Chapter 2; Kyungsoo

Breathless

Kyungsoo:

I thumbed through her wallet, looking for her address. Curiously, I peered at her ID. 

Goo Yoora.

A pretty name, but it didn't seem to fit her.

I looked down at the sleeping woman lying on the hospital bed. I was told she had likely passed out from low oxygen. Even with an oxygen tube across her face, she was still attractive. Her long eyelashes created a shadow over her cheeks and I forced myself to look away, feeling captivated by her tender appearance. My eyes were drawn back to her after catching a glimpse of movement in her fingers. Her eyelids fluttered open and she drew in a long gasp, as though she had surfaced from the belly of a lake. She took a few more heavy breaths before turning her head to look around, trying to understand her surroundings.

"You're at a hospital. I brought you here after you passed out."

She sat up quickly and scooted her back against the headrest. Her lips parted and her words came hurriedly, her voice raspy and unpracticed.

"Who are you?"

I folded my arms and leaned back. The petite woman gazed up at me with confusion painted on her face.

"Did you know I was being targeted?"

I furrowed my brows and sat down in the chair next to her, signalling to a passing nurse that she'd woken up. I shrugged.

"Not necessarily. I just happened to see you running from a man down a dark street at night. It seemed like a dangerous situation, so I wanted to help."

She hunched forward and coughed, her thin body tensing, showing the effort it took for her to catch her breath. She waved a hand apologetically and turned her attention back toward me, looking me in the eyes. I couldn't tell if the unease I felt was because of her determined stare or if it was because of my unwelcomed interest in her. I had no intention of involving myself in the affairs of someone else, but something came over me in that place, at that time, to step in.

"Oh... Thank you."

I smiled. "Of course."

The sound of my strong voice following her quiet voice made me feel unconfortable and overly self-aware. I felt like a giant sitting in the chair next to her. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs, holding her wrists.

"Excuse me, are you Miss Goo's guardian?" I jumped in surprise at the soft tap on my shoulder. I stood quickly and turned to face the doctor.

"Ehm. Yes. I'm the one that brought her here.", I said as I bowed.

He smiled politely and nodded. He pulled his clipboard up to his chest and flipped through the papers, stopping on the last page.

"These are the discharge instructions for her. She should be fine with some rest. Please don't let her overexert herself as it seems she has weak lungs."

He turned to the girl on the bed, his gentle smile and patient demeanor was warm.

"Miss Goo Yoora, I have records that show you've been prescribed a rescue inhalor by a doctor here. Make sure you use it any time you feel like you're having a hard time catching your breath. Okay?" She nodded and the doctor gave me her discharge papers. "You're free to leave now.", he said as he walked away.

I watched as a nurse removed the oxygen tubing from Goo Yoora's face and offered her a hand to help her get out of bed. Something inside me stirred as she leaned on the nurse, accepting her help with a kind smile.

"Would you like me to take you home? I wouldn't feel right if I sent you home on your own after what just happened." 

I hated the way she made me feel. I felt drawn to her, I felt like I needed to take care of her. I wanted to know more about her, even though I didn't deserve to be close to anyone. Her sweet smile directed itself at me, and I wanted to run to her, but also away from her. It was the first time I'd felt so conflicted since I decided to become Choi Jooyoung's underling.

"Thank you. That's very thoughtful of you."