Is This the Right Choice?

You are My V.I.U
 
Is This the Right Choice?
Chapter 03

Three months passed just like that. I was still living like a zombie, even though I’ve eaten and slept. But food tastes awful and I could not sleep well at night. I stopped crying, for some reason, tears would not come out anymore. But up until now, I still can’t accept the fact that Dongmin was gone. This morning, I received a call from my best friend, Hyejin. She was handling her parent’s business in Holland and had specially flown back after she heard what happened. About an hour later, she arrived at my house and barged into my room with her red louboutin still on her feet, it was a gift from me. “Kang Hee-ah” without saying anything else, she hugged me and the tears that would not flow suddenly stained my whole cheek. I burst into tears. She my hair and started crying herself. Its been long since we met.

We talked for hours, I told her everything and we did a little bit of catching up which helped me to forget about Dongmin for a while. Then we both fell asleep.  It was around midnight when I woke up, Hyejin was sleeping soundly. Feeling thirsty, I decided to go downstairs and take a sip. I close the door behind me softly. Shouldn’t my parents be asleep? I could hear them talking. I went up closer to their room, the door was not closed fully, I scooted closer to the gap.

“Dear, we should break the news to her soon,” that’s my father’s voice. “I know, but look at her, how could we bear to tell her?” my mom replied. Then I heard my father sigh, “I know that as well, but, the company could not wait,” he sounded frustrated. “We should not have permitted her to date Dongmin in the first place,” my mom sighed as well. What were they going to tell me about? What has this got to do with my relationship with Dongmin? “But its all too late now dear, we thought they were just fooling around at first, we never thought that he will affect Kang Hee so much,” my mom looked tired.

“What should we do? The other party had also been rushing us, they said they wanted to meet their daughter-in-law soon, I didn’t tell them that my daughter’s boyfriend just passed away,” dad was looking very worried. “Did you see Kang Hee’s fiancé? What did he look like?” mom was dad’s back. “He should be nice, but the problem is Kang Hee, she won’t accept this if we told her, but we could not drag this matter any longer, both of our families need this,” my dad stood up and clenched his fist. “Dear, I know, we all know, but let us see if Kang Hee’s condition improved or not first, then we tell her okay? Let’s just tell Sora that Kang Hee is not feeling well,” I was shocked. I have a fiancé? My head was now pounding. What in the world is happening? What happened to Dad’s company?

I was holding the handrail of the stairs before my legs failed me and I tumbled downstairs. The last thing I heard was my mom shouting seeing her daughter covered in blood.

***

This is the second time that I was warded, I could not accustom to the smell of medicines. This place reminded me of Dongmin, his cold body. When I woke up, my parents were both in front of me, sobbing. “Kang Hee ah, what happened to you,” she thought that I was trying to kill myself. “I am fine, I just tripped,” then I remembered what caused me to fall down the stairs. I was about to ask when my father stepped in the room. He took a seat and was both looking at me, “This is not the best time but we have something to tell you,” his gaze was shifting. I just stayed silent. “Kang Hee-ah, when you were born, your grandparents arranged for you to be married with their good friend’s grandson. He was three years older than you. Both of their families have been on very good terms and we could not refuse. We then wrote up a contract. But when you were five, they moved and we lost contact. Half year ago we met them on an exhibition. They called out to us and talked about the marriage. Since there was a contract, breaching it is not an option. You were supposed to move in to their house today, but…” my mom stopped talking. I could not believe it. What in the world was they thinking? Arranged marriage? What the actual thing to do in this era. I kept silent.

“Kang Hee-ah, we know you are very angry right now, we never thought that we will meet them again after so long, and I don’t know if this is lucky or what, but our company needs this,” my dad spoke out his real intention. I was disappointed, is that the reason to sacrifice his daughter’s happiness? “We had a hard time telling you this Kang Hee, but we hope you will understand, Dongmin is also gone and he knew about this, I am sure he would want you to be happy“ those excuses, this is because the company needs this, not me. “Get out,” was all I could say. “Kang Hee, we-“ both my parents were very disappointed. “Go,” it was very unfilial of me, but I am so sick of all of this. How could you tell me to marry someone else when I just lost my dearest?

For the next few days, I locked myself in my room and do not want to see anyone, even Hyejin. I refused to say a single word. I could not believe how my parents were this cruel. I curled myself in my bed. For all these times, I have never felt this terrible. It’s like when I was just feeling slightly better, but there were things that made me feel terrible again. I was trying to move on, but I could not accept marrying someone. I would not betray Dongmin, he was the one for me.

My phone started to ring again, it must’ve been Hyejin. I ignored her call, after a while, a message came in. Hyejin told me to check the voicemail. Reluctantly, I listened to what she has to say. “Kang Hee, I know you are feeling much more terrible than before, I understand. Your parents were also ridiculous to tell you to get married at this juncture. But after I did some research, you should understand your parents a little. You dad’s company is going downhill at this point, they ran up into financial problem and it will be very hard to solve this. But there is a way; your fiancé’s family has the power and reputation to help your father. Which I am sure that they won’t be very willing to do this except for something in return, which is your marriage. Moreover, this marriage was arranged by your grandparents and you would not like to see your family’s business for so many years close down in your father’s hand don’t you? I may sound harsh Kang Hee, but I just hope that you could be rational, and do the right thing,”

The whole night, my eyes were wide open. I was thinking about what Hyejin said. Hyejin is right, life goes on no matter what happens. I thought to myself while looking at Dongmin’s picture. People come and go in life, Dongmin just went a little faster, and we could not change anything about it. It still hurts, my heart still hurts thinking about it, even breathing seems hard. Kang Hee what could you do? Absolutely nothing, do you know why he won’t tell you? Precisely because you will act like this. Her words resonate in my head. Unknowingly, tears started to well up in my eyes. Kang Hee-ah, I know you are feeling really terrible, but its not the end of the world, Dongmin will forever stay in your heart, he told you to be happy no matter what didn’t he? Dongmin-ah I am so sorry. Would you like to see your family business go downhill? I don’t I really don’t, I know how much effort my father has put for the business.  Kang Hee-ah, who you love is not only Dongmin, spare a thought for your parents and the people who care for you, you should cherish everything more, Dongmin would be disappointed if he saw you like this. I was pulling my hair. I don’t know what I should do. I do not want to get married but I do not want my family’s business to close down.

 “Mom,” I pushed the door open, my voice sounded hoarse. It actually felt strange for me to talk. “Kang Hee dear,” she was shocked when I was finally talking. “I will go,” was all I could say. “What?” she doesn’t seem to fully understand. “I will move in to Yong’s residence,” I said. “You will?” she hugged me. Did I do the right thing?

.

 

Author's Note: Its the third chapter here! Please comment on how you think so far! <3<3