My Jolly Sailor Bold

A Mermaid's Song

Mi-young lounged on the couch as she held the television remote in her hand, flipping through the channels as she endeavored to find something interesting to watch on the machine. She had become quite adept at operating the device, but to her displeasure the novelty of the creation had worn off and she had found that a great many programs on the television were not worth watching. With a yawn, she flipped off the television and sat up straight as her gaggle of housemates came parading down the hall, evidently heading for the front door.

“Where are you going?” she inquired as she propped her head up on the back of the couch, watching them with curious blue eyes.

“Practice,” Chanyeol clarified as he hopped across the carpet on one foot, attempting to slide his other into a shoe. He bumped into Kai on accident, causing the latter to tumble and knock over a lamp situated on a small table. Luckily, D.O.’s cat-like reflexes kicked in, and he grabbed the glass object before it could shatter on the ground. As the man gave Chanyeol an icy glare, the redhead laughed sheepishly and muttered, “Oops. Anyway, for our band, y’know?” Mi-young immediately perked up at the possible opportunity to see the boys perform.

“Oh, can I come? Please?” she begged. “It’s so boring without you all here. Please, I’ll be good!” she pleaded. As her pleading gaze swept across the group of idols, her eyes came to rest on Baekhyun. He frowned slightly and looked away, rubbing the back of his neck as he considered her request.

“Agh, I don’t see why not,” he mumbled finally after his companions stared him down expectantly. With a cry of glee, Mi-young vaulted over the side of the couch to wrap her arms around Baekhyun. “Hey, hey! It’s not that big of a deal! No need to get mushy!” he cried as she nuzzled his arm affectionately and showered him in gratitude. His face went bright red, and his friends laughed at him as he squirmed in the mermaid’s arms. Mi-young was barely listening. How exciting! I get to see the boys sing and dance!

It was a short car ride to the studio where the boys practiced and planned their performances, and Mi-young’s gaze was all over the place as she followed the boys into the spacious building. It seemed to be a quite simple structure, with multiple large dance rooms with wooden flooring and lined with mirrors to perfect all manners of performing arts. Mi-young wondered if any other groups like Baekhyun’s practiced here, but she didn’t get to bring up the opportunity to ask before they settled into a room and dropped their bags against the wall. “All right, Mi-young,” Baekhyun instructed her as she stood around wondered what to do and where to be. “Will you work the stereo for us? All you have to do is press this button,” he smiled as he set a small, boxy machine next to her and pointed at a button. “This makes it play, and if you hit it again, the music stops.”

“Okay! That sounds easy enough!” she nodded, happy to be of assistance. Baekhyun patted her twice on the head before jogging to the center of the room, where the boys were already gathering in some form of rough formation. She sat down cross-legged next to the stereo, patiently awaiting Baekhyun’s signal. He smiled at her and gave her a thumbs-up, and she obediently pressed the appropriate button. Immediately the machine kicked into life, blasting out sound waves of poppy music. Startled that such a small device could produce such volume, she jumped back slightly. It was then that Kris began singing, and Mi-young became enthralled by the sound. She watched with slightly wide eyes as they all began dancing, moving in unison across the floor. Their voices rose and fell, sometimes all of them and sometimes just one of them, but the shifting melody was more harmonic than Mi-young ever could have imagined. They are… Really, really good… she admired silently as she analyzed the movements of their feet, their arms, their bodies; she absorbed every aspect of the performance she could, simply marveling at their technical skill. Not to mention the singing- it was so powerful that she found tears rising to the corners of her eyes, moved by the lyrics of the song. The words flowed seamlessly out of them, and she felt like she was being brought into another world, where only she and they existed, a story trapped in its own time. She was so entranced that when the song ended and the boys fell still, panting, she was still gazing at them.

“What is it, Mi-young?” Sehun asked playfully as he caught his breath. “At a loss for words?” Blushing lightly as she returned to reality, Mi-young hit the button as the next song began to play.

“I just… Wow. I never expected something so wonderful,” she admitted shyly. The boys all blushed and muttered modest words, kicking their feet across the wooden floorboards and waving off her compliment. She was at a loss for words, unable to explain how their simple practice had moved her so. “You perform like this all the time?” she asked.

“Yeah, pretty much,” Luhan shrugged as he stretched an arm over his head, attempting to work out his muscles. “Though this is just a practice. An actual concert is on an entirely different level. Everything has to be perfect,” he remarked. Mi-young nodded in understanding, in awe. Who knew that humans had such creative talent… she marveled silently. Of the many legends humans had created about mermaids, one was true: they loved music, especially singing. It was not an uncommon occurrence for the streets of Mi-young’s home world to be alive with many voices, singing in the many languages of the world. Merfolk had their own language and songs, of course, but there was simply something about the music of humans that was magical, entrancing. Many of the fabled mermaid sightings had arisen from mermaids attempting to learn the songs that the sailors sang aboard their ships and in the docks, having been attracted from underneath the waves by their melodies. Even now with the strict laws governing interactions with humans, many a mermaid still ventured close to the shore in an attempt to learn new songs and to experience the evolving wonder that was human music.

“Do you really like music, Mi-young?” Suho inquired, pausing to down half a water bottle in one go.

“Oh, yes!” she answered without hesitation. “I adore it. One of my favorite things to do is sing,” she answered proudly. She had quite forgotten in that moment that she was supposed to be pretending to have amnesia, and swallowed nervously when the boys gave her queer looks, and Baekhyun shot an alarmed glare in her direction. “I, ah, wasn’t really reminded of that until I just saw your performance, though! I suppose that’s why I haven’t been doing it!” she explained quickly.

“That makes sense. You do hum under your breath a lot, though,” Lay noted, and she was grateful that the boy rose to her defense. I wish I could just tell them rather than keeping up this lie… It’s so exhausting walking around on eggshells all the time, she thought with a quiet sigh. She then jumped as Tao sidled up to her and threw an arm around her shoulders.

“Why don’t you put that voice to work then, Mi-young?” he suggested with a grin. “Sing us a song you know!” Mi-young went bright pink, oddly embarrassed about the notion of singing in front of the boys.

“Oh, I don’t know…” she mumbled evasively. “I’m not that good, really, surely not as good as you all…” That was a blatant lie, as Mi-young was known throughout her kingdom for her singing voice, and had been in many a performance herself. Even so, she felt quite small compared to the professionals, as if even she was unworthy to grace them with her voice. “It won’t be anything like what you all just did.”

“We aren’t asking you to dance. We just want to hear you sing!” Xiumin insisted impatiently. They all began clamoring to hear her sing, and though he said nothing, even Baekhyun stared at her with a mildly curious expression. They’ll never let me hear the end of it! She frowned silently, then raised her hands to hush the yelling boys.

“Okay, okay! Give me a second to think of one,” she whined before closing her eyes and searching through her hazy memories for a song to sing. Her mind landed on one her mother used to sing, one she had picked up in the days of her youth swimming the Caribbean, in the age of pirates and discovery. The memory was hazy, as it had been many years since Mi-young’s mother had sung to her, but she was able to recall the old sailor’s song:

Upon one summer's morning, I carelessly did stray,

Down by the Walls of Wapping, where I met a sailor gay,

Conversing with a bouncing lass, who seem'd to be in pain,

Saying, William, when you go, I fear you will ne'er return again,” she began quietly, her voice rising and falling gently like the waves. Instantly the studio room was quiet as the boys all stared at her, intently listening as she recited the song.

“His hair it does in ringlets hang, his eyes as black as sloes,

May happiness attend him wherever he goes,

From Tower Hill, down to Blackwall, I will wander, weep and moan,

All for my jolly sailor bold, until he does return.” Her voice began to rise, ever so slowly, her words more confident as the memory returned to her.

“My father is a merchant—the truth I now will tell,

And in great London City in opulence doth dwell,

His fortune doth exceed ₤300,000 in gold,

And he frowns upon his daughter, 'cause she loves a sailor bold.

A fig for his riches, his merchandize, and gold,

True love is grafted in my heart; give me my sailor bold:

Should he return in poverty, from o'er the ocean far,

To my tender bosom, I'll fondly press my jolly tar.” She opened her eyes slightly as she continued to sing, finding that the boys were similarly captivated as she had been with them. They just gazed at her with mouths slightly agape, and she could not help but smile, pleased with herself. She released the next verse, keeping her voice low and soft.

“My sailor is as smiling as the pleasant month of May,

And oft we have wandered through Ratcliffe Highway,

Where many a pretty blooming girl we happy did behold,

Reclining on the bosom of her jolly sailor bold.

Come all you pretty fair maids, whoever you may be

Who love a jolly sailor bold that ploughs the raging sea,

While up aloft, in storm or gale, from me his absence mourn,

And firmly pray, arrive the day, he home will safe return.

My name it is Maria, a merchant's daughter fair,

And I have left my parents and three thousand pounds a year,

My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,

There is nothing can console me but my jolly sailor bold.” As she finished, Mi-young could not help but think it ironic that she had chosen this song to sing. My heart is pierced by Cupid… she thought as she glanced at Baekhyun. My jolly sailor bold… She then became aware that the boys were still gazing at her, with lidded eyes and transfixed expressions. They were smiling slightly, almost giddy. “Um… Boys?” she asked quietly.

“What happened?” D.O. cried, jerking as if pulling himself out of sleep. The other boys reacted similarly, jumping and blinking in confusion. I’ve heard that humans are exceptionally sensitive to mermaid singing, like it’s magical to them… Perhaps I accidentally put a spell on them? she frowned in worry as they regained their bearings. They seemed to recover just fine, however, and then began pouring praise onto the mermaid.

“That was so pretty, Mi-young!” Tao grinned as he ran up to her and shook her should lightly. “I knew you could do it! Wow! You should be a professional!”

“Definitely! I’ve never been so entranced by a song before,” Kai agreed.

“It’s almost dangerous,” Baekhyun remarked with a curious look at her, and she made a mental note of his unspoken warning. No more singing in front of the boys…

“Thank you,” she smiled, playing off the compliments. “I guess I underestimate myself. Still, I can’t dance worth anything, so I’ll just leave the professional performing to you all!” she told them kindly. As they began pestering her for another song, she forcefully excused herself under the guise of heading to the bathroom. When she made it out into the hallway, she exhaled deeply and leaned against the wall. I can’t believe I had forgotten about my own mermaid magic, she thought as she stared down at her hands. Beyond that were human legs, but she wasn’t human- not really. Only in appearance. Everything is getting confusing… I’m acting less like a mermaid and more like a human… If I do go back… Will I really be the same? She thought worriedly. She was pulled out of her thoughts by the door to the studio room flying open, and Suho and Seuhn came stumbling out. “What…?” she blinked.

“Mi-young, you’re so pretty…” Suho gushed as he gazed at her through hazy eyes.

“Sing us another pretty song? Please?” Sehun begged, his eyes equally as unfocused. Oh no, could these two be more susceptible than the others? They’re still under the spell!

“Suho, Sehun…” she said quietly, taking a few uneasy steps back. “You’re not in the right state of mind right now. Please, go back inside, and…” her words were lost, however, as the two began arguing with one another.

“I saw her first! Back off!” Sehun barked angrily at his friend.

“No way! I saw her first!” Suho argued.

“How can you see her when you’re blind?” Sehun snapped back and poked Suho right in the eye. The latter recoiled, howling in pain as he held his eye. Sehun giggled and began encroaching on the helpless mermaid. “Don’t worry about him, Mi-young… I can be your jolly sailor bold…” he giggled, as if ecstatic. It was then that Mi-young took off running, unsure what to do with the two spellbound boys. She heard them cry out and charge after her, shouting.

Oh, Baekhyun is gonna be so mad at me! she lamented as she rounded the corner. Sehun and Suho were surprisingly fast, however, and came careening around the corner after her. Wailing, she hardly looked where she was going and crashed straight into a janitor, upending the mob bucket he was pushing and spilling soapy water all over herself, the janitor, Suho, and Sehun. As they all ended up in a heap, she felt a familiar tingling in her legs. Oh no! Oh no! she thought frantically as she began to drag herself around the corner. Meanwhile, the two boys sat up, groaning in confusion.

“Ugh, how did we end up out here?” Suho frowned as he rubbed his head.

“I dunno. Why are we all wet? Hey! Mi-young!” Sehun cried as he spotted her as she attempted to escape. Her legs began to glow, and she flopped onto her back, nearly hyperventilating as she watched the janitor raise his head and began to look around. Somehow understanding the situation, Sehun shouted “So sorry!” before grabbing the yellow mop bucket and dropping it over the janitor’s head. As the angry old man cursed at them and attempted to pull it off, Suho and Sehun ran to her side and grabbed her underneath her arms, dragging her around the corner just as her massive tail appeared and began flopping about on the tile floor. To their credit, they said nothing as they dragged her to the nearest door and pulled it open, shoving her inside before scrambling in after her. They pulled the door closed and locked it tight, but unfortunately their chosen hideaway happened to be a broom closet. They were all crammed in with an assortment of cleaning supplies, with Mi-young on the floor, Suho and Sehun pressed on either side of the wall, and Mi-young’s huge tail resting against the side of Suho’s face.

“It’s less slimy than I would have imagined,” he remarked as an effort to ease the tension, but she could tell from his expression that he was freaking out. Sehun just stared at her with an open mouth.

“Baekhyun is gonna be so mad at me!” she pouted aloud as she glanced back and forth between the two boys. Outside, they could hear the pounding footsteps of the angry janitor approaching.

NOTE: I do not own “Jolly Sailor Bold” or any of its renditions. Those right belong exclusively to its creator; I merely adapted the song for storytelling purposes.