Chapter Three

Polaroid Picture

This decision wasn't that easy to keep. My heart kept going back to him, to his smile, to the way he loved me when I didn't.

But days passed, and I didn't see him at all. I was even wondering if he truly had come back, because nothing showed signs of his presence in this neighbourhood. Maybe Hee lied, or he had left again. I hoped he did, because forgetting him was so much easier when I knew he wasn't near me.

I was curious, of what he did during those past two years and how he grew up. Was he still so insecure about himself that he took it on others, by picking up on them ? Did he still grin instead of smiling with his whole face ? I realized he never really smiled until he was sure we were alone.

But Wonho was nowhere to find, and that thought reassured me a little, even though I was nervous everytime I went outside.

Today was a rainy day, and I was alone. We had plans, Hyunwoo and I, to go back to the beach for a little suntanning moment, but we had to cancel because of the weather. I lived alone, since my parents moved out a few years back. So I was basically trapped in my boredom, not knowing what to do, what to watch, or even what to eat. I was wandering in the corridors for the third time already when someone knocked on my door, so lightly that I thought I had misheard. I went back to my living room, and just when I tried to grab the remote to watch tv, the knocks returned, more intensively this time.

I sighed, and got up. Maybe it was Hyunwoo, if I was lucky. I was sure he was as bored as me, so he had maybe thought of coming over to be bored together. But I knew that it wasn't Hyunwoo's type to come unannounced. He would always text me before showing up.

I had no idea who it was. Minhyuk ? No, we weren't that close, and he didn't know my address. That left me with only college friends, who didn't know where I lived.

I walked to the door, and opened it in a brisk gesture. I didn't intend to scare the person who was behind it, but apparently I did, as I catched them jumping away in surprise.

At first, I didn't recognize him. His brown hair had been dyed blonde, and it suited him, even though I prefered his brown hair. He looked softer with darkish hair. He had lost weight, I could tell, but he was still the same, he nearly didn't age at all. He was still the first boy I fell in love with, and the last.

"- Hi", he murmured, apparently embarassed.

I was tempted to close the door on him, but he looked cold and wet. I could tell he had spent some time under the rain.

"- What are you doing here ? I asked, instead.

- Listen, I know you're probably not pleased to see me but..."

Pleased ? Of course I wasn't. I was not prepared to see him at my door. I had spent the last days trying to imagine how I would react when I would finally bumped into him. But nothing that I imagined was like what I was feeling.

I felt incredibly mad, pissed, and annoyed. How dared he appear to my house like that ? Not only he never announced himself, but he knew very well that I wouldn't want him to come. I was the one he left behind, and now he was trying to get me to forgive him ?

"- Yeah, I'm not. What do you want ?

- Nothing, I was just walking by in the rain and the rain suddenly got worse and I couldn't walk under it anymore.

- Here's an umbrella, I said, handing him the one that was hanging next to the door. You can go now, and never appear in front of me again.

- Hyungwon, I -

- I don't want to hear what you have to say, because if it was really important, you would have came back sooner.

- I couldn't, please Hyungwon...

- No, Wonho. Goodbye."

And I closed the door, tears filling my eyes, trying to take in what had just happened.

"- I'm going to wait for you."

I could hear behind the closed door. His voice was muffled by the wood between the two of us. I heard him sit, his back slipping down the door.

"- I'm going to wait for you, he murmured again. I know it'll take time, but I hope one day you'll forgive me. I don't even need your forgiveness, because I can't even forgive myself. I just want you to understand that I didn't have the choice. One day, I'll explain it to you, once you accept to talk to me. I'll give you time. All the time you want. But I hope you'll understand."

I sat by the door, probably back to back with him. I couldn't hear him anymore, as he fell silent, but I knew he was still here. He wasn't waiting for me to open, I knew that. But he was still here, making sure I knew he was back.

And somehow, my heart fell at peace. That was all I needed to know.

 

That he was here, by my side