III

The Man in the Dark

The longer I paused at the crossroad to look after the black man, the more confused I got. It had been the man.
He was gone within seconds, but I was certain that I would never forget his face again. The way his eyes sparked in an almost non-human black, his expression totally emotionless. From what I could also sense, his body must had been one of the most muscular bodies I'd ever touched. Not really his physique, more that his skin had just felt so hard, almost like the concrete I fell on just a few minutes ago.
I was dumbfounded. I just couldn't get a grasp on the situation.

I must had stood there for a longer while, when a middle-aged woman carefully came up to me. I didn't look at her, though, my face still pointing into the direction the black man had vanished to.
"Excuse me, miss", the woman said kindly. "Do you need help?"
I turned to her and the look on my face must had been out of this world, for she shortly flinched.
"Help? Why?"
"I didn't want to bother. But there is blood..." She pointed at my back. Intuitively, I wanted to turn around to look at it, only to be hit my a sharp, almost unbearable pain coming from my hip and spine. I gasped in pain.
"Be careful! I saw what happened. I will call the ambulance!", the woman exclaimed while patting my arm and calling 119 with her free hand.
I waited.

The ambulance arrived shortly after, slowly laid me on a portable bed and boarded the van.
The ride was not long. My thoughts drifted off again.
When we arrived, I was transferred to the emergency care. After a little while, a nice-looking doctor came to me.

"Miss, can you tell me what happened?", he asked, his voice being a lot lower than I expected.
"Car accident...", I said nonchalantly.
"Can you elaborate?"
"The woman that called the ambulance said that she was almost hit by a car, but a man was able to push her off the road just in time", a nurse added.
"Where is the man?", the doctor asked her.
"He couldn't be found. He left the scene immediately."

After the doctor looked at my back, he said something to the nurses under his breath, sighed deeply and then turned to me again.
"One of your vortexes is unstable. If we don't go into surgery right now, it could turn into something really bad. One of the nurses told me that the ambulance found you standing up. Usually, this is something where people do not just get up. You are very lucky", he then said to me.
At this point, the pain hit me so hard that I was almost passed out. I just nodded numbly and hoped that it would be over soon. The nurses then proceeded to move the bed I was on into a surgery room to start the surgery.

 

When I woke up, I heard the medical machines giving off the typical beeps according to my heart rate and my fingers were all bandaged. I could also feel a tight bandage around my forehead. Over all, I was laying on the hospital bed on my stomach, making me feel ridiculous. I could see that it was dark outside, the busy lights of the city flickering behind the window. I slowly turned my head to the other side. As it seemed, I was sharing the room with an older lady that was in the bed next to me where she was knitting what looked like a scarf. It had a nice color; it was a deep purple.
I wanted to get out of this position, but as soon as I tried moving, my back reminded me that I was unable to. I groaned and quickly gave up.

"You just came out of the surgery. You should give it time", the lady next to me said. Her voice was calming and warm. I just looked at her, half my face squashed into the pillow. She continued knitting while she spoke further.
"The doctors are talking about what happened to you. It is very unlikely to fix an injury like yours as easy as they did today. They even said they found you standing up when the ambulance got there", she said and laughed upon the last part. "Do you remember what happened?"
I immediately liked her and aswered: "Yes, a car suddenly aimed at me, but a man saved me. I didn't know him though."
"Well, sometimes you don't have to know your guardian angel. But you sure had one today."

The next day passed by, I didn't move much and dozed off several times a day. They gave me a hell lot of pills so I couldn't really tell when I was awake or dreaming. I was sure that when I had this weird episode where I was getting it on with Seojoon was a dream though. Not only was he my ex, I also couldn't move an inch so I could mark that off my list of potentially real happenings. Nonetheless, it bothered me that I was at this hospital and I was still thinking about him. I had to let him go at some point.

It was later that night, or maybe it was early morning, but the lady next to me was sleeping. At least I thought she was, she was in the same position as she always was, only that her eyes were closed this time.
I was trying to get a little movement, my shoulders and knees were sore from being strained so much because I was on my stomach the whole time. As much as I could, I shuffled from left to right a little bit. I turned my head into the direction of the door. Nothing was happening. I was bored out of my mind.

Dozing off again, I could sense some movement in front of me. Drowsy and confused, I opened my eyes half-way, only before they shot wide open. In front of the door, the black man was standing, looking at me. In the dark, he looked even scarier than in daylight; his face was half in the shade, only his silhouette was clearly visible.
His look had something that gave me chills. In fact, it was not only chilling - I was scared to my bones. Paralyzed, the only thing I could do is to lay in my bed and look at him. I was basically helpless, tied to the bed with an injured spine. I figured that the lady next to me would be no better help in a situation like this.

The black man started moving. He walked towards my bed at a dead slow pace. Through the machines, I could hear my heart beat fasten. My breath got faster, then irregular. Right now, I was at his mercy alone. He could do whatever he want. I wanted to scream, but I also didn't dare. Sure, this man scared the hell out of me. But something kept me from screaming.

He came closer. I was surprised by myself, but I became calm just before he was standing right in front of me. My breath turned to normal, as he slowly bent down. He looked at me.

A gaze like this, I would never forget again. His eyes were as black as ever, but there was something in them. Something soft. His dark hair was falling over his eyes, he had light skin and he was dashing, truly dashing. He had a sharp jawline, straight nose and straight eyebrows, his angled lips softening his overall stern appearance a bit.
His lips didn't even twitch, but all of the sudden, I didn't feel threatened anymore. I just looked back into the black man's face, not able to tell what would happen.

He reached in a moment later, slow and steadily. His expression was the same, not a single sign of affection or friendliness. But he reached in and then, put his soft, cold lips on mine. He was gentle, but not careful, determined in what he was doing.
A few seconds later, he let go, slowly got up and walked out the door silently. I dozed off.

 

The bright sunlight woke me up that next day and I blinked through my half opened eyes. It was daytime.
I turned my head and looked at the knitting lady. The scarf was almost done by now.
Then I groaned loudly, remembering the scary and weird dream I had last night.
"Did you get a good night's sleep?", the lady asked.
"Ugh, not at all. I had the weirdest dream, and it seemed so real."
"Sometimes your mind fools you. You cannot always tell what is real and what is not. You should be careful from now on."
"Careful? About what?", I asked while squinting at her.

"Reality is not a dream. But dreams can be reality. The kiss you received last night, whether you see it as a dream or reality... dangers are lying ahead of you. Watch out, my dear."