Chapter 1

Two Timid Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“He is what?!” I asked a little too loud making the other customers of the coffee shop look at our table. I bow my head to apologize for my rude behavior.

 

 

 

 

 

“Like I said, Jiyong is coming back.” Bom said, taking a sip of her coffee.

 

 

 

 

 

Bom is my best friend. We, together with Seunghyun, have been friends since elementary days. Eventually, Bom and Seunghyun becomes a couple. They are the only friends I have but I’m happy and contented with them. I couldn’t ask for any more than them because they accepted me for who I am.

 

 

 

 

 

Okay, so this is the part where I tell you that I used to be fat. I mean real fat. I weighed one hundred and ninety pounds which was more than both of my parents and brother. All you can see in my closet are sweatpants, hoodies, and T-shirts which the size have three X on it.

 

 

 

 

 

But tell you what, I never got conscious about my body nor got ashamed of it. I never gone into diets nor did I exercise and I didn’t pray to God to miraculously shed my extra weight. It was then before entering high school when my mom and friends insisted that it’s time to lose some weight. It is not that they don’t like fatty Dara anymore, they are just worried about my health and for my future.

 

 

 

 

 

So after going on a diet and slaving over gym sessions for three years, I entered my senior year with almost half of my original weight gone.

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh! And Seunghyun said that Jiyong will transfer back to our school.” Bom continues while my eyes are bulging out as I count my remaining days on earth.

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong and Seunghyun are best friends but the two of them are total opposites. Kwon Jiyong is a monster, a reincarnation of a devil, he’s….ARGH! He bullied me relentlessly since we were in elementary until junior high. He went to the states three years ago due to certain circumstances and now he is coming back.

 

 

 

 

 

“But why suddenly? Why now? Why would he transfer in the middle of semester?” I asked but Bom only shrugs her shoulders indicating that she too didn’t know why.

 

 

 

 

 

Well, .

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Sunday night, the day Jiyong is set to arrive. The day that will make my life a misery… yet again.

 

 

 

 

“Oh noona! Is it true that Jiyong hyung is back?” My oh-so genius brother blurted out in the middle of our dinner.

 

 

 

 

I glare at Sanghyun but he just sticks his tongue out at me. What a kid! My mom puts down her chopsticks then clasp her hands together. I can see in her facial expression that she is delight by the news. Oh my God… here its goes.

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh really? We should visit the Kwons tomorrow, right yeobo?” Omma said. Did I mention that my mom and Jiyong’s mom are best friends?

 

 

 

 

 

“I wish I could honey but I got work tomorrow. Or you could go with Dara instead?” Appa suggested.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What? NO! I don’t want to.” I rejected a little too obvious for my liking.

 

 

 

 

 

“I mean… I have classes tomorrow so I can’t.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hmm… Then are you free today sweetie?” Omma asked.

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, I have this exam tomorrow so not really…” I tried to give my best excuse.

 

 

 

 

 

“No, you haven’t! You said your exams are done since last Friday.” Sanghyun stated in a matter-of-fact tone. If my parents are not in front of us, I would’ve murdered my brother.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good! I need you take the cookies I baked to the Kwons. I would’ve done it myself but I need to do something tonight. Besides, you need to catch up with Jiyong. You didn’t see each other for three years.” Omma said.

 

 

 

 

 

“But omma… we’re not that close.” I replied and she just snorts in disbelief and chuckles.

 

 

 

 

 

“You two were so adorable when you are still kids. You look so cute together. That boy could just never leave you alone.” Omma reminisces fondly as I struggle to recall the hell I had been put through.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After I help my mom washing the dishes, I plop myself down on the couch. I was checking out my instagram when I heard my mom called me again to the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here. I already packed the cookies. You can bring them now to the Kwons.” Omma handed me a paper bag.

 

 

 

 

“Omma… Can Sanghyun go instead? Please?” I beg.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter