Chapter Five

Polaroid Picture

I stood up, confused and surprised as to why she was here. We hadn't seen each other for about ten years, even though we kept contact for three years after she left. We lost contact after that, but I immediately recognized her.

"- You guys know each other ? My gaze went from Mia's face to Lin and Hyunwoo, seeing their confused expression.
 - We... we were in elementary school together, but I moved away during 2nd grade", stuttered Mia, her eyes still locked on me.
She hadn't changed that much. Of course she grew up a lot, but she still had that mischevious spark in her eyes. Her long hair was now in a blonde bob, and it suited her a lot. Her braces were gone, replaced by a glowing smile that lit up the entire room. She was even prettier than she was before.

"- You changed so much, she told me. I nearly didn't recognize you."

I didn't have the power to tell her how overwhelmed I felt by seeing her. Instead I took her in my arms for a welcoming hug, and she gladly accepted my embrace. She let go after a few secondes, but I stayed by her side, my eyes locked on her face. I still couldn't believe she was here. She couldn't be. She'd be gone for so long, I almost forgot about her. 

We sat down on opposite sides of the table, and ordered our coffee. I fell silent once again. First Wonho, now Mia ? Everything was falling apart around me, and I didn't know what to do. I felt so confused and lost, my heart couldn't stop its fast pace. I listened to their conversation without much attention, and jumped of surprise when I heard them call my name.

"- Hyungwon ! I think you and Mia should go on a walk, it's been a while since you've seen each other, you must have a lot to talk about", said Lin. It was obvious her and Hyunwoo wanted some time alone, so I nodded, and got up my chair.

I could see Mia was confused as well, but she understood after a few secondes. We simply walked away, still in silence. We were obviously awkward with each other, because of all the years we spent apart. We had so much to talk about, yet we didn't know where to start. We arrived at a fountain, and decided to sat down.

"- So how's uni going ? she asked, trying to start a conversation.
 - Good, good. I'm already starting my third year. I'm majoring in technology and game plannification, so I'm doing stuff I like. I'm with Hyunwoo actually, the guy you saw earlier, we're from the same major.
 - How did you two meet ?
 - Oh, I murmured, taken aback. I never really told anyone our story, so it's with a quiet voice that I answered her question. It was in middle school, we were in the same class. Those older guys stopped me in the corridor and asked for my lunch money, which I didn't want to give. They started to push me and I eventually fell on the floor. He saw everything and decided to help me. He was the only one who did something to stop the guys. He got beaten up too, that day. But strangely, after they left with our money, we just looked at each other and laughed. Blood was dripping from his nose and my mouth had a really strong iron taste, but we still laughed. Since that day, we never really separated. We were always a duo, and the teachers always put us in the same class. It just happened, but he saved me, that day."

She fell silent, as I looked around, reminiscing our shared past. Hyunwoo had always been here when nobody was, and I always felt guilty. I knew he could have a lot of friends if it wasn't for me, but he always sticked by my side, making sure I was never alone.

"- You guys are good friends, it's nice to see you met someone who's important for you."

I smiled at her, bitterly. I always regretted that she had to move. We had such a deep relationship. 

"- I missed you, you know, she said. I always wondered what you were up to. I'm glad you grew up nicely. 
 - It's all thanks to Hyunwoo. But I have to admit I'm happy we ran into each other today."

Our conversation went on, about her life, and about mine. We laughed a lot, she told me jokes, memories, anecdotes. We didn't stop talking until I heard Lin's voice.

"- Mia ! My break is ending, so we should head up to the store.
 - Alright, Mia responded with a smile. She turned to me. I'm glad I saw you again."

I told her I felt the same, and we exchanged our phone numbers, promising to keep in touch this time and to see each other again during the summer.

We got out of the mall and jumped into my car, both in a good mood. I didn't dare to ask what happened between Lin and him, but I knew it went well, because his eyes were still shining with a happy spark.
It wasn't until we were halfway to his house that he opened his mouth.

"- So who is she ?
 - Who ? Mia ?
 - Yeah.
 - She was my first love."