Chapter 1

Water Under The Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"This does not taste good at all..." The crown prince groaned, pushing away his plate further away on the table. It almost slid off, but his guardian managed to block it with his hand. "I just do not understand why I must keep eating these everyday!" The crown prince continued to whine, kicking his feet underneath the table. "Why can we not eat the animals? For what use are they there for if their meat is not eaten by us? What about the fishes? I have heard plenty of stories about how the fishes in the water taste really good! How come the adults are not letting me eat such delicacies? Is this my punishment? Must I wait until I become of age to be able to eat like they do? This... Do you think this is fair, Bin?"

His guardian blinked a couple of times as he was caught in a daze. It was a relief that the crown prince had not pointed it out, otherwise he would not be able to explain how he had been staring at the crown prince's beauty all this time — "I... I think not, Your Highness," he answered right away, after his realisation, "But I must tell you... There is a reason why Your Highness had not been served the food that he desires..."

The crown prince frowned once he heard what his guardian had to say about his complaints. He knew that there was not much that the latter could do, but he felt that his guardian could have at least told him the reason instead of beating around the bush. "Bin," the crown prince commanded, "Explain in detail what this reason might be and I shall expect a good answer from you."

His guardian swallowed, eyes flitting around the room with obvious unease. He had known the crown prince his entire life and he was well aware that he would not drop the subject unless he hears a satisfactory answer. When he lifted his gaze again and met the crown prince's, he said, "Even adults themselves, I, myself, included, have not been able to taste the food that Your Highness desires. It had been years since the gods have taken fire from humans. And as Your Highness knows, the whole kingdom is currently experiencing drought." As he noticed the change in expression on the crown prince's face, confusion etched all over him, he continued his story, "'Fire,' if Your Highness had not heard before, is —"

"I know what fire is," he had been interrupted, the crown prince's words said in haste and anticipation, "Why did the gods take fire from us? You mean to say that even if I were to rub two rocks right now, create some spark to ignite fire, there would be nothing?" He scoffed, "What a load of nonsense! I daresay that these are mere excuses from the adults because they want to punish the future king while they still can!" The crown prince slammed both of his hands on the table and then, he rose to his feet. "Once I become King, I would have a feast prepared — only for myself and for everyone to see and stare with envy!"

"But I only speak of the truth around you, Your Highness," the crown prince's guardian still tried to argue, "In your entire life, when had you ever seen fire? What does fire look like in Your Highness's eyes?"

With his questions, the crown prince was brought to silence, his eyebrows drawn together. "Then why have the gods taken fire away from us? What heavy grudges must th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter