Reading the Will

Between our Couple Shoes, is a pair of Baby Sneakers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Namjoon sat through it all. Stoic and almost corpse-like. Staring at the twin coffins as the pastor called everyone to pray, to speak their final words. To cry and say goodbye. He sat through the final showing when everyone stood to finally part with the once alive two. And he sat staring at the ground under which his sister and her husband now lay long after the crowd had cleared. Ignoring the words of consolation. A single tear betrayed him as he got to his feet and walked away. 


***


Seokjin stared blankly at the LCD in front of him. The moving images blinking back at him, making little to no sense. An air hostess bent down next to him, asking him something with a charming smile. But Seokjin found himself unable to hear her. It was like vacuum had settled around him. Numbing his senses. He simply shook his head and looked away. Hurting her feelings was the last thing on his mind. The polaroid of his brother and his wife clutched tightly in his hand. Another of a sonogram. Seven months old foetus.


 *****


"Mr Kim, this was your sister's request. I'm sorry but you have to sit through it start to finish if you want to get to the part about Miho's custody." The lawyer sternly reminded Namjoon as he turned back to his papers. Ignoring his client's grumbling, the man continued reciting the finer points of his sister and her husband's will. "Since Mrs Kim and Mr Kim shared all their assets under one name, all their assets will be distributed under just one article."

Namjoon rolled her eyes and crossed his legs, settling deeper into the chair across. "Whatever, just hurry up with it."


The man leant back leisurely and in a professionally clipped tone, explained, "I can't start the process of opening the will until all parties are present."


"... all parties?"


But his intended question was answered before Namjoon even voiced it. When a knock resounded in the corporate office and a head popped in, Namjoon looked away to be greeted by a man who looked flushed and embarrassed yet confident all the same.


"Ah, Mr Kim." The lawyer regarded the man, standing up and ushering him in. He then turned to Namjoon and spoke to him directly, ushering towards the newest addition. "Mr Kim Namjoon, this is Mr Kim Seokjin. Mr Kim's brother." Turning to the man, the lawyer continued the introduction, "Mr Kim, this is Mrs Kim's brother."


They shook hands as Seokjin muttered a quiet, breathy "Hello" to Namjoon before turning to the shorter man and smiled with a grimace. Like it hurt to turn his lips. "Min Yoongi."


Yoongi huffed a sigh and patted his hands over the table. "I'm sorry for your loss, Hyung." He quickly cleared his throat after and turned to the papers in front of him. "Shall we start?" Without waiting for a reply, he began.


***


"I will first read out the items and assets your siblings left to you under individual ownership, after which we will move on to the articles that were placed under joint ownership-"


"What do you mean joint ownership?" Namjoon cut him short, scrunching his eyes in question.


Yoongi pushed his glasses higher up his nose as he explained, "there are certain things under the will that your siblings had decided to leave under both your names. A sort of joint custody." 


"Hyung did that?" Seokjin asked from beside him and Namjoon glanced at the man from the corner of his eyes. He'd almost forgot he'd been there. "Why would he, though?"


The paler man sighed as he pointed at the papers. "Mr Kim, I really would like to elaborate and to do that I would need to continue reading this will." He regarded both his clients before he continued. "They had made it around five months ago. At the time, I doubt they even knew they would... I mean, they hadn't given it much thought. They had actually wanted to amend the document after Miho's birth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter