Lost

The Music Hall at 5th Gangnam Street

 

"Eunbi," a deep lingering voice called out in the midst of the night during which the Island was asleep. 

"Eunbi," the voice said again and Eunbi twisted and her bed in the hot summer night in the year she turns 18. The night was warm and her room was dark as she slept.

Her room was big enough to grant personal space but small enough to allow one open window to lighten the entire room with the light from the night sky. Although Eunbi was sleeping, she could hear a strange voice calling out to her as if to long her attention.

"Don't you remember me?" said the deep voice. But Eunbi still wasn't awake to speculate whether or not the voice was coming out of her dreams or mere reality. Somehow these voices would only call out to her every night since that day. But only when she slept. So everytime she'd wake up, she'd be unsure of hearing any voices at all.

Flashback

Eunbi loved visiting her Grandma's house in Gangnam every Summer. Eunbi lived in Jeju Island all her life and wanted to experience what living in a fast pacing city like Seoul felt like.

Ever since the year she turned 12, she along with her parents would come visit her Grandma's place every summer like a ritual. Eunbi loved travelling too, much like any middle schooler would who hasn't stepped out of their territory at all.

 

"Yay! Seoul!" she would exclaim in the taxi. Or in the flight. And even when she walked in her Grandma's house.

She loved her grandma dearly. She was old and could hardly walk without a constant support and had lived in the same district all her life. So she was pretty much aware of all the secrets the town hid.

But then again it's hard to rely on the memory of an old woman who may have gone sanile by the old age of 80.

"Mom, you know Sohee was telling me about this Magic Amusement Park in Gangnam she went to last year that had the best Gyro drops ever! I told her I'm going to Seoul this summer as well and I'll be going there everyday. She showed off so much but this time it'll be me!" Eunbi said to her Mom who quietly smiled to her rants throughout the journey.

 

She was an excessively enthusiatic kid for her age. Unfortunately, the amusement park was on the opposite end of the town and Grandma's house did not have any cars to take her in. But her mom did not have the heart to burst her bubble and thought maybe she could take her to other places she would enjoy more than amusement parks.

 

"Grandma!" Eunbi ran inside her grandma's house as Yoo Ha, EunBi's 20 year old cousin, opened the door for the family to walk in. She bowed to her uncle and aunt.

"Oh is it little Eunbi?" Grandma walked out slowly from her room to the living room where the family awaited the old woman. The scene was like one at an airport where one half of a family meets the other. Their house was old, Eunbi could tell. It was made out of creaking wood and sound of the lake behind the house. Because of the timber, the house was darker than most houses and was beautifully mysterious.

 

"Ah! You're finally here!" Yoo Ha said, excitedly, playing with Eunbi as she ran around happily to have reached Grandma's place. Yoo Ha walked in with the luggage Eunbi's family brought and kept it in the empty room where the family would sleep for the Summer. In addition, Eunbi had short brown hair at the age and loved adventure of any sort.

 

"I've heard so much about Seoul you know from television and friends!" Eunbi explained as she talked to Yoo Ha about the things she wanted to do this Summer.

"Do you know Magic Amusement Park? I think it's 10 minutes from here!! We should go. I've never been to one...," Eunbi rapidly spoke to her innocence. She sure must have done her research to know so much about a city she had never been to.

 

"Ah yes yes, we should," Yoo Ha played along. Even though the Amusement park was on the other side of the city to which they couldn't possibly go. Grandma just gave Yoo Ha a slight nudge as they sat and began to have their evening snack on the couch while Eunbi restestly annoyed Yoo Ha about the Amusement park.

Her grandma knew they didn't have the transport to take Eunbi all the way across town for the Amusement park and hence nudged Yoo Ha to take her somewhere else soon so her granddaughter doesn't feel disappointed.

 

 

Later at night when Eunbi changed into her pajamas and ran around the house, Yoo Ha was washing the dishes.

"Eunbi?" she called out from the kitchen to the young girl running about. She sure was more immature than most girls her age. More playful.

"Yes yes unnie" Eunbi hopped into the Kitchen.

"Could you help dry these dishes?" Yoo Ha asked as she handed Eunbi a basket with washed spoons and a cloth to rub the water off the spoons. Eunbi nodded as she sat on the floor and began wiping the water off the wet spoons. What a lively kid, Yoo Ha thought to herself.

 

"Oh I forgot to ask," Yoo Ha lied, remembering the nudge she got from her grandmother a few hours back. Since the family owned no cars, Grandma asked Yoo Ha to take Eunbi walking to nice places she could play in instead of the amusement park since it was way too far. She did not want to disappoint such a happy daughter she loved so much. Yoo Ha although, being a young girl in her 20s, knew the perfect place for distraction.

 

"I'm going to KBS Music Hall tomorrow that's across the street, for a Kpop concert tomorrow. All the hottest bands are going to be there and I have an extra ticket. Wanna come with?" Yoo Ha said matter of factly, but indeed had it in her mind to ask her so she would not suspect.

 

"K-pop? Suju?" Eunbi said, without taking her eyes off the spoons she was drying that had captivated all her attention as to not look upto her sister that awaited her response.

"Apparently Kpop is a big trend now, your classmates must be fans, right? I think they would be astonished to know that you witnessed a Kpop concert!" Yoo Ha tried to convince and get her mind off the stupid park.

 

"Yeah but what about the Amusement Park?" Eunbi asked, finally looking up from the spoons she was cleaning with big innocent eyes. Her eyes were her charm and a trait she got from her grandmother.

"Amusement park is open everyday, Eunbi, we can go whenever we want in the coming days of Summer. But Kpop shows don't happen everyday. It's one aspect of Seoul you'd love, so come with me" Yoo Ha insisted.

"Okay sure," Eunbi said. Although she was disappointed, she knew she had other days in summer to visit the Park.

The Show was one hell of a show. 15-16 bands performed and Eunbi jumped happily on her seat as she watched so many of them dance one after the other. The concert was loud and fun and Eunbi completely forgot about the Amusement Park while she was in the Music Hall across 5th gangnam street that was a 10 minute walk from her grandma's place. The noise of the concert could often be heard in their house as well.

 

"Wow, that was really so cool! Did you see the band with the 5 members?" Eunbi restlessly talked as Yoo Ha and Eunbi started walking out of the Music Hall slowly along with the other girls, hand in hand.

 

"Eunbi there were so many 5 member groups," YooHa laughed at her sister's innocence.

 

"Yeah but that one with the lalalalala song," Eunbi hummed the tune to which Yoo Ha laughed for longer. As the door of the Music Hall opened, there was a sudden burst of fangirls rushing out from behind the sisters, to spot the idols leaving the Music Hall in their cars. Eunbi and Yoo Ha almost got trampled, but with the force of which almost 600 fangirls ran out, Yoo Ha lost hold of her little sister in the crowd as girls ran outside and pushed them.

 

"Eunbi?" Yoo Ha inaudibly yelled in the crowd. She had just lost her sister to a million girls still running around in the crowd. People were so close to her body, she could hardly breath. She couldn't hold sight of her sister anywhere though. Even more, Eunbi was shorter and harder to spot in the crowd.

 

Eunbi on the other hand was small enough to be drifted away easily and struggled her way out of the crowd. She stood outside the gathering of fangirls but she couldn't see her sister anywhere since she was tangled in the crowd while Eunbi was standing a little farther away to avoid getting lost in the big crowd.

 

"Unnie?" Eunbi panicked in the crowd. Where was her sister? her second day in seoul and she had already lost her in the crowd.

Oh no, she started crying. But was still inaudible in the crowd. What was she to do? Losing yourself as a 12 year old in a unknown place wasn't easy and she didn't remember the walk home either. So she just cried while yelling her sister's name, but nobody listened. It was darker than usual for a saturday night and chillier than usual for a summer one.

"Unnie!!" she trying yelling as loudly as possible while crying but couldn't hear her own self in the noise. Eventually, she sat down on the concrete ground with her fists on her eyes, rubbing her tears off like a baby.

 

"Hey, hey!" said a mysterious man as he approached a crying Eunbi. He looked older in age and made Eunbi turn her head up since he was twice as tall as her. Her nose was dripping and her face was red as a tomato but as 12 years old we forget to conform to beauty standards during a crisis. He wore a simple polo tshirt and jeans and looked around 18 years of age.

"What's the matter?" he sat down on the ground in front of her and asked in the noise of the crowd.

"I've never seen any girl crying after a concert in such sorrow," he laughed as he talked to Eunbi who had stopped crying but was looking at the man strangely. She didn't know whether she should talk to him or not. She was told not to talk to strangers by her mom.

 

"I lost my Unnie," Eunbi said anyway, embarrased. She tried looking at the ground to avoid any eye contact with the man.

"OH she talks!" he laughed at Eunbi, who looked at him with a weird look. "Why don't you wait at the side so it's easier for her to spot you?" he suggested to which Eunbi took a minute to think but eventually walked a little farther away from the crowd to the corner at which her sister could spot her. The man followed her.

"So, is it your first time being here?" he asked, making conversation with Eunbi as they awaited the sister. Eunbi, although was a little creeped out by the man, still found a certain warmth in his conversation. His hair were messy and emoish, the kind of trend that died out ages ago.

 

"How did you know?" Eunbi asked softly as her tears dried. She looked at the man who was sitting beside her. 

"Most little girls won't get surprised at this behaviour of fangirls if they come here often," he talked. Eunbi gave him a slight smile.

"You know a lot about these girls?" Eunbi said, pointing towards the big crowd of fangirls that were crowding around the cars in a distance.

"I have experience with them for about umm 6 years now?" he said, thinking about how long it has been since he started visiting this Music Hall.

"Ah! you must be a dedicated fanboy then?" Eunbi said, getting back to her usual self now. But the man just laughed.

 

"Something like that," he said, smiling and looking at her to which Eunbi gave back a slight smil.e

 

"Eunbi!!" said Yoo Ha as she approached the little sister standing at the corner. "OH GOODNESS I THOUGHT I LOST YOU" Yoo Ha said, all jumpy and relieved. She sure would have been really scared to have lost Eunbi. Afterall, her reponsibility was on her shoulders and she almost missed it. Grandma would have been so angry if she found out she got lost.

She hugged Eunbi tightly as the man just watched with a smile.

 

"Don't tell grandma that I lost you, please!" Yoo Ha pleaded as she held Eunbi's hand and started walking away slowly.

Yoo Ha endlessly ranted about how scared she was as they walked farther and farther away from the Music Hall. The meeting with the man was cut abrubtly, due to which Eunbi looked behind to spot the man who was now smaller than he looked upclose, since he was farther from her sight now. But she could see him smiling and waving good bye to Eunbi.

Who waved back before turning away and walking home with her sister.

Hello readers! I hope you liked the first chapter. Thank you for subscribing and reader. I love all of you :)

Do let me know how you feel about the chapter in the comments.