First Catch

Crimes Against Coffee

 

 

                  “So, you got arrested on your first day of work, huh?”

                  Jungkook looks up, glancing at the man playing a half-hearted game of Solitaire with the remnants of a burrito lodged into his mouth. He assumes Hoseok’s not much more than a desk jockey, since he’s wearing a Hawaiian printed button-up with shorts instead of the usual shirt and tie the others wear. He comes to the conclusion that he must be the station’s secretary and finishes clocking in his timecard.

                  “Not a bad way to start,” Hoseok keeps talking even though Jungkook shows no sign of continuing the conversation. “At least you’ve made an impression on everyone.”

                  “Where is Detective Kim?” he asks, eyes shifting towards the detective’s empty desk.

                  “Uh.” Hoseok glances at the corner of his monitor. “You’ll have to wait for him, but he’s probably trying to take a right now. I’d give it another ten minutes, since it’s Taco Tuesday today.”

                  Jungkook takes his things and starts trotting across the room, unfazed about the fact that Hoseok is trailing after him on his office chair.

                  “So, tell me ‘bout yourself, junior.” Hoseok leans his elbow against Jungkook’s new desk. “Your name’s Jeon, right? Where do you hail from?”

                  “You are oddly reminiscent of my third uncle,” the intern says, offhandedly. “The resemblance is… uncanny, I suppose.”

                  “Uh.” Hoseok just stares as he starts unpacking his laptop. “Okay. How’d you do in police school? You’ve gotta be either really good or really bad to be sent here, a precinct almost in the middle of nowhere.”

                  Jungkook breathes in and replies with, “Jung Hoseok, aged 23, born in Gwangju, South Korea. Family consists of mother, father, and older sister. Graduate of the Chonnam computer science program. Hobbies include, but are not limited to: dancing, hip hop, programming, miniature figure painting, and skydiving. Blood type B. Currently single, motto is ‘I’m not looking for a relationship, I’m married to my job.”

                  Hoseok chokes a little on his own spit before uttering, “how do you know all of that?! Are you a stalker or somethin’?”

                  The intern just shrugs as Taehyung emerges from the bathroom, wiping his hands on the back of his pants. “Oh… You’re here,” the latter grumbles upon noticing that they are now desk partners.

                  “Hello, detective.”

                  “Did you flush the toilet this time?” Hoseok asks, leaning back in his chair.

                  “Yes mom, thank you for asking.” Taehyung nudges him away with his foot, sliding into his own seat afterwards. “So, uh. Intern. If we’re going to be working together, I think we should properly introduce ourselves? I’m—”

                  “I’m usually well acquainted with people who tackle me face-first into the snow while calling me an ‘incompetent ’,” Jungkook replies, reaching over his desk to grab the Rubik’s cube sitting on Taehyung’s. “But yes, I hope to learn much under your lead, detective.”

                  “—Kim Taehyung,” he breathes, leaving his mouth to gape open. “Um, okay. The sergeant wanted to ask for you as soon as you came in.”

                  “Alright.” Jungkook sets the fully-finished cube down before getting up and toddling towards the back wall, where the sergeant’s desk sits. Taehyung feels a bit empathetic when Yoongi doesn’t look up to acknowledge him right away, prompting a series of awkward coughs to get his attention. Nevertheless, he turns on his phone and starts recording the interaction.

                  “You have one week,” Yoongi says simply.

                  Jungkook shifts his weight from his left foot to his right, his hands folded neatly over his navel. “I’m—?”

                  “Jeon Jungkook,” the sergeant snaps. He hasn’t looked up from his monitor once and continues to smack at his keyboard. “Graduate of the University of Busan criminology program. Your blood type is A, and you are recorded to be five-foot-nine. However, that is a huge ing lie because you’re currently standing at a measly height of five-foot-eight.”

                  “I—” Jungkook blinks. “I rounded.”

                  Yoongi continues without so much as a breath. “You understand what being the new intern of the BTPD means, correct? While I understand that you’re a new cop, I don’t appreciate no backtalk from anyone. So shut your damn trap and do as you’re told, rookie.”

                  After reaching to fix his bangs, Jungkook offers a monotone reply. “I was going to say, I’m not sure if I completely understand what’s being asked of me. I have a week to do… what, exactly?”

                  The man stops typing to look up, his eyes striking the intern as cold as stone. “You have one week to memorize and perfect my personal cup of coffee. I want it sweet, but for god’s sake, not too much sugar.” He pulls out a red mug from a drawer and slides it across the desk.

                  Jungkook stares passively for a good minute or so, uttering a low ‘alright’ in response.

                  “If you so much as fail to meet my expectations,” Yoongi says, practically glowering. Taehyung decides that his video is going to be crap because he’s laughing so horribly and can’t stop shaking the camera. “You are to leave this station without report. Do you understand, soldier?”

                  “Y-Yes.”

                  “I SAID, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!”

                  “YES!” Jungkook bellows at an appropriate volume, which seems to give Yoongi some amount of satisfaction.

                  He rises from his seat and starts filing his papers. “Detective Kim!” he barks, and Taehyung is startled enough to accidentally drop his phone smack onto the floor. “Take the newbie with you on patrol today. I have meetings to attend.”

                  Taehyung frowns and gives the intern another onceover (Jungkook just stands there blankly with the mug in hand). “Why can’t you, sir?” he bemoans, “you’re probably just going to visit the kindergarten anyway.”

                  “I don’t have time, and it’d be good for him to experience what it’s like out on the field.” Yoongi starts making his way out of the station before adding, “and it is work, which I’m sure you don’t know how to do properly. Get off your !”

 

--

 

                  Call him petty or immature, but if Taehyung has to put up with this piece of fresh meat on the job, then he might as well have fun with him. While he’s in the patrol car waiting for Jungkook to get into the passenger seat, he deliberately starts driving before the latter can open the door. He manages a snicker or two before Jungkook manages to get in while the vehicle’s still moving, no reaction on his face.

                  There are chip bags and crumbs littered all over the car, prompting a sigh to leave Jungkook’s mouth as he puts his seatbelt on. “Where are we going?” he asks.

                  “We’re just going to go around observing things,” Taehyung replies, backing out into the street. “By the way, before I forget—I’ve gotta apologize for the commander. No one’s made him coffee in weeks, so for the past while he’s like my mom on crack.”

                  “I see.”

                  “He does the coffee thing to every intern,” he adds. “And not one person has lived past the first week, if you were wondering.”

                  “… I see.” Jungkook glances out the window; the town passes by them in blurry blocks. “Is there anything I should be aware of while on patrol?”

                  “Yes,” Taehyung answers gruffly, eyes trained on the road. “Always address your superiors with the proper honorifics.”

                  “Is there anything I should be aware of, detective?” Jungkook tries again with a little more sarcasm.

                  “In general, no.” When they pause at a stoplight, Taehyung reaches into the glove box for a couple butterscotch candies. “The town is reasonably small, so you could be on patrol for an hour and see all of it, end to end. There’s not much that goes on, really.”

                  “But?”

                  He smacks Jungkook’s hand when the latter tries to take a candy for himself. “But there’s always a handful of troublemakers that try to stir up every now and then,” he replies. “Probably out of boredom or something. I’ll tell you when we see one— they’re usually the same people. It helps keep our job, at least.”

                  Jungkook glances at the rear-view mirror and points. “Is that one of them?”

                  “Wha—?” Taehyung turns his head and spots a man, of the tall and slender type, spray-painting one wall of the local convenience store. From his perspective, the graffiti look vaguely like a misshapen blue . He curses and jumps out of the car, making a dash towards the offender as if his life depended on it.

                  He figures the best way to show Jungkook the aspects of being a police detective (read: how incomprehensibly awesome he is at being a goddamn superhero) is to make this catch and show him a real arrest. He almost grins of glee; knowing his intern will practically bow down at his feet and dwell in his absolute glory after today gives him joy beyond no other.

                  As he’s attempting the best deer impression he can with that sprinting, eyes trained on the graffiti artist, a car whips by him. It takes a sheer moment for Taehyung to realize Jungkook had taken over his cruiser, possibly reaching the culprit faster than he can pant.

                  “JEON JUNGKOOK,” he screams, nearly tripping over a fire hydrant. “THAT’S MY CAR!”

                  By the time he actually reaches the spray-painted wall, Jungkook already has the culprit on the ground, wriggling for dear life. “Hello, detective,” he greets calmly.

                  “Wha—I—” Taehyung takes a moment to catch his breath. “How dare—my car—you—”

                  The intern merely shrugs, even though he’s holding the culprit’s wrists together like it’s nothing. “I just chose the quickest route in order to obtain this arrest, I don’t know what you were doing.”

                  Taehyung starts gritting his teeth before sputtering, “listen here, you—”

                  “Before you get uptight about me using your car without permission,” Jungkook says, putting out his hand. “Will you let me borrow your handcuffs?”

 

--

 

                  “I didn’t expect you two would get any action,” Yoongi comments as they return to the station, graffiti artist in tow. “But Detective Kim’s shown you a real arrest, I assume?” He leans against the fax machine, his thumb to get at the pages in his arms.

                  “Actually,” Taehyung grumbles, pushing their culprit towards their desks. “The intern got this one.”

                  Yoongi looks up, visibly surprised. “Oh? I didn’t expect that from you, Detective. Are you getting soft?”

                  “No! I-I just—!”

                  “I was just in the right conditions to make the arrest, sir.” Jungkook pipes in, taking a seat at his desk. “Detective Kim was doing his job as expected.”

                  Taehyung just raises an eyebrow at him while Yoongi strides over, approaching the culprit with a smug look on his face. “Well, well. If it isn’t Kim Seokjin. What have you done this time?”

                  Jungkook glances at Taehyung. “They’re acquainted?”

                  “We’re all very acquainted with Mr. Kim Seokjin,” the detective sighs, grabbing some fresh paperwork. “This is his, what, thirty-first arrest?”

                  “Thirty-third,” Yoongi says. “Twelve charges of attempted theft, five charges of vandalism, one charge of public , ten charges of misconduct, and three charges of loitering.”

                  Jungkook looks up. “… That’s, um, thirty-one counts, sir.”

                  Yoongi turns to give him a pointed look. “Yes, that’s what I said.”

                  “No, you said—” the intern glances at Taehyung when he suddenly coughs and pulls a slicing motion across his neck. “… Ah. Yes, thirty-one.”

                  “We found him spraying s onto the side of Mr. Lee’s store again,” says Taehyung, shaking his head. “Poor Mr. Lee, with his second wife and three children.”

                  “Disgusting,” Yoongi sighs. “What do you have to say for yourself, peasant?”

                  Seokjin finally raises his head and snorts, “ da police.”

                  The whole office goes silent until Yoongi utters, “throw him into the cell.”

 

--

 

                  Jungkook walks over to stand next to Taehyung, who’s peering at Seokjin through the glass windows of the station’s detention room. “I looked at his record,” he starts. “And it states that Kim Seokjin has never been indicted once. He’s never been tried for court. If he has that many arrests, why don’t we put him in jail for good?”

                  Taehyung lets out a brief sigh and stuffs his hands into his pockets. “Have you ever watched Megamind?”

                  “… The animated children’s movie?”

                  “Yeah. There’s this blue alien guy and he’s the villain to the city’s beloved superhero and what not.” They glance at each other and Taehyung gets startled by the sudden eye contact so he turns to look at Seokjin again. “The villain spends his entire life trying to get rid of the hero, and when he does, he loses his life purpose. It’s kind like that; we’ll have nothing to do if we put Seokjin behind bars.”

                  Jungkook takes a moment to process the somewhat obscure analogy. “So… you’re implying that we’re the blue alien guys, then? Villains?”

                  “What?!” Taehyung sputters until the tips of his ears turn red. “No, of course not! Y-You know what I meant.”

                  “You meant that his crimes are just minor misdemeanours, and there’s no reason to jail someone who doesn’t permanently damage people and or property, correct?”

                  Taehyung sighs again while Yoongi can be heard from another room, yelling, “Officer Jeon! Make me some damn coffee or so help me, you’ll have no testes by the time I’m done with you.”

                  The detective snorts. “Better make that coffee right, Jeon. Or I won’t see you in a week.”

                  Jungkook offers him a grin while turning on his heel to walk out. “No, you’ll see me at your desk, wearing your uniform, detective.”