were doing and came over. “If you’re not taking it, then I am,” he snatched the money away and walked to the car. “Yong Junhyung!” Sora yelled. I quickly bowed and went after Junhyung.

The car sped away before I was done putting on my seatbelt. Junhyung drove fast; he kept an angry look all along. “Yah you are about to bump into that car!” I shouted as I held onto one of the car’s handle. He quickly swerved. Its like he regained consciousness and drive safer after that. We both kept silent all along the way. I placed my elbow on the window and let my mind drift away.

***

“Yah you are about to bump into that car!” that girl shouted. I quickly swerved. I still want to live. I reminded myself then drive slower. Then, it was all silence. Awkward, the only word to describe the situation right now. Isn’t she very chatty just now? Unconsciously, my eyes were glancing at her. She was resting her elbow on the window pane and gazed outside. She is quite pretty. I thought to myself then quickly shake off the thought. She was still looking outside, then I heard a little sniff. Did she cried? But I couldn’t see clearly. Just then, the car in front of me suddenly came to a halt. I stepped on the brake, “Is he crazy?! Unbelievable!” I ranted. She still kept her gaze on the window, as if in her own world.

“We are here,” I stopped the car and sighed. She was still not responding. “Hey we are here!” she finally heard what I was saying and turned her head around. She looked very tired, not just any tired, her expression was like she was carrying a heavy burden. She caught that I was staring and quickly smiled. She took off her seatbelts and went outside. “Fresh air!” she exclaimed. I slammed the door behind me and walked away. “Let’s go!” suddenly, I felt like I was grabbed and ran away. She was all gloomy just now and suddenly she was this cheerful? What is wrong with this girl?

“Let go of me,” I shoved her hand away after we went in the amusement park. She was grinning, “its been long since I came here,” she looked at the rides. It was weekday and the amusement park was almost empty, there were only some little kids jumping around. Mom had especially bought tickets to the amusement park that has fewer crowds, so I won’t be easily recognized. Despite that, I still can’t get risked getting caught, I bring out my sunglasses, cap and a mask and wore it. “Why would you use all these?” Kang Hee stared at me. “You don’t know anything,” annoyed, I walked away. “Wait for me!” she picked up her pace and ran to me before putting her arms in mine. “What do you think you are doing?” I forcefully shove away her arm. She was stunned and I just walked away. “Don’t follow me! You go your own way and I’ll go mine!” I lowered my head and hurried to a café.

***

I took a deep breath as I saw Junhyung walked farther. The amusement park, I started shuddering. I hated the amusement park. When I was 5 years old, I was lost inside the sea of people at an amusement park, since then, I have always feared stepping inside one of them. Dongmin was the one who helped me get rid of the fear. He would hold my hands tightly and show me around. He was the one who made amusement parks fun again. But now, I was alone, all alone. Regaining my balance, I dragged myself and sat on a bench. I buried my face inside my hands, I was sweating hard. That feeling of getting abandoned came creeping inside me once again.

I was hugging myself when a staff approached me. She asked me if I was okay, I nodded and quickly ran away from there. I don’t know where I was heading to, I took a sit and I heard the sound of door getting locked. I was inside a Ferris wheel cabin. The Ferris wheel then started moving, I took deep breath, trying to calm myself down, but instead, I was shedding tears. I was panting hard, the fear and the memories of Dongmin started to mix and fill me. I was crying hard. I wanted to forget, but everything kept reminding me of him. I thought that I could, but I couldn’t.

***

The sky has turned dark, just went I looked up, I saw Kang Hee running and went inside one of the Ferris wheel cabin. She was hugging herself and looked flustered. I took a sip of my hot mocha as rain started to drop little by little. Since the Ferris wheel is not that big, I could see the whole view from where I sat. Kang Hee was now hanging on top, but she was not looking outside. I could see that she is still hugging herself. At this moment, I could not take my eyes off her. She looked terrified. Is she afraid of heights? But if she was, she wouldn’t ran inside the Ferris wheel like that. I took another sip while eyes still laid on her.

A thunder was heard and the Ferris wheel stopped turning. Her cabin was now not on the highest point, but a little bit below on the right. I could see her clearer now. Her cheeks were stained with tears, she was sobbing uncontrollably. Now, she buried her face inside her palms, still sobbing. Is she alright? I started to panic and scold myself, I shouldn’t have let her go alone.

My fingers pressed on the speed dial in my phone, “Hello, mom?” I spoke. “Oh Junhyung, what is it? You rarely call me, where is Kang Hee?” a sweet voice was heard from the other side. “Mom do you have Kang Hee’s number?” my eyes were still looking at Kang Hee. “Shouldn’t you have her number? Aigoo this son of mine is really-“ before she finish her sentence, I asked again, “Mom just give me here number now, I have no time to listen to your rants,” I was getting impatient, I was worried. “Okay, I’ll message you now,” with that, she hung up.

Shortly after that, the message came. I quickly copied her number and dialed. She is not picking up the phone. I tried to call again and again. Finally, after the third call, I could see her rummage through her bag and picked up.

“Hello?” her voice was soft. “Kang Hee! What happened? Are you okay? Are you afraid?” I started to throw her questions.  “Who are you?” she was controlling her voice. “I am Junhyung,” this girl is unbelievable. “Why are you calling me? Where did you get my number?” she asked. “It doesn’t matter, I saw you in the Ferris wheel, what happened? Are you not feeling well? The Ferris wheel is going to operate again soon so don’t be afraid,” I was panicking. She stayed silent. “You were crying,” I spoke. “Its none of your business okay, I am fine. Just let me stay like this for a while, please,” with that she hung up. Why did she lose her temper to me? So much for being worried. I slumped back on my chair, I was just worried okay! I mentally scolded her. If it was somebody else, I would just storm off and leave, how could she get mad at me for being worried. But in this case, I don’t know why I just patiently waited until she get off the Ferris wheel.

As soon as Kang Hee stepped out of the cabin, she hurriedly ran to the washroom. I followed her there and waited outside, it was still raining. Gladly, the café owner lent me an umbrella. It seems like he recognized who I am. Well it would be strange if people could not recognize me, Kang Hee is one of the strange people. After a while, she finally came out of the washroom and was startled when I stood in front of her. I could see her eyes swollen and her nose still a little bit red. “Why are you here?” she asked blatantly, not meeting her eyes with mine. “What happened?” I grabbed her wrist as she tried to walk away. “Its none of your business,” she tried to shove her hand away. Just then, I heard a bunch of girls whispering, “Isn’t  that Junhyung oppa?”  a high school girl whispered to her friend. What was a bunch of schoolgirls doing in an amusement park on weekdays? “I think that’s him! But why is he with a girl?” a brown haired girl spoke.

I lowered my cap and pulled Kang Hee away. She seemed to be resisting but my grip is firm. I tucked her inside the car, she rubbed her hand, it seems like my grip was too strong. “I am sorry,” I blurted, it feels bad to have hurt a girl. “Its okay,” she replied coldly. “Its getting late, we should head back,” with that, I started driving. The whole ride, I was asking her what happened, only to get yelled back by her. “Yah, why are you yelling at me! Do you know how worried I was?” I was annoyed. “Can you please don’t probe any further? I said a lot of times, just mind your own business,”  then the ride turned silent.

When we arrive, she quickly get off the car and went inside the house. “Kang Hee, you are back so early, where is Junhyung?” I heard my mom asked her. “Oh he is still inside the car, I am a little bit tired, I’ll go up and rest,” she bowed and ran upstairs. “She looked really tired, what happened?” mom turned to me. “Beats me,” I replied and went upstairs too.

That night, my thoughts were filled by what happened earlier. What is wrong with her? She was quite cheerful the first day she came, and chatty too. She also seemed to be getting into my good books. But just now was a totally different side of her. She looked sad. I don’t know how to put it but, it seems that she is very pained. I wonder what have she been through. And… why am I this worried for a stranger? .

 

Author's Note: Dums dums dums Chapter 5 is here! Comments are highly appreciated! Thanks!