What Once Was

What Once Was

“I don’t want you anymore.“ 

His harsh words continued to echo in Daehyun’s mind like an ominous chant. He ran his fingers through dark locks, trembling. All the things he wanted to say were trapped behind the growing lump in his throat as he swallowed hard, acting as if he could swallow it down too. 

Daehyun tilted his head back in an attempt to withhold his tears. However, the boy’s efforts were fruitless as they began to streak down the sides of his tanned face. His bottom lip caught between his teeth was the only thing keeping his sobs at bay. He held his breath, afraid he would break down even further. Somehow, Daehyun felt that allowing himself to cry would make his situation more real.

Eventually, he gave in with his face in his hands as the tears pooled at the base of his palms, catching his sorrow as his body shuddered. Daehyun began to taste salt as they ran down over his lips and into his mouth, unable to wipe his tears away– or maybe he just didn’t care. 

The framed picture of the two playfully poking at each other sat on Daehyun's bedside table. A painful reminder of what once was. Daehyun had half the heart to scoop it up and throw it at the wall. Instead, he sat there, painfully glaring at it through his teary vision as another sob tore its way from the back of his throat.

"I don’t love you." 

More of his former lover’s painful speech tore through the flesh of Daehyun's heart, leaving nothing but sorrow and despair in its wake. He honestly believed that this boy was the one. This boy was the one was he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

Youngjae must’ve had different ideas.