Day 9: A Love Story

As Summer Turns to Fall

“Take heed, peasants, for you are looking upon the king of Twister,” Onew grinned triumphantly as he stood on the game mat with his hands on his hips and a confident sneer on his face. Key was lying face-down in the carpet, groaning at his quite shameful defeat at the hands of his friend. He had come second in all ten games, despite his repeated efforts to impress his girlfriend. “Another round, my subjects?” he announced with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

“Like hell! We're tired of getting our asses kicked!” Minho complained as he finished off a bag of potato chips and crumpled the aluminum bag to toss it aside. “Let's do something else.”

“Oh, but it was just getting good!” Onew whined, and the plastic mat crinkled as he plopped down cross-legged on it.

“No it wasn't!” Jonghyun snorted in derision. “It's only good to you because you’re winning!” he huffed before he looked over at Eun-Ae. “This is Eun-Ae's night. What would you like to do now, Eun-Ae?” he asked her. The young girl cocked her head to the side slightly as she pondered what to do. She and the boys had a lot of sleepovers when she was young and not riddled with cancer, so sifting through the various activities she used to do and determine what she could do in her present delicate state took some time. After a moment of consideration, she finally landed on a good idea.

“Oh! Do you remember when we used to build a pillow fort around the flat screen so it looked like we were in the movie theater?” she asked excitedly, and the boys all nodded eagerly before jumping to their feet and scrambling to the various closets around the house to procure all the spare sheets they could find. Meanwhile Eun-Ae hopped up and began removing the couch cushions and stacking them around the living room. A series of feverish footsteps and excited giggles alerted her to the return of the idols, who were sliding across the wooden floor in their socks while they carried bundles of sheets in their arms.

“Got it, got it, got it!” Taemin howled happily as he careened into the living room and promptly threw a sheet into the air. It unfolded rapidly in the air and draped itself over the various articles of furniture and couch cushions. Eun-Ae giggled as it fell over her, and she turned this way and that as she became enshrouded in the soft fabric.

“Whoa, where did Eun-Ae go?” Onew snickered like a father playing with his child. She could see the forms of her shadows beyond the linen. She giggled, then hurriedly covered to play along with the game. While usually a grown person would feel foolish at such a childish ploy, she found it quite enjoyable. She gasped as the sheet suddenly jerked, and then Key was underneath the sheet with her.

“There she is,” he purred softly before gently grabbing her chin and kissing her softly. It caught her quite by surprise, and she didn’t really have time to react before she melted beneath the intimate act. Oh, he's such a great kisser, she thought dreamily.

“Hey, lovebirds, if you don’t mind we have a fort to build here. I think you’re taking the phrase ‘build a fort out of sheets’ too literally!” Minho teased, making her finally come to her senses and blush. She and Key pulled apart, and he just looked disappointed while she was practically afire from embarrassment. Hastily turning her face away before the handsome boy could claim her lips once more, she scrambled out from underneath the sheet and tried to ignore her friends' giggles as she began grabbing pillows to fill their fluffy fort with. I like how smooth he is, but does he have to do it in front of the guys? It's so embarrassing! She pouted silently.

After a few more minutes, the kiss was forgotten and their pillow fort was fully functional. Eun-Ae found herself surprisingly excited at the notion of the childish game. Perhaps it was simply the nostalgia of it, or perhaps at this point doing anything at all with the boys was enough to make her positively giddy. Regardless of the reason behind it, a bright smile was plastered on her face as she wriggled her way through the tiny entrance to get into the fort, lugging her heavy oxygen tank behind her. Slightly breathless from the exertion, she plopped down into the menagerie of pillows and blankets with a heavy exhale, watching with a slightly red face as her cohort climbed in after her.

“It's a bit smaller than I remember,” Jonghyun remarked with a smirk as he sat up. The top of his head brushed against the top of the fort, pushing up the sheet a good bit as he looked this way and that.

“I think it's cozy!” Taemin grinned in delight as he flopped on his belly beside Eun-Ae. “Don't you think so too, Eun-Ae?”

“Oh, yes,” she laughed and grabbed a pillow to hug it. “I feel just like when I was a little girl and we would all pile in here and stay up late watching movies.”

“Well then, mission accomplished,” Key mused before stretching out beside her with a satisfied sigh. Just the feeling of his body beside hers made her nerve tingle and a blush rise to her face, and she recalled the precious night when she and Key slept together in the tent. It’s not like anything major happened- they only kissed a little- but it was still enough to feel self-conscious about. It had occurred to her how remarkably quickly her relationship with him was moving, and the uncertainty of what would happen next was simultaneously exciting and unnerving. I'm thinking too much, she scolded herself as the sound of the boys laughing at some unknown comment brought her back to reality. Onew grabbed the television remote to bring the electronic device to life and begin flipping through channels before finally landing on something he felt suitable.

Titanic? Seriously?” Jonghyun groaned as he flopped back and pulled a pillow over his face to express his great disdain for the blockbuster romance film.

“It's a wonderful movie! It won a ton of Academy awards and is a classic! You're just uncultured!” Onew huffed in response. “Besides, Eun-Ae loves this movie, remember?”

“Oh, yeah! I remember when she was little and she would always cry at the end,” Minho snickered.

“It's so sad! They just wanted to be together!” Eun-Ae cried in protest as they laughed at her expense. Truly, she was somewhat surprised that they recalled such a minor detail, but then again, maybe it wasn't so surprising after all. I guess there are things you remember about your best friends even when you don't see them for years. The group of young adults jeered back and forth for a while before finally agreeing to watch the movie, and with a mixture of irritated grumbles and excited whispers they crammed themselves underneath the blankets and settled into silence as the movie played.

“You know, I used to think Rose was foolish,” Key whispered in her ear suddenly, making her twitch. “I mean, she was engaged to a rich man who could give her anything in the world. I didn't understand why she would want to throw it all away to be with a man she had only just met.”

“I think a lot of guys have that opinion,” she chuckled underneath her breath, her eyes still glued to the flickering television screen. “Most women can definitely understand Rose's point of view. We all dream of love, and most of us can't imagine a marriage without it.” She turned her head to the side with a quizzical expression. “You said ‘used to,’ though. Does that mean you get it now?” she smirked. He had that lop-sided grin on his mouth again as he gazed at her in the dark, and it made her heart race.

“Yeah. Kind of,” he mused. “I guess you could say that I’m in Rose’s shoes.” That comment made her eyebrows creep up her forehead in mild shock. “It's like this- I don't know what will happen with us tomorrow, or the next day, or a week or a month from now. I could just put my feelings aside and fall for a girl who I knew would be there, who isn't sick and who could always give me what I needed and wanted,” he explained, and she blushed when he reached up to gently caress her cheek. “But that wouldn't make me happy, now. I love you, Eun-Ae, even if the ship we're on is slowly sinking.”

She hadn't expected something so profound from him, so all she could do is stare up at him open-mouthed. It was like he always knew the most romantic things to say, and yet those things also functioned to put her turbulent heart at ease. He knows all I think about is where this will end up, and he wants me to not worry so I can enjoy all the time I can. He really was self-sacrificing, and that realization made tears well up in the corners of her eyes. Is this what it's like to be Rose, to be faced with a love so powerful that death itself doesn't scare you? She did find that as time went on, her death seemed less and less frightening, as if it were just what was waiting at the end of her tragic tale. Maybe I’ll be like Jack, and go down in history as one of the best love stories ever, she thought wryly. “What are you thinking about?” Key smirked down at her, pulling her out of her thoughts.

“Nothing. It's just that the things you say makes my mind blank. I can't ever follow up!” she laughed quietly before pressing against him slightly. She was a bit daring after that sweet speech, and not even the fact that she was surrounded by the other boys could quell that adventurousness she was feeling. Key seemed to be under the same strange spell, as he began to lean down to press his lips against hers.

“Get out of the boat, Rose! You belong with Jack! With Jack, dammit!” Taemin suddenly screeched from beside Eun-Ae and jerked up, elbowing her in the back and totally throwing off the moment they had going. Taemin was too busy sobbing to notice the couple's ire, so Key jerked the pillow out of Eun-Ae's hands and smacked him in the face with it.

“Would you shut up? You’ve seen this movie a hundred times! You know she gets out of the life boat!” Key snapped hotly.

“Hey! You made me miss it!” Taemin cried as he pulled the pillow off his face and looked in dismay at the screen, and then he glared at Key and unleashed a counterattack. Key ducked the fluffy projectile, and it went sailing across the fort to peg Minho in the side.

“Hey! What was that for?!” he cried indignantly.

“Ooh! Pillow fight!” Onew cheered happily before promptly snatching up a spare pillow and jumping on a dozing and unsuspecting Jonghyun. The snoozing boy jerked as Onew landed on top of him and began beating him in the face with a pillow, until he recovered enough to shove him off and sit up with a glare.

“What the hell did you do that for? I was having a nice nap!” he roared before leaping forward to tackle Onew.

“Hey! You can't treat him like that!” Taemin cried and hurriedly crawled across the tent to come to Onew's aid.

“Look what you've started,” Eun-Ae laughed up at Key, then squeaked as she got a mouthful of feather pillow from none other than her boyfriend. “Hey! I’m handicapped; you can't do that!” she cried as she wrestled free.

“Oh, now you wanna be handicapped?” he teased, then he gasped in shock as she wrested the pillow from him and promptly smacked him on top of the head. Soon the tent was writhing as the six teens assaulted one another with pillows, and before long the weak structure collapsed on top of them from the strain. They all giggled as their vision was blinded by the thin fabric hanging over their heads.

“Maybe that's enough,” Onew mused.

“Hurry up! Fix it! Fix it! The music is getting dramatic!” Taemin wailed as he wriggled around in the sheet in an attempt to disentangle himself, but his panicking only served to do the opposite. Eun-Ae smiled as Key's head popped up beside hers, and he shook his ruffled hair slightly as he held the sheet above them.

“Well, that was exciting,” she snickered, but then she was silenced as Key once again covered with his own. It was almost magical, being covered by the soft sheet in the dark while the dramatic movie music played in the background as she kissed the man who had stolen her heart in such a short amount of time.

I won't ever let go. Her thoughts mirrored the hallmark phrase of the timeless tale of love and passion she had enjoyed as a child. She had never through that she would live such a beautiful and fleeting romance, but now that she was, she had to admit that it was both painful and awe-inspiring.

Even if I die, I’ll hold onto you. Always, she promised him silently as the long night continued to close in around them, and her time continued to grow ever short…

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Titanic. Those rights belong exclusively to its creators; I merely adapted it for storytelling purposes.