Up All Night

Between our Couple Shoes, is a pair of Baby Sneakers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next time Namjoon was very rudely woken that night, was half an hour later. Seokjin was shaking him awake, lips trembling, fingers wringing, eyes wide awake, and hair going every which way.

“What’s the matter, Seokjin-ssi?” Namjoon groused; his voice husky.

With fervent eyes, Seokjin sat down beside the boy and chattered. “I just went to check up on her and her diapers wet again.”

And as if to justify the claim the silent almost demonic buzz of the baby crying travel into the room. Namjoon groaned before he settled back into the mattress. Muttering more to himself than Seokjin. “Just change her diapers, then.”

“I don't know how to!” came the garbled response of the elder. And Namjoon cursed the day he decided to take the pair in.

He moved out of the bed in the most lethargic manner and moved towards the living room where the noise was coming from. Miho was lying in the baby carrier, crying her eyes out. Namjoon was seriously considering investing in a pair of earbuds. The elder followed behind him as Namjoon bent down to hold the girl in his cradled arms.

“Okay,” Namjoon began, placing Miho on the iron board nearing the coat rack. “Watch carefully, Seokjin-ssi.” He then proceeded to change the girl’s diaper. Seokjin watched with utmost interest and focus and Namjoon wouldn’t have been surprised is he pulled out a notepad to take down notes.

After Namjoon was done, the elder heaved a sigh and with a shaky smile admitted. “That’s pretty easy.” Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly as he moved to pull Miho to his chest, tutting the now calm crying as he rocked her gently.

Namjoon wordlessly stumbled back into his bedroom.

 

***

 

Fifteen minutes later, Seokjin once again welcomed himself into Namjoon’s room. “Namjoon-ssi…” Namjoon simply looked at him through hooded eyes, waiting for the elder to speak. “I think we need to feed Miho. Where do you keep the milk?”

“Usually I keep it in the toilet but I decided to go wild this time and kept it in the fridge this time.” The man bit out in the most sarcastically dry manner he could.

Seokjin ignored the jab with a roll of his eyes and crouched beside the man’s face on the floor. “Do we warm the milk? How hot should it be? How hot is too hot? I don’t think we even have a milk bottle!"

Namjoon just stared at the man in front of him for a while. He huffed a tired sigh and sat up cumbrously. “Let me check it up online.” He stated, reaching around to the bedside table and pull out his phone from the charger.

“Ah! Right!” Seokjin exclaimed, getting to his feet. “Why didn’t I think of that?”

The younger man simply ignored the question and got of out bed, walking out into the kitchen as he skimmed through the article on how to feed a baby from a bottle. The instructions were simple and he recited them to Seokjin as he pulled the milk out of the fridge.

“Okay. So, it says to simply pour the milk into a saucepan and warm it till tiny bubbles appear.” He pinched his fingers on the screen to zoom at a particular section and continued. “And then to turn the stove off and then pour into the bottle. And then check it on the back of your hand to make sure it’s not too hot.”

Seokjin stood beside him, leaning against the countertop with Miho in his arms to look at the phone. “Do you have a baby bottle?”

Namjoon looked up with a start because Seokjin was suddenly just too close. The hairs at of the back of his neck rising at the man's warm breath next to his ears. “N- no." 

Seokjin hummed under his breath for a minute while the milk simmered and smirked at Namjoon once an idea seemed to have crossed his mind. “Do you have a dropper? I saw a couple of beakers in the other room..." 

“I don’t…” Namjoon muttered, unsure. “But my roommate does.”

And that is how after warming the milk for Miho, Namjoon and Seokjin sat for almost an hour, feeding the girl warm milk through a medicine dropper. Of course, the sterilisation process for the droppers had taken another half an hour.

 

***

 

At three forty-five, just as Namjoon was close to losing himself in the abyss of calm, Seokjin bulldozed into his room again. Thankfully he was whispering this time. A Miho in hand.

“Namjoon-ssi…” he mumbled next to Namjoon’s ears. And when Namjoon jerked awake, proceeded to reason with him. “Miho in her diaper.”

And of course, Namjoon got out of bed.

This time he asked Seokjin to hold her hands while he wiped her soiled bottom. Cleaning her with a kitchen rag proved to be a task in itself as Miho kept squirming and Seokjin kept letting go of her arms. “I don’t want to hurt her!”

“You’re not gonna hurt her by holding her a little tighter! Just keep her still for a while, would you!?” Namjoon shot back, “if she keeps moving like an earthworm I’ll get her on my hands!” And just like bad luck that came after breaking a mirror, it happened.

Miho kicked her legs sharply at the taller man’s hand while he was distractedly arguing with Seokjin, and Namjoon’s hand landed straight into the yellow faeces sitting in the middle of the soiled diaper.

A demonic, satanic scream issued from the younger man’s throat that echoed the apartment as he held his soiled hand out in front of him. Shaking it vigorously in the air. Screaming and whimpering at the same time as he held it at the wrist with his other hand. 

“Aaaaaaargh!!!”

Seokjin jumped at the sound and slapped his hand over the younger man’s mouth, whisper-screaming himself. “Ssshhhh!!! Don’t yell! It’s just a little bit of faeces!” 

Namjoon, looking offended on a personal level, and shoved the dirty hand close near Seokjin’s face and howled at the man. “Why don’t you have a facial with it then? It’s just baby poop after all!”

Seokjin scrunched his nose at the smell and pushed away from the filthy hand. Holding back a gag reflex, he announced. “Fine! Let’s switch!” Namjoon grumbled under his breath as he walked into the kitchen to wash his hands. Or cut them off. He was still deciding. And Seokjin moved to take Namjoon’s place.

After fifteen minutes of torture and utter struggle, Miho had been cleaned and clothed well and tidy. And Namjoon wanted nothing more than to slam his head into the toilet bowl.

 

***

 

It was five thirty in the morning and Seokjin once again barged into Namjoon’s bedroom, having an almost terrifying crack-up of “Namjoon-ssi she wet her diaper again!” 

To which Namjoon had replied, rather irritated by now, “then ing change it for her, would you!? I need to be up at eight tomorrow for a ing meeting but you ing keep having panic attacks every time she so much as moves a hand out of place!”

And Namjoon watched Seokjin simmer down into a pouting version of his former self. Curling into himself due to embarrassment. But the younger man simply grumbled under breath and turned away on the mattress. He’d regret what he’d said in the morning, but for now, Namjoon wanted nothing more than to just go to sleep.

Seokjin didn’t come to him again that night. And Namjoon almost felt bad.

 

***

 

Namjoon groaned as he sipped his morning coffee, scrunching his nose at the sight before him. Seokjin was sitting at the very end of the love seat in the living room. He had his legs pulled up and an awake and giggling Miho resting on his knees. The fact that despite staying up the entire night the previous night the man still looked like Zeus out of bed only served to make Namjoon scowl all the more. Not to mention the cute, pouty faces Seokjin was making at the girl.

He rolled his eyes and mused his hair tiredly as he ignored the cooing sounds Seokjin made at the girl, walking into the bathroom. Half an hour later, all fresh and prim, Namjoon found himself in a much more amiable mood. He walked into the living room to find Seokjin kissing Miho’s fingers and giggling all the same, as Namjoon fastened his tie around his neck.

“Um… ” he began. “Seokjin-ssi… ”

Seokjin turned to him and smiled tiredly as he chided gently, “call me Hyung, please.” When Namjoon sat down in front of him with an embarrassed sigh, the man adjusted Miho on the cushion beside him. “Look” he began, “we’re going to be living together for at least twenty years, right?” He didn’t wait for Namjoon to confirm. “I think the faster we get comfortable around each other the better. Right?”

Namjoon bit his lips as he nodded. “R-right. Hyung.” The name brought a smile to the man’s lips and he turned to the girl beside him. Namjoon took note of his puffy eyes and ruffled hair. He huffed blearily and shoved his face in his hands as he muttered. “I don’t think we can do this, Hyung. We can’t stay up all night to change her diapers. I feel like I’ll faint any minute and I have a meeting to attend in a couple of hours.”

The elder frowned at the man’s words as he got to his feet and plucked Miho off the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter