Under Cover

Under Cover - Myungsoo

The back doors closed one at a time as you began to feel your body go weightless. Your eyes slowly began to close to the gentle touch of Myungsoo’s hand in yours, his thumb brushing over your fingers as he placed his other hand on your arm. Opening your eyes slightly again, he brushed his fingers along your exposed arm.

“Keep looking at me” Myungsoo begged audibly yet you were only watching his mouth move and see that desperate gaze in his eyes.

Your eyes tried to stay awake as you gave him a soft smile before your eyes slid closed. The two EMT’s attending to you quickly rushed around the back of the ambulance, injecting you with several substances and then shocking you to restart your heart. Without the restart, they began compressions as your hand, now without Myungsoo’s, laid lifeless off of the bed.

Pulling up next to the Emergency room doors, they opened the two back doors as one EMT mounted the bed with you as he continued compressions on your chest. Blood continued to flow out of your open wound, soaking your white shirt and covering the backboard underneath you. Rushing you out of the ambulance and through the double doors, Myungsoo kept up with you before a nurse held him back as you passed through another set of double doors, for only authorized personnel.

Lifting his hands and running them through his hair, he wondered that small hallway over the hours that experienced doctors and nurses worked on your body. Shadows cast against the walls and moved with the time slowly slipping through your fingers. The sunlight was eventually replaced by moonlight as the fluorescent lights kept Myungsoo company in the isolated hallway.

Parting of the double doors caught his attention as a nurse approached him.

“She survived the surgery, if you wouldn’t mind filling out some paperwork for her, that would be most helpful and then she can get a room and you can go and see her.” The nurse informed him.

Nodding his head, he followed her over to one of the desks and began to fill out the information that was needed.

“Myungsoo” A familiar voice called from behind as Myungsoo looked over at his shoulder to see his manager approaching him.”I can handle the paperwork, why don’t you go and get yourself some food and then you can see her?”

Myungsoo turned around to greet his manager, thankful to see a familiar face. “Thank you, sir” Myungsoo bowed with respect as he handed over the clipboard and the paperwork to the manager. Shuffling off to the adjacent cafeteria, he entered with the sweet scent of food calling his grumbling stomach. Moseying feet carried him around, trying to find some food that would soothe his hunger, looking over the food, he grabbed a juice and his favorite candy before checking out.

Sitting on one of the bar stools in the cafeteria, his fingers slowly brushed over the bottle of juice, just as he did with your skin earlier that day. The chair next to him slid out as the manager sat next to him.

“You doing okay?” The manager asked Myungsoo while his worn, worked hands wrapped around a warm cup of coffee.

Unable to reply other than just a soft nod, Myungsoo slipped a candy between his pink lips as tears began to blur his view. The manager let him have his time and space, not knowing how much Myungsoo actually cared for you, what he felt for you.

“Did they catch the sniper?” Myungsoo questioned, hoping that some good news would life the grim thoughts running through his mind.

“They did, they also found his accomplices.” The manager informed Myungsoo as Myungsoo just nodded. “Her room number is 489 if you would like to go and see her.”

“Thank you, manager-nim” Myungsoo bowed thankfully, letting his eyes finally look into his manager’s.

Standing up, he gathered his things before quickly rushing off to find your room number. His hands slid into his pant pockets while he roamed the halls. Asking a few nurses here and there for directions to your room, he finally found the closed door as to which you were behind.

Taking in a deep breath, he pushed the door open while the soft beeps of monitors filled the quiet room. Your body laid on the bed, slightly raised as a hospital gown loosely covered your figure. Placing one foot in front of the other, Myungsoo entered into the room and made his way over to your bedside.

“Yiah?” Myungsoo whispered as his eyes wandered over your exhausted figure.

Pulling up a chair, he gently took your limp hand into his. Careful with all of the tubes and needles inside of you, he lifted your hand up and pressed a loving, tender kiss against your fingers. Taking this moment to admire your beauty, even in the worst of conditions, his eyes trailed down your facial features, watched your chest move up and down with each inhale and exhale.

The door opened as the doctor came in with a nurse beside him. Bowing to Myungsoo, the doctor grabbed the files that hung on the foot of your hospital bed. Watching the doctor thumb through the paperwork, he looked up from the file and gave Myungsoo a soft smile.

“_______ went through a lot today.” The doctor started as Myungsoo looked at the doctor in a confused manner.

“______?” Myungsoo questioned, repeating the name that was on the paperwork, your actual name, your agent name.

“That is her name isn’t it?” The doctor tilted his head, wondering if they mixed up patients or if it was due to some other error.

“Yes sir, it is” The manager appeared at the door as the doctor nodded, “She has been through a lot, the bullet punctured her heart and her lung. We are watching to see if her breathing is affected by this, and that there is no extra bleeding and that her heart heals well.”

The doctor continued to inform Myungsoo, while the nurse jotted down your vitals. Myungsoo slowly let go of your hand and clasped both of his together as other questions began fill his mind.

“Thank you doctor.” The manager thanked the doctor as Myungsoo was trying to process everything that had just happened.

\Waiting for the door to close behind the doctor and the nurse, the manager approached Myungsoo.

“Why didn’t you write down her name as Yiah?” Myungsoo questioned, standing up and gazing out the window that was in your room.

“It isn’t her name Myungsoo” The manager started, running his worn tongue against his chapped lips. “She was an undercover agent, she was sent here to protect Infinite from an external and potential threat. She was hired three months ago and sworn to protect Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Woohyun, Hoya, Sungjong, Sungyeol and you with her life. She was gathering information about the possible threat as she worked closely with you guys. She picked up on the threat long before her agency did. She also made sure that you all were safe. This wasn’t her fault, this wasn’t your fault, this was her job, her duty, something she felt like she had to do.”

“She lied to us…” Myungsoo glanced over at your body laying on the bed.

“She lied to protect you, just her name was different. If she had introduced herself with her real name she would still be the same person that she is today. Same personality, same actions, same sweet heart and demeanor. She didn’t change anything but her name for you guys.” The manager began to defend you, “On the contrary, she actually was more herself on this mission than she could have been in any of her other assigned missions. Please try and understand her side of this.”

Patting Myungsoo on the shoulder, the manager then left the two of you in peace. Myungsoo glanced over at you as he wrestled with himself, trying to decipher what was an act and which was true.

– Four months later –

Food lined the center of the table as beautiful plates sat in front of each chair. Seven men happily moved around the kitchen and dining room as laughter and bright voices filled the home. Myungsoo walked over into the living room and extended his hand out to someone.

“Dinner is ready, my love” Myungsoo whispered with a smile to you.

Slipping your hand into his, you carefully stood up as his brown eyes captured yours, his other hand wrapping around you to help stabilize you. Guiding you over to one of the empty places, he pulled out the chair for you and let you take your seat, before he took his next to you.

“Thank you, my kind boyfriend” You expressed your gratitude once he was seated.

Leaning over, he pressed a soft kiss against your cheek while his hand laid on your leg, letting his thumb brush over your thigh slowly.

Once everyone was around the table, Sunggyu stood up with his glass, raising the half filled glass into the air.

“I would personally like to thank ________ for protecting us, for being so noble with her actions as well as being the best secret agent we know! With all of your gratitude, we applaud you.” Sunggyu toasted to you as the members clinked their glasses in agreement.

Chatter happily spread around the table as all eight of you feasted on the banquet in your honor. Never has a mission been so fulfilling, so rewarding and left such an impact.