Jeju and Hansol

The Music Hall at 5th Gangnam Street

Reaching Jeju Island was all a blunder. A glamourous Summer had ended and EunBi was back to reality, starting her school in 7th grade.

 

"I made this sweater for you," Grandma had pointed before EunBi left Seoul, at the sweater she was still knitting. It was incomplete and bigger than EunBi's size. Much like a frock for her.

But perhaps Grandma was preparing for the sweater for the next year when she's bigger. EunBi remembered her memories in Seoul as she walked to school a month after returning from Seoul in Jeju. Middle school had begun and she was walking up the hill that lead to the building.

 

A bunch of kids walked up the hill to their middle school alongside EunBi. She held onto her back pack straps and watched as tiny droplets fell over the concrete road she was walking on.

It had rained all night and the sun shooed away the clouds, but the morning was wet. Her uniform consisted of a light blue frock and a sun hat. Children around her were running up while she was walking slowly, lost in her thoughts.

 

As much as EunBi liked her town, she often found herself zoning out often in Jeju than she did in Seoul. Surprisingly, coming back to Jeju made her mind wander off to numerous others things.

"Hey, Song," said a guy EunBi's age. Hansol was EunBi's classmate and close friend since a long time but refrained from being seen with her much and didn't like to openly admit any form of closeness with her. 

"What?" EunBi snapped out of her zoning out as she walked to school. Their relationship was the kind kids have in middle school. Close but afraid to admit to any type of relationship. They'd get teased often and although EunBi wouldn't be bothered, Hansol would always blush slightly and then refuse. 

"I heard you were in this Seoul this Summer," he muttered, pin pointing a deeper meaning in his sentence.

 

"Yeah," EunBi said dreamily, looking up at the sky. Hansol immediately grew red, jealous at EunBi's trip to the capital.

 

"Uh well there's no need to get over the clouds!" Hansol yelled in defence as a hurt on his ego, overassuming as a kid.

All boys in her school had a crush on one of the girls called Sohyun. Sohyun was cute and pretty and all boys knew this and so did Hansol. Although the only girl Hansol ever talked to was EunBi, when he got teased by his friends he'd always insult EunBi and say there's 'no way' he would settle for someone like her with Sohyun around.

 

EunBi being the not bothered kind of girl she was, didn't care even if somebody told her. It just wasn't something she cared about. She talked to him nicely nonetheless.

While walking up slowly, Hansol still kept walking next to her, watching her as she watched the sky and a big slow cloud flying past. Hansol coughed, to draw he attention but she still didn't look at him.

 

"What are you thinking?" Hansol asked. Without realising, EunBi answered his question.

"I made a friend in Seoul," she said while watching the cloud, "I wonder if he'd remember me the next time I visit him," something a child her age would say.

Immediately after listening to this, Hansol felt a tinge of jealousy at the 'he' she mentioned. He wasn't used to EunBi being friends with guys. The only one she had was Hansol, as far as he could remember. And knowing that she's friends with another boy who Hansol doesn't know of that she misses was something bothering him.

 

"Who's he?" he asked with curiousity but Eunbi was still walking quietly without paying any attention to him.

 

"Song? (her surname)" he said after which she snapped out of her thoughts.

 

"Nothing, forget it," Hansol said angrily and walked forward towards other friends of his, who for walking with her.

EunBi watched as Hansol walked a few metres ahead to a group of boys Hansol usually hung out with in their school and saw how he lied about not knowing her. But EunBi just humphed. She didn't care much about Hansol anyway.

Somehow being away from someone you miss is what makes you miss them more. Make them more mysterious, more willing to explore for you. 

 

The next night, EunBi found herself alone in her room on her table drawing on a plane paper when her mom walked in.

"EunBi, the Chwe family is here for Dinner," she said, signalling Eunbi to come out to greet them.

Hansol was half korean and his mother was an american lady in Jeju. Hansol wore a neat sweater that EunBi bet was his mother's choice. They greeted them and Hansol's attention was drawn onto Eunbi as she walked out of her room to greet the family. Their families had been friends for a long time but nobody in school had known, thanks to Hansol's insults.

 

"Kids, why don't you go play while we cook dinner?" Eunbi's mom said, as Hansol's mom also wanted to learn specific recipes EunBi's mom cooked.

 

Without much hesitation both EunBi and Hansol walked into EunBi's room and shut the door. Her room was dark and only one lamp was on, which made the room slightly orange due to the lamp's colour. EunBi walked in without much thought and acknowledgement for Hansol but Hansol's mind was completely on her. He had a soft spot for her which he knew about, but was afraid to admit.

 

For the next few minutes, Hansol sat quietly on EunBi's bed while EunBi sat with her back faced to him on the chair with her table, drawing what she was before her mom walked in. Hansol was awaiting EunBi to say something but she never did, so Hansol said something instead. Even though he was a lot ruder in school, in private he was quite soft-spoken to her.

 

"You were telling me about your friend in Seoul," Hansol said. EunBi, who was drawing, stopped and felt a little uneasy on being reminded about Wonwoo. Hansol had sensed this.

 

"Who's this guy?" he asked straightforwardly. Being this young he didn't know the impact of his straightforward questions.

 

"Just a friend," she said. 

 

"Just a friend or more than a friend?" Hansol asked, clearly wanting to know. He had never imagined EunBi would ever make another male friend besides him.

 

"Why so many questions?" she asked, still drawing and not moving her facial expression.

 

"I just wanna know. If he's more than a friend you'd feel tingley in your stomach for him. Do you feel that? How long have you known him?" Hansol asked, also describing the feeling of liking someone as he had known through his own experience. With who had he felt this way?

 

"I've known him for the vacation I was there for, it was fun," she said, still not answering Hansol's question because of her naivity. Hansol had not been in Seoul and this being said his ego was hurt about EunBi going and having fun and not him.

 

"When I go to Seoul, I'll make other girl friends too," Hansol said with his ego. But EunBi hardly seemed to care and picked up her drawing to walk out and show her mom.

 

"Ok," she answered Hansol. She had shown no interest in him whatever and thinking that Hansol could make her feel the same way was something he expected. But she didn't feel jealous the way he did.

 

"Wait, aren't you jealous?" he asked, getting up from his bed and following EunBi as she walked out.

 

"Jealous of what?" EunBi laughed. Her maturity had increased and looking at that made Hansol even more insecure about the closeness they shared. Perhaps she didn't like referring to him as her only close friend anymore. He wanted to get closer to her at this point, knowing that he liked being around her.

A/N: A lot of you new subscribers don't know but the story carries as EunBi grows up. The first chapter's first part going into flashback and this still is the flashback. So don't worry. The story goes on till EunBi grows up till a 17 year old. This is simple the first few chapters of how everything began. The majority comes later. Thanks for reading! Comment and let's interact! Tell me about your opinions as well!