Outskirts

The Music Hall at 5th Gangnam Street

That night, Eunbi was asked about the concert by her parents, who patiently awaited her response while eating Dinner.

"So how was the concert?" Eunbi's parents asked as they had a bite of the local rice Eunbi's grandma cooked. Eunbi gave Yoo Ha a look to which she anxiously shook her head, reminding her to not mention her getting lost. Yoo Ha sure was gonna get a scolding.

 

"It was great," Eunbi answered calmly, not much in her hyperactive mood anymore.

Although they were in Seoul, Grandma's house still was more traditional than most Gangnam houses. They sat on the floor and eated together like a family. They hardly noticed Eunbi's change in tone. 

 

"Have you thanked Yoo Ha for accompanying you?" her parents asked. They always reminded Eunbi that she should thank people for accompanying her to places cause she always forgot to. She zoned out before facing Yoo Ha unnie and bowing to her, ironically. Her family didn't know Yoo Ha had almost lost her.

As she bowed to Yoo Ha and thanked her, she remembered how she also forgot to thank the mysterious man for accompaning her in her waiting.The thought of the mysterious man now started lingering her, he had slipped her mind until now. He sure was somebody new she interacted with in a long time. She got forgotten to ask him his name also.

 

Similar to the first day, Yoo Ha would keep distracting Eunbi from the idea of going to the Amusement park so she doesn't feel disappointed. Eventually she had in mind that she would tell Eunbi on the final day that she's sorry she couldn't take Eunbi to the Amusement park at all despite everything and she would forget.

But Eunbi sure wasn't in the mood to let that thought go after the first 2 weeks passed.

 

"Only 2 weeks to go till I leave Seoul, can we please visit the amusement park today?" Eunbi exclaimed, tired of going to normal malls and toy stores.

She wasn't that young anymore. Ironically, still wanting to go to amusement parks. She had still not forgotten about the mysterious man she met in the Music Hall in the next street. Little kids sure remembered their experiences with people because there were only a handful.

Everytime she went out with Yoo Ha, she would keep an eye on whether she saw him again, not keeping in mind that Gangnam was a big big district and finding a stranger again was close to impossible.

Somehow, she didn't get to see him in any area she visited in the last weeks and his face had slowly started to fade in her memory. She wasn't sure if she would be able to recognise him if he encountered her again. But his voice is what struck her still. It was deep.

 

"It's only 10 minutes from here!" Eunbi pulled her sister's dress a little as she followed her around, begging her to take her to the amusement park that afternoon.

"Eunbi not today, I'm busy." Yoo Ha honestly stated. Eunbi's grandma and parents had gone to some boring auction that Eunbi didn't want to attend and Yoo Ha couldn't take Eunbi out today either. So it was a waste of a day.

Eunbi groaned like a kid as she stamped her feet on the wooden floor and walked to her room. "So boring" she muttered and fell on her assigned bed. She stared at the ceiling as she thought how much she loved adventure and today would be an utter waste to her summer holidays.

She suddenly thought, why not make this day an adventure as well? Perhaps she could go around the street trying to find her friend, the mysterious man who talked to her briefly that day? It would be one heck of an adventure, since she met him last in the Music Hall.

 

"Yoo Ha?" Eunbi peeked in the Kitchen while Yoo Ha washed the dishes.

"Hmm?" Yoo Ha mm-ed without looking up from the dishes.

"Are you free tonight at least to go for a concert in the Music Hall?" Eunbi sweetly asked, trying to convince her sister.

 

"OH you liked the last one?" Yoo Ha excitedly looked at Eunbi, happy that she could turn her little sister into a K-pop fan like herself.

Eunbi nodded.

"There's no show today. I think there's one this Saturday though," Yoo Ha said since M! countdown didn't happen everyday.

"Whenever it is, we'll go," Eunbi said to which Yoo Ha happily exclaimed.

 

As they entered the Hall, Eun bi could spot the entire crowd holding different coloured light sticks. Even Yoo Ha had one for the band she supported and handed one to Eunbi as well. Looking at the colour lightings and big stage, she completely forgot why she wanted to return to this place in the first place. She carefully sat on her seat beside Yoo Ha and another man.

She cheered as groups performed one after the other until a slow song came. Being a 12 year old, Eunbi enjoyed fast pop songs much more than slow ones so she was sitting usually without much jumping around. 

"Uh this is quite boring, isn't it?" said the man beside her as Eunbi watched the stage. Her innocence didn't even stop her from replying.

"Yeah so boring," Eunbi shrugged. A minute after, she identified the deepness in the man's voice as she turned to look at him. Much to her surprise, the man sitting next to her was the same mysterious man she encountered the day before that.

Eunbi smiled, not the least bit suspicious of this being just a 'coincidence'.

"You again!" Eunbi happily said.

"Hi shorty," the man replied to Eunbi, smiling back. He was flattered to see how happy she got after looking at him.

 

"I was trying to spot you at different places, my mom told me to thank people who accompany me and I totally forgot to thank you for that day," Eunbi said to him as he listened.

As he heard, his smile widened. He was flattered by Eunbi's words and her finding him. He hadn't heard so in a long long time. 

"Your welcome," he said as bowed.

"So what's your name, Oppa?" Eunbi said, informally. But the man didn't mind. She was unaware of the sweet impact she had on him with every word she said.

She even called him Oppa.

"Wonwoo," he said and tapped her head. The Music Hall was dark and the only source of light was the stage lights. While Wonwoo and Eunbi faced each other and spoke, Eunbi could see Wonwoo's face half in the light and half in the dark. She wondered if he could see Eunbi the same, but she held a light stick which clearly showed her face to him.

This was quite similar to how much she knew him against how much he knew her. He could see her clearly and read her better than she could, as she see only spot one side of him.

 

"Ah wonwoo oppa," Eunbi said, looking around as the song had switched to another upbeat song.

"Have I told you? This is my first time in Seoul. I've never been to amusement parks and I've heard there's this big one here in Gangnam that I want to visit," Eunbi started talking to her newly made friend.

"I here for summer vacation and I'm leaving in the next two weeks," she kept on talking while Wonwoo patiently listened. He had a very calm aura to him, almost non-existent.

"Oh which amusement park?" Wonwoo asked, although it didn't bother him a bit, he still was trying to make conversations with Eunbi.

"Magic amusement park with the pandas on the logo? My friend visited it and showed off to the entire class. I want to go there now!" Eunbi said a bit loudly, to fight the loud music playing on the background.

Wonwoo's smile lessened before he burst out laughing.

"What?" Eunbi asked to a laughing Wonwoo.

"That park?" he asked, widening his eyes.

Eunbi was confused.

"Yeah? What's funny?"

"That park isn't in Gangnam, it's on the outskirts," Wonwoo said, non chanteldy. As soon as the song stopped, so did Eunbi's confused smile. She looked down as she got disappointed thinking about why she hadn't been able to go, although the idea of transport did not struck her as fast.

 

Slowly, wonwoo realised that his words meant something more than a joke as he watched her look down sadly. 

"Uh," he trying to think of words as held his hands to her shoulder level, but never touching her.

 

"I'm sorry if my words hurt you," he said, concerned. He was talking to a 12 year old girl. What did he expect?

Her tears started rapidly falling onto her skirt as she rubbed her fists in her eyes and cried silently. Yoo Ha was so involved in the concert jumping while standing that she hadn't realise her little sister was talking to a stranger. Yoo Ha along with other fans were standing and jumping on their feet with lightsticks while Eunbi and Wonwoo were sitting on their seats and talking.

Wonwoo didn't know what to do. He was helpless with people crying. He awaited her to stop crying so he could defend himself but he kept quiet.

"Eunbi," was all he said, but she still didn't look up at him and continued to cry. Wonwoo watched her crying while being unaware of what was expected of him at this moment.

 

While walking back home, Eunbi looked upto Yoo Ha who was happily talking about the concert to her newly made friend in the concert. On the contrary, Eunbi was walking quietly thinking about what Wonwoo had said previously.

 

"Unnie," Eunbi finally said after the long silence she held in . But Yoo Ha was too busy talking to her friend about her favourite band. They were walking on the silent street already minutes away from the Music Hall after it got over.

 

"The amusement park is on the opposite side of town, isn't it!?" Eunbi angrily blurted out. Yoo Ha suddenly stopped talking to her friend as she looked at Eunbi in surprise.

"Is that why you're not taking me there?" Eunbi asked, to which Yoo Ha gulped. 

"No but," Yoo Ha muttered as she kneeled down to Eunbi's level. Her friend just watched a hurt Eunbi with wet eyes, unaware of what was happening between the two. How weird.

 

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Eunbi angrily uttered.

 

"We-ll, uh," Yoo Ha helplessly thought of an excuse. "Because we didn't want to surprise you, your birthday is coming isn't it?" Yoo Ha suddenly blurted out under in panic.

The night fell silent as Eunbi thought. She became happy again, thinking about how her family had planned this for her birthday.

 

"Oh," she said after a moment of thought. Right. Her birthday was two days before Summer ended and she didn't think the amusement park day was supposed to be that.

 

Phew. Thought Yoo Ha. Quick save.

"How did you find out?" Yoo Ha asked, wondering who must have told Eunbi about the location of the amusement park. Eunbi was fine before they went to the Music Hall and suddenly turned upset right after.

 

Eunbi smiled, "my friend told me" she said finally after thinking for a while. Sure, Yoo Ha hadn't seen her talking to Wonwoo in the dark of the Music Hall being a Kpop fan herself. In fact, nobody had.

 

Hello Readers! Thanks for reading! 

For all asking me if EunBi ever grows up, yes haha she does. Remember this is just flashback. Keep commenting and let me know what you think :) Let's interact!