After The Night

A Shinigami's Prince

Jongin was confused. Why was Kyungsoo here? He turned back to Taemin, searching for an answer. The older boy refused to meet his eyes. Turning back to Kyungsoo, he could tell that Kyungsoo was apprehensive about something. There was another man behind him as well, watching the encounter with solemn eyes.

“Jongin-ah, let’s leave okay?” Taemin asked gently, coming behind him. As Jongin let himself be led away, a sudden hand on his elbow caused them to stop.

“Why are you here Jongin?” Kyungsoo demanded, fear and uncertainty lacing his voice. “Nothing happened, right? You’re okay?”

“I—I’m fine,” he stammered out, “there was an accident… but I’m fine now”

  1. paled considerably until the man appeared behind them to guide him away. Jongin watched them go as an odd feeling came over him. Growing anxious, he blurted out questions to Taemin at a rapid speed. “Taemin, what was that? What is this place? Why is he here?”

But Taemin stayed silent, causing Jongin to spin around, face coming dangerously close to his, “Answer me,”

•••~|~•••

“Shinigamis are as old as time itself,” Taemin started, figuring that if he was going to explain everything, Jongin should know the basics. “—And their job is to show a human’s soul to the afterlife so that—”

“Wait. Why are you telling me this? I don’t see how this can—” Jongin trailed off, finally connecting all the dots together. His eyes widened, “Really? Are you really…?”

Taemin nodded, confirming what he was. Jongin sat back, a bit blown away by this new knowledge. He knew that something was different about the older man but to think that he was actually…a death god. So then was that other man from before also a shinigami? It would make sense…but what about…

“…Kyungsoo?” Jongin asked slowly, fear coating his voice. Taemin looked away, refusing to meet his eyes. He’s been doing a lot lately, he noticed. Standing up, Jongin walked out of the sitting room and into the vast hallways. He broke out into a run and started to throw open all the doors he came across, searching for the one Kyungsoo was led through.

“Jongin-ah, Jongin-ah calm down, please,” Taemin tried, following after him. He went ignored.

His eyes widened in alarm when he saw Jongin reaching for a dark wood door. It swung open from the inside before he could reach him.

Jongin froze when he saw someone standing in the doorway. He backed away when the person (who was probably a shinigami, his mind supplied) backed him into a wall.

“Taemin,” the new comer called out. Wearily, he came to stand beside them.

“This is Kim Jongin?” A nod came from Taemin, “I want him out of here,” and with that said, the stranger his heel and walked back into the room. Jongin sagged in relief, somehow he found himself intimidated by the shorter male.

“Kyungsoo isn’t over here…” Taemin informed quietly after a moment. Taking his hand, he led them into a neighbouring hallway. They stopped in front of a door that gave off an odd chill to Jongin and goose bumps crawled up his arms. As soon as they entered, his eyes scanned for his friend.

“Jongin”

•••~|~•••

After encountering Jonghyun, Taemin was slightly on edge. Not because of his hyung but because of what he can do. Gifted with ability to alter one’s mind, it’s something which he doesn’t have complete control of and can do irreversible damage. He didn’t want any accidents to happen while the younger boy was present.

Left with barely any choices, he gave up and took him to Minho’s office.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo called as he walked back into the room. Approaching the younger, Kyungsoo was enveloped in a tight hug by Jongin. A small surge of unfamiliar, negative energy washed through Taemin at the sight. Minho gave him a warning look. Relaxing himself, he left the two friends in the sitting room.

“Calm down,” Minho whispered with a smile. Taemin promptly whacked him.

•••~|~•••

On a more somber note, Jongin had to keep his emotions under control as Kyungsoo explained everything to him.

After Jongin was called to the school’s office by his father, Kyungsoo couldn’t leave the school until late that night (...So how long has Jongin been here?) and on his way home, he explained that he could only remember a loud noise and bright lights before he saw Minho standing over him. Minho later told him that his death was quick and painless as he was hit head on by a speeding vehicle. Kyungsoo was forced to leave before the paramedics could even arrive but he knew they were close, having heard them in the distance. Jongin had to ask him to stop many times as he couldn’t handle Kyungsoo emotionless explanation.

Just as Jongin was going to say something, Minho came back.

“He has to go, Jongin”

•••~|~•••

Taemin and Minho could only watch as the two gave each other one last embrace. Then, Kyungsoo hoisted himself closer to Jongin’s ear and Taemin could see him saying something. The other completely froze up. Minho left his side to go and take the boy out of the room. As Kyungsoo was being led out, he gave a sad smile to Taemin and he understood what was said between the two.

When the door finally fell shut, Jongin collapsed on the floor, sobs racking through his body. Taemin was at his side in an instant. Collecting the broken hearted boy in his arms, he felt completely useless as Jongin continued to cry out.

Rocking back and forth, Jongin kept replaying Kyungsoo’s last words to him.

Please Jongin-ah, live out your life, for me.

End

 

A/N

IT IS FINSIHED!!!! I'm sorry for not updating in a while because I didn't know how to end this. Anyways, tell me your thoughts on my fist chaptered story (my Exo one doesn't count). I hope the ending made sense?? So now, I think I'm going to focus on one shots for a while because chaptered fics aren't my cup of tea when it comes to writing. If you have any suggestions for a one shot, please tell me (I'm always looking for more prompts ^^)

But anyways, thanks so much for reading!!!!