Looking Up (At You)

Looking Up (At You)

Kyungsoo liked to keep score. Not that Chanyeol knew he was doing it of course, but he had kept score for every time he had managed to sneak up on the bigger man. He didn’t really know if he was just too quiet or if Chanyeol was never paying any attention, but in the two months they had lived together, he had scared him eighteen times. Today marked number nineteen when Chanyeol fell over the back of the couch, dropping his peanut butter and jelly sandwich onto his favorite T-shirt.

“Dude, not cool.” Chanyeol bemoaned as he studied his shirt from where he was laying on the floor.

“Do you even pay attention to anything you don’t have to look down to see?” Kyungsoo asked him peering down at him from the back of the couch.

“Is there anything worth seeing down here?” He asked looking around himself as though he were looking for something.

Kyungsoo grunted and smacked Chanyeol’s foot before leaving the room and subsequently Chanyeol, to his own devices. could clean his own shirt.

XxX

Jongdae didn’t really understand the reasoning behind it. People expected him to be mean and everyone was surprised to find that he was a fairly nice guy. He knew it was the stereotype for people his height, so he couldn’t really blame them for thinking that way. But Jongdae had never cared about things like that. Sure, it was annoying when he couldn’t reach something and it more often then not embarrassed him to have to prove he was of legal drinking age whenever he went out to the bar with his friends, but hey, that’s life. He was dealt the short card and he could live with that. What he couldn’t live with was how blind people were to Yifan. Somehow the taller man had convinced everyone, excluding Jongdae, that he was anything short of the spawn of Satan.

Okay, maybe that was stretching it a bit. Maybe he was just raised by demons or something, but the other man was surprisingly evil. And as Yifan’s roommate, Jongdae was the only one to see his true colors.

“We should spike it.” Yifan suggested looking at the four jugs of blue punch Jongdae had made this morning.

“You can’t spike the punch for an office party.” Jongdae chastised the older man. Not that Yifan would listen.

“Why not?”

Jongdae didn’t really have an answer to that, the party was outside work hours and it wasn’t like they weren’t legal. But he also didn’t fancy the idea of getting fired if things went South.

The punch was his responsibility after all.

“You hesitated, I’m spiking it.”

“No, you’re not!”

XxX

Kyungsoo pushed a chair over to the counter grumbling as he had to stand up on it to reach the top of the shelves. Chanyeol strikes back with a certain kind of evil subtlety, that could be admired, if it wasn’t so damn annoying. His revenge came in the form of Kyungsoo’s snacks ending up on top of the cabinets and far out of the smaller man’s reach. He wasn’t even sure Chanyeol could reach up that high, but apparently, he could. It was an unfair advantage and Chanyeol knew it. For Kyungsoo this was more like mountain climbing.

Chanyeol pinched his sides from behind causing the smaller man to yelp and clutch the bag of popcorn to his chest. He had to sit on the counter to keep himself from falling off and he could hear Chanyeol’s cackling laugh and he walked down the hallway; victory in hand.

He would find some way to get back at him later.

XxX

“Don’t spike the punch, Yifan.” Yifan whined as his imitated Jongdae’s voice. “It would be a bad idea if people had fun, Yifan.”

“You are the lowest.” Jongdae replied in a whisper as he shot his roommate a glare.

“And this is the most boring office party I have ever been too.” He was right, barely anyone was talking, some people were even still on their computers doing work, because hey, even that was more fun then standing around in a room full of people who aren’t speaking to each other. It felt like someone had died. The atmosphere was too stiff.

Maybe it would have been better if he had let Yifan spike the punch, but then again, he also might have been jobless and that didn’t sound like a fun option either. And Yifan didn’t really need to know he was right anyway. His ego didn't need to be inflated any more than it already was.

“It’s not that bad.”

“I’ve seen happier faces in nursing homes.”

“LOWEST!” He repeated in a harsh whisper. “And quit being so damn salty about everything. I can literally feel myself drying out next to you.”

“Sorry, I was under the impression you were already a prude.”

Jongdae had to stand on his tiptoes to smack the other man, but it was kind of worth it.

XxX

Chanyeol hugged Kyungsoo from behind resting his chin on the smaller man’s shoulder. Kyungsoo had spent a vast majority of the night completely ignoring Chanyeol after his stunt with the snacks. Right now, he was perfectly content sitting on the couch with the book he had bought the last time he and Jongin had gone out. Or he was content until Chanyeol slid in behind him, long legs pressing in on either side of his thighs and arms wrapped around his abdomen to pull him back against his chest.

“I’m still mad at you.” Kyungsoo replied with a no-nonsense tone, not bothering to put down his book.

“I love you?” Chanyeol offered sheepishly.

“Go away.” He grunted.

It was meant to sound more harsh then it did, but the comment lacked it’s usual bite and Chanyeol must have noticed because he only pulled the other man in closer. “I’m sorry. I really love you.” He said again kissing the edge of the smaller man’s jawline. And how could he stay mad at that?

Kyungsoo leaned his head back on Chanyeol’s shoulder and let out a content sigh.

XxX

Jongdae stopped by the market on the way home, only because he knew for sure there was no food in the apartment and he didn’t want to go home just to leave again. Normally he wouldn’t take Yifan to the store with him, since Yifan tended to buy unnecessary things, but he also didn't want to have to go out of his way to drop the older man off. In the end he brought Yifan with him and shortly after entering the fairly crowded market, the taller man had disappeared with his own shopping basket. He completely expected Yifan to fill his basket with entirely pointless items and meet him up by the check out, like the giant child he was. He was proven wrong, however, when Yifan found him in the produce section and began clinging to his arm like he had just found a lost puppy.

“Why are you doing this to me?” He demanded pulling Jongdae’s beanie off his head. “I was convinced I would never see you again!”

“Dude chill, it’s a super market, not a raid.” Jongdae replied shrugging him off.

“I know, but how was I supposed to recognize you with a hat on. You know I only recognize you by the top of your head.”

Yifan was smirking.

Jongdae was unimpressed. “Was that a short joke?”

“You should stay with me, it’s probably easy for you to get stepped on in large crowds.”

Jongdae yanked his hat out of Yifan’s hand and walked away. They ended up leaving empty handed because at this point he was a mixture of embarrassed and angry, and he swears that his friendship with Yifan is going to give him a complex.

XxX

Kyungsoo always knew when his neighbors were home, because, well, they weren’t exactly the quiet type. They probably fought more often than an old married couple. He had some sympathy for his neighbor. He understood the plight of having a difficult roommate. He suspected that it would be impossible living with someone like Chanyeol if they weren't dating. He knew for a fact though that his neighbors were not dating, yet. But it was only a matter of time. They had been tip-toeing around it since before Kyungsoo had even met either of them.

“We could smash their faces together.” Chanyeol suggested turned up the volume of the television to better ignore them. They were both laying on the couch, their feet brushing each other playfully and Kyungsoo’s head laying comfortably on his boyfriend’s chest.

“They’ve been at it more often lately. I give them a week and they’ll be smashing on their own.”

“You’re starting to sound like, Jongin.” Chanyeol warned with a chuckle. “Okay, I’ll take that bet. I give them, by tomorrow.”

“Now you sound like Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo shot back.

“What? That much is going to snap hard and fast. BAM!”

Kyungsoo laughed.

“Also, Yifan told me he was going to make a move on Jongdae tonight.” Chanyeol admitted.

“So now you’re cheating!” Kyungsoo accused poking his boyfriend in the side hard enough to make him jump.

“Hey all is fair in love and war.” He answered seriously.

Kyungsoo slapped him on the chest.

XxX

Jongdae was getting angrier the longer he stood here yelling at Yifan, but the older man had never taken him seriously when he was mad. It wasn’t until the comment: “Sorry, I can’t hear you from down there.” That Jongdae truly snapped. Maybe if he wasn’t so damn flustered he would have done something logical, like punch the other man, or tackle him to the ground. Anything would have been less embarrassing then standing up on a chair to yell with his hands cupped around his mouth. “Can you hear me now, Prick?!”

He knew he looked ridiculous, and Yifan knew it too because the taller man had started laughing. He was about to get down and just give up, maybe look for a new roommate and a new job because he wasn’t sure he could face this man ever again, when he was pulled down into Yifan’s arms.

“Whoa! Yifan, put me down!”

“God, you’re so cute.”

Jongdae huffed at that. Yifan finally let his feet touch the floor but he didn’t release the younger man. Instead Yifan kissed his cheek and nuzzled into his neck.

“W-what are you doing?” Jongdae asked trying to shift away from the touch.

Yifan only tightened his grip. “Cute and naïve. Why do you think I offered to be your roommate? Out of kindness?” He snorted.

“If you are living with me just to get in my pants, you really are the lowest.”

“Yeah but, are you going to tell me no?” Yifan waited but Jongdae stayed quiet. “See, it all worked out in the end. But hey, at least you know I’m an before getting involved with me.”

“You’re much prettier when you shut up.” Jongdae replied standing on his tiptoes to kiss the taller man. At least Yifan was quiet now, and he was a really good kisser. So that was a bug plus.

Maybe it wasn’t so bad being roommates with the tall after all.