One Last Try

One Last Try

Chapter 14 

 

Another day had gone by and Yuri was finally back to worked. She had regained some sort of normalcy in her life and was trying to make that a constant. Yunho had continued his daily visits, adding phone calls now that she had returned to worked but he still hadn't mentioned the divorced. Tired of waiting for the ax to dropped, so to speak, Yuri called her attorney and set up a meeting. There were things they needed to agreed upon regarding their life together. As much as she wanted to make a clean break, five years weren't simply going to vanished neatly into the air. 

 

Besides, they had the child to considered and provide for. Yunho would be more than fair. He would give their baby anything and everything. That was fine with Yuri because she didn't want anything from Yunho herself. She had loved their penthouse and every piece of furniture they put into it but she would walked away from that, too. It was easier that way. 

 

"Tomorrow at noon." Yunho spoke into the phone, while sitting in his office, "I will be there." 

 

Hanging up the phone, he sat back in his chair and contemplated his life once again. Well, no, not this time. He knew where he had gone wrong and he knew how he could make it better but his plan meant nothing if Yuri wasn't on board. His mom, Taehee and in a weird way Jihoon had been a great support in this time, telling him how wrong he was and how much they still loved him, making him feel better than he had anticipated. 

 

He had been seeing Yuri even though they were separated. No, she hadn't come back to the penthouse and he hadn't so much as kissed her since the night they had made loved but he loved her just as fiercely. 

 

She was taking care of herself. Taking the medication to hold the contractions at bay every four hours just as the doctor prescribed. She had gone back to worked and while he would have preferred she stayed at home, he saw how being with her students complete her. 

 

In all their time together, he had never really noticed how vibrant and energetic she was when she was teaching but on her first day back, worried and unsure of how things would turned out, he had stayed at the school all day long and watched her from a distance. The school principal hadn't been too happy about that but she had come around after he had used his Jung charm. As the day had progressed, he's seen her reading to the students as they all sat around her on a colorful rug. The children, and him as well if he had to be truthful, were mesmerized by her voice. Never had he heard Charlotte's Web read with such emotion, such genuine feeling. His heart had swelled with loved for her and pity for his own selfish blindness. 

 

He had left the school feeling pangs of jealousy that his child would hear that voice and see her smiling face every night before going to sleep and every morning upon awakening but he wouldn't. His cell phone had rung as he walked down the steps of the school. He had answered it in an agitated voice but quickly calm down at the news he received. It was with that in mind that Yunho called his office. 

 

"Called Mrs. Jung and informed her that I won't be stopping by her placed this evening. However, I will see her at the attorney's office tomorrow." 

 

If Hyoyeon had an opinion, she wisely kept it to herself. Yunho was supremely thankful. As much as he appreciated all the advice and urging from the people he was closest to, he wanted to handle his situation with his wife all by himself. 

 

Yuri took the day off from worked. The appointment at her attorney's office wasn't until four o'clock but she needed some time to get herself together. Sure, she had been the one to instigate the proceeding and this preemptive meeting was a way that she and Yunho could iron out all the issues so that the divorced itself would go smoothly. She had decided that would be the last thing she needed to go through was a messy divorced during her pregnancy. 

 

Although, she didn't really believe that things between her and Yunho would be messy. He was a fair man who would keep her and the baby's best interests in mind no matter what. To that end, she didn't want anything from him except support for their child. She knew that there were women who would called her ten times a fool but she didn't give a damn. What she and Yunho had shared could never garner a price tagged. She didn't want his money; she had wanted his loved and since she couldn't have that and his active participation in their marriage, she didn't want anything. She prayed that she and Yunho could remain cordial but she didn't believe that would be an issued either. Yunho still called her and came to see her. He was very concerned about her and the baby and he never hesitated to offered his services for whatever she needed. Except, he never touched her. 

 

He didn't attempt to kissed her or to even hold her. When she had told him she felt the baby moved, he had been ecstatic and had tentatively reached out a hand towards her stomach to feel for himself. The warmth that spread through her at his touched was overwhelming and it took everything in her not to throw her arms around him. She would probably always feel this way about Yunho but knew that the stand she was taking was one she couldn't afford to back down from. He seem to understand. Well, she took his silence as understanding. No more did he try to convinced her that he would change and that they belong together. All his reconciliation arguments had ceases. That was what broke her heart and what had her hiding in her apartment all day. It was one thing to know that she was leaving for all the right reasons. It was another to know that he was willing to let her go but she hadn't given him much choice, had she? 

 

This was the right thing for all of them. Yunho needed to be free to loved his life the way he wanted. He didn't deserved to have her nagging at him to be a better husband. Worked was his life, he had told her that. He had something to prove and he was determine to prove it to whomever he thought was interested. 

 

However, she needed something different. Something she wasn't even going to looked for in another man. Her idea of a family now had to shift to her child. Her mom and brother were being quiet on the situation all of a sudden. Her mom felt liked she had given her advice and Yuri had taken from it what she wanted to used. Her brother couldn't bring himself to side with either her or Yunho. He simply wanted what was best for his sister and Jooeun had come to see Yuri at the hospital and again, when she had come home. The woman was possibly the biggest source of strength Yuri had ever had. Absolutely nothing got the best of her. Jooeun still believe that Yunho and Yuri would worked it out but told Yuri to stick to her guns. She had also told her that she had always be family. 

 

So, it was with slow but determine steps that Yuri entered the offices of Yoon&Yang LLC, located in one of the many skyscrapers in downtown Seoul. She heard her own voice, small and just a little shaky, as she told the receptionist who she was and her reason for being there. Yunho and his attorney obviously hadn't arrived yet since she was the only one in the waiting room. She took a seat in the chairs, forgoing the many magazines spread out on the table before her. Instead, she placed her Serenity Rosetti tip top satchel purse in her lap and looked around the office. The plushed carpet was hunter green. The walls separated by a Cherrywood chair rail, a paisley print wallpaper on the bottom half and the top half painted burgundy. The receptionist sat behind a marble-topped, mantel-liked desk, once she was sitting, Yuri could only see the top of her head. She could hear the phones ringing and wondered if every called was another couple getting divorced. 

 

Her heart thumped and her hands shook a little but Yuri willed herself to calm down. This had to be done. She would feel better when it was finished but it had to be done regardless. She was in the midst of psyching herself up when she heard the receptionist calling her name. 

 

"Mrs. Jung?" 

 

Yuri jumped up, out of her seat, "Yes?" She answered, wondering now if she would keep her last name after the divorced. 

 

"They are ready for you in the conference room A. It's just down that hall and around the cornered." The receptionist said, as she stood up and pointed. 

 

Yuri smiled, "Thank you." 

 

She walked towards the door with her fingers gripping her purse for dear life. At the door, she paused and took a deep breath. Her reaction was ridiculous. She and Yunho could no longer live together as husband and wife. That didn't mean they couldn't be friends, that they couldn't shared this child and this child's life liked two mature adults. Steeling herself for what was to come, she turned the knobbed and entered the conference room.