Chapter 2

Water Under The Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Taekwoon came to, the first thing that he recognised even through his muddled vision was a mop of blond hair and it went without saying that it belonged to Jaehwan — he noticed that he was worried even through his golden mask; Taekwoon could vaguely hear him asking how he was feeling and if needed more time to rest. "No," he rasped, propping himself up from the sofa that he had been resting on with Jaehwan's aid. "How long was I out for...?" Taekwoon asked, forgetting even the fact that the latter had given him a watch so he could keep track of the time. "Is it over...?" He added immediately after, hopeful that he would not have to go back to the ballroom hall where the sea of masked attendees were mostly gathered.

Still, even with Taekwoon's forgetfulness, Jaehwan enlightened him, "You were only out for a while. And no, it's not over yet. Wouldn't you want to find out what the 'main event' is? You'd be sitting next to N, the last man that I've introduced you to — You do remember that at least, right? N? Pandora?" He stressed on the last name, a gentle smile on his lips. Jaehwan carefully reached out for Taekwoon's right hand despite his weak attempts on pulling it away. "I have gifted you a watch so you could check the time. This is not just a mere accessory like a necklace, bracelet or an earring. It actually has a function, so wouldn't it be better to remember to use it?" He chuckled whilst tugging at Taekwoon's shirt cuff to reveal the golden watch that he had been referring to.

Although no matter how much Jaehwan chatted with him or , Taekwoon had been long lost in their conversation the moment that he heard the name 'Pandora' come out of his mouth. The first thought that came to his mind was his memory of her black embroidered veil and her mask decorated with flowers. Taekwoon recognised her somehow and that was why he started to feel dizzy and needed to see Wonsik, whom Jaehwan referred to as 'Ravi' because apparently, that was his name during 'nights.' Taekwoon, himself, did not understand how he was able to recognise Pandora considering how she was well covered by both her veil and mask and that she was at a considerable distance from where they were standing earlier on. He cannot even recall what happened; all that he knew was that he had a sinking feeling in his stomach, thinking that he recognised her —

"It should be starting soon," Taekwoon heard Wonsik's familiar deep voice all of a sudden, finally becoming aware of the presence of another person in the room. He let his eyes flit around to search for him and once he found him by the door, Taekwoon came to realise that he was actually reminding Jaehwan and not him. It was not like he was interested or even a little bit curious as to what the 'main event' was anyway — not right after seeing the person who could possibly jog back his memories. However, knowing Jaehwan and his plans for him, he doubted that he would allow him to pursue anything or anyone without his approval. Taekwoon did not understand why things had to work that way even though he knew that he owed Jaehwan a great fortune for taking him in. Surely there were other ways to repay his kindness, but living under someone else's almost rules was something that Taekwoon could not just get accustomed to. His skin had practically been itching to go against Jaehwan and his authoritativeness, but the rational side of him would hold him back and convince him that he only needed to make use of the 'charity' help while he still could not walk properly.

"We'll be there soon," Jaehwan dismissed Wonsik with a smile lingering on his lips, gesturing at him with his hand to leave the room for now, but it seemed like he was distracted. Noticing the latter's lack of interest to his response, he followed the direction of his gaze and his eyes landed on Taekwoon who was preoccupied with searching for his walking stick.

"Here," Jaehwan said that drew Taekwoon's attention. He held the said walking stick with one hand, nodding at him to go and take it. "It was over at this side," Jaehwan explained while pointing his thumb towards his left. A wide smile had spread across his face and the latter immediately turned away after snatching his walking stick from his grasp.

"Thank you," Taekwoon mumbled, his frowning face somewhat relaxing after having been given his walking stick.

Soon after he had fixed himself up, walking stick on one hand and a mask over his face, Jaehwan escorted him outside of the room with Wonsik waiting and holding the doors wide open in consideration of Taekwoon. Wonsik bowed his head down as the two passed and had shut the door behind them. "You know where to go," he told Jaehwan, not lifting his head just yet. "If ever Leo-ssi experiences anything unusual, please do call for me and I will be at your service."

"No need to be so polite, Ravi," Jaehwan chuckled, waving his hand at him again so Wonsik would raise his head. "And..." He turned to Taekwoon once again, noticing how the latter was glaring at the railing in front of them, but he figured that it was actually the floor below them where all the noise was coming from that was bothering him. Jaehwan did not appear surprised from his aversive reaction since they did come from a soundproof room and straight off after stepping out, there was a boisterous casino in the level just below them. "Before the noise starts to get to you, let's head on to the other building, shall we?" He asked Taekwoon who was already rushing towards the elevators at the end of the hall, leaving only Jaehwan and Wonsik by themselves.

"How are you going to make him do it?" Wonsik inquired softly, following behind Taekwoon with Jaehwan on his side.

Jaehwan smirked. "No need to worry," he answered briefly before he skipped ahead of him and went after Taekwoon. "It might just come out naturally."

 

 

From what Taekwoon heard from Jaehwan's rambling, the so-called 'main event' would be at a place called auditorium. Besides the real main event, there would be a short theatrical performance during the first half. According to Jaehwan, an auditorium was a place where a lot of people would gather to watch something at the front — the stage — he said. And while there are other events that could happen on a stage, the short performance that they would be seeing was apparently an acting event; actors would be acting out a story that may or may not have happened in real life. The premise was already sounding like a bore and Taekwoon did not bother to hide it when he rolled his eyes. What changed his mind, however, was when Wonsik told him, before he left ahead of them to join Sanghyuk, that the special thing about the performance that they would be watching soon was that it was a musical. He described it to Taekwoon as another acting performance except that the actors would be singing as well. It piqued Taekwoon's interest right away as he loved to listen to the music that Jaehwan would play on gramophone at times.

Looking around them, Taekwoon saw some familiar faces — or more like, their masks — that he met earlier on when Jaehwan introduced him to them. However, none of their 'night' names ever stuck to him — not that he would want to remember anyway. He thought that he would just have to rely on his immediate companion to remind him whom he was speaking to if ever he finds himself stuck.

Before he could wallow deeper in his thoughts, some of the masked staff led them towards a narrow hallway, opposite the crowded part where most of the other guests were accumulated and lined up behind tall, closed doors. Taekwoon could only infer that the other masked guests would be seated at the main seating area while others would be situated at the balcony. As for them, like Jaehwan told him beforehand, he figured that they would be headed towards their own box because they were being thoroughly checked for their golden passes. Jaehwan had both of theirs while Wonsik had his and Sanghyuk's. There was also no mistaking that only special guests were allowed to be at boxes since the quality of their attire, masks, and jewellery were more than enough to show off their wealth an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter