The god of Death

A Shinigami's Prince

“Lee-ssi,” a knock on the door sounded. Taemin looked up from his desk, to the other shinigami standing by the door. In his hands, he held a small gray envelope. Taemin rose from his seat, approaching the other man with growing dread. Taking the envelope, he gently closed his door, blocking the lower classed god from seeing its contents. He waited until his footsteps sounded away.

Opening it, a single white card fell out. On it was the name Kim Jongin and his day of death. Taemin sighed, knowing they only called him out when the cause of death is far too horrible and gruesome for the regular classed shinigamis. But reading his information, a spark of hope flared up in Taemin. Maybe it’s not too late to help this kid…

•••~|~•••

“Hello, Jongin” A voice sneered from behind him. His eyes widened a fraction before he was pushed roughly from behind. He stumbled and another shove had him on the ground. His knees ached from the collision to the hard tiled floors. He couldn’t even attempt to get up before a boot connected with his side. Groaning, he rolled over, trying to protect himself.

Laughter rang out as his assaulters took turns kicking him. A yell echoed through the halls just as Jongin came face to face with a black studded boot.

•••~|~•••

A sharp jolt had him startling awake. Opening his eyes, Jongin could barely make out anything until his vision started to clear. Blinking, he realized he was in a hospital room. Slowly and carefully, he turned to see another student seated at his bedside.

When Kyungsoo turned, Jongin’s eyes fell shut. Staying as still as possible, he waited to see what the other would do.

“Oh, Jongin…” he started, sadness evident in his voice, “you shouldn’t let them do this to you…” He broke off suddenly and Jongin opened his eyes just in time to see him walk out. He sighed. Kyungsoo somehow always managed to show up whenever he got hurt. Yet, they barely ever talked. He was just…there.

“I see you’re awake,” commented the doctor as he walked in. Jongin managed to sit himself up with some difficulty as he came closer. Then the doctor flipped through his papers before walking out suddenly. Jongin blinked after his retreating figure. Deciding he was far too sore to think, he got comfortable and was soon fast asleep.

•••~|~•••

“He’s on your list, isn’t he” The doctor asked but it wasn’t a question. Taemin nodded. Sighing, he placed Jongin’s papers on a nearby desk and turned to face the other shinigami.

“If he’s on your list, there’s nothing you can do,”

“Hyung,” Taemin interrupted, “have you ever heard of miracles?”

Kibum sighed, nodding his head, “You can’t purposefully turn a human into a miracle”

Taemin shook his head, refusing to listen.

“One look at that boy and it’s obvious what the cause of death is going to be” Kibum went on as Taemin kept shaking his head. “He’s giving up and I can guess he doesn’t have much time left”

Taemin stopped, looking away. Kibum sighed once again.

You’re a shinigami who saves people, hyung”

Kibum just gave him a sad smile.

“I won’t stop you but please be careful”

•••~|~•••

Jongin

Jongin awoke with a start. Frantically glancing around, he calmed down once he saw he was still in the hospital room. But he froze then, the hairs on the back of his neck rising. He felt eyes watching him.

•••~|~•••

Taemin cocked his head to the side. The boy’s heart rate was rapidly increasing. Then he turned his head. Their eyes met for a split second before Taemin disappeared in surprise. He could see him?

•••~|~•••

What the hell was that? Jongin thought; too scared to move. It vanished before he could get a proper look.

“Jongin-ssi” He jumped at the sound of the doctor’s voice coming from behind him.

“Are you okay?” He looked down at him worriedly. The boy was far paler than normal.

“F-fine” Jongin stuttered.

“Well, your vitals are good now so you’re free to leave but you did get a minor concussion, so be careful” he paused, contemplating something. “Would you mind telling me what happened?”

“Nothing happened, doctor, I was just clumsy”

Jongin knew the doctor didn’t believe him but he refused to say anything more. Besides, he thought, what is he going to do if he knew? Getting out of the bed, he walked around the doctor to collect his bag and clothes. He bowed to the doctor before leaving the room.

•••~|~•••

“Hyung,” Taemin called out as he came to stand beside Kibum. “He saw me”

Kibum paused, was that why he looked so scared?

“I think your face terrified him,”

“Hyung” Taemin whined before leaving.

Kibum smiled and laughed at the younger but on the inside, he felt a growing sense of anxiety. Humans are not supposed to see a shinigami unless they want to be seen. Kibum knew Taemin was hiding but Jongin could still see him… His smile disappeared as he walked out of the now vacant room.

•••~|~•••

Jongin sighed as he watched the clouds laze across the sky. Then he heard voices come up to him. Peaking over, he looked down and saw a lone boy singing. Jongin watched as the boy walked through the abandoned train cars and continued to sing. Lying back down on the roof of the train, Jongin just listened to the other’s voice as it floated up to him. Relaxation washed over him and he felt calm for the first time in a long while.

A poke to his cheek had Jongin opening his eyes. The singing boy was crouched next to him.

“Oh, I thought you were dead,” the boy sighed in relief, seating himself next to him. Jongin gave him a judgmental stare.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in school? You don’t seem much older than me,” Jongin rolled over, ignoring him. The boy went silent.

“…I didn’t want to go today…” Jongin answered quietly.

“Won’t your parents get mad?”

“…They don’t care…”

“I see,” Jongin felt the boy lay down beside him and he slowly inched as far as he could without falling off the train. The silence wasn’t awkward and Jongin felt himself growing comfortable as the minutes passed.

The sun was setting when the boy announced that he had to leave. Jongin watched him climb down and walk away. A feeling of sadness washed over him as he disappeared. Jongin left soon after.

•••~|~•••

“What is this?” a harsh voice asked when Jongin shut the front door. He jumped and looked down as a hand hit the wall beside his head. A white slip of paper was shoved in front of his face.

“Hospital fees,” Jongin whispered. A calloused hand roughly grabbed his chin.

“You will look at me when I’m speaking,” Jongin tried to not glare at the man he called “dad” as he met his eyes. His nose curled in disgust when he smelt all the alcohol on his breath. The hand shoved his face away and the hospital bill fell to his feet.

“You’ll pay for this,” then his dad lumbered away and collapsed on the couch. His mother was just as gone as she lay sprawled on the floor. Jongin refused to spare them a glance as he walked to his room. Slamming the door, he sat by his desk.

His head fell into his hands and exhaustion settled on his shoulders. There is no one…He thought, who would ever miss someone like him. Jongin could feel himself fall into a dark abyss and he didn’t even try to fight it. Dark thoughts floated around him and Jongin could feel himself begin to drown.

No one cares…He doesn’t matter…there’s no point…

His body went numb and Jongin was useless to do anything. He just felt so heavy, too many thoughts raced through his head and yet, he couldn’t think at all. His head was both crowded and empty. He wanted desperately to rid himself of the numbness but he couldn’t even feel his legs.

I want it to stop…