What Memories Remain

What Once Was

It hurt. It crushed Youngjae to subject his love, his best friend to that kind of pain. Youngjae loved him.

Regardless, he couldn’t allow Daehyun’s infatuation to go much further. Youngjae’s recent doctor’s visit left him shaken. He was sick, and getting sicker. Daehyun could see it, Youngjae was sure. He was always tired and irritable. Some days, Youngjae could hardly move off the couch. His lover stayed though, and took care of Youngjae as best as he could. Daehyun could see through Youngjae’s facade.

He was falling hard. They both were, and Youngjae felt it best to break it off quickly, before either of them got too serious. He felt his heart lurch at the memory of Daehyun’s face, twisted and contorted with disbelief and heartbreak.

“I don’t want you anymore.”

“Wh-what…?” Daehyun squeaked, hands shaking.

“I don’t love you anymore.”

Youngjae’s tears welled up in his eyes at the memory, teeth scraping at his bottom lip. No amount of steady breathing or distractions allowed Youngjae’s mind any solace though, as he soon gave in and crumbled.

He was on the floor, coughing and sputtering while his body began to quiver and tremble. Clawing at the pain in his chest, Youngjae’s sobs turned into howls. He clutched at the bed next to him with his free hand, pressing his face into the side of the spring mattress. His eyes closed as he felt himself getting lightheaded, the pain in his chest still prevalent and raging.

When his wailing quieted into muffled sobs, his breathing slow and shaky, he picked himself up off the floor long enough to fall back onto the bed. His muscles ached and his head pounded, the urge to close his eyes and succumb to sleep becoming difficult to fight.

His cellphone sang aloud a song he recognized all too well. The first song Daehyun ever sang to him pulled him out of his daze long enough to glance at the I.D. he expected to see.