Will of the Heart

A Mermaid's Song

Mi-young blinked in confusion at the little old lady perched in the door frame, smiling sweetly with her hands clasped together neatly as she chatted amiably with Baekhyun. She was an ancient-looking creature, with wispy white hair tied in a loose bun pinned with decorative pins, bags and wrinkles covering her skin, and a frail little body that Mi-young doubted could withstand a good gust of wind. When Baekhyun had finished talking with the old woman, he gently put a hand between her shoulder blades to guide the mermaid a few steps forward, smiling lightly.

“Mi-young, this is Grandma Lee. She’s our neighbor, and while we’re gone, she’ll be taking care of you, okay?” he explained to the bewildered mermaid. Earlier that week, Baekhyun had revealed to her that he and the rest of his eleven band mates would be going on a trip to perform a concert, but the mermaid had opted to remain home under supervision. Mi-young frowned doubtfully as she surveyed the woman, quite unconfident in Baekhyun’s selection of a babysitter. “I’ve explained your situation to her, and she’s very glad to help you while we’re away. It will only be a week, but I want you to be very good for her and not cause her any trouble, okay?” Mi-young immediately comprehended the boy’s hidden meaning, and nodded firmly, though she was less confident on the inside. Accidents always seemed to happen to her at the most inopportune moments, and she feared that her bad luck would strike once more while she was under the care of the ancient neighbor.

“It’s very nice to meet you,” Mi-young mumbled as she hesitantly shook Grandma Lee’s hand.

“You’re such a pretty young thing. It’s about time Baekhyun got a girlfriend,” she mused with mischievous eyes, cackling when both Mi-young and Baekhyun went beet red and began spluttering nonsense. She waved a hand dismissively and shuffled into the house to perch herself in the armchair in the living room, chuckling amiably. “I’m only teasing! She’s too good for you, Baekhyun!” she laughed as she pulled out a roll of a thick, stringy substance and a pair of sticks. Mi-young watched in fascination as the woman began to knot the string together, while Baekhyun sighed in exasperation.

“Thanks for the observation,” he mumbled before nudging Mi-young gently with his elbow. “Are you sure you’ll be okay? We can bring you if you’re that uncomfortable, you know,” he offered quietly while his house mates began striding out the door, laden with bags and chattering happily to one another. Mi-young shook her head in refusal.

“I’ll be just fine!” she assured with a happy smile. Truthfully, she would want nothing better to accompany her friends to their musical performance, but she felt like she would only be a burden to them because of her “condition.” She didn’t want to add any more to the stress they were under. “Me and Grandma Lee will have lots of fun, so go do your best!” she beamed up at him. He chuckled softly and patted her on the head before shooting a thumbs-up to the knitting old lady.

“Take good care of her!” he called before giving one last parting glance to the mermaid. Outside, the bus honked impatiently, and so Baekhyun scurried out of the house before he could say another word. Mi-young waved with a sad smile as the boys were borne away by the gigantic vehicle, then she sighed and forlornly closed the door to glance at the old woman. Curious once more at just what exactly the old woman was doing, she promptly marched over to sit cross-legged at the base of the armchair.

“What are you doing?” she inquired. Without looking up, the old woman chuckled lightly and began rocking back and forth in the chair, her sticks clacking together rhythmically as she worked the strange fabric.

“It’s called knitting. It’s what old ladies like me do. We make things out of yarn,” she explained with a gesture to the roll of yarn. Mi-young picked up the roll of thick string, squeezing it and admiring its plushness.

“What kind of things?” she asked as she gently replaced the yarn to its proper place, looking up at the woman in slight admiration.

“All kinds of things- hats, socks, gloves. Would you like something, young lady?” she asked kindly, and Mi-young nodded happily and settled back to watch the woman work her magic. They began to talk, and Mi-young learned a great deal about the old woman’s life- her childhood, her career path, her recently deceased husband, her children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and her retirement to Daeyang. Mi-young found her life quite fascinating, and when it was obvious that there was something the mermaid did not understand, she was generous enough to patiently explain before continuing on with the story. “It must be so sad, to not have any memory,” the old woman sighed when she finished her long tale. By this time, Mi-young had a knitted cap pulled over her head, much to her enjoyment.

“Yes, it’s sad, but if I hadn’t lost it I would have never met Baekhyun and the others!” she smiled. Though she did not have amnesia like everyone believed, it was comparable enough to the unfamiliarity of the human world. Now that she thought about it, her own memories of her undersea life were growing hazier the more time she spent above the waves. She remembered her parents and her siblings and her home, but the details were murky, cast in a shadow that obscured some parts of her mind. I’m forgetting, she thought with a concerned frown. “I wish my memory would come back, though,” she murmured.

“Well, having no memory isn’t necessarily worse than having one,” the old woman sighed, setting down her knitting to stare longingly out the window. “I remember everything about raising my children and even my grandchildren, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve made any new ones. They just don’t come around anymore, so I’m stuck with the ghosts of the past.” Mi-young found the prospect quite sad. She must be so lonely, she thought with a pang of pity for the old woman. Beaming, she reached up to grab Grandma Lee’s hands firmly.

“We can make new memories together!” she decided. “There are lots of things you could teach me, I bet. Treat me like one of your grandchildren!” she beamed up at her.

“Aren’t you the sweetest thing?” the woman laughed and gave Mi-young’s hand a gentle squeeze. Then, with a grunt, she slowly rose from the arm chair and began hobbling toward the kitchen. Curious as to what the old woman could be up to, Mi-young hopped to her feet and followed closely after to her. Humming as she began pilfering through the cabinets and refrigerator, she removed several ingredients and dishes to arrange them neatly on the counter. “My grandchildren always loved to bake with me,” she explained as she gestured for Mi-young to join her at the counter. The mermaid retrieved a small stool for the short old woman, offering a hand to assist her in stepping onto the tiny chair. “Thank you, my dear,” she sighed wearily before cracking her fingers slightly. “Would you like to help me? I always bake for the boys when they go off on their tours and concerts. They always love to come back to a treat!” she chuckled.

“Yes! I would love to!” Mi-young squealed happily. Upon the old woman’s instruction, she managed to locate a pair of aprons in a drawer and promptly maneuvered herself into the cooking garment. “Why doesn’t your family come see you anymore?” she asked as she began pouring various ingredients into a bowl under Grandma Lee’s strict directions.

“They’re busy with their lives, being successful,” she answered with a wistful sigh. “I always pushed them to follow their dreams, and they carried them away from here, into big cities and other countries. It makes me happy to see them prosper.”

“Yet, you miss them,” Mi-young realized, and the old woman nodded slowly.

“Yes, very much, but it cannot be helped. I am old, and they simply haven’t the time for me. Remember this, Mi-young,” she smiled suddenly up at her, patting her on the shoulder. “It’s important to follow your heart, wherever it may take you, but it’s also important not to forget where you come from and who you left behind.” After giving the sage advice, the old woman returned to the task at hand, but Mi-young found herself growing unsettled and ceasing all activity while the words bounced around in her mind. What I left behind… she thought with a frown. She hadn’t realized it, but she had grown so accustomed to life above the surface that her desire to return to the ocean had been waning. Follow my heart… It was clear to see that her desire to stay with Baekhyun was growing dangerously stronger. When the time came for her to return to the waves, would she be able to? Grandma Lee noticed her discomfort after a moment. “I see my advice struck a chord,” she smiled weakly. “What troubles you?”

“I… I like my life here,” the mermaid sighed in response, slowly lowering the bag of flour she was still holding in her hands. “Even though… It’s not my real life. I have a family, a home, that I left behind… When it comes down to it, I don’t think I’ll know how to choose when the time comes,” she frowned miserably. The thought of leaving the others, especially Baekhyun, was more painful than she had realized; yet, the thought of never seeing her home and family again was just as heartrending.

“Ah. I think I get it,” the woman laughed knowingly, and the mermaid glanced at her in mild surprise. “You’ve grown quite attached to that Baekhyun, haven’t you?” she asked with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, and Mi-young promptly blushed and cast her gaze to the floor in embarrassment. “Mhmm, just as I thought,” she laughed and returned to adding ingredients to their mixture. “That does make things a bit complicated, now doesn’t it?” With a heavy sigh, the mermaid nodded in agreement. “Well, dear, I can’t tell you how to choose, but I can tell you this: let your heart guide you, and everything will work out in the end.”

“Let my heart guide me?” she echoed with an unsure glance at the old woman. With a sage nod, the woman dipped a finger into the creamy mix to sample it before shaking a little more of an ingredient into it. She then shoved the bowl into Mi-young’s hands, ordering her to stir it with a wooden spoon. Still stunned, the mermaid obeyed and waited anxiously for an explanation.

“Just because you choose a different path does not mean you’re forgetting your roots,” Grandma Lee explained as she hopped down from the stool and shuffled over to the oven to press a few buttons. The machine kicked into life, heating up as Mi-young continuously stirred the batter. “Many people choose love, even if it takes them far from home, for in the end, love is the greatest joy of life. All I’m saying is to visit your mother every once in a while!” the old woman laughed happily and stood up on her toes to pat Mi-young reassuringly on the top of the head. “Besides, this house needs a little feminine touch. It’s hard talking to those boys about some things. They just don’t appreciate the wonder of nature and morning walks, and y actors,” the old woman winked at her. The mermaid found a smile creeping across her face, and she bowed gratefully to Grandma Lee.

“Thank you for the talk. It’s what I needed,” she smiled thankfully, and the old woman waved a hand dismissively as she plucked the bowl from her hands to check the progress.

“Perfect. You have talent, unlike your companions. Those boys are fun to have around, but they simply can’t function in a kitchen,” she laughed roguishly as she grabbed a cookie sheet and began slapping spoonfuls of the batter onto its shiny silver surface. Mi-young was delighted to the bowl clean while waiting on the delectable treats to bake, sitting on the edge of the counter while Grandma Lee continued to babble about the boys. It was clear from the way she talked about them that she clearly loved them. I’ll have to make sure Baekhyun invites her over more. She could use the company, and it’ll be so much fun! She thought with a small smile. Finally, the old woman’s sweets were finished baking, and Mi-young’s mouth watered as she impatiently waited for the circular treats to cool. When Grandma Lee gave the all-clear, she snatched one from the tray and shoved it into , melting from the deliciousness of the warm delicacy.

“Mmmm… What do you call these?” she asked as she shoved another into seconds after swallowing her first. Laughing at her enthusiasm, the woman began piling the dirty dishes into the sink, flipping on the water.

“Cookies, dear. You certainly hit your head hard,” she chuckled. “Would you give me a hand washing the dishes?” Mi-young almost choked on the cookie, and guiltily wiped crumbs from as she frowned deeply at her.

“I can’t,” she admitted sadly. She hated leaving the mess to the old woman, with how frail she was and how hard she had worked, but Mi-young simply couldn’t reveal her secret. Though she had grown to trust the woman immensely despite their short time together, it was still too much of a risk. “I’m, ah, allergic to the hand soap,” she lied meekly. After staring at her levelly a moment, the woman just shrugged and busied herself with the dishes. To make herself feel better, Mi-young decided to at least return the dried dishes to their proper place, though she had to repeatedly stop and ask where exactly their proper place was. She knows this kitchen better than I do! She must be over all the time, she thought in amazement. When they were finally done, Mi-young carried the plate of cookies into the living room and set them on the dining room table, while Grandma Lee returned to her spot in the armchair.

“Yes, I think you’ll do them all quite some good,” the old woman sighed happily as Mi-young plopped down on the couch. The mermaid blinked at her, confused. “The boys, I mean- especially that Baekhyun. I’ve already noticed the difference. He seems much happier, more relaxed, now that you’re around.”

“You think so?” she frowned doubtfully. All I do is stress him out.

“Oh, yes. Before it was ‘work, work, work’ with him. He seems to finally be enjoying life instead of being so concerned about his future,” she nodded, reminding Mi-young of his apology before. Am I… really making such a difference for him? The thought made a warm feeling glow inside of her, and she smiled widely as she snuggled into the couch. Maybe… I don’t have to leave when the fishing season ends… Maybe I can stay… with Baekhyun. As she sat in the room, watching the old woman knit and munching on a cookie, she hoped deep in her heart that it was possible.